Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PierreTheMime posted:

ive taken no less than a dozen recruiter calls for the job i just quit. its not every day you get the job description you wrote read back to you by hopeful 3rd parties

yeah that happened to me, I didn't write the description but I got calls about it for about 3 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My project finished and some coworkers are shopping for new work. I probably should too but feeling real lazy atm

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you should at least be "shopping" so they feel like they need to incentivize you to stay when all of your colleagues leave

Iverron
May 13, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

ive taken no less than a dozen recruiter calls for the job i just quit. its not every day you get the job description you wrote read back to you by hopeful 3rd parties

this but a few weeks from now and I will enjoy it so much

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
being secretive with salary has never served me well, especially in this economy where employers are screaming for developers.

my tactic is a) apply to several jobs at once and b) pick a number so
high your almost ashamed to say it and then add 10%. tell them this number as early in the process as possible. this way, they will
say "no thanks" early and you can focus on the other jobs your applying for OR you go on and they have to talk you down from a stupid high number.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

by talking about my salary and expectations with my coworkers, i was encouraged by another to ask for more during a negotiation and i got it. this was really helpful when put on the spot to give a number as well. it pays to talk about your salary imo

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Diva Cupcake posted:

are there any positives to having a federal job? other than the alternative being poverty and despair.

defined benefit pension plan, decent benefits, legitimate work life balance. i have never worked an hour of overtime, a night, a weekend, or gotten a phone call outside of work which is extremely rare for someone in my field. by working a fed job you will probably be doing very important things far earlier in your career than you would elsewhere but this probably depends more on your field than anything else

all for the low low cost of being significantly underpaid

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

unpacked robinhood posted:

a startup near me put a job ad where they talk about regular geeking days, fun meetings and reference star wars.
I sent them a b&w picture of me standing in a forest with hashtags floating around and a phone number.

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

so are you ceo yet

they removed the ad 24hrs later so i expect a call any time

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

double ohm seven posted:

being secretive with salary has never served me well, especially in this economy where employers are screaming for developers.

my tactic is a) apply to several jobs at once and b) pick a number so
high your almost ashamed to say it and then add 10%. tell them this number as early in the process as possible. this way, they will
say "no thanks" early and you can focus on the other jobs your applying for OR you go on and they have to talk you down from a stupid high number.

not saying a number first is good if you're uninformed: new grad, new region, totally new role or field

otherwise it's fine or good to set the anchor. and yeah, you should be ashamed to say it just a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGAmPRxV48

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Never really got the whole "never say a number first", it never loving works. Just say the highest of your expectations. It's really not hard folks.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
stay classy epic. they're withholding the tuition from the last class i took from my next paycheck because it ended sooner than 2 years ago (it started >2 years ago though). i am so hosed, theres no way im gonna be able to pay my bills next month. amazing.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

cis autodrag posted:

stay classy epic. they're withholding the tuition from the last class i took from my next paycheck because it ended sooner than 2 years ago (it started >2 years ago though). i am so hosed, theres no way im gonna be able to pay my bills next month. amazing.

wtf and I'm guessing the contract for that is worded so that they can gently caress you over to maximum effect?

gently caress epic to the max

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

wtf and I'm guessing the contract for that is worded so that they can gently caress you over to maximum effect?

gently caress epic to the max

yep. i emailed angrily at her and she replied "sorry that class ended july 17th 2015, that's the date we have to use". they are charging me 2200 dollars for not waiting 10 days.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
im talking to the relocation guy tomorrow so hopefully we can get the relocation allowance moved along fast enough to cover it but still what bullshit.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

cis autodrag posted:

yep. i emailed angrily at her and she replied "sorry that class ended july 17th 2015, that's the date we have to use". they are charging me 2200 dollars for not waiting 10 days.

jfc they wont even pro rate it?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dislike button posted:

jfc they wont even pro rate it?

i emailed back something pithy basically saying this. i gave her the amount i calculated for a prorated 10 days and said she was making epic seem vengeful.

whatever, they basically just told me "you've done all the work you're gonna get paid for this month, relax".

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jesus if a company tried to pull that with me I'd just show up, sit at my desk and do literally nothing for my remaining time

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qirex posted:

jesus if a company tried to pull that with me I'd just show up, sit at my desk and do literally nothing for my remaining time

literally catching up on the twin peaks tviv thread right now, lol. i was working because i cared about my project, but lol if im gonna work for free.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

can you steal exactly $2200 worth of office equipment on your way out?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my job cancelled hundreds of thousands of dollars in unvested RSUs when I left.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

that's normal though

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

'tis a little difference. they're clawing back money from my normal paycheck because i put my end date 10 days too early out of 2 years. if you're setting your monthly budget based on rsus then idkwtf.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qirex posted:

can you steal exactly $2200 worth of office equipment on your way out?

i was going to do this anyway given how much they bitch about the cost of pens and why can't everyone just stop losing their pens

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

apple's relocation people might be able to help

are they giving you a hiring bonus to cover help cover some of this?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

dang that company sucks my rear end

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

apple's relocation people might be able to help

are they giving you a hiring bonus to cover help cover some of this?

yeah, once i actually get the relocation and signing bonus i should be fine, but we didn't exactly plan to be short on july 1st and most of our bills are due that week. i'll figure something out, but i'm more just frustrated at how epic just relentlessly kicks you in the dick and then wonder why their turnover is huge and their reputation sucks.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

it's like n vs. k strategy for managing employees

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
intel only had 1 year for paid out tuition, 2 is just ridiculous

also left 5 figgies of RSU's on the table to get out

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

lmao spotted in the wild

quote:

We’re creating a different kind of company at PoopFactory. We promise we will be never be ordinary. There will be many days you simply aren’t comfortable. You will be pushed to accomplish more than you ever thought possible. You will be challenged by your team leader and your peers to achieve more and to find better ways. With that said, we know PoopFactory is not for everyone. BUT, if you believe in yourself, enjoy a challenge and appreciate working with exceptional people, then PoopFactory could very well be the last company you ever work for.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

lmao spotted in the wild

we will torment and extort you emotionally until you are a hollow reflection of yourself. we know this isn't for everybody but if you hate yourself please apply.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

lmao spotted in the wild

yeah rip

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

quote:

PoopFactory could very well be the last company you ever work for

no one is reading this the way the person who wrote it intended them to

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

lmao spotted in the wild

Poopfactory eh? I didn't realize YOSPOS was hiring

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

cis autodrag posted:

yeah, once i actually get the relocation and signing bonus i should be fine, but we didn't exactly plan to be short on july 1st and most of our bills are due that week. i'll figure something out, but i'm more just frustrated at how epic just relentlessly kicks you in the dick and then wonder why their turnover is huge and their reputation sucks.

probably has to do with why theyre hqed in madison

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I can hear it, the sounds of the whispering winds of figgies

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Iverron posted:

I can hear it, the sounds of the whispering winds of figgies

they say "p deece, p deece" in hushed tones barely audible

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I haven't even given notice yet and senioritis is already starting. It's gonna be a long ~1.5 months

Iverron
May 13, 2012

DuckConference posted:

I haven't even given notice yet and senioritis is already starting. It's gonna be a long ~1.5 months

:same: but gently caress this place it's only getting two weeks

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DuckConference posted:

not caring is the best. try to enjoy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

not caring is the best. try to enjoy it

I still care a little bit because I overall like these people

I mean I don't want to get used to it and start New Job in slacker mode or something

• Locked thread