Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
7.5km by bike, 10km by car one way. Takes 20-25 minutes depending on wind, traffic and timing of the lights.

An hour commute would kill me. Couldn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I easily do 100 miles a day round trip.

Thank goodness for my TDI.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I walk 5 minutes to work

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Maksimus54 posted:

12 mile commute, if I have to drop the kiddo off at daycare it's an hour, if not about 30 minutes. 45-75 to get home

Seattle, right? At my last job my commute was 5.9 miles(greenwood to the convention center downtown), without traffic? ~15 minutes. normal day? 30 minutes if you get lucky, anywhere up to 90+ minutes. It got to a point where I made a deal with my boss to work mornings/evenings at home and come into the office when there is no traffic. Which then turned into going to the office pretty much only for meetings.

My current commute is walking down to my basement office. Pretty sweet, but I have to fly to SF to go into my office.

BraveUlysses posted:

well im still being forced to take a job (unless i want to be fired) that's 26 miles each way, 45 m in the morning driving, 60-90m to drive home.

Or i can take the bus which requires driving to a park and ride, and transferring busses half way there, 60 min each way on the bus.

of course i'm not going to be compensated any extra for losing 5 hours a week of free time

gently caress this gay earth

Boeing? Pretty sure the exact same thing happened to a friend of mine recently.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I know we've had this discussion but what is everyone's commute? Currently I'm 21 miles, ~30 minutes

52 miles, anywhere from. 60-90 minutes.

Telecommute 2 days per week.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

11 km, 15-20 minutes, living in Victoria, BC. 8 of those km are on a more or less empty freeway.

We're building a new office though, so next year it'll be 20 km and about 25-30 minutes (most of which is on a different but more or less empty freeway so it's opposite the rush hour traffic both ways).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My commute is about 12 KMs, takes all of 7-8 minutes since it's highway once we leave our subdivision.

Work, however, is drat near half my day, sometimes even more, of driving :smithicide:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I know we've had this discussion but what is everyone's commute? Currently I'm 21 miles, ~30 minutes
10 miles, 15-20 minutes, depending on traffic. 75% freeway.

And I still bitch about the time it takes me.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Mine was 76 miles one way until the plant closed. Took about 1:17.

Now it's 80 miles one way to the airport. Takes 2:15 going because it goes from central to Eastern. If I actually had to go see my boss, and it's been nearly a year, it's 134mi one way.

Good thing I live in the Midwest.

On another note, hand calculated the mpg on my motorcycle. It says it gets 37, it actually got 28 which is pretty poo poo. I need to lose some weight.

rdb fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 13, 2017

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

A little over 2 miles
15 mins by bike (hey I'm new to this whole pedal thing)
~30 mins walk
5 mins car

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

15 miles, 25 minutes usually. I'm pretty content with it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

60km (or about 66'ish if we are picking up our carpool people).
45 minutes to an hour of highway where there is a higher chance of seeing moose (and wolves and whatnot) than any traffic not heading to the same place as us.
Its actually kind of a nice drive unless its icy/snowy out, then gently caress this highway.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Mario Kart hasn't been good since 64. It was after that point they inserted massive rubber-band AI and the non-randomness of the pick ups became massively apparent. It became less of a game of being good at racing with the occasional hit from a power up to a massive clusterfuck of no fun and getting pounded repeatedly by things from people in last place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJHRf8PBqIE

http://imgur.com/LWefMGU

http://imgur.com/Ixm1nPp

I couldn't get the mp4 to embed. Sorry :(

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 13, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

everdave posted:

You are supposed to test the lines and stuff with soapy water on a gas grill (lol haven't done it in years) but barring 1 in a millions explosions propane grills are safe

The big killer for propane grills is the internal lines at the burners rusting out and creating a situation where much more gas is coming out than expected all in one place. For a real barn burner, it can melt the controls.

Inspect your grill every couple months, cover it when not using it, and don't leave it out in the snow and you shold be fine.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

NitroSpazzz posted:

if I go the easy way - 3.1 miles, 14 minutes, not accounting for traffic or stoplights

(1/5th of that is spent in first gear and ~2000 rpm, coasting downhill)

if I go the "quick" way its 2.6 miles and 9 minutes. I rarely go that way it b/c there is an exceptionally bad patch of road on that route

ed : except for Thursdays when its ~65 miles and 2 hours. 3 hours if I take the ferry.

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 13, 2017

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I'm about 11 miles from work. Time varies depending on when I'm scheduled to go in between 20 mins(at 3am) to over an hour around 8 or 9. Also dependent on whether I drive or take the bus. Bus takes a little longer but the stop is a 5 min walk from the house and no worries about trying to park in downtown DC. I only drive anymore if I have to be in before the buses start running.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
91kms one way. Mostly by train and cycle. gently caress commuter driving.

Plus getting in at 6am is nice to GTFO before 3pm. Out the door at 430am does get old tho

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

At last, after over a year, I drove my $500 Datsun to work.

It did fine! We took it to lunch too. Despite my early hopes the A/C does not, in fact, work, a fact that shouldn't surprise considering it sat in a driveway for 10 years.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

On commuting, I am just a tick over seven miles door to door. I don't even have to get on a freeway. Surface streets typically take 15-20 minutes depending on how I hit the timing on the lights.

The Midniter posted:

How un/safe is it to keep my propane grill on my deck? It's got wooden railings and a trex floor. I grill about once a week, the only time I'm not actively outside with the grill is when it's initially heating up, and I turn it off as soon as I'm done using it.

My wife's coworker's husband is a firefighter and she's had the fear of god put into her over this. I like it where it is.

They might have been mistaking your grill for a charcoal grill. Every apartment I have had and our condo was strictly NO CHARCOAL OR PELLET GRILLS. They were cool with propane grills though. I always make sure to turn off the gas at the tank valve and not just the nob on the front of the grill.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

25 miles 30 minutes. When they replace 2 of those roundabouts with flyovers that'll be down to 20 minutes.

I'm going to Santa pod this weekend, camping with dad and brothers and I'm going to take my panda down the track against my little brothers 1500 spitfire. He should win but if he doesn't I'll give him poo poo for it forever :v:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I've got a 4.5 mile commute. Takes about 15 minutes depending on the lights. Probably around 30 by bike but I haven't HTFU'd enough yet to tackle it since my habit is to wake up as late as possible and, dammit, that's 15 more minutes of sleep!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm going to take my panda down the track against my little brothers 1500 spitfire. He should win but if he doesn't I'll give him poo poo for it forever :v:
That's enough time to fit a nitrous kit...

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

70 mile roundtrip, only maybe 4 miles of which is through town. Takes me an hour and a half total per day. I've been doing this for going on 11 years, part of my motivation for a masters is to work closer to home.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I've been working from home since February and I miss having a commute. 30 mins each way is perfect for me. Just enough time to wake up or decompress.

I work all around the place when I'm out of the office so I still get plenty of travelling... 7 hour round trip to site tomorrow!

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm going to Santa pod this weekend, camping with dad and brothers and I'm going to take my panda down the track against my little brothers 1500 spitfire. He should win but if he doesn't I'll give him poo poo for it forever :v:

My money is on the panda :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stump posted:

My money is on the panda :v:
No joke, one of my life goals is to have an 80s Panda with a truly ridiculous amount of power, just for a laugh.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

No joke, one of my life goals is to have an 80s Panda with a truly ridiculous amount of power, just for a laugh.

I would drive the gently caress out of a Fiat Panda 4x4 from the 1980s

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

I would drive the gently caress out of a Fiat Panda 4x4 from the 1980s
Hah, I own two of them.

Edit: I really need to get round to putting one of them back together and driving it again.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 13, 2017

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

have you seen one at a 4x4 funday? - you don't need the power! ;)

Also, I have just noticed that 2nd gen 4x4 panda's appear to be now under the £1500 point...

I wanted one 3 years ago when I got my Aygo but they were too expensive. They are not now!

What do i need to be aware of on 2005-2008 4x4 pandas with 70-90k miles on? I love the Aygo but after 140k the drivers seat is hosed and hurts my back and I want aircon and a sunroof and 5 doors...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

TV chat -- I have a 65" Costco Vizio in my family room. It's running 1080p fed by a Tivo Bolt using a cablecard though an HDMI cable after going through a Yamaha HDMI receiver.

I was on vacation last week and the hotel had a ~50" LG fed by a coax cable showing about 60 channels.

That LG was brutally sharp. Sharper than what I have at home by a damned sight.

So... is the LG screen better because it's got a better pixel density? Is the Vizio just crap? Is the coax line feed better than what I'm using? I've seen sharpness improvements using over-the-air signals, but not from a cable feed...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

have you seen one at a 4x4 funday? - you don't need the power! ;)

Also, I have just noticed that 2nd gen 4x4 panda's appear to be now under the £1500 point...

I wanted one 3 years ago when I got my Aygo but they were too expensive. They are not now!

What do i need to be aware of on 2005-2008 4x4 pandas with 70-90k miles on? I love the Aygo but after 140k the drivers seat is hosed and hurts my back and I want aircon and a sunroof and 5 doors...
Ah, no, I don't want a 4x4 Panda with more power (I've been the guy at a funday in one), plus they're a bit rare to tit about with now - I cancelled my original plan to modify one of mine with big tyres and a diesel, as it's a bit too good to do that to.

What I want is probably something close to a silhouette racer. Definitely Panda shaped but loony power.

I don't know a huge amount about the "new" Pandas, but be aware the 4x4 system is now a viscous based one, not the mechanical spline engagement of old, and they don't quite have the same off-road capability. Probably a much better daily driver though.

The engines are the venerable FIRE units that started in the mid-80s Panda, and they're very well proven, I doubt there's anything to be particularly concerned with there, plus seeing as they also put the 1.3 Multijet diesel in them, the gearbox shouldn't be at all troubled by the petrol engine's output.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Midniter posted:

How un/safe is it to keep my propane grill on my deck? It's got wooden railings and a trex floor. I grill about once a week, the only time I'm not actively outside with the grill is when it's initially heating up, and I turn it off as soon as I'm done using it.

My wife's coworker's husband is a firefighter and she's had the fear of god put into her over this. I like it where it is.

Uhhh where would they rather you keep it? Propane is pretty drat safe, unless a commercial tank leak is allowed to accumulate into the eaves and attic of a building.

Pretty sure most propane grill issues are when people don't light it immediately and a large volume of gas explodes as the person is leaning over the grill.

My commute to the office is 17 miles and 19 minutes, but I drive a service truck so I average 150 miles and 10-20 stops on my "return commute".

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Ah, no, I don't want a 4x4 Panda with more power (I've been the guy at a funday in one), plus they're a bit rare to tit about with now - I cancelled my original plan to modify one of mine with big tyres and a diesel, as it's a bit too good to do that to.

What I want is probably something close to a silhouette racer. Definitely Panda shaped but loony power.

I don't know a huge amount about the "new" Pandas, but be aware the 4x4 system is now a viscous based one, not the mechanical spline engagement of old, and they don't quite have the same off-road capability. Probably a much better daily driver though.

The engines are the venerable FIRE units that started in the mid-80s Panda, and they're very well proven, I doubt there's anything to be particularly concerned with there, plus seeing as they also put the 1.3 Multijet diesel in them, the gearbox shouldn't be at all troubled by the petrol engine's output.

I had a uno with the FIRE engine as my first car!

I know the new ones are not the same 'real' 4x4 as the old ones. I just want it over a normal one because 'panda 4x4'

There's a yellow 4x4 with aircon and panoramic roof and a tow bar on eBay for £1200 at a dealer but sadly it's a 2005 with 100k on which is a few years too old and slightly higher mileage than I'd like - but the right spec.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Seminal Flu posted:

TV chat -- I have a 65" Costco Vizio in my family room. It's running 1080p fed by a Tivo Bolt using a cablecard though an HDMI cable after going through a Yamaha HDMI receiver.

I was on vacation last week and the hotel had a ~50" LG fed by a coax cable showing about 60 channels.

So... is the LG screen better because it's got a better pixel density? Is the Vizio just crap? Is the coax line feed better than what I'm using? I've seen sharpness improvements using over-the-air signals, but not from a cable feed...

How old is your Vizio? Vizio TVs now are pretty good but I don't know about in the past. In short, I don't think there's an easy answer to why the hotel TV looked so much better. LG makes pretty good TVs these days too. Your TV could be a LED and the hotel TV is a OLED (it's the new hotness). It could be the difference between the source materials. It's hard to compare TVs when you're not using the same source material/hardware.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We have an 65" RCA we got at a Sears black friday sale

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Seminal Flu posted:

Pixel density is a huge one. 1080p on a 65" TV is a lot larger pixels than on a 50". It all depends on how far away you sit - the 65 would look better at a distance, but isn't as sharp at close distances. Sources, etc may also make a huge difference - as previously mentioned by someone else, without comparing apples to apples its REALLY hard to tell.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
My Vizio was 3 years old when I replaced it, but it behaved like it was 10 years old, and it also had a weird fuzzy picture, kind of like an upres-ed CRT. My new-ish Samsung was so gorgeous that when I first got it, I sat around in MGSV for like an hour, just rubbing my face against the textures because they now looked so pretty

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
ALL MY GODDAMNED PANTS ARE TOO BIG NOW

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Commute chat: it takes 45 minutes to go 18 miles. My team/company in general is outgrowing the space we are locked into for the next five years so I'm trying to convince my boss to move us to an office five miles from my house

Also my old commute was 1.5hr for 38 miles which almost killed me

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Just test drove a 97 Silverado from Craigslist. Looked okay. Ran pretty good, shifted nice. Only complaint would have been that the brakes were very vague despite having a new master cylinder and brake job all around. Thought I might have a winner, and then I noticed the coolant reservoir: bone dry.
I'm never going to find a goddamned truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My commute is 6 miles to school, usually about 20-30 minutes depending on if I stop at the convenience store.

On bad days it can take that long again to find parking.

• Locked thread