Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sessions' entire defense is that he hasn't got a loving clue what the agencies under his purview are doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Did he just connect the russian intelligence to the campaign?

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
So apparently we should never ever assume anything Trump says or does can be discussed because he might, at some point, invoke executive privilege on it.

...I'm kind of okay with that. Global silent treatment.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Spiritus Nox posted:

Sessions' entire defense is that he hasn't got a loving clue what the agencies under his purview are doing

The Gonzales defense

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LaserShark posted:

I know it doesn't, but how is it supposed to?

His excuse is that the President might eventually want to invoke executive privilege on the discussions he's had with Sessions, so Sessions answering those questions would preclude Trump from being able to do that. To date, Trump has not invoked executive privilege, so Sessions' move is absurd.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/874722577985490944

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Good hits by King, time for Lankford to cuddle with him.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
This whole strategy of declining to answer questions based on "The president has not invoked executive privilege but someday he might so my official answer is for you to go gently caress yourself" seems to be very effective

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Did he just connect the russian intelligence to the campaign?
Yaaaarp god I wish these guys got more time because he is juggling too many falsehoods to keep them all straight if grilled long enough.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

1. If you aren't disclosing something because the president might at a later date refuse to disclose it, that's still executive privilege.

2. Holy poo poo he just implied that the campaign collided with Russia

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

more accurate

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Oklahoma is a hell realm.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

"Are you invoking executive privilege?"

"No, I can't do that."

"Has the President invoked Executive Privilege regarding your testimony?"

"No."

"Why aren't you answering questions?"

"I am protecting the ability of the president to command the futurepast divergent information timeline disappear. Through uh.... Executive Privilege. In the future. Of yesternow."

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Eltoasto posted:

Good hits by King, time for Lankford to cuddle with him.

"Might I continue that handjob for you, General Sessions?"
"Please, be my guest."

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
lmao

"there is a long history of governments not giving us information, and those cases have been overturned by the courts. somehow i think this is supposed to be helping you."

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

This whole strategy of declining to answer questions based on "The president has not invoked executive privilege but someday he might so my official answer is for you to go gently caress yourself" seems to be very effective

Especially when Lankford takes the mic and immediately starts fondling his balls over it.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
Time for the elf blow job sessions.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

This is going to be the reason Trump fires Sessions.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Lankford just throws out a lot of words he knows and hopes that it sounds smart enough.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

HappyHippo posted:

The Gonzales defense

Oh man, I just found out something:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Gonzales posted:

His responses frustrated the Democrats on the committee, as well as several Republicans. One example of such frustration came in an exchange between Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama and Gonzales regarding a November 2006 meeting. Sessions is one of the most conservative members of the Senate, and was one of the Bush Administration's staunchest allies. At the meeting, the attorney firings were purportedly discussed, but Gonzales did not remember such discussion. As reported by the Washington Post, the dialogue went as follows:

GONZALES: Well, Senator, putting aside the issue, of course, sometimes people's recollections are different, I have no reason to doubt Mr. Battle's testimony [about the November meeting].

SESSIONS: Well, I guess I'm concerned about your recollection, really, because it's not that long ago. It was an important issue. And that's troubling to me, I've got to tell you.

GONZALES: Senator, I went back and looked at my calendar for that week. I traveled to Mexico for the inauguration of the new president. We had National Meth Awareness Day. We were working on a very complicated issue relating to CFIUS.

GONZALES: And so there were a lot of other weighty issues and matters that I was dealing with that week.[42]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RoanHorse posted:

2. Holy poo poo he just implied that the campaign collided with Russia

Typo, but not inaccurate

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

:perfect:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Does this chode think he's slick?

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer
I wasn't paying attention, what was the implied collusion with Russian intelligence?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Lankford testifies a whole bunch, also "Do you agree with that?"

"Yes Sen. Lankford sounds good"

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
King: "Do you think Russians interfered with 2016 election?"
Sessions: "Appears so."
King: "But you never asked about it?"
Sessions: "No."

sort of stunned me

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

AbDomen posted:

I wasn't paying attention, what was the implied collusion with Russian intelligence?

He said he didn't request info on Russian hacking because it would look bad since he was a member of the Trump campaign

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Google Butt posted:

Does this chode think he's slick?

Well imagine what kind of cretin you would have to be to back Trump early on before there was anything in it for you.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

I would agree with you if it weren't being a slow rollout, but it is.

I'd also agree with you if the senate map was the 2016 map, but the seats that are up are just terrible.

The ACA was also a slow rollout. The Dems are going to win Flake and Heller's seats in 2018. That puts them one death/retirement/scandal/Ted Cruz away from 51. it's doable.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Holy loving poo poo. So he says Russians colluded.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Madkal posted:

I might be wrong, but I thought in his opening statement that he called this just a rumor or false.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

"I don't not recall any of those individuals having any meeting with Russian officials."

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Seven "I don't recalls" in a row. Lucky that I'm watching this from work or I'd have made a drinking game out of this and started vomiting before 5 PM.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Hahahah who was the "doesn't seem like it"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
did i just hear a "doesn't seem like it" on a mic?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ask about Roger Stone tho

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Madkal posted:

i didn't hear that, what are you referring to?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Tom Cotton here to bring some legitimacy to the proceedings

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
gently caress you Cotton

"are you a super spy? how could you have done a collusion?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Lmao what the gently caress

• Locked thread