Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

iospace posted:

All I know is Nashville is going to go 4-4-1. No way they expose their first two pairings. Johansen and Forsberg are also probably going to be protected, but the other two forwards are up in the air.

They're gonna lose a good player somehow unless they do something. Hockey twitter keeps agitating on selling high on Josi as his league rep seems to outweigh his actual ranking (PK subban is not a top pairing blablablabla) and thus allow them to go 7-3-1 but I can't believe Poile would have the gumption to do that. Although he did trade Seth Jones and Weber so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Xtanstic posted:

They're gonna lose a good player somehow unless they do something. Hockey twitter keeps agitating on selling high on Josi as his league rep seems to outweigh his actual ranking (PK subban is not a top pairing blablablabla) and thus allow them to go 7-3-1 but I can't believe Poile would have the gumption to do that. Although he did trade Seth Jones and Weber so who knows.

I can't believe people are still underrsting Josi. He's a different style, but he and subban are definitely equal defenseman.

Protect the 4 D, protect Johansson, Forseberg, and Ardvidson, and just pick whatever other forward.

They'll probably lose Neal, but at this point I'm ok with that, he's replaceable, especially with the stupid penalties he took in the finals.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

stab posted:

why would you protect a UFA

I skipped breakfast and only had enough brain power to parse that players who didn't meet the 40/70 games mark still had to be protected.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

As of this moment, the Jackets protection would probably be:

Forwards
Nick Foligno (NMC)
Brandon Dubinsky (NMC)
Scott Hartnell (NMC)
Brandon Saad
Cam Atkinson
Boone Jenner
Alex Wennberg

Defensemen
Seth Jones
David Savard
Jack Johnson

Goalie
Sergei Bobrovsky (NMC)

Clarkson has a NMC but waived it for Vegas. If they trade him to vegas with some other stuff it will be to protect Josh Anderson or Wennberg as the final forward spot would be between those two guys. Or if they don't get that deal done with the promise, they buy out Hartnell.

As for defense, They could save Murray over Johnson but Murray has been poo poo so I hope they don't do that.

In goal, I think there's a very real chance Korpisalo is taken as a cheap backup but who knows.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 13, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And it's funny that you guys are talking about Nurse who is 21-22 because I feel like Pens fans forget that Maatta is also 22 and he had loving cancer.

I think the thing with Maatta is how many years does he get as a pass because of his injuries and illnesses. He's slow and his decision making process hasn't been quite enough to make up for it lately. Does he turn that around and improve it? Or maybe this is just what he is now

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

iospace posted:

All I know is Nashville is going to go 4-4-1. No way they expose their first two pairings. Johansen and Forsberg are also probably going to be protected, but the other two forwards are up in the air.

Forsberg, Arvidsson, and Johansen, then either Neal or Jarnkrok I would guess, barring some side deal.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Thufir posted:

Forsberg, Arvidsson, and Johansen, then either Neal or Jarnkrok I would guess, barring some side deal.

Jarnkrok is 4 years younger, on a cheaper contract and locked up for the next 5 years. I'd definitely lean towards him over Neal

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Preds extended Yannick Weber, 1 year 650k.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

Preds extended Yannick Weber, 1 year 650k.

That's a good deal, he was good for his role this season.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Duckman2008 posted:

I can't believe people are still underrsting Josi. He's a different style, but he and subban are definitely equal defenseman.

Protect the 4 D, protect Johansson, Forseberg, and Ardvidson, and just pick whatever other forward.

They'll probably lose Neal, but at this point I'm ok with that, he's replaceable, especially with the stupid penalties he took in the finals.

Moving Neal's 5m cap hit would give them enough capspace (22m+) to resign Johansen, Arvidsson, and Fisher then go after Duchene. Fisher is their #2 center and turning 37, but their top 4 D are 26-28 and top 3 F are 22-24. That's a team that can mortgage the future and offer a lot of picks/prospects for a guy like Duchene right now.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Flyinglemur posted:

Someone tell me which one of Olli's meds has the side effects of "May cause drowsiness, headaches, turnovers with machine-like-consistency, anal leakage" because I'm pretty sure he had 2 of those throughout the playoffs.

He's got the same thing I do. Thyroid can mess you up if under/over medicated since it affects baseline metabolism. Some of the effects:
- cognition, including anxiety and/or depression
- weight gain/loss
- sleep patterns
- temperature sensitivity
- pain sensitivity

And a ton of other things. That said, the science is pretty nailed down. When they were zeroing in on my dose I was having blood tests every two weeks, and I'm sure hockey players get access to crazy space medicine that's even better.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

If I had to guess what the Leafs will do

Forwards
Kadri
JVR
Bozak
Komarov
Brown
Leivo
Martin

Defense
Rielly
Gardiner
Carrick

Goalie
Andersen

That leaves Kerby Rychel, Seth Griffith, Brendan Leipsic, Eric Fehr, Joffrey Lupul, Ben Smith (lol) Alexey Marchenko, Martin Marincin, Antoine Bibeau and Garret Sparks as names of note not protected. If I had to guess I say the Leafs protect Leivo and Martin since Babcock loves Martin and Leivo at least looked good in a couple games this year. I can't imagine they protect Marincin over Carrick.

It also means they can approach Brian Boyle, Brendan Leipsic, Seth Griffith, Brooks Laich, Colin Greening, Hunwick and Polak early about signing them.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Bruins told Rinaldo be wasn't going to be qualified

3RD ROUND PICK

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Shawn Cotureier posted:

3RD ROUND PICK

Primo asset management

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Gonna be a boring rear end expansion draft because GMGM doesn't want to get his rear end force fed back to him by every active GM because he was a dick and swiped a good player using the entry draft fair and square. Remember the last time we saw a loving offer sheet and how that ended a career.

GMGM gonna take every backdoor make good deal to draft a weak rear end team and take on garbage salary to make sure he doesn't make waves and get blackballed immediately. Hell if Vegas knew what the gently caress it was doing it would have gotten some no name idiot to BPA the expansion draft then shitcan the temp idiot after a year and bring in a vet to "clean up the mess." That way you can actually score good players and contracts from the NHL squads the way the expansion draft is supposed to allow, without getting the blowback that playing by the rules would garner you.

Oh well, they don't have fans to disappoint anyway.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Captain Internet posted:

Gonna be a boring rear end expansion draft because GMGM doesn't want to get his rear end force fed back to him by every active GM because he was a dick and swiped a good player using the entry draft fair and square. Remember the last time we saw a loving offer sheet and how that ended a career.

GMGM gonna take every backdoor make good deal to draft a weak rear end team and take on garbage salary to make sure he doesn't make waves and get blackballed immediately. Hell if Vegas knew what the gently caress it was doing it would have gotten some no name idiot to BPA the expansion draft then shitcan the temp idiot after a year and bring in a vet to "clean up the mess." That way you can actually score good players and contracts from the NHL squads the way the expansion draft is supposed to allow, without getting the blowback that playing by the rules would garner you.

Oh well, they don't have fans to disappoint anyway.

This seems like a really weird opinion to me and I'm genuinely curious to see if you're right

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shawn Cotureier posted:

3RD ROUND PICK

eeeehehehehe

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Kevin Klein reportedly considering retiring from the NHL

e:

https://nypost.com/2017/06/13/rangers-kevin-klein-leaning-toward-retirement/

quote:

Sources report Klein, who was a healthy scratch for all but one playoff game following a regular season in which persistent lower back issues limited him to 60 games, is leaning toward leaving the NHL and continuing his career in Europe.

Individuals with knowledge of the situation stressed that a final decision has not been made even as the 32-year-old righty defenseman held a going-away party over the weekend.

Not really sure why he would retire then go to Europe but maybe he just figures he could extend his career there plus he probably isn't going to crack the roster next year. Would think someone would trade for him though

Levitate fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 13, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Levitate posted:

woah

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

e:

https://nypost.com/2017/06/13/rangers-kevin-klein-leaning-toward-retirement/

Not really sure why he would retire then go to Europe but maybe he just figures he could extend his career there plus he probably isn't going to crack the roster next year. Would think someone would trade for him though

I don't think I would say he's more than a bottom pairing defenseman, but I liked him when he was in Nashville. Haven't followed him recently though.

Zodijackylite posted:

Moving Neal's 5m cap hit would give them enough capspace (22m+) to resign Johansen, Arvidsson, and Fisher then go after Duchene. Fisher is their #2 center and turning 37, but their top 4 D are 26-28 and top 3 F are 22-24. That's a team that can mortgage the future and offer a lot of picks/prospects for a guy like Duchene right now.

This I can agree with (worth it to go for a big signing). And with Nashville doing well maybe more players will be open to playing there.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't think I would say he's more than a bottom pairing defenseman, but I liked him when he was in Nashville. Haven't followed him recently though.

He was alright, provided some grit and decent play, was better than Girardi when paired with McDonagh. Struggled a lot this year though with his foot speed and then got injured a lot (I think he had back spasms from early in the season and basically hosed him over pretty good all year)

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Shawn Cotureier posted:

3RD ROUND PICK

Sounds like some team is gonna have the chance to get a bona fide game changer this offseason.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/WTAE/status/874374303084576768

d'awww :3:

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i'd boo that child

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mind_Taker posted:

Statistically Athanasiou is actually really drat good. Over the past 2 seasons he's behind only Matthews in terms of goals/60 (min. 1000 minutes) and is #32 in points/60 at even strength. Obviously there is context missing from those numbers but he's also likely to improve since he's only 22 and he also has been skating alongside some pretty crappy Detroit forwards for most of his time there, often on the 3rd or 4th line.

I'd say Athanasiou is likely a top line talent (if not now then soon) who is being held back by some questionable coaching decisions.

god I would love for the Penguins to somehow get hold of Athanasiou.

Catching up on the thread after work, but it seems a little weird to me that an MAF trade to Vegas hasn't already been announced. If it hasn't been by the roster freeze then that'll make me wonder if the Penguins are actually going to keep him and he wants to stay so much he's agreed to be the backup. Which makes no sense, but the idea that Vegas would just take MAF in the expansion draft (rather than take one of the several interesting forwards the Penguins are going to have to expose and acquire MAF and his contract separately for a token 6th round pick or whatever) makes even less sense.

Unless Captain Internet's weird belief that Vegas is going to draft a lovely team because they don't want to piss off other GMs turns out to be right, I dunno.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Kevin Klein *really* doesn't want to get picked and flipped by Vegas.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

My friend made a banner for the parade tomorrow.

"If the Stanley Cup Final was an epic film" he said.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

:siren: We have a...buyout? :siren:

https://twitter.com/lakingsinsider/status/874740834259787778

That is Matt Greene of the Kings, not Andy Greene of the Devils.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

The Golden Man posted:

This seems like a really weird opinion to me and I'm genuinely curious to see if you're right

Honesty, Holmgren got shunned by every GM in the league because he legitimately offersheeted Nashville of all places. Shut out by everyone because of a single offer sheet to a Western Conference team. You don't think GMGM gonna get the deep dick if he fucks over multiple teams who gave out limited NMC's like candy years ago to their vets and fringe core players because they were an easy value add to a contract that didn't affect their bottom line?

Dude is going to roll with concession deals or get rolled. He wouldn't be able to find a front office job in North American hockey because everyone knows everyone. Hockey is still hockey even when you are wearing suits and these people would think you are taking liberties with their carefully planned out team.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Captain Internet posted:

Honesty, Holmgren got shunned by every GM in the league because he legitimately offersheeted Nashville of all places. Shut out by everyone because of a single offer sheet to a Western Conference team. You don't think GMGM gonna get the deep dick if he fucks over multiple teams who gave out limited NMC's like candy years ago to their vets and fringe core players because they were an easy value add to a contract that didn't affect their bottom line?

Dude is going to roll with concession deals or get rolled. He wouldn't be able to find a front office job in North American hockey because everyone knows everyone. Hockey is still hockey even when you are wearing suits and these people would think you are taking liberties with their carefully planned out team.
Was he shunned? Holmgren was gone within 2 years and made a pretty normal amount of trades in that time. It certainly didn't happen to Doug Wilson for the Hjalmarsson offer.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Homer wasn't shunned. Every other NHL GM knew he was a nutball before the offer sheet, and him sending one wasn't really shocking when you consider it came from him

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That offer sheet loving owned and I wish more owners would use them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:yeah:

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Captain Internet posted:

Yeah thats what ended his career....

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It is legitimately impressive that Homer managed to screw over a team that was not, in any way, involved in the original offer sheet. Almost at the level of performance art.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

It's not so much that people are underating Josi. I think he's well rated an well regarded now, but now it's a casualty of 'Well actually PK is not a top pairing D' which has people mad at MSM. Anyway, if Nashville goes 4-4-1, it means that you will lose one of Jarnkrok, Sissons, Aberg or Neal. I don't know how Salomaki rates.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PK is a god and the face of a franchise

Can't sell that :colbert:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Xtanstic posted:

It's not so much that people are underating Josi. I think he's well rated an well regarded now, but now it's a casualty of 'Well actually PK is not a top pairing D' which has people mad at MSM. Anyway, if Nashville goes 4-4-1, it means that you will lose one of Jarnkrok, Sissons, Aberg or Neal. I don't know how Salomaki rates.

Jarnkrok is a tempting piece with that contract but Neal would be a hell of a quality player to get for an expansion team.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Nashville is not exactly a hot free agent destination and is short on forwards. Neal is overpaid but not by much, I can't see that it helps them to let Vegas take him for nothing. Are they in a cap crunch, or likely to be within the next 2 years?

About Maatta, the thing about this whole "he's still super young and has been going through a lot of poo poo, give him time" thing is that it's exactly what we were saying when he sucked last year (and I was the first guy saying it, back then). This year he got worse. He might get better but I think it's more likely he doesn't. And as is, the fancystats and good ol' fashioned watching hockey with your eyes agree: he sucks. He's a replacement level defenseman, and paying $3M/year to a guy who is no better than the David Warsofskys of the world is exactly how you work yourself into cap trouble.

I'm all for shopping him first, there very well may be a team or two who is high on him and willing to take his contract and even give something up for it. But failing that, I wouldn't hesitate to expose him and let Vegas have him if they want him. I think the Penguins could do better things with that cap space.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Crosby is hanging out with the Pirates today.
https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/874775350005436416

• Locked thread