Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Note Block posted:

Kick, Punch, it's all in the MND.

If you wanna test me, just Duty Find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

vOv posted:

On the other hand yoship is also the one with access to actual player data from the game itself sooo

It Isn't Obvious Based On Some Changes

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Chemist screws up his not-mudras and throws a bunny at the tank as they die.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If RDM was gonna be something other than DPS it should've been a DoM tank, not a bloody healer. :colbert:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If RDM was gonna be something other than DPS it should've been a DoM tank, not a bloody healer. :colbert:

Blue Mage would fit for that a bit better. Their whole gig is getting hit, after all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harrow posted:

Punch healing would be good

Masseur up to 30 -> Chiropractor

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Was just in an A12 normal and two white mages that literally just stood around for half the fight doing nothing.

and they say tanking is the easiest thing to do in this game :colbert:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Masseur up to 30 -> Chiropractor
Salamander oil as a resource.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

class trainer godbert manderville

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LB 3 - Happy Ending

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Rift tried the whole damage heal thing, and learned what WoW learned with damage dealing tank-the dps players bitch about you taking their jobs and people playing the other classes of that role bitch too.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

apostateCourier posted:

Blue Mage would fit for that a bit better. Their whole gig is getting hit, after all.

Please don't make blue mage a tank, I'm hyped about it as a job we'll 100% be getting and don't want to never play it.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah unless you make the heals insanely lovely so that they're more of a flavor thing I don't think it would work.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Here's another weird Final Fantasy promotion, or I guess appropriate given impending release of BLOODSTORM?

http://press.na.square-enix.com/releases/979/square-enix-joins-the-red-cross-to-launch-final-fantasy-xiv-stormblood

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Khisanth Magus posted:

Rift tried the whole damage heal thing, and learned what WoW learned with damage dealing tank-the dps players bitch about you taking their jobs and people playing the other classes of that role bitch too.

It was also fun as hell and dedicated DPS still did more damage. I miss pre-expansion Rift.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Jinh posted:

If you wanna test me, just Duty Find

All the things Smith teach ya is sure to treat ya

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Arelle Doomraix
Voted most likely to have a diagnosed allergy to leaving Cleric Stance.
"goddamnit, I swear I pressed benediction"

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Lant posted:

It was also fun as hell and dedicated DPS still did more damage. I miss pre-expansion Rift.
:same:

There's also a joke to be made about the answer to whiny pissbaby DPS being to kick them from the group before the last boss of the dungeon since there's always enough in queue to replace them immediately anyway.

Edit: Also speaking of Rift, I don't remember it ever being worth a drat, but I liked having support builds in principle. Taking it clear back to EQ, I liked the classes that never had to do more in a group than buff and debuff and crowd control.

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 13, 2017

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Lant posted:

Yes, it was the one healer I enjoyed playing.

I also loved druid in WoW when they held threat through sheer damage instead of aggro generating abilities. Again less damage than a true dps, but still wasn't allowed.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Red Mage LB3 called "Vermillion Scourge". cool name, sad it isn't Meltdown though

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its a pretty lame name IMO.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Here's another weird Final Fantasy promotion, or I guess appropriate given impending release of BLOODSTORM?

http://press.na.square-enix.com/releases/979/square-enix-joins-the-red-cross-to-launch-final-fantasy-xiv-stormblood

I'm sitting at that bus right now to give blood. :black101:

Also, apparently Susano has a cup game element.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SKULL.GIF posted:

I want a Chemist healer. Mix abilities together to create combo potions.

If there is a healer that would get me to consider dropping AST, this would be it.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Gil: 5.7m
Company Seals: capped
Wolf Marks: capped
Tomestones: capped
Crafter/Gatherer Scrips: capped
Tanks: BiS and glamoured

I am as set for Stormblood as I'm gonna get.

Now comes the painful 2-day wait.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 13, 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Countblanc posted:

Red Mage LB3 called "Vermillion Scourge". cool name, sad it isn't Meltdown though

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they want to keep Merton in their back pocket for a later BLM/RDM ability down the road.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I have most of my poo poo capped but I haven't figured out a class to level first, ugh. I usually do WAR first since I usually tank in general and my non-gatherer retainer is a WAR, but I wonder if I shouldn't do BRD or BLM first so I'm not effectively wasting the quest XP on something that instaqueues into dungeons.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SpaceDrake posted:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they want to keep Merton in their back pocket for a later BLM/RDM ability down the road.

Wait, is that what Merton is?! Meltdown in Engrish?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Note Block posted:

Kick, Punch, it's all in the MND.

Okay I take it back, If Chop Chop Master Onion is the class trainer, then I'm all for having Dancer

Saint Freak posted:

But how would they even give a dancer a flamethrower??

Are you serious right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccMoo5hTM3U

Fire spinning is a huge thing with festival kids

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wait, is that what Merton is?! Meltdown in Engrish?

Its a dumb outdated bad/truncated translation of Meltdown.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Khisanth Magus posted:

For all the poo poo Rift catches it was actually a very good game at launch and did a lot of cool things that other MMOs adopted, like group finder and level sync. Random zone events that everybody could jump into was also a really good touch.

I remember there was a tank spec that focused on buffing/debuffing and I mained it doing dungeons and really had fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Did I read that message right? Servers are going to be down for ALL of Thursday for maintenence for SB?

Or is that just them covering their bases, and it should be back up later that day?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Dunno if the Live Letter thing they said they'd be doing has happened yet but the Digest they released cleared up a few things for me:

Parry and Block are going to be all-directional, just like Auto Attacks.
Raid Monsters will be the same level as players so Accuracy starts a 100% (which means Blind will actually do something.)
Piety is Healer Specific so BLM's will no longer get to care about the breakpoint for an extra Fire at 50.
Tanks are back to 100% of STR = Attack Power, so with Accessories being locked to roles, High Materia not being overmeldable and Advanced Melding Forbidden being a thing now Tanks are definitely going to want Tenacity to pump more damage out.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cathead posted:

Finally got around to doing one of these:

Lambda Delta
Battle Maid Club
Casual Trash Club - President
Voted Most Likely to Explode in PotD
"I'll get that chest, it's fine!"

This was a few pages ago, but I just wanted to remind everyone that axe maids are extremely good

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Zaphod42 posted:

Did I read that message right? Servers are going to be down for ALL of Thursday for maintenence for SB?

Or is that just them covering their bases, and it should be back up later that day?

Count on them being down, IIRC the downtime for HW being brought online was even longer.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

they are launching a new expansion. it is not quite as simple as pushing a button.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Okay fine.

Fenra Golbis
Voted, most likely.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

24 hour down time is pretty common for big patches for this game; expansions are certainly considered big

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
New housing is opening too so don't bet on the servers coming up early

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BrightWing posted:

New housing is opening too so don't bet on the servers coming up early

Isn't housing coming a few weeks later so that there's no incentive to rush through the plot to gain access to the wards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

they are launching a new expansion. it is not quite as simple as pushing a button.

No poo poo, but no other MMO I can think of goes down for 24 hours for an expansion. WoW is pretty seamless these days. Others do a normal maintenance which takes a couple to a few hours. 24 hours is extreme for the industry.

• Locked thread