Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

um excuse me posted:

There is nothing wrong with the rods. They're fine. People shove power into these cars like bros without planning anything and internals are the last things anyone upgrades when they should be first and then wonder why their 400whp car punches rods through the block. Every engine has a weak point. You need to mitigate risk first if you want a reliable modified motor. People are just cheap and lazy.

There is something fundamentally wrong with the rods, let alone that they are an offset design. At high STOCK loads the metal is going plastic - as in, plastic rods isn't a joke. The offset rods to the axis of load also is one of the most deadshit stupid things for a boosted motor - it's one of the reasons why a EZ30 cant take more than moderate boost easily.

The fact that this has appeared in Australia is why I give it creedence - it's not a fuel issue, it's not a tune, it's not STAGE TWO MODS BRO, it's a fundamental WTF esp when the EJ's rods are way more able to support the stock motor.

bull3964 posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I would rather have an engine that's more reliable making stock power from the factory than one that's capable of more after being built but it's less reliable in stock config from the factory.

Regardless, the STI is in dire need of a 30-40hp bump to stay competitive and you aren't going to get that on an EJ25 and remain in compliance with emissions and fuel economy standards (nor would it be cheap.)

So.... how exactly again is the FA series more reliable again? (It's not) - Let alone it's less capable built. The truth is that the EJ is plenty fine with a twist more power and will do emissions.... economy yeah well that's what DIT is supposed to be for. And seriously, if the FA is showing signs it cant handle the WRX, do you seriously think you are going to get 340hp out of a 2.4 FA motor? HAHAHAHAHA no. The fact the FA STILL isn't in the Spec C or the motorsport version cars (and doesn't look like being there soon or even homologated) or hell, not even in the Japanese 2 litre WRX STI should be enough to tell you what Subaru thinks of it's reliability... officially it's "under testing" by STI but I bet that code for "gently caress why is this POS still not better than the EJ20??"

If the FA20 is so reliable, why isn't it being used in the JDM STI? Why isn't it in the motorsport cars? It's not like it's a new untried motor anymore and I bet Subaru marketing would looooove to see it's flagship motor winning poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, then neither the EJ nor FA cars are worth buying then because they are both ticking time bombs.

EJ25 is not reliable engine in North America. Full stop. Hell, we've seen that to be the case enough on this board with people blowing engines left and right stock and that's a tiny sample size.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 14, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I bought the Gorester.

I've fixed a few basic things already, but apparently I need a full rear evap assembly as it was ripped from the car by a fence post at some point. It's a 98-01 Forester L. Does the evap design change into the 02-07? I don't have any pre 02 cars in the junkyards near me.

Can I tune around the TGV not being wired correctly?

Also it bucks really badly from 1600-1900 RPM and then smoothes out.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I mean I just made peace with the fact that Subaru are kind of lovely when I bought mine. Just not a whole lot of other options for a fun wagon.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

The FA motor is fine, most failures are from stupid drivers doing stupid things. Just because its not OMGMOTORSPORTRALLYCHAMPION doesn't mean its a bad or unreliable motor.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea I wasn't able to find anything supporting those claims. And everyone blowing up motors are not stock and if they are, they're because a mechanic hosed something up or ringland failure (lol).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ChunksNensja posted:

The FA motor is fine, most failures are from stupid drivers doing stupid things. Just because its not OMGMOTORSPORTRALLYCHAMPION doesn't mean its a bad or unreliable motor.

Oh gently caress off. Its not just dumb drivers and the proof is most certainly its not in the halo cars.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What is a good fun new car in a similar price range to have since the FA bad?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The FA isn't really bad. I'm at 35kmi on mine with regular autocross use. My dealership offered a 10 year engine warranty too so it's pretty irrelevant unless you mod the crap out of it.

But to answer your question my next choices would be BRZ, Focus ST, Ecoboost Mustang, or Miata (that RF is sexy as fuuuck).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm probably going with the Focus RS myself. The WRX will be 7 years old this fall so cancer likely has started on it in some place. I got 11 years out of my 02 before rust really started showing on the body, so I probably have a few more years before it becomes a real issue, but I'll likely get the bug before then.

My biggest issue is the WRX is such a letdown dynamically from my BRZ that I don't really enjoy driving it as much as I used to. It's a wallowing pig of a car with vague steering and glacial throttle response by comparison. I want something sharper, but still hatch.

It's either that or I give up on having performance being a criteria on both cars and give the WRX up for something more economical and even more versatile.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I'm probably going with the Focus RS myself. The WRX will be 7 years old this fall so cancer likely has started on it in some place. I got 11 years out of my 02 before rust really started showing on the body, so I probably have a few more years before it becomes a real issue, but I'll likely get the bug before then.

My biggest issue is the WRX is such a letdown dynamically from my BRZ that I don't really enjoy driving it as much as I used to. It's a wallowing pig of a car with vague steering and glacial throttle response by comparison. I want something sharper, but still hatch.

It's either that or I give up on having performance being a criteria on both cars and give the WRX up for something more economical and even more versatile.

I drove a new Mustang GT the other day, just to see how it compared to my BRZ (half the power, 1000lb less than the GT) and it sure as poo poo was fast but I don't know if I'll have nearly as much fun. I would love to get a test drive in a Focus RS but I doubt that'll happen soon.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

two_beer_bishes posted:

I drove a new Mustang GT the other day, just to see how it compared to my BRZ (half the power, 1000lb less than the GT) and it sure as poo poo was fast but I don't know if I'll have nearly as much fun. I would love to get a test drive in a Focus RS but I doubt that'll happen soon.

The dealership down the street from my apartment has 14 Focus RS in the parking lot. Makes the drive to work dangerous for the future potential of my bank account.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
today I bought my first subaru, a 2005 impreza outback sport. I think it's pretty cool. I look forward to alaskan winters being slightly less scary.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

two_beer_bishes posted:

If the GT didn't have track pack or whatever it's called, try to find one that does. The first IRS mustang I autocrossed was a non track pack car and it was a dog. The track pack helped a ton.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

padijun posted:

today I bought my first subaru, a 2005 impreza outback sport. I think it's pretty cool. I look forward to alaskan winters being slightly less scary.

Blobeye besteye (also weirdestlookingeye)

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Suppose I should probably link this in here.

http://www.worldtimeattack.com/index.php/andy-forest-one-goal-the-fastest-in-the-world/

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
:eyepop:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

padijun posted:

I look forward to alaskan winters being slightly less scary.

What part of the state are you in?

My wife and I are down on the Kenai Peninsula and regularly drive several hours to Anchorage for "Costco runs." We've currently got a '98 Forester that's potentially on its last legs, and are looking to get a new Subaru. I don't really like the current design of Foresters vs the '98 model so we're looking at an Outback, which seems more comparable. Besides regular 4-5 hour highway round-trips, we'll also be using it to get to and from hikes, which means some potentially sketchy backroads. I've been eyeballing this article and just wanted to see what thoughts people had in here. Are we about to make a terrible mistake?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If all you're doing is the seward highway, tires play much more of a role than the vehicle you're using.

For trail access, in Alaska it's pretty binary situation: the road is either navigable by a city car, or so rugged a tricked out wrangler might not make it. It's not like the continental US where there's BLM or forest access roads spidering everywhere that make your vehicle selection a tough call. That's why everyone uses planes to get to the fun stuff. :v:

Not trying to sway you against a beefed up Subaru though.. the more you put into it, the more comfortable your adventures are going to be.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah you can put bigger tires and a lift on a subaru, but it's still a car. You still have stock control arms and axles etc, plus the added height and travel can put more stress on the CVs.

So yeah, good tires, a full size spare, and a front skid plate would be my starting point. The forester is shorter and has steeper approach angles so that would be beneficial offroad.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Huh, I thought the new Foresters were larger than the Outbacks. They certainly look bulkier.

I'm not really looking for any serious off-roading, just miles and miles of unpaved backroads in the middle of nowhere. Highway comfort is definitely in our minds though.

As far as tires, we currently have Nokian WR G3 on the '98 Forester, for whatever that's worth. I'm far enough south in the state that the winters aren't terrible, so I don't feel like dealing with swapping to studded tires every fall.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

padijun posted:

I bought my first one yesterday too :3:

2006 Impreza wagon

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

Huh, I thought the new Foresters were larger than the Outbacks. They certainly look bulkier.

I'm not really looking for any serious off-roading, just miles and miles of unpaved backroads in the middle of nowhere. Highway comfort is definitely in our minds though.

As far as tires, we currently have Nokian WR G3 on the '98 Forester, for whatever that's worth. I'm far enough south in the state that the winters aren't terrible, so I don't feel like dealing with swapping to studded tires every fall.

I haven't lived in AK for 20 years now but I got buddies up there, they say they don't bother with studs anymore as a set of blizzaks is just as good. Still gotta swap them twice a year though. :v:

And yeah, Outback is Subaru's hulking flagship. Forester is the middle guy and the XV is the baby of the group.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

I haven't lived in AK for 20 years now but I got buddies up there, they say they don't bother with studs anymore as a set of blizzaks is just as good. Still gotta swap them twice a year though. :v:

And yeah, Outback is Subaru's hulking flagship. Forester is the middle guy and the XV is the baby of the group.

What does that make the Ascent?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Forester and Crosstrek really aren't much different in size. Forester only wins out because it's a bit more boxy.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

Forester and Crosstrek really aren't much different in size. Forester only wins out because it's a bit more boxy.

The Outback is about as much longer than the Forester than the Forester is compared to the Crosstrek -- 190 vs. 182 vs. 175 inches respectively. The Impreza sedan, on the other hand, is the same length as the Forester (but ten inches shorter).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The crosstrek, impreza, and forester are all essentially the same car, the difference is just in the body. Wheelbase, track, suspension/chassis are the same. The outback/legacy has like a 4" longer wheelbase.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 15, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The Outback is about as much longer than the Forester than the Forester is compared to the Crosstrek -- 190 vs. 182 vs. 175 inches respectively. The Impreza sedan, on the other hand, is the same length as the Forester (but ten inches shorter).

The hatches are always shorter in length than the sedans. As Jamal said they are all basically just Imprezas with different bodies.

Complicating things right now is the Crosstrek is just now moving to the new platform for MY18, so there are some variances due to that.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

The hatches are always shorter in length than the sedans. As Jamal said they are all basically just Imprezas with different bodies.

Complicating things right now is the Crosstrek is just now moving to the new platform for MY18, so there are some variances due to that.

Seven inches in length still doesn't jibe with "Forester and Crosstrek really aren't much different in size," even if they are riding on the same wheelbase. They are two dramatically differently-sized vehicles. Still wanting my 250HP/six-speed Crosstrek. =)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Seven inches in length still doesn't jibe with "Forester and Crosstrek really aren't much different in size," even if they are riding on the same wheelbase. They are two dramatically differently-sized vehicles. Still wanting my 250HP/six-speed Crosstrek. =)

The Impreza sedan is nearly 7 inches longer than the hatch, yet you would classify them as the same size.

Forester is actually only 5.3 inches longer than the 2018 crosstrek and have nearly identical passenger specifications. The only real difference is rear legroom where those 5" become apparent. Hip, shoulder and front legroom are all the same.

The Forester has a boxy cargo compartment which helps increase cargo volume. But it's not a very dramatic difference.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

The Impreza sedan is nearly 7 inches longer than the hatch, yet you would classify them as the same size.

Forester is actually only 5.3 inches longer than the 2018 crosstrek and have nearly identical passenger specifications. The only real difference is rear legroom where those 5" become apparent. Hip, shoulder and front legroom are all the same.

The Forester has a boxy cargo compartment which helps increase cargo volume. But it's not a very dramatic difference.

I guess my point of contention is that you seem to indicate that there is a dramatic difference between the Forester and the Outback, and yet somehow that same difference is not dramatic between the Crosstrek and the Forester. But whatever. I'd consider 22 versus 32 cubic feet of space with the seats up "dramatic."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I guess my point of contention is that you seem to indicate that there is a dramatic difference between the Forester and the Outback

No, I don't think i ever did.

All of Subaru's cars are similar in size, but if you need to make a distinction, it should be at the wheelbase.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

No, I don't think i ever did.

All of Subaru's cars are similar in size, but if you need to make a distinction, it should be at the wheelbase.

Yeah, I think I conflated your comparison with a previous poster's. I still disagree with your second point, but we're not going to come to an agreement on it because I think we are using wildly different operational definitions of "size." After all, a GTC4Lusso has a longer wheelbase than an Escalade ... which, somewhat germane to the discussion, I only know because I was stuck reading a Motor Trend at the Subaru dealer today waiting on some service. I also found out that they have one replacement airbag available suitable for my Impreza, so I have to call them tomorrow and set up the appointment for the recall. Finally I'll be able to put a passenger in the front again without risking showering them with shards of metal!

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Alehkhs posted:

What part of the state are you in?

My wife and I are down on the Kenai Peninsula and regularly drive several hours to Anchorage for "Costco runs." We've currently got a '98 Forester that's potentially on its last legs, and are looking to get a new Subaru. I don't really like the current design of Foresters vs the '98 model so we're looking at an Outback, which seems more comparable. Besides regular 4-5 hour highway round-trips, we'll also be using it to get to and from hikes, which means some potentially sketchy backroads. I've been eyeballing this article and just wanted to see what thoughts people had in here. Are we about to make a terrible mistake?

I'm in Chugiak, that burb between Anchorage and Wasilla. My previous daily driver was an '01 focus SE with blizzaks, which I've got to say, never let me down aside from some scary braking experiences because they had too many miles cause I never changed them between winter and summer. An Outback will do fine on the Seward highway between Kenai and Anchorage. As for getting to hikes, DOT has really gone places to get the roads unfucked in the past 20 years. There's a road out in Chugiak actually named "Helluva" because it used to be a nightmare, now it's just boring blacktop. For my hiking experience, the road up to the nearby trailhead on Bear Mountain is pretty steep, but it's 100% paved now.

e: Helluva Road might have always been a gag name from the '70s, there's so much weird apocryphal poo poo around here that it might have always been drivable

padijun fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 16, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

My 135k-mile '04 is starting to show signs of a failing head gasket. I haven't seen the temp gauge move, but it ejected a small amount of fluid from the res, blows slow bubbles after running a while and block test fluid turned green.
I'm waiting on estimates from shops, but I doubt anyone would do the the job for less than $1200 in labor so I'm leaning towards doing it myself. When you did the swap did you drop it out the bottom with the trans or pull it from above? Any poo poo that you wish you had known going in?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

When I put the automatic into reverse in the 06 Impreza Wagon (above), and turn the wheel (usually to full lock) the engine starts to... shudder I guess. I don't need to be going anywhere for this to happen, and the shuddering stops after a moment or so, but this is still making me a bit nervous - what might be causing it?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

JawKnee posted:

When I put the automatic into reverse in the 06 Impreza Wagon (above), and turn the wheel (usually to full lock) the engine starts to... shudder I guess. I don't need to be going anywhere for this to happen, and the shuddering stops after a moment or so, but this is still making me a bit nervous - what might be causing it?

Are you sure its the engine shuddering and not just the power steering pump? (or belt?)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I am not sure, I'll have to check it out... It's only happened a couple times, and I don't really know much about cars at all

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
The time is rapidly approaching for me to replace the brakes on my 2012 STi Sedan. Dealership quoted about $1200 for the rears only (as they are the worst). I don't put this on the track but I enjoy driving it fairly aggressively when it is safe to do so. I thought I would ask here what you guys recommend and where I would get it. The whole time I've owned it I thought how great it would look to have big ol red Brembos on it and then I looked up the price.

So anyway, any recommendations would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Flyinglemur posted:

The time is rapidly approaching for me to replace the brakes on my 2012 STi Sedan. Dealership quoted about $1200 for the rears only (as they are the worst). I don't put this on the track but I enjoy driving it fairly aggressively when it is safe to do so. I thought I would ask here what you guys recommend and where I would get it. The whole time I've owned it I thought how great it would look to have big ol red Brembos on it and then I looked up the price.

So anyway, any recommendations would be great.

What are you replacing? Just the pads? 1200 is insanely high if so. I don't know why you'd need to replace the calipers, are they damaged?