Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Willa Rogers posted:

not so fast.

what's the "nuance" between advocating for medicare-for-all instead of "alternative systems" that do the exact same thing?

i think of alternative systems like japan, france, germany, etc that are multipayer but unlike the US strictly regulate pricing of both care & premiums so that it's entirely universal with guaranteed coverage for everyone. because these systems are closer to what we already have, i think it'd be easier to make people comfortable with it than single payer. that said, if there's ever a political path to single payer i'd of course be for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Stexils posted:

tony warhawk's pro skater

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Stexils posted:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Concerned Citizen posted:

that said, if there's ever a political path to single payer i'd of course be for it.

*zen masterly* You have to want something, before you can get it

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
At least fundamentally it seems funny to be making a big deal at trying to impose a single message with every democrat nationwide instead of just running the best candidates you can get with hard primaries and trying to get a majority.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

i think of alternative systems like japan, france, germany, etc that are multipayer but unlike the US strictly regulate pricing of both care & premiums so that it's entirely universal with guaranteed coverage for everyone. because these systems are closer to what we already have, i think it'd be easier to make people comfortable with it than single payer.

so the exact same thing as our current medicare, only for the entire population, not just seniors and the disabled.

I know: let's call it "medicare for all"

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Willa Rogers posted:

so the exact same thing as our current medicare, only for the entire population, not just seniors and the disabled.

yes well medicare-for-all (as bernie proposes) isn't really totally similar to medicare, is it? one is free of premiums, co-pays, takes care of everything, the other (the actual medicare) has supplemental insurance.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
In 2007, Ezra Klein wrote a pretty good comparative survey of health policy in the US, Canada, Germany, France, and Veterans Affairs for The American Prospect.

The Health of Nations.

Now klein sucks obviously but back then i guess he was fine.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Crowdfunding platforms such as GoFundMe and YouCaring have turned sympathy for Americans drowning in medical expenses into a cottage industry. Now Republican efforts in Congress to repeal and replace Obamacare could swell the ranks of the uninsured and spur the business of helping people raise donations online to pay for health care.

But medical crowdfunding doesn't have to wait for Congress to act. Business is already booming, and its leaders expect the rapid growth to continue no matter what happens on the Hill.

"Whether it's Obamacare or Trumpcare, the weight of health-care costs on consumers will only increase," said Dan Saper, chief executive officer of YouCaring. "It will drive more people to try and figure out how to pay health-care needs, and crowdfunding is in its early days as a way to help those people."

In a September 2015 LinkedIn post, Solomon wrote that the one million campaigns set up over the previous year had raised $1 billion from nearly 12 million donors. By February 2016, the total was $2 billion. In October 2016, it was $3 billion, from 25 million donors. A NerdWallet study of medical crowdfunding said GoFundMe had indicated that $930 million of the $2 billion raised in the period the study analyzed was from medical campaigns.

YouCaring, meanwhile, acquired GiveForward this year; medical fundraisers made up 70 percent of GiveForward's campaigns. The combined companies have 8 million donors who have contributed $800 million to a wide range of campaigns. A big part of that total was donated to medical campaigns, according to the company. It was approaching 50 percent of all fundraisers at YouCaring before the acquisition, and the growth rate is set to triple this year, Saper said.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/chrismurphyct/status/874621693741981696

democrats :argh:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Matt Zerella posted:

radical centrism

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The hardcore hillbots are going to call him a russian agent if he's not careful enough.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

yes well medicare-for-all (as bernie proposes) isn't really totally similar to medicare, is it? one is free of premiums, co-pays, takes care of everything, the other (the actual medicare) has supplemental insurance.

so the "pragmatic" choice, then, would be medicare-as-it-exists-for-all, while the "ponies and unicorns" choice would be the california single-payer bill with no premiums and no deductibles.

bc even though medicare has supplemental insurance, those costs are regulated by the government too, and are extremely affordable compared to the ACA exchange plans for non-medicaiders.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Jun 13, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

that'd be great if that were actually what people meant when they said Medicare for all, instead of a new from scratch single payer program

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Agnosticnixie posted:

The hardcore hillbots are going to call him a russian agent if he's not careful enough.

look if hillary is the only one that isn't a russian agent, how can each of them know that they themselves are not one????

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

that'd be great if that were actually what people meant when they said Medicare for all, instead of a new from scratch single payer program

conyers' single-payer bill is literally called the Medicare for All Act.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Stexils posted:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pack it up folks, WJ and CC have proved, with their boring sarcastic posts, that Dems are actually good.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Didn't this shitbird try to pin Sandy Hook on Bernie?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

literally my point, yes

just opening up Medicare would be like striking reference to age in 42 USC 1395c

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

At least he doesn't think any percent should go to Russia controversy?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I'm a russian agent ama

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Willa Rogers posted:

so the "pragmatic" choice, then, would be medicare-as-it-exists-for-all, while the "ponies and unicorns" choice would be the california single-payer bill with no premiums and no deductibles.

bc even though medicare has supplemental insurance, those costs are regulated by the government too, and are extremely affordable compared to the ACA exchange plans for non-medicaiders.

ok

idk if you're trying to call me out or whatever, i've said pretty clearly i'm in favor of a true UHC bill that accomplishes the same goals as single payer even if it's not exactly the same or 100% as generous as a medicare-for-all (as proposed by bernie, not literally medicare opened to everyone)

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm concerned citizen and the most pragmatic solution is obv. means-tested means-testing.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

ok

idk if you're trying to call me out or whatever, i've said pretty clearly i'm in favor of a true UHC bill that accomplishes the same goals as single payer even if it's not exactly the same or 100% as generous as a medicare-for-all (as proposed by bernie, not literally medicare opened to everyone)

I'm calling you out for bullshit talking points like "we don't need single-payer; we just need all the same things that single-payer and medicare do, only not called 'single-payer.' "

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm calling you out for bullshit talking points like "we don't need single-payer; we just need all the same things that single-payer and medicare do, only not called 'single-payer.' "

yes there's multiple paths to UHC, that's my entire point. there are many countries that, in fact, operate with multi-payer models that are worth looking at as more politically-palatable alternatives.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

yes there's multiple paths to UHC, that's my entire point. there are many countries that, in fact, operate with multi-payer models that are worth looking at as more politically-palatable alternatives.

i didnt sign up for a sandbox UHC game, I wanted a linear one with a customizable paying model is that so hard

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i too am concerned citizen

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

more politically-palatable alternatives.

Dems aren't even at any positions of power anywhere and you're already pre-compromising lmao

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

paranoid randroid posted:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

the fishmechs of the world are never going to push for single-payer as long as theres a slightly wonkier policy that costs slightly less (in terms of public spending, the only spending they are afraid of) and signals that they arent a dangerous radical but rather a ~reasonable compromiser~

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

paranoid randroid posted:

i am concerned with my citizenry, will the mean ICE agent take me away

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

oh thank god, I was worried pissflaps was going to have to be our emergency fishmech backup

Serf
May 5, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

u will have more success arguin with a stop sign than with a concern troll just sayin

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Dems aren't even at any positions of power anywhere and you're already pre-compromising lmao

i'm not the democratic party, obviously if i were sitting here advocating for UHC in a public advocacy context things would look different.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

the fishmechs of the world are never going to push for single-payer as long as theres a slightly wonkier policy that costs slightly less (in terms of public spending, the only spending they are afraid of) and signals that they arent a dangerous radical but rather a ~reasonable compromiser~

weird, i guess i said i was for single payer if we had the votes, but somehow suggesting another UHC program might be easier to pass immediately marks me as fishmech

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

i'm not the democratic party, obviously if i were sitting here advocating for UHC in a public advocacy context things would look different.

*Camera cuts to CC, sitting alone in a dark room filled with Hillary 2016 yard signs.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Ace of Baes posted:

*Camera cuts to CC, sitting alone in a dark room filled with Hillary 2016 yard signs.

i've only got this one quist yard sign here

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I still maintain that this thread primarily exists to troll Concerned Citizen, not the other way around.

(Also I just don't want anyone to have to worry about medical bills any more and I don't really give a gently caress how we get there. Single payer is great, though and probably more politically realistic in the medium term than it's ever been, if we survive that long)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

docbeard posted:

I still maintain that this thread primarily exists to troll Concerned Citizen, not the other way around.

but i'm untrollable!!!

• Locked thread