Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Blazing Saddles was just one big improvisational movie since no one was reading a script.

A small studio audience would just yell out stupid poo poo. Like "fart joke" or "big black dick" and the cast just rolled with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Krispy Kareem posted:

Except that everyone in Blazing Saddles is playing actors in an 1970's studio backlot.

its layered ok

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
It's Hedley

I love that because it is completely out of nowhere and never explained.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

spog posted:

It's Hedley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Lamarr

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Have you met anyone called 'Hedley' ?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

spog posted:

Yes.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

spog posted:

yea

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

spog posted:

Yeah, I love early Eagles albums!

*It's Henley!*

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

spog posted:

It's Hedley

I think it had something to do with a lawsuit she had filed years ago to stop her ghostwritten autobiography. Governor Le Petomane even tells him "What are you worried about? It's 1874. You can sue her!"

Speaking of...

But I think the Hedley/Hedy jokes were things that made sense at the time but just didn't age well. He certainly has a knack for those.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
I think the idea is that most people at the time would know of Heady Lamar.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Ironically, I've been bad at explaining why over-explaining a joke is bad.

The character has this very odd name and spends his time correcting people, with growing irritation.Yet we don't have to be told any explanation of how the situation came about or why it is funny. Indeed:

John Big Booty posted:

Governor Le Petomane even tells him "What are you worried about? It's 1874. You can sue her!"
Is the only reference to the situation in the entire film.

Compare and contrast to if it were in a Ben Stiller movie: there would be a multiple interactions explaining who Hedy Lamarr was, why Hedley has his unusual name, why his parents named him that, his growing irritation about the mispronunciation, the difference between him and her and why the confusion is funny.

Possibly with a laugh track so we know when to laugh.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

spog posted:

Ironically, I've been bad at explaining why over-explaining a joke is bad.

The character has this very odd name and spends his time correcting people, with growing irritation.Yet we don't have to be told any explanation of how the situation came about or why it is funny. Indeed:

Is the only reference to the situation in the entire film.

Compare and contrast to if it were in a Ben Stiller movie: there would be a multiple interactions explaining who Hedy Lamarr was, why Hedley has his unusual name, why his parents named him that, his growing irritation about the mispronunciation, the difference between him and her and why the confusion is funny.

Possibly with a laugh track so we know when to laugh.

what ben stiller movie are you talking about

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this guy thinks its an awesome joke to have people say someones name wrong for no reason

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
hedley lamarr is not a very odd name either lol

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

what ben stiller movie are you talking about

Well you see, in Meet the Fockers he goes into great detail about milking cats. Also Zoolander.

It's not the kind of subtle humor that the audience unwraps by themselves...like a beautifully packaged gift. Like that 5 minute merchandising scene in Space Balls where Mel Brooks beats an one off joke like it's a dead horse

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What the gently caress kind of movie has a laugh track? I'm not sure that guy has ever actually seen a movie.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

"Its Count de monet!" repeated 15 times

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Decrepus posted:

"Its Count de monet!" repeated 15 times

The French Revolution part of History of the World is the weakest. It's good to be the king and "you look like the piss-boy!" have nothing on "Give alms to Oedipus! Hey Josephus! Hey Muthafucka!"

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mel Brooks is overrated and most of his films aren't actually that good. Influential, sure, but deeply inconsistent.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, and the Producers bring up the averages on the other 30 or so films. So one decade was really good in a 60 year career.

He's still a national treasure by benefit of living so long.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Brooks would be a lot less funny if he weren't Jewish

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
Men in Tights is a fave of mine. I do not care for Young Frankenstein. Fight me.

Arx Monolith has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Jun 13, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I like Mel Brooks.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I like Mel Brooks.

It's Melb Rooks

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

New Producers is better than the old one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kuiperdolin posted:

New Producers is better than the old one.

Stage production yes, movie version no. I still love the Nathan Lane film, but you can tell it was made for theater and not film. The original film has got more acid in its barbs, while the remake has more wacky that you'd see in Brooks's later films.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've heard Spaceballs called "First Draft: The Movie" and that rings true for me. Brooks is at his best when he loves the thing he's making fun of. It was obvious he didn't give a poo poo about Star Wars and just wrote a script full of the most obvious jokes he could come up with about it. Some of it is still pretty funny though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mel Brooks' approach to comedy is basically to throw literally everything at the wall and even just a fraction of it sticks the barrage of jokes is heavy enough for you not to usually not notice the clunkers in between the ones that hit.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Young Frankenstein is so good because its played so close to straight. Not quite Airplane! level, but good enough for the jokes to really stand out.
"Werewolves."
"There, wolves. There, castle."

"Ovaltine, perhaps?"

"Put the candle back."

"Abby someone, Normal, I think."

Putting on the Ritz.

The old blind man Gene Hackman!.

It is so full of charming little bits.

The only joke I remember from Men in Tights is when Elwes mentions he actually had an English accent. I remember zero jokes from Dead and Loving It.

I remember the teasers for History of the World Part 2, more than the rest of the movie. Well, I can still sing The Inquisition song. That was the best bit in the movie.

Welp that's my brief opinion on Mel Brooks. His best movie was written by Gene Wilder.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dead and Loving It had three (3) good jokes. When Lucy pulls her tits out and Harker recoils "Lucy please! I'm British!"

When Dracula and van helsing keep trying to one up each other with the last word

The blood gush killing Lucy

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

oldpainless posted:

Dead and Loving It had three (3) good jokes. When Lucy pulls her tits out and Harker recoils "Lucy please! I'm British!"

When Dracula and van helsing keep trying to one up each other with the last word

The blood gush killing Lucy

That bit where Renfield shakes off his pursuers by running back and forth for a few seconds is also good.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Brooks is good but your mileage might vary depending on your taste for the vaudevillian aspect his roots bring to everything he does. High Anxiety, The Producers and Young Frankenstein are all pretty great. I don't like Blazing Saddles and Spaceballs as much as some people but they have their moments.

Holy poo poo. i can't believe we're discussing Mel Brooks in a thread about SUBTLETY because he's not subtle at all. Even when he makes subtle jokes, he beats you over the head with them and has the characters point them out like Igor's shifting hump for instance.

How the gently caress can anyone like Young Frankenstein?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
As bad as that movie is I still think of the Leslie Nielson "renfield you rear end in a top hat" anytime vampires are even remotely referenced in media

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Renfield, you are standing in the closet.

Or Harvey Korman demanding enemas for everyone.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Gejimayu posted:

I think the idea is that most people at the time would know of Heady Lamar.

Which reminded me that the pet headcrab in Halflife 2 was called Lamarr, and I'm sure that went over a lot of players' heads (pun honestly unintentional!)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Renfield, you are standing in the closet.

Or Harvey Korman demanding enemas for everyone.

I loving love Dead and Loving It. Especially the earlier hypnotism scene when he tells the theatre atttendent to forget everything, so she just keeps walking back and repeating the conversation. poo poo was amazing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo. i can't believe we're discussing Mel Brooks in a thread about SUBTLETY because he's not subtle at all. Even when he makes subtle jokes, he beats you over the head with them and has the characters point them out like Igor's shifting hump for instance.

The topic came up because of the only subtle joke Mel Brooks ever wrote (Hedy versus Hedley).

I looked it up in case the joke was some inside thing between actors (it's possible Brooks and Lamarr knew one another). But no. In fact Hedy Lamarr was not amused.

quote:

Hedy Lamarr sued Warner Bros., charging that the film's running parody of her name infringed on her right to privacy. Brooks said he was flattered; the studio settled out of court for a small sum and an apology for “almost using her name." Brooks said that Lamarr "never got the joke

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

BiggerBoat posted:

High Anxiety, The Producers and Young Frankenstein are all pretty great.
How the gently caress can anyone like Young Frankenstein?

:raise:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I bet they're also the kind of person who prefers the Tim Burton Charlie and the chocolate factory to Gene wilders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Whoops. How can anyone NOT like Young Frankenstein?