Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Has anyone deployed Windows 10 1703 via an SCCM 1702 task sequence? I'm having issues where after the machine is imaged, it's stuck on "Getting ready" on boot. It does this for about 45 minutes then finally finishes. I didn't have this issue with the previous build of Windows 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm hearing a lot of issues with deploying 1703, but I haven't looked into it much myself.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

GreenNight posted:

Has anyone deployed Windows 10 1703 via an SCCM 1702 task sequence? I'm having issues where after the machine is imaged, it's stuck on "Getting ready" on boot. It does this for about 45 minutes then finally finishes. I didn't have this issue with the previous build of Windows 10.

While technically not SCCM, I had this problem deploying 1703 with MDT. In my case it was failing to join the domain, and to fix it I removed the unattended domain join from the specialize portion of the unattend.xml. Now it no longer hangs at "getting ready", but one page of the OOBE shows for a few seconds and Cortana says something like "OK, almost ready. Now we will check for any updates." It startled me the first time.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You guys aren't crazy, they broke OOBE.

from the patchlist email:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I literally captured the image today, so that patch is in there.

I did find this link: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/618f4531-f824-476d-9327-f9f3f4f8d0b4/slow-sysprep-and-first-logon?forum=win10itprosetup

Which explains the issue I ran into. I changed the services per the url and sysprep was noticeably faster. I left for the day as that new image was being captured, so I'll try it in the morning.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

kiwid posted:

It's in the pastebin link.

Anyway, I only had two users so I just did them manually. I don't have anyone else I can test with now so gently caress it.

Here you go, this might be easier:

https://www.codetwo.com/freeware/active-directory-photos/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I literally captured the image today, so that patch is in there.

I did find this link: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/618f4531-f824-476d-9327-f9f3f4f8d0b4/slow-sysprep-and-first-logon?forum=win10itprosetup

Which explains the issue I ran into. I changed the services per the url and sysprep was noticeably faster. I left for the day as that new image was being captured, so I'll try it in the morning.

This actually fixed the issue. Issue with 1511 only my rear end.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm hearing a lot of issues with deploying 1703, but I haven't looked into it much myself.

Not a deployment issue but I installed it on my laptop to test it and I had to reset the PC to correct it. Not sure exactly where the issue was but here are a couple symptoms:

Network drivers didn't work following the update
Suddenly, every program with a switch for starting when I log in turned itself on. So, that sucked a lot.

At this point, I realized something very wrong was going on so I went ahead with the OS reset (kept my files).

tadashi fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 13, 2017

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Patch those XP/03 boxes now :siren:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/13/15790030/microsoft-windows-xp-vista-security-updates-june-2017

quote:

Microsoft issued a “highly unusual” patch for Windows XP last month to help prevent the spread of the massive WannaCry malware. At least 75,000 computers in 99 countries were affected by the malware which encrypts a computer and demands a $300 ransom before unlocking it. Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP in April 2014, but the software giant is now taking the unprecedented move of including it in the company’s Patch Tuesday round of security updates today.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
What the gently caress? No, don't patch them. Replace them.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

What the gently caress? No, don't patch them. Replace them.

Seriously. The fact that they keep releasing these patches after the OS has been EOLd only legitimizes the C-levels who think that replacing "perfectly good computers" is a waste of money.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

nexxai posted:

Seriously. The fact that they keep releasing these patches after the OS has been EOLd only legitimizes the C-levels who think that replacing "perfectly good computers" is a waste of money.

Just disable the boot partition on any remaining XP/2003 machines. When they don't come up next restart, simple answer is "Oh, must be some virus thing - did you know that XP is no longer supported? Let's just rebuild them with 10/2016R2!"

Because surely you don't have any critical systems running on those platforms.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Just disable the boot partition on any remaining XP/2003 machines. When they don't come up next restart, simple answer is "Oh, must be some virus thing - did you know that XP is no longer supported? Let's just rebuild them with 10/2016R2!"

I've been out of healthcare for years now but I'd imagine they're all still running on Server 2003.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Ahaha ha. Aha hahhaha. Ha. :negative:

Only the main internally developed LOB application, has to run on 32bit 2k3 or 2k8.

At least we just went live with a SaaS offering to replace it, but we won't have all of our customers migrated until the end of the year.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Zero VGS posted:

I've been out of healthcare for years now but I'd imagine they're all still running on Server 2003.

The Healthcare client I'm working for has a couple of windows xp and server 2003 boxes.

At least they're segmented off on their own network.

All told they're pretty progressive for a hospital.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nexxai posted:

Exactly. Microsoft needs to let these things die and let the idiots still keeping them around suffer like they deserve.

devmd01 posted:

Ahaha ha. Aha hahhaha. Ha. :negative:

Only the main internally developed LOB application, has to run on 32bit 2k3 or 2k8.

At least we just went live with a SaaS offering to replace it, but we won't have all of our customers migrated until the end of the year.
How is this even possible? Not the app compatibility issue itself, but the fact that internally developed implies that those of you supporting it know where to find those responsible for it being such garbage, yet those people still seem to have non-broken hands.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wolrah posted:

Exactly. Microsoft needs to let these things die and let the idiots still keeping them around suffer like they deserve.

How is this even possible? Not the app compatibility issue itself, but the fact that internally developed implies that those of you supporting it know where to find those responsible for it being such garbage, yet those people still seem to have non-broken hands.
We have an internally-developed LOB app that breaks on anything after .NET 4. Functionality on a supported, contemporary framework (4.7 is out!) isn't a high priority for the development team, and they bring in more money than the IT department, soooooooooooo

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

wolrah posted:

That's where 15 years of bolt-ons, too many cooks in the kitchen, and no clear plan to migrate off "because it works."

Thankfully, we have a new CIO that understands moving systems to cloud platforms, getting rid of old cruft, and streamlining where possible. We have a ton of SSO SaaS usage where it makes sense, picking the best solution that fits and plopping it into ADFS. I made a side comment in a meeting a couple of months ago about the legacy on-prem exchange, and he told me to get rid of it right then and there. I have full independence to work with every IT group, working as the technical lead on any infrastructure/SaaS/cloud implementations of business applications, so I'm not worried about my job going away for a long time.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 14, 2017

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

anthonypants posted:

We have an internally-developed LOB app that breaks on anything after .NET 4. Functionality on a supported, contemporary framework (4.7 is out!) isn't a high priority for the development team, and they bring in more money than the IT department, soooooooooooo

HOW? net framework is literally a drop in upgrade that, unless the app is literally "microsoft exchange server", shouldn't impact the app.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Do I dare learn Forefront or Microsoft Identity Manager?

What am I getting myself into?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Whole lotta C#, from my FIM2010 experiences.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is anyone using OMS update management? I have been testing it out on the free plan and don't understand the billing model at all, because it seems to me that on the free plan I can do everything the paid plan does, just with less log retention? :psyduck:

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

Do I dare learn Forefront or Microsoft Identity Manager?

What am I getting myself into?

MIM is the current version and has some really cool new Just in Time Admin features to really up your security game as far as privileged accounts are concerned.

Also pain. Much pain and torment when processes change even a little bit and you have to account for those new changes. 2 weeks later you're in a tortured mess of spaghetti handling weird one off user provisioning cases.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I'm trying to analyze an Office 365 mail trace. I'm assuming that a ##Receive, Send; means it was sent and a ##Receive, Fail; means it failed to send. But what does just a ##Receive; mean?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It means that maybe you should expand that column and you might get more context.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Has anyone here done the 70-246? My company needs it ASAP. How hosed am I?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

orange sky posted:

Has anyone here done the 70-246? My company needs it ASAP. How hosed am I?

Uhh unless you're already really familiar with system center 2012 and all the stuff it's testing on... pretty hosed

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hopefully someone else has dealt with this. I have an RDS farm, 2 terminal servers that some people log into via thin clients and some people have desktops that they are served remote apps to and we use DNS round robin. Currently I have one of the terminal servers in drain mode and everyone that is on network is getting pushed over to the other terminal server just fine, but I have VPN users that are still hitting the loving drained server so they can't log in. Is this a local DNS cache issue, or is something else going on? The remote users are using links provided to them that connect to the farm name, not directly to a server, but it keeps having them hit the drained server and I can't figure out why.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Are you not running a broker server? That's the only way I know for it to properly coordinate sessions and forward them off a drained server reliably.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Are you not running a broker server? That's the only way I know for it to properly coordinate sessions and forward them off a drained server reliably.

yeah we have a 3rd server handling broker services and licensing.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I'd start by running nslookups from a client to make sure its returning both server IPs for the a record that they are pulling then try manually connecting the client to the individual hostnames to verify connectivity. What you are describing should only be occurring in the event that they can't reach the other server which smells like a DNS or firewall issue.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I'm assuming DNS as everything works fine when not drained and they hit both hosts without issue. Thanks I'll bark up that tree once I can get in touch with one of these guys.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I have two main sites on opposite ends of the US, and our primary datacenter is on the west coast. Some of the people who work out of the east coast site remote in to virtual/physical workstations on the west coast. Right now, all the drive mapping is centered around the west coast datacenter, but we have a mostly unused east coast datacenter and I would really like for them to start using it. Is it possible to set up drive mapping in such a way that users logging on to a computer on the west coast will be connected to shares from the west coast datacenter, and users logging in to an east coast computer will be connected to the east coast datacenter? I can't think of a method of accomplishing this without a bunch of login scripts or DNS trickery, and I'm hoping there's something out there I can use.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DFSR?

Edit: Oh, I've entirely misread this. Perhaps something like WMI filtering based on the subnet of the client?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You can setup Sites in AD where you add subnets to each site. Then you setup a GPO with specific drive maps and apply it to the Site. Then any user on that specific subnet will get the GPO applied.

That's how we get computers in different locations to connect to local WSUS servers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

anthonypants posted:

I have two main sites on opposite ends of the US, and our primary datacenter is on the west coast. Some of the people who work out of the east coast site remote in to virtual/physical workstations on the west coast. Right now, all the drive mapping is centered around the west coast datacenter, but we have a mostly unused east coast datacenter and I would really like for them to start using it. Is it possible to set up drive mapping in such a way that users logging on to a computer on the west coast will be connected to shares from the west coast datacenter, and users logging in to an east coast computer will be connected to the east coast datacenter? I can't think of a method of accomplishing this without a bunch of login scripts or DNS trickery, and I'm hoping there's something out there I can use.

Yeah, use AD sites and GPOs to those sites.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GreenNight posted:

You can setup Sites in AD where you add subnets to each site. Then you setup a GPO with specific drive maps and apply it to the Site. Then any user on that specific subnet will get the GPO applied.

That's how we get computers in different locations to connect to local WSUS servers.
Is there anything like this for mapping the home folder drive mapping?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm still confused at why DFS wouldn't be the best route here. Are these going to be different folders for different regions or what?

Also move away from Home Folders, there's really no reason for them to exist anymore.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Is there anything like this for mapping the home folder drive mapping?

Depends if you want to map the home folder via GPO or specifically in each AD user account. GPO, sure. AD user, not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm still confused at why DFS wouldn't be the best route here. Are these going to be different folders for different regions or what?

Also move away from Home Folders, there's really no reason for them to exist anymore.
What replaced home folders?