Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
It's really dumb, it's not like this is secret information now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So how are Primaris actually looking, as an army? Because I'm being tempted to make my own Primaris chapter.

Specifically, how would they be as a footslogging army? I really don't like their hovertank.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Those of you who have played 8th edition, what kind of terrain setups have you been using?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Painted my first 40K unit ever, a pathfinder team for the local SW:A campaign:

I was going for an urban theme but ended up underwhelmed by the muted colors, even with the orange accents. I have 2 start collecting boxes to bootstrap my army and I'm using the remaining pathfinders in the box to try out some alternative schemes. Top of my list are a white/grey and orange scheme like the official Vior'la scheme but Sa'cea orange instead (and also I guess a lot like the white and orange army posted earlier) or Farsight Enclaves because red is awesome.

Still, this was a great learning experience with several glue mishaps.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

On the Space Marines front, I'm missing White Scars and Salamanders--someone posted Salamanders earlier, but it was an army spread too wide to use

You're welcome to any Salamnders pics you want to use from https://imgur.com/a/DKkJA - if you need a better pic taking let me know and I can sort it out this weekend.

Also you should include your own White Panthers somewhere in the OP :)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

muggins posted:

It's really dumb, it's not like this is secret information now
A street date's a street date. :shrug:

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

So how are Primaris actually looking, as an army? Because I'm being tempted to make my own Primaris chapter.

Specifically, how would they be as a footslogging army? I really don't like their hovertank.
They are very, very limited right now. Making a pure primaris army would lock out of a lot of units and you wouldn't have any elites other than the standard bearer. It's not really feasible right now. You'd miss out on too much.

That may change later once they get another couple of releases though.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

quote:

GW not giving me the goods early.

That's lame. I should have just held it at the hub and went to pick it up. I'll see if i can convince my local manager to give it to me. I mean, he has all the index books, the BRB and the Dark Imperium set open on the table there and we've all been able to rifle through it and play test games.

We'll see!

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

chutche2 posted:

Those of you who have played 8th edition, what kind of terrain setups have you been using?

I played with my necron terrain (some spires and a robo-hill) and a couple smaller cardboard boxes that I use for 7th and my necrons got loving slaughtered by 48" range because of the new line of sight rules.

I played a game last night, Necrons V Orks, at my FLGS and I set up a ton of LOS blocking terrain they had. Lots of un-enterable buildings with stairs to get on top but no windows. Lots of 4" corridors through building corners on the map. It was WAY better. Both of us felt like the game was a lot more strategic with places to actually hide. I even managed to hide my Nightscythe on turn 1 before it had to fly over to the other side of the map. I watched a battle report by the miniwargaming guys and I agree with their assessment: You absolutely need to be playing with a lot of LOS blocking terrain in 8th. It at least feels that way at the moment.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

General Olloth posted:

I played with my necron terrain (some spires and a robo-hill) and a couple smaller cardboard boxes that I use for 7th and my necrons got loving slaughtered by 48" range because of the new line of sight rules.

I played a game last night, Necrons V Orks, at my FLGS and I set up a ton of LOS blocking terrain they had. Lots of un-enterable buildings with stairs to get on top but no windows. Lots of 4" corridors through building corners on the map. It was WAY better. Both of us felt like the game was a lot more strategic with places to actually hide. I even managed to hide my Nightscythe on turn 1 before it had to fly over to the other side of the map. I watched a battle report by the miniwargaming guys and I agree with their assessment: You absolutely need to be playing with a lot of LOS blocking terrain in 8th. It at least feels that way at the moment.

Good poo poo. Yeah we don't really have much LOS blocking terrain, the buildings here are mostly ruins and full of holes. I'll have to see about getting some.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

Painted my first 40K unit ever, a pathfinder team for the local SW:A campaign:

I was going for an urban theme but ended up underwhelmed by the muted colors, even with the orange accents. I have 2 start collecting boxes to bootstrap my army and I'm using the remaining pathfinders in the box to try out some alternative schemes. Top of my list are a white/grey and orange scheme like the official Vior'la scheme but Sa'cea orange instead (and also I guess a lot like the white and orange army posted earlier) or Farsight Enclaves because red is awesome.

Still, this was a great learning experience with several glue mishaps.

drat dude, these look really good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

You know they're not actually a faction, right? :confused:

That's like saying "How are Nobz looking, as an army?"

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

chutche2 posted:

Good poo poo. Yeah we don't really have much LOS blocking terrain, the buildings here are mostly ruins and full of holes. I'll have to see about getting some.

Yeah, I need to get some agreed upon houserules for my terrain pieces that are effective if I'm going to keep using them, because they kind of suck now. Probably you could agree the ruins are LOS blocking if you don't have something better to use. (I have a stack of slightly differently sized nested Amazon boxes I accumulated, but they aren't like painted or anything so I was trying to move away from them)

Warhammer 40k: They nerfed my third-party terrain

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

You know they're not actually a faction, right? :confused:

That's like saying "How are Nobz looking, as an army?"

They're not a faction, but they've already said there are chapters consisting completely of Primaris marines, and you can take Primaris in all the slots. So you can technically field a full force of Primaris marines.

They're for sure coming out with more stuff for them like transports and tanks as well.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

xtothez posted:

So 7 years and probably ~20,000pts into a Tyranid army I find myself buying Start Collecting: Tyranids. Help.

You know I don't actually have a Baal Predator, which are awesome now, and I never got round to ebaying that Blood Angel Terminator Captain, plus I could always use another of those fancy BA tactical sprues with all the cool bitz.

The madness spreads.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zark the Damned posted:

You're welcome to any Salamnders pics you want to use from https://imgur.com/a/DKkJA - if you need a better pic taking let me know and I can sort it out this weekend.

Also you should include your own White Panthers somewhere in the OP :)

I think I can make one of these work. The challenge is more the angle of the photos than the age of the mans.

Ha, I appreciate the vote of confidence about the White Panthers. If I have time this week and I don't get a better submission for the generic space marines banner, maybe I'll take a photo for that.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Have there been any rumors of new plastic basic Chaos Marines/Havocs lately? Khorne Berzerkers as well. I'm curious about doing a themed World Eaters army but I would never attempt it until those awful models get resculpted. I do like the new plastic Kharn a lot.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
They pretty much stated from the get go there'd be enough Primaris stuff to run them as an army of their own, in addition to supplementing their manlet brothers.

To actually answer the question, we honestly do not know. Best wait and see what gets brought out for them before deciding to go all in on Primaris.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

chutche2 posted:

Also, not sure where people keep getting this idea that I fear gaunts?

Naw man, you afraid of fighting.

Lemme tell you something:

Jump packs.

They got that <fly> yeah?

You in a fight that you don't like? You just jump out. Then you can shoot them baddies, if you want. It's not falling back. Maybe you don't deep strike your jumpies. Maybe they're your front line.

Maybe coupla isn't the right nick name for you.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

DO IT TO IT posted:

Have there been any rumors of new plastic basic Chaos Marines/Havocs lately? Khorne Berzerkers as well. I'm curious about doing a themed World Eaters army but I would never attempt it until those awful models get resculpted. I do like the new plastic Kharn a lot.

If you've got some spare bolt pistols and other bitz I understand people have been doing some great conversion with the Sigmar Blood Warriors.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Khorne-Bloodbound-Blood-Warriors

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 13, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm about to play 1000 points of Guard against Tau for the first time in 8th

My list:

HQ:

Company commander
Primaris Psyker

Elites:

Commissar
Platoon commander
Veteran squad
-GLx3

Troops:

Infantry Squad
-GL
-Chimera
--HB
--ML

Infantry Squad
-flamer
-taurax
--ACx2

Conscriptsx30

HW:

LRx2
-battle cannon
-HB

HW Squad
-LCx3

Fast attack:

Armored Sentinel
-Plasma Cannon

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
what apps are being used for 8th edition army building? I saw people posting some pretty army rosters ...

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

what apps are being used for 8th edition army building? I saw people posting some pretty army rosters ...

https://webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

DiHK posted:

Naw man, you afraid of fighting.

Lemme tell you something:

Jump packs.

They got that <fly> yeah?

You in a fight that you don't like? You just jump out. Then you can shoot them baddies, if you want. It's not falling back. Maybe you don't deep strike your jumpies. Maybe they're your front line.

Maybe coupla isn't the right nick name for you.

Oh, wow, I'd never really considered running non-jump assault squads as chainsword screens for my shooty mans. That's very viable now that intervening units don't add cover

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Zuul the Cat posted:

They're not a faction, but they've already said there are chapters consisting completely of Primaris marines, and you can take Primaris in all the slots. So you can technically field a full force of Primaris marines.

They're for sure coming out with more stuff for them like transports and tanks as well.

Codex and more units out next month.

Will include dreadnoughts, tank, gut terminators and scouts.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Thundercloud posted:

Codex and more units out next month.

Will include dreadnoughts, tank, gut terminators and scouts.

Wait...scouts? Primaris scouts?! I am suddenly very interested.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

It's such a relief to know that my putting off buying anything but a single sniper scout kit all this time will finally pay off. I am seriously not a fan of those kits.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Wait...scouts? Primaris scouts?! I am suddenly very interested.

Not the same scouts as now. They are infiltrator/special forces types.

Same as the gutminators aren't the same as terminators. They all have shoulder mounted missile pods.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thundercloud posted:

Not the same scouts as now. They are infiltrator/special forces types.

Same as the gutminators aren't the same as terminators. They all have shoulder mounted missile pods.

Rad. Glad I decided to go all in on the Primaris then.

Is it a standalone Primaris codex? Or the full Vanilla Marines?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Oh hey this finally seems to be just about done, atleast as far as my armies are concerned. Sweet!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
As requested:

pre:
Unit					Cost		Guants/100	Marine/100	Land Raider/100
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Space Marine (Flamer)			22		8.84		2.65		0.03
Company Veteran (Flamer)		25		7.78		2.33		0.02
Bike Veteran (Flamer + 2x Boltguns)	45		7.61		2.28		0.02
Terminator (Heavy Flamer)		45		5.19		2.59		0.05
Razorback (TL Heavy Flamer)		99		4.71		2.36		0.05
Land Raider Redeemer (Everything)	304		4.11		1.90		0.07
Inceptor (2x Assault Bolter)		60		4.44		1.11		0.02
Land Speeder (2x Heavy Flamer)		114		4.09		2.05		0.04
Stormhawk* (2x HB, 2x Assault C, SC)	164		6.45		2.74		0.06
Stormtalon* (2x HB, TL Assault Cannon)	165		7.07		3.03		0.06
Stormstrike* (Everything)		274		5.43		2.28		0.07

*Hovering
Interestingly enough the Stormtalon and Stormhawk have the same rule, but they do the exact opposite. The Stormhawk's Interceptor ability gives it a +1 against anything that flies. The Stormtalon's Interceptor ability gives it a +1 against anything that does not. Both suffer from a -1 penalty when moving and firing their heavy weapons, a problem the Stormstrike does not have.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I might be able to do something in the evening.

Let me know when you know for sure?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
@Beer4TheBeerGod: Thanks for posting the heavy flamer speeder stats.

This looks sweet. The list builder looks to be working for 7th, but when I'm in 8th edition mode, there's nothing in the dropdown for books?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Kingfish posted:

I'm about to play 1000 points of Guard against Tau for the first time in 8th

As a fellow Guard player, I'd appreciate a report on how you go :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Here's some fun math. Within the Space Marine arsenal there are three ranged weapons that are capable of, on average, taking out 13% of the wounds of a Land Raider in one shot. For those keeping score that's 2 wounds.

Only one weapon in the arsenal can do better, but it can only be used once.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Here's some fun math. Within the Space Marine arsenal there are three ranged weapons that are capable of, on average, taking out 13% of the wounds of a Land Raider in one shot. For those keeping score that's 2 wounds.

This is a terrible riddle.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm guessing demolisher cannon, orbital array, and grav cannon? And either twin lascannon or twin supercharged heavy plasma cannon I bet.

Edit: Looks like grav cannons aren't going to do as much as I thought, so it's probably the others unless there's something I'm not remembering

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 14, 2017

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Played another 8th ed Narrative game today, 54 power my Cult against Dark Angels called to a planet to download information about The Fallen; they needed to survive until at least Turn 5.

Everything was in assault Turn 1.

My dice were straight on fire, and I made nearly all of my Cult Ambush charges. The whole force fired at the gaggle of 15 'Stealers led by my Patriarch, and only around 6 made it into assault after casting Mass Hypnosis on the target squad so they couldn't retaliate competently.

Nobody's transports went down except my Rockgrinder, which managed to burn one Terminator before charging and doing nothing in CC. However, because of the nature of the scenario, I spent 2 CP and had it immediately come back and grind into combat--again doing nothing. The 2 Heavy Flamers from the Chimera did about as much damage. This was not the case with my Primus and his squad of 10 Acolytes who chopped up a Tac Squad in 2 rounds. It's silly easy to make up for losing 2 attacks in CC this edition: Primus gives +1 to hit, Cult Icon lets you re-roll 1s to hit--absolutely baller on Heavy Rock Drills and Cutters.

I learned a 5-man flamer pistol squad of Acolytes cannot handle 3 DA Bikers. poo poo just ain't happening. I dropped one Rhino to one wound, ate all the Tactical Marines and Terminators, and half-killed the Librarian. End of Turn 2, my buddy had 3 bikers, the Librarian, and 2 dying Rhinos left, and I could drop the Purestrains from play and return to the field full-force. We called it pretty early.

Just a few rolls differently and the battle would have swung around. I could not be happier with this edition, really.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I just noticed that apparently getting bikers for a Nurgle army is no longer an option. I hope it gets added in when the actual book comes out, or I'll be stuck with quite a few lovingly converted, useless models.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

I'm guessing demolisher cannon, orbital array, and grav cannon? And either twin lascannon or twin supercharged heavy plasma cannon I bet.

Edit: Looks like grav cannons aren't going to do as much as I thought, so it's probably the others unless there's something I'm not remembering

Got two. Orbital cannon does the most, demolisher cannon is one of the three that does 13%.

The other two have identical stats except for range; Twin Lascannon and the Las-talon. Nothing else beats 8% (Multi-Melta at half range).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Don't even know what a las-talon is.

Also, what's the stats on the twin heavy plasma then? I thought it would've beaten the multimelta.

Oh, apparently there's also a twin multimelta? What even carries that?

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 14, 2017

• Locked thread