Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Cindy Shitbird posted:

oh my god "DAY DRINK AT SBARRO" is the most depressing best phrase username I've come across in a long time. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Crappy Home Deconstruction Tale: Renter Tear Down

quote:

“We woefully underestimated what the worst-case scenario was. I never would have guessed.”

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

"I'm not paying you rent anymore, there isn't even a house there!"
"Where did the house go?"
"...Don't worry, I'm gonna build a new one."

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was actually going to do one of those "mods, please change name" posts for that but I don't have any good avatar ideas for it

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

SoundMonkey posted:

and now you're sitting on the bottom of the ocean listing 30 degrees with a pipe gushing sea water all over everyone and you're the only one without broken limbs and NOW HOW SMART WAS IT TO DAY DRINK AT SBARRO INSTEAD OF GOING TO CLASS

Day drinking at Sbarro was one of our certification criteria.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Jerry Cotton posted:

No it's not.

Well, I've actually done this, and I found it to be the case. My mileage may have varied, I guess.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm working on some "affordable" rentals and it has the most hosed up sprinkler situation, I've never seen something like this in my life. Instead of hiding the sprinkler pipes (which are all bright orange PVC) in the walls or ceiling like all normal buildings, they zig zag visibly through the walls of all the units. Not only is it ugly as hell it's a huge safety and water damage issue. There's closets with these pipes running through them and they look like another thing to hang your stuff off, random pipes burst out of a wall, run along it, then vanish back in. I have no idea how this was approved or who designed this or what the story is. I have a ton of pictures but since they're a client I don't want to publicly mock them too bad so close to their occupancy inspection.

The best part is that the city agrees this is hosed and has demanded the developer label every single exposed sprinkler pipe with a sign saying "Sprinkler Pipe, Damage Will Result in Flooding". So we've made like 100 little 1x4 inch metal signs that say that in bright red and will attach them to the pipe with ugly zap straps.

Oh also every time the pipe comes through a wall it's a rough hole in the drywall and other than the ones in living rooms they're just leaving them like that. It looks like they "cut" the pipe holes with a hammer.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Baronjutter posted:

I'm working on some "affordable" rentals and it has the most hosed up sprinkler situation

There's a story here, and I'm absolutely dying to know what it is.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

There's a story here, and I'm absolutely dying to know what it is.

It's probably a really bland story. City said 'we're not going to grandfather your slumlord firetraps anymore, you need sprinklers' and the owner said 'how cheap can I do this'.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

You should check if the sprinkler line is actually plumbed in and isn't just fed by a hose from a tap with a sign saying 'in event of fire, turn vigorously' stuck to it.

Edit: this gives me a great idea: why get expensive sprinklers when you can duct tape a lawn sprinkler to the ceiling and run a hose to it? It even rotates to give better coverage!

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
I'm the load bearing totem pole of stuffed animals.

More :staredog: here
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/az/concho/669-county-road-8235-stanford/pid_18337473/

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm working on some "affordable" rentals and it has the most hosed up sprinkler situation, I've never seen something like this in my life. Instead of hiding the sprinkler pipes (which are all bright orange PVC) in the walls or ceiling like all normal buildings, they zig zag visibly through the walls of all the units. Not only is it ugly as hell it's a huge safety and water damage issue. There's closets with these pipes running through them and they look like another thing to hang your stuff off, random pipes burst out of a wall, run along it, then vanish back in. I have no idea how this was approved or who designed this or what the story is. I have a ton of pictures but since they're a client I don't want to publicly mock them too bad so close to their occupancy inspection.

The best part is that the city agrees this is hosed and has demanded the developer label every single exposed sprinkler pipe with a sign saying "Sprinkler Pipe, Damage Will Result in Flooding". So we've made like 100 little 1x4 inch metal signs that say that in bright red and will attach them to the pipe with ugly zap straps.

Oh also every time the pipe comes through a wall it's a rough hole in the drywall and other than the ones in living rooms they're just leaving them like that. It looks like they "cut" the pipe holes with a hammer.

Does it have to be a hanging sign? Could you just get regular pipe labels that coil around the pipe? Definitely retrofit done on the cheap. Pipes probably come in and out of walls because something was in the wall.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

:stare:

Everyone click on this, because that picture somehow manages to undersell the crazy going on here.

Have you ever wondered if you could wallpaper log walls with photographs of cats? Or if you should build a literal stone castle for your cats in the living room? Maybe you've thought a kitchen could really use a four-color palette revolving around canary yellow, magenta, cerulean, and plum? Behold, all your dreams are answered!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ashcans posted:

:stare:

Everyone click on this, because that picture somehow manages to undersell the crazy going on here.

Have you ever wondered if you could wallpaper log walls with photographs of cats? Or if you should build a literal stone castle for your cats in the living room? Maybe you've thought a kitchen could really use a four-color palette revolving around canary yellow, magenta, cerulean, and plum? Behold, all your dreams are answered!

This looks like one of those Doom WADs with badly tiled textures.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Seriously, that whole house is like someone wanted to know if you could implement dazzle camouflage using cat pictures. The answer is yes, because I can't even parse what some of the rooms are or where surfaces begin or end.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I bet the atmosphere in that house is 98% ammonia.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I would say I want to know what the owner looks like, but I think I have a pretty good idea already.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'm pretty sure that there's a nice log home in there somewhere, but it's been completely covered up by cat pictures, and some idiot painting the logs.
Also seconding the ammonia atmosphere.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I really appreciate that the realtor took a look at that place and just accepted that there is no way to spin it:

quote:

If you love cats this is the home for you! If not bring your sandblaster! Cat walkways and in great room Medieval cat castle with different levels (stone). Must see to believe it does exist!!!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Exposed plastic sprinkler building is brand new construction which is the baffling part

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Let's set aside the cat stuff for a second and ask how can you have a 2500 sq ft home that's only 2 bed, 1 bath?

I'm over 1000 sq ft less and I've got 3 'official' bedrooms, and two "sort of basement" rooms that legally can't be bedrooms, but who am I to care if someone sleeps there?

Still just the one bath, though...one of these days I'll get around to making the "laundry corner" in the basement a fully-fledged half bath w/ laundry.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Let's set aside the cat stuff for a second and ask how can you have a 2500 sq ft home that's only 2 bed, 1 bath?

I'm over 1000 sq ft less and I've got 3 'official' bedrooms, and two "sort of basement" rooms that legally can't be bedrooms, but who am I to care if someone sleeps there?

Still just the one bath, though...one of these days I'll get around to making the "laundry corner" in the basement a fully-fledged half bath w/ laundry.

Really big living room(s) and/or bedroom(s).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It looks like a bunch of that space may be just weird giant catrooms like the upstairs area. It may also include whatever is going on in that room with the trampoline.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

The entire house is one big cat bathroom.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I've got 2 normal sized bedrooms, a large living room, 1 bathroom, kitchen/dining area all at about 870 sqft. How is 2500 2br 1 bath??? Is there a 2 story unfinished basement?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

It looks like the entire top floor is one giant nightmare fuel cat room, which I can only assume used to be bedrooms.

At the same time, if you look up my house on zillow or redfin, its listed as 2 bedroom 1 bath and ~2000sq/ft, but that is counting the mostly unfinished basement and ignoring the other bedroom on the main floor. Granted it is now a 2 bed 2 bath since I converted the top floor's 2 bedrooms into a master suite.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh my god, that house is adorable and near where my Wife and I want to move, is it still for sale?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
hair stairs,

click for big.

no idea why.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Noooooooooo !!(゜ロ゜ノ)ノ

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
Jesus. Jeeeeesus. I think the most responsible thing to do is burn the house down for the insurance money. In fact, the burned out skeleton of a house would probably up the resale value of the thing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think the best part is this quote from the description:

If you love cats this is the home for you! If not bring your sandblaster!

You can just hear the desperation from the realtor.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh I can't go out tonight I have to comb my stairs.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
WHY THE gently caress ARE THERE HAIR STAIRS gently caress THIS LETS BLOW UP THE PLANET

Seriously, the existence of hair stairs makes me angry enough to eradicate all life on earth.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

High Lord Elbow posted:

WHY THE gently caress ARE THERE HAIR STAIRS gently caress THIS LETS BLOW UP THE PLANET

Seriously, the existence of hair stairs makes me angry enough to eradicate all life on earth.

Mink-lined swimming pools was where I started doubting things.

e: Maybe it was ermine.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Lime Tonics posted:

hair stairs,

click for big.

no idea why.

When you have no money for carpet but a bag full of cheap wigs.

Seriously, this looks like something someone on a design competition show would come up with if forced to decorate a room out of the contents of a dumpster.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It must feel amazing on bare feet.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
It's so luxurious, too. Do they shampoo it on chore day?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

It's so luxurious, too. Do they shampoo it on chore day?

pretty sure it got cleaned once, just before that photo was taken, and now it had dreadlocks.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Pretty sure that's an art installation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Pretty sure that's an art installation

In a way, aren't all crappy constructions art instalations in this magnificent gallery called...

... life?