Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Supers are too powerful in PVP. Lol. Titans are fine, though. It's not actually remote reps or anything that cause fights to be binary in nature, and thus discourage uneven fights. Nah.

I swear, CCP plays this game less than I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
It's only taken about a decade but CCP finally is starting to realize that maybe capitals and supercapitals don't fit in with the PvE available in nullsec

or maybe the PvE in nullsec just sucks balls and hasn't changed significantly in Literally Ever

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Fix Lag posted:

It's only taken about a decade but CCP finally is starting to realize that maybe capitals and supercapitals don't fit in with the PvE available in nullsec

or maybe the PvE in nullsec just sucks balls and hasn't changed significantly in Literally Ever

Eh.

What chance is there to shoot at capitals on a day to day basis if they only undock for fights? Having PVE available for capitals means that there's a reason to undock them to be shot at. This provides more food for PVP types, both in terms of attacking them and in terms of defending them. It puts more Butts In Space and provides a goal for new players to work towards.

Removing them from PVE means they are essentially hangar ornaments, except when they're in the blob doing a limited subset of things for a very short period of time. CCP absolutely wants more capitals in space.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ynglaur posted:

Supers are too powerful in PVP. Lol. Titans are fine, though. It's not actually remote reps or anything that cause fights to be binary in nature, and thus discourage uneven fights. Nah.

I swear, CCP plays this game less than I do.

Here's where I think the issue is: they have seagull in charge as executive producer. Which is fine, a producer doing management type stuff is important. But there's nobody at the top as lead designer. The designers are all embedded in the teams system that CCP is using. They're head down trying to solve problems that get put on their team's table, sometimes their solutions really suck from the larger perspective.

Eve is so complex it's almost a full time job just keeping track of things. They need someone separate from the implementation teams as the design lead, to integrate between the team designers and think about feedback from the CSM / community. And not an ex-player, at least not one whose main qualification is that they play the game.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Klyith posted:

Here's where I think the issue is: they have seagull in charge as executive producer. Which is fine, a producer doing management type stuff is important. But there's nobody at the top as lead designer. The designers are all embedded in the teams system that CCP is using. They're head down trying to solve problems that get put on their team's table, sometimes their solutions really suck from the larger perspective.

Eve is so complex it's almost a full time job just keeping track of things. They need someone separate from the implementation teams as the design lead, to integrate between the team designers and think about feedback from the CSM / community. And not an ex-player, at least not one whose main qualification is that they play the game.

this. One of the big problems CCP has is no one seems to be considering the consequences when someone has a 'neat' idea. Skill injectors were a 'neat' idea but they allowed veteran players to instantly switch to new OP doctrines. Citadels are a neat idea but CCP never considered the long term ramifications of entrenched nullsec groups or WH groups plopping down keepstar after keepstar. T3 ships are a neat idea but they never considered how they would completely overshadow and replace assault frigs and HACs. Same with entosis trolling interceptors. There hasn't been a single well thought out change CCP has made in years. Hell lets go back further to DDAs and drone assist. Why in the gently caress were those even added? Like one day CCP will seem to be against multiboxing then on other days they'll make design changes that allow a fleet of drone ships to assist all their drones to a single t3. It blows my loving mind why anyone ever thought that was a good idea. 'neat' idea sure but loving broken and dumb.

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

orange juche posted:

I miss Thotol :smith:

Idk if he plays anymore but I don't miss him enough to come back to EVE, because I am not spergy enough to find ways to grind out 1.5 billion isks per month just to pay a sub, and the game isn't worth 15 bucks a month to me.

He's actually on the AT team this year.

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

Reverand maynard posted:

this. One of the big problems CCP has is no one seems to be considering the consequences when someone has a 'neat' idea. Skill injectors were a 'neat' idea but they allowed veteran players to instantly switch to new OP doctrines. Citadels are a neat idea but CCP never considered the long term ramifications of entrenched nullsec groups or WH groups plopping down keepstar after keepstar. T3 ships are a neat idea but they never considered how they would completely overshadow and replace assault frigs and HACs. Same with entosis trolling interceptors. There hasn't been a single well thought out change CCP has made in years. Hell lets go back further to DDAs and drone assist. Why in the gently caress were those even added? Like one day CCP will seem to be against multiboxing then on other days they'll make design changes that allow a fleet of drone ships to assist all their drones to a single t3. It blows my loving mind why anyone ever thought that was a good idea. 'neat' idea sure but loving broken and dumb.

Walking in stations... Vapourware at this point.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Walking in stations was never a good idea. The only person I could see benefiting from a properly done walking in stations would be Jade Constantine.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Just saw this

https://www.eve-mogul.com/

For a mere 100 million isk a month. You too can track your in game assets through this external service :v:

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Ugh. The captains quarters section of station docks is just...just awful.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Catberry posted:

Just saw this

https://www.eve-mogul.com/

For a mere 100 million isk a month. You too can track your in game assets through this external service :v:

and have your data collected by people hostile to GSF :v:

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

and have your data collected by people hostile to GSF :v:

That's what Evemon is for. Because full API for everything is less effort than making new ones.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Yeah walking in stations is a perfect example of CCP having a 'neat' idea and then wasting a lot of man hours on a stupid project that fizzled.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Reverand maynard posted:

Yeah walking in stations is a perfect example of CCP having a 'neat' idea and then wasting a lot of man hours on a stupid project that fizzled.

So you're saying that walking in stations is just a smaller example of the entirety of Eve?

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Somewhat to my surprise my ticks aren't like any different after the fighter nerf

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Helpimscared posted:

Somewhat to my surprise my ticks aren't like any different after the fighter nerf

did you change your fit, or did ccp gently caress up the patch :laugh:

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I'm gonna go with :ccp: hosed up the patch and didn't realize a 10% decrease in damage won't have that much of an effect on PvE at least.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

In a carrier you were already wasting ~30% of every other volley on a BS rat with max skills. So to really nerf it you would have had to cut dps by at least 15%.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Reverand maynard posted:

Nah, walking in stations was an example of "we're spending all our money on this new MMO, how do we support our old MMO with the content updates that keep people playing? oh also one is about vampires and one is about spaceships."

Walking in Stations = World of Darkness

If CCP hadn't been making WoD we'd never have had WiS to begin with. If they'd been more competent at making WoD, WiS might have been better -- like actual multiplayer -- and thus given them the runway they needed to put another year of 100% effort on WoD while letting Eve kinda lay fallow. They never had the resources to do both, and it's clear that they always intended to use tech from WoD in Eve to offset the cost. Which isn't a terrible plan, in fact it's pretty much the only option to do something like that with the limited resources at CCP's disposal.

The problem with that plan was it required perfect execution to pull off, while their actual management of WoD was a trash fire. It should have been axed long before it was.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Klyith posted:

Nah, walking in stations was an example of "we're spending all our money on this new MMO, how do we support our old MMO with the content updates that keep people playing? oh also one is about vampires and one is about spaceships."

Walking in Stations = World of Darkness

If CCP hadn't been making WoD we'd never have had WiS to begin with. If they'd been more competent at making WoD, WiS might have been better -- like actual multiplayer -- and thus given them the runway they needed to put another year of 100% effort on WoD while letting Eve kinda lay fallow. They never had the resources to do both, and it's clear that they always intended to use tech from WoD in Eve to offset the cost. Which isn't a terrible plan, in fact it's pretty much the only option to do something like that with the limited resources at CCP's disposal.

The problem with that plan was it required perfect execution to pull off, while their actual management of WoD was a trash fire. It should have been axed long before it was.

WiS was born of a powerpoint presentation which featured one slide for "repurpose existing assets" and another entitled "MICRO TRANSACTIONS!".

In retrospect, the truly odious part is was the development time spent building the (now abandoned) aurum system. An entire system to accommodate micro transactions, with no one building it asking "why would people want space clothes for a character in a multiplayer game - when other players can't see the chacacter." Plus it turned granulating plex got the job done better. The WiS part was crap, but it was salvaged from another game and still exists as the character creator. It's the aurum store that was the complete waste.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Maneck posted:

WiS was born of a powerpoint presentation which featured one slide for "repurpose existing assets" and another entitled "MICRO TRANSACTIONS!".

In retrospect, the truly odious part is was the development time spent building the (now abandoned) aurum system. An entire system to accommodate micro transactions, with no one building it asking "why would people want space clothes for a character in a multiplayer game - when other players can't see the chacacter." Plus it turned granulating plex got the job done better. The WiS part was crap, but it was salvaged from another game and still exists as the character creator. It's the aurum store that was the complete waste.

If things had gone as planned (a Carbon engine capable of multiplayer interaction, players satisfied with a new "jesus feature") the clothing microtransactions would have had value. And it's entirely possible that Aurum was planned to be a cross-game currency, at which point some of the features that were detrimental in practice would have made more sense.

But CCP has also been really poo poo at understanding microtransaction value, as demonstrated by monocles and $10-20 ship skins that only apply to a single ship type. poo poo, as we speak they're giving away a bunch of skins they used to sell for money and most of them have near zero ISK value, let alone dollars. Only :ccp: can take a feature that players are begging for and turn it into a own goal fuckup.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
I am really confused by skins. I would buy some I like but the combinations aren't there.

Like why does the Lachesis have 2 fewer skins than the Celestis when a skin is the only difference in the first place?

Or the bundles. Why is there a Marauder bundle? Do Marauder pilots often alternate between ships? Why isn't there a T1 cruiser or T1 frigate bundle instead? Or even a logi bundle?

Or just all the police skins in the world for all the ships. I would pay money for a police Lachesis skin or a police Dictor/Hictor skin.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
Everyone would have paid to have the police skin and CCP didn't offer it because they're loving retarded

it's a common theme

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

There's a MLYP joke in there somewhere... But as for actual content, I suspect this will bite CCP in the rear end before long.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

WoD is what happens when your CEO gets off his tits on coke and rotten shark in the pre financial crash days whilst hanging out with Icelandic bankers, buys a trad RPG company on a whim because he played Vampire a few times as a teen, and then the underlings have to run around finding something to do with it whilst continually slipping deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole rather than pulling the plug at the earliest opportunity.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
e; gently caress me wrong thread.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Catberry posted:

I am really confused by skins. I would buy some I like but the combinations aren't there.

Like why does the Lachesis have 2 fewer skins than the Celestis when a skin is the only difference in the first place?

Or the bundles. Why is there a Marauder bundle? Do Marauder pilots often alternate between ships? Why isn't there a T1 cruiser or T1 frigate bundle instead? Or even a logi bundle?

Or just all the police skins in the world for all the ships. I would pay money for a police Lachesis skin or a police Dictor/Hictor skin.

Fix Lag posted:

Everyone would have paid to have the police skin and CCP didn't offer it because they're loving retarded

the amount of loving retarded that is represented with ship skins is best expressed by a combination of :ccp: and where the the viking is powering up to loving retarded 3

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Catberry posted:

Reportedly the Chinese server has an abundance of awesome skins. The reasons the main server doesn't get them has something to do with enforcing style standards.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Maneck posted:

Reportedly the Chinese server has an abundance of awesome skins. The reasons the main server doesn't get them has something to do with enforcing style standards.

CCP still trying to enforce that lore friendly poo poo wrt skins.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

supposedly part of the reason they don't cut and paste serenity skins to TQ is performance

apparently the serenity skins render really poorly, but serenity is so small that no one cares or something like that

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
no one cares what skin anyone is using unless you're flying a capital class starship space vessel or above.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Maneck posted:

Style standards are probably the reason a lot of early skins, like the ones being given away right now, are such dark boring garbage. But the reason we don't have Serenity skins is less style standards, more technical & performance ones.

The skins system on tranq is a pretty clever bit of design actually. The textures for the model don't actually represent colors, just the patterns of color / material / emission lights on the ship. The game uses shaders to do the color, material properties (ie metallic vs gloss vs matte), and so on. So when you change the skin on your ship, you're just changing those shaders. Shaders are small and quick to load to memory, so there's not much stopping you from having tons and tons of skins.

OTOH a large number of the chinese server's cool skins are complete texture replacements. Obviously you can do anything you want with that. That's why they were getting awesome stuff when we were still getting nothing but recolors. Downside, there's a performance penalty with that. When someone uses a different skin you have to load a complete new texture into memory. (And a disk space cost, which becomes relevant if you wanted to do skins for every ship in the game with this method. Which is why serenity's cool skins are for the most popular ships.)

More recent tranq skins like star captain, hazard control, and the christmas & guardian's gala ones, are using a more complex system that is still way more efficient than serenity.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 14, 2017

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Flycatcher with the Matigu Seabeast is the tits.

Caldari get mega shafted with skins but the Matigu Seabeast line are on point. Amarr easily have the best skins overall.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

dialhforhero posted:

Caldari get mega shafted with skins

The Gallente would like to have a word.
I've been running those Drone sites and keep getting Valimor Legacy skins, which basically just make your Gallente ships a dark, poop-like green all over. For the longest time these and a handful of other skins were the only choices Gallente ships had.
Not to mention that, for some reason, the secondary colors were always gray, which meant that in practice your Gallente skin only really covered a few patches on your ship with a slightly different darker color. The only lighter skins were Inner Zone, and Quafe skins, them and the police skins were pretty much the only ones worth caring about. But those were only available on a handful of ships

Catberry posted:

The models do differ, ever so slightly, in appearance and/or form factor so there would have been imperfections when blindly applying skins to them.
Note that the SiSi bug pretty much proved that people didn't care as long as they got cool skins, or that they could easily just bundle all skins based on the same hull (Celestis, Lachesis, Arazu) into one bundle and sell them like crazy but apparently their new, highly competent marketing team thought it was a better idea to sell poop-green skins for each ship separately.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 14, 2017

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Roller Coast Guard posted:

WoD is what happens when your CEO gets off his tits on coke and rotten shark in the pre financial crash days whilst hanging out with Icelandic bankers, buys a trad RPG company on a whim because he played Vampire a few times as a teen, and then the underlings have to run around finding something to do with it whilst continually slipping deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole rather than pulling the plug at the earliest opportunity.

They started development right around the Twilight craze. If they had delivered a decent product they'd have made loving bank.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

peak debt posted:

They started development right around the Twilight craze. If they had delivered a decent product they'd have made loving bank.

Whiny goth nerds haven't gone away, the current owners of the IP could still make bank on it if they did it right.

CCP's problem is that they couldn't do it right because they didn't have the resources to make that game and run EVE and ended up loving up both. Also because they're CCP.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I have two characters stuck in hostile stations which are also their home station from 4 years ago, and when I follow the instructions for setting their home stations to their school HQs, I am denied because I'm not allowed to using the cloning services in the station I'm in. If I undock, I'm sure I'll just be podded right back to where I was. GMs are being extremely unhelpful, and I know I'm dumb about Eve and lots of other things too, so if anyone here could tell me the obviously dumb thing I'm doing wrong that would be really nice.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So my buddy is venturing into the EVE Online trench now. Which skills should he train? I'm a bit unsure myself since even the alphas have a lot of skills to choose from. Told him to go for stuff like gunnery, controlled burst and the racial frigate skill. Also stuff like capacitor and shield boosting skills along with target management.

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I have two characters stuck in hostile stations which are also their home station from 4 years ago, and when I follow the instructions for setting their home stations to their school HQs, I am denied because I'm not allowed to using the cloning services in the station I'm in. If I undock, I'm sure I'll just be podded right back to where I was. GMs are being extremely unhelpful, and I know I'm dumb about Eve and lots of other things too, so if anyone here could tell me the obviously dumb thing I'm doing wrong that would be really nice.

I have like, 1 billion in assets locked in hostile stations from back in the day. I can sell the stuff and get like 1/4th of the ISK at best so it is just sitting there but I should probably just do it, what choice do I have. :saddowns:

Boar It fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 14, 2017

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Yeah same here with the 0.p assets. I pretty much just tucked the contents of an entire station into a can and put it up for auction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Caldari don't need skins because their ships are A+ without them

• Locked thread