Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri85HjAbj74

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/06/10/national/bus-car-crash-kills-one-injures-45-aichi/

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hi please don't jump on people posting videos you turbonerds.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

:stare:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Adiabatic posted:

Hi please don't jump on people posting videos you turbonerds.
Hi did you see the video superchargernerd?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Cage posted:

Hi did you see the video superchargernerd?

Nope he's taken it down and probably gotten your point by now. All I see is you ranting at a dude for posting a video.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Well what he did was dumb enough that you probably wouldn't be posting that, but I get your point I won't bring it up anymore.

Is there a commonly recommended dashcam under $100? Just got a nice car and want to be protected in case the next time there isn't a witness.

This probably gets asked every week my bad. :rip:

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Möbius

A118c (new version is a119c)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Hdip posted:

Möbius

A118c (new version is a119c)
Thanks Ill check it out.

Krakkles what dashcam do you use? :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can vouch for both the real a118 and 119 capacitor versions being bulletproof

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

What the gently caress car even was that? Looked kind of like a Mazda Demio.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Cage posted:

Thanks Ill check it out.

Krakkles what dashcam do you use? :v:

I just bought 2 A118C's for $55/each, 2x Sandisk HighEndurance 64GB Cards, and 2x remote wiring kits from Amazon for like $90. I already installed one in my Fit, and the wife's is next in the queue. $150 for both cars isn't bad.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Who has experience with these?

Basically what is happening is the cam will start over and over for about 10 minutes then work fine for the rest of the drive, but it does it pretty much every time the car comes on. Is this a faulty adapter or me doing a lovely wiring job?

Basically is there anything I can check before sending it back?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Either a bad power supply or a bad camera. What happens if you use the power supply that the camera came with?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Basically what is happening is the cam will start over and over for about 10 minutes then work fine for the rest of the drive, but it does it pretty much every time the car comes on. Is this a faulty adapter or me doing a lovely wiring job?

Holy poo poo you too? I've gone through 4 of these loving things and I've been convinced that my cameras (Mobius) are poo poo. I'm ordering this to try now

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I can vouch for both the real a118 and 119 capacitor versions being bulletproof

sharkytm posted:

I just bought 2 A118C's for $55/each, 2x Sandisk HighEndurance 64GB Cards, and 2x remote wiring kits from Amazon for like $90. I already installed one in my Fit, and the wife's is next in the queue. $150 for both cars isn't bad.
Did you get a 'real' one? Can you link me to the one you picked up?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gothmog1065 posted:

Which camera? My G1W does that if it's not happy with the power for one reason or another, and that included a cheap USB adapter, so it very well may be that cord at fault.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Guy is lucky, doesn't die. Drunk driver, wrong side of the road, fraction of a second to react

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeHEv7oJEd0&feature=youtu.be

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lime Tonics posted:

Guy is lucky, doesn't die. Drunk driver, wrong side of the road, fraction of a second to react

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeHEv7oJEd0&feature=youtu.be

Was that you?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It's funny, I don't know if my reaction would be the same in real life, but watching that video my reflexes told me he should bear right and follow the truck, and I cringed as he drifted left. Especially if he knew it was his own friend who wasn't impaired. If I see a car swerve in the road like that I assume there's something in the road and at least prepare to follow them.

I really wonder if I would have avoided that collision or not.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Gothmog1065 posted:

Have a multimeter? Check your voltages and see if they are stable

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

LloydDobler posted:

It's funny, I don't know if my reaction would be the same in real life, but watching that video my reflexes told me he should bear right and follow the truck, and I cringed as he drifted left. Especially if he knew it was his own friend who wasn't impaired. If I see a car swerve in the road like that I assume there's something in the road and at least prepare to follow them.

I really wonder if I would have avoided that collision or not.

It's really weird/funny how our brains can see something that is so completely unexpected that it just throws it out with a mental "naaahhh". Driving home just today I passed a car driving on the wrong side of the road, and I still couldn't swear to it until I pulled tape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS5ks678D08
So this road is 3 lanes going my way, 2 lanes coming the other way. This car was driving down my far left lane on the wrong side of the yellow line :stare:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

two_beer_bishes posted:

Holy poo poo you too? I've gone through 4 of these loving things and I've been convinced that my cameras (Mobius) are poo poo. I'm ordering this to try now

wolrah posted:

Which camera? My G1W does that if it's not happy with the power for one reason or another, and that included a cheap USB adapter, so it very well may be that cord at fault.

A119S. It's not the camera itself, it works fine on the power outlet power (When the adapter isn't pulling loose for whatever reason). So that's why I'm leaning toward that adapter thing. I can't find a Rexing that is a mini-USB though.

The only thing that I could possibly re do is the connection from the fuse bypass thing to the converter itself, but it's crimped pretty well (First time was "too well").

Laranzu posted:

Have a multimeter? Check your voltages and see if they are stable

I have a cheap one, but I lost one of the leads during a move. Pretty sure it's the converter.

e: after reading around a bit, I might just chop off the converter portion and replace it with this.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 16, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gothmog1065 posted:

e: after reading around a bit, I might just chop off the converter portion and replace it with this.

That is probably a good call. Either that or a converter that gives you a full-size A socket which you could then use a high quality A to Mini-B cable with.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA29C4CU2453

newegg has the spy tec a119 (i think one people recommend here? or is this the bootleg of a good one?) for $79.99 right now if anyone was waiting on one. additional 5% off with a code on the product page.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

wolrah posted:

That is probably a good call. Either that or a converter that gives you a full-size A socket which you could then use a high quality A to Mini-B cable with.

That is a 3A converter. I could probably run 2 or 3 off that and not have issues. They do have bigger ones, but I definitely don't need those.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

baram. posted:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA29C4CU2453

newegg has the spy tec a119 (i think one people recommend here? or is this the bootleg of a good one?) for $79.99 right now if anyone was waiting on one. additional 5% off with a code on the product page.

Spytec is a US distributor for the A119. In fact the camera when you get it from them will show a SpyTec logo on bootup, but this goes away once you flash the newest firmware from Viotek's website.

I also recommend getting the circular polarizer lens for it. It makes a massive difference! I was quite surprised just how big of a difference it was. Without the filter all you could see was my the reflection of my dash, and with the CP lens, zero reflection.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

how do the CP lenses affect night performance?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
It dims it a bit, but not a huge amount. It can be hard to spot the difference unless you are driving on a completely dark night with no other lighting but your headlights.

I'll try and post some comparison screen grabs tomorrow.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Cage posted:

Did you get a 'real' one? Can you link me to the one you picked up?

I bought them from Adorama, seem legit...

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

sharkytm posted:

I bought them from Adorama, seem legit...
Thanks for the link :v:

This one popped up for sale:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...35T49463&cm_sp=

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A moron in a Skoda decides to show off and understeers right into a ditch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2IpM1fGNvo

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
It's my life's goal to drive long enough to capture something like this in person

http://i.imgur.com/blGGMVA.mp4

after that I can die, happy and fulfilled.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Eh, I think it's stupid of the cars to be following each other so closely that nobody can merge in without forcing their way over. It's literally the reason traffic happens.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Takes No Damage posted:

It's my life's goal to drive long enough to capture something like this in person

http://i.imgur.com/blGGMVA.mp4

after that I can die, happy and fulfilled.

I don't have a dashcam installed, but I was fortunate enough to be sitting in a line of cars and have a Prius scoot up the opposite lane so they didn't have to wait to turn left ... and drive right past the cop in front of me. I actually saw the driver's head snap to the right, see the cop too late, and shake sadly as he realized he was screwed.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Australian dash cams will always be my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcN4xlzXHvU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Scruff McGruff posted:

Australian dash cams will always be my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcN4xlzXHvU

They weren't kidding about all the animals trying to kill you in Australia.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URjdeKMvMUc&t=273s

An unexpected outcome

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Eh, I think it's stupid of the cars to be following each other so closely that nobody can merge in without forcing their way over. It's literally the reason traffic happens.

Where I live (Bay area, CA) if you leave a reasonable gap in front of you in heavy traffic, a car will merge into that gap every ten seconds. To keep re-creating the gap requires going slower than everyone else on the road, and after about three cars have taken advantage, the drivers behind you will see that you are an idiot and begin merging right to pass you in the same manner.

E.g. leaving a gap simply does not work unless a majority of the other drivers respect it. And in fact in some circumstances if you want to make any progress whatsoever, your only choice is to close the gap firmly and refuse to give way. There are certain exits off certain freeways in the bay area that inevitably have super long lines of traffic for a mile back from the exit waiting to get off, and if you leave a gap, an endless stream of assholes "skipping the line" will take it. You might as well just park because you will never make it off the freeway unless you close the door on those people.

What is desperately needed is better road design, combined with aggressive and overwhelming enforcement of "don't be a dick and cut in line" rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cageeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Sep 6, 2012

by zen death robot

Leperflesh posted:

E.g. leaving a gap simply does not work unless a majority of the other drivers respect it. And in fact in some circumstances if you want to make any progress whatsoever, your only choice is to close the gap firmly and refuse to give way. There are certain exits off certain freeways in the bay area that inevitably have super long lines of traffic for a mile back from the exit waiting to get off, and if you leave a gap, an endless stream of assholes "skipping the line" will take it. You might as well just park because you will never make it off the freeway unless you close the door on those people.

What is desperately needed is better road design, combined with aggressive and overwhelming enforcement of "don't be a dick and cut in line" rules.
Its hard but the easiest way to fix this is to stop caring about it, it happens everywhere. Its even more important driving a manual. I could get super frustrated every day and put a lot more wear and tear on my brakes and clutch or I can make sure I leave a few minutes early, leave room and both me and my car will arrive at work in better condition.