Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yep, if you search for VR headset on Amazon almost all the results are for phones.

Because they are cheap. They are literally boxes with a two lenses in them. I'm not a big fan of VR in general and I think it's probably going to just die in a decade only to be brought back again in twenty years, but Oculus and Vive projects have at least some modicum of innovation to them compared to mobile, simply because of hardware and software limitations of the latter. Google Cardbox is a fun little gimmick for :10bux:, but there's no money and therefore no real future in it. You can check latest VC investment numbers to see that VR hardware mostly gets the money.

AR, on the other hand, is something that has some real potential on mobile only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

All the "Californians lose their poo poo when it's only a little bit cold" jokes were a little too real.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Cojawfee posted:

I'm thinking it will be more them getting people to install the app.

Erlich finally gets to live up to his potential of jacking off every dude in the convention center.

Jared will handle the ladies

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Accretionist posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if VR arcades in urban centers become a thing.

These already existed like 30 years ago. Granted the tech back then was really lovely, but they were still a thing and were very popular for awhile. Then people just stopped caring and went back to regular old video games. There was one at Navy Pier in Chicago that I went to a few times. I think you shot at pterodactyls or something? BattleTech was always better though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
On the real world side I built a $1200 PC. (MicroITX, i7 6800k, gtx 1070, etc. I know my hardware) and it runs a Vive with no issues. It's glorious, I just want developers to make more games for it.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Love the running gag of guessing the wrong way Richard is coming in the house.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Love the running gag of guessing the wrong way Richard is coming in the house.

TMI, there is already too much fornication in that nerd demesne.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Erlich's downward spiral this episode was a little forced imo, he's obviously an idiot but he's not completely naive, would he really have made all those leaps of fate without getting a single thing signed on paper? Aren't verbal agreements also binding on some level?

Erlich should have been allowed to go to Hawaii.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Forgot to mention but the fridge screen still playing the fellating mime and "suck it jin yang" [sic] ruled.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Last two episodes were a bit of a let down for me compared to the absolutely amazing rest of the season. This episode seemed strangely low energy ..? Maybe that was just the actors trying to play being cold.
Mostly, while the plot was moving at breakneck pace, I just wasn't feeling the jokes. Also note the inexcusable lack of Jian Yang!!!!

But then, saying they're not quite measuring up to the earlier episodes this season means comparing them to a very high standard. This season is stellar.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

https://twitter.com/cliffski/status/874564187095224321

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

victorious posted:

Theres one not far from where I live; it's just a bunch of cubicles with PCs running Vive games from Steam but it's a pretty neat setup and it was fun for an hour or so. Once decent multiplayer games start coming out I could see it taking off.

Yeah. There's one just like that over here. A buddy and I played a co-op game of Arizona Sunshine. It was really fun.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Where the hell is Bighead?!?!

nerox
May 20, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

Either he is the chair of the computer science program at Stanford or he is campaigning for president at this point.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Bighead probably has a keynote speech at Hoolicon.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

mrmcd posted:

All the "Californians lose their poo poo when it's only a little bit cold" jokes were a little too real.

I went to a bar in Hollywood when it was 38 outside and they brought out this giant copper drum full of hot spiced cider with booze in it and everyone who had braved the cold to venture out to this bar was treated to free cider all night which is definitely illegal but that's okay because what cop would go out on a day like that?

I finally knew how it felt to live in Alaska.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

WrightOfWay posted:

Bighead probably has a keynote speech at Hoolicon.

This would be amazing. Jack Barker sees his work history superficially and invites him to speak. Richard or someone finds out and they use his speech to distribute their app.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

kiimo posted:

I went to a bar in Hollywood when it was 38 outside and they brought out this giant copper drum full of hot spiced cider with booze in it and everyone who had braved the cold to venture out to this bar was treated to free cider all night which is definitely illegal but that's okay because what cop would go out on a day like that?

I finally knew how it felt to live in Alaska.

To be fair, 38 when it's normally 70-85 is pretty cold. 70 or below where I live and I'm wearing a hoodie. Can't wait for it to be 117 next Monday!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

38 is still short sleeves and light jacket weather.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I found him in the movie "The Belko Experiment" the other day.
(It did not end well for him)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I thought they were all from the East coast anyway (like most of SV) and Guillfoyle is from Canada so he should have been wearing a tank top and sweating and making fun of Dinesh wearing a furry hat.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mcbexx posted:

I found him in the movie "The Belko Experiment" the other day.
(It did not end well for him)
Belko Experiment was "oh hey it's that guy!" the movie
his head certainly expanded but immediately lost volume... bigger but technically smaller head?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The most disappointing thing this season is Richard's New Internet idea. It makes about as much sense as New Coke.

But other than that, good episode as always. I also expected Erlich to just die in the fire after all the rumors but of course it makes sense that he didn't. I never particularly liked T.J. Miller outside of this show, in interviews or standup stuff, but this would be a big loss even in such an amazingly cast show. I don't really buy explanation that he wants to do more risky stuff like Yogi Bear 4d so maybe that's all just a cover story.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

For a show that's otherwise superb in its accurate depiction of the Silicon Valley lifestyle and culture, the new internet thing falls surprisingly short. There are so many techncial reasons that something like that would never work, yet nobody in the show seems to question its feasibility.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

404notfound posted:

For a show that's otherwise superb in its accurate depiction of the Silicon Valley lifestyle and culture, the new internet thing falls surprisingly short. There are so many techncial reasons that something like that would never work, yet nobody in the show seems to question its feasibility.

First and foremost, data rates.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mobby_6kl posted:

The most disappointing thing this season is Richard's New Internet idea. It makes about as much sense as New Coke.

But other than that, good episode as always. I also expected Erlich to just die in the fire after all the rumors but of course it makes sense that he didn't. I never particularly liked T.J. Miller outside of this show, in interviews or standup stuff, but this would be a big loss even in such an amazingly cast show. I don't really buy explanation that he wants to do more risky stuff like Yogi Bear 4d so maybe that's all just a cover story.

I'm waiting for Season 5 when the NSA inevitably makes a visit to "politely request" the guys put in a custom back door for them in said new internet and Dinesh and Gilfoyle act like prairie dogs the whole time.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

First and foremost, data rates.

The main issue I have with the current storyline is that I feel like places like insurance companies would be the last people to ever sign on. Regardless of how good/cheap your tech is they should've been laughed out of the office the second they said 'we're going to back your data up on a decentralized network of random people's mobile devices'

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There used to be a service where you could share files with the rest of the network in exchange for devoting a chunk of your hard drive to an encrypted portion of the network's files, with no way of knowing what that chunk contained. Guess what kind of files that service was full of.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

roffles posted:

The main issue I have with the current storyline is that I feel like places like insurance companies would be the last people to ever sign on. Regardless of how good/cheap your tech is they should've been laughed out of the office the second they said 'we're going to back your data up on a decentralized network of random people's mobile devices'

Ha, yeah that too.

Also, in less serious issues, battery life. Forget to plug your phone in when you go to bed? lol sucks for you, thousands of people need a few bytes of data

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
:argh:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm waiting for Season 5 when the NSA inevitably makes a visit to "politely request" the guys put in a custom back door for them in said new internet and Dinesh and Gilfoyle act like prairie dogs the whole time.
They could blackmail the illegal immigrant to install the backdoor, even!

404notfound posted:

Yeah, there are a ton of issues with it, which is strange because even if their compression algorithm was theoretically impossible, fundamentally it was a good idea and led to some sensible developments.

But here, my fundamental concern is battery life. Having the device constantly awake to act a distributed storage node will just murder the standby time which isn't a good thing when many people are just happy to have any charge left by the end of the day. You can't really talk your way out of this with any kind of fancy algorithm, the device would have to be available at all times to serve requests. Try seeding a torrent from your phone.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Osmosisch posted:

TJ Miller was on the Nerdist podcast just now and leaving came up of course. His main stated reason was that he's just too busy, and he felt like he needed to give up some of the more safe, comfortable things and focus on more challenging stuff.

Like the emoji movie? 🤔

Pope Guilty posted:

There used to be a service where you could share files with the rest of the network in exchange for devoting a chunk of your hard drive to an encrypted portion of the network's files, with no way of knowing what that chunk contained. Guess what kind of files that service was full of.

linux isos?

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 14, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

roffles posted:

I worked with insurance companies for almost a decade, and this is absolutely true. They do use digital storage for a lot of their stuff, but they have every original signed contract stored somewhere in their archives. I had to get the original contract for a dispute on a 50 year old whole life contract and the company had it sealed and sent to their agent with in 3 weeks. And we had to send it right back after we reimaged it for our review. They don't gently caress around with retention poo poo.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 14, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How massive would the server need to be to manage hundreds of thousands or potentially millions of drives? It's one thing to have a RAID setup for a normal storage server, but space saver has to manage hundreds of thousands of drives that are constantly dropping in and out.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cojawfee posted:

How massive would the server need to be to manage hundreds of thousands or potentially millions of drives? It's one thing to have a RAID setup for a normal storage server, but space saver has to manage hundreds of thousands of drives that are constantly dropping in and out.

"WEISSMAN SCORE, rear end in a top hat! I, super genius Richard Hendricks, have the lowest Weissman Score in history, so I'm smarter than you. I'm a computer SCIENTIST, and I've planned for all eventualities except the ones that totally won't ever present themselves because I only care about making things work theoretically and look down on people who handle *lesser* spaces in the tech world like storage architecture. They're janitors, and I'm a doctor, lawyer, and super hero rolled all into one."

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
These particular insurance guys are trying to make the world a better place by disrupting insurance. It's like Grinder, but for small claims.

E: Grindr?

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 14, 2017

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The insurance industry is long accustomed to talking in money and delivering nothing, so they're a perfect fit with silicon valley.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Merging the insurance your business needs with the social media connection you deserve. Welcome to the future of socially aware, home sourced, artisanal insurance policies. Welcome to Insurero.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Let's also not forget that the biggest problem with his new internet idea is the government. He describes it as outside of government control. Not to be too big state on you guys, but you understand that they'd just squash that like a bug. This means the service becomes illegal if it continues to exist, which works out nicely because it's really best analogous to what Pope Guilty has already mentioned.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nah, the government can't do anything about it because it's on people's phones man! The government can't regulate people's pones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
WELL THEN HERE'S ANOTHER ISSUE!!

You need to store multiple copies of every file, effectively removing the compression benefit. This is to avoid the sentence "Welp, Cingulate uninstalled the app last night, and he had 7 bytes of my data on his phone, so I can never open this Word document again."

• Locked thread