Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Why is it called Stardew Valley?
Because it's about quitting your job so you can Stardewin' stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Driya
Feb 16, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Awhile ago I used CJB Automation which let you hook up a bunch of machines to a single chest, but now I can only find Automate which doesn't seem to be as robust.

This mod functions pretty much the same as CJB Automation did. All my old farms I set up with CJB work fine with this mod running instead

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

What kind of automation? Stuff like watering and harvesting already has in-game automation options.

Sorry, what are the in-game auto-harvesting options?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Froist posted:

There ain't none.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

WarpedNaba posted:

There ain't none.

The huts?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Eeeeh, point. They're not all that good though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

My wife and I have been playing the makeshift multiplayer mod. We made it to Fall 1 so far without any major problems. Several minor issues but multiplayer is fun enough that we don't mind.

If anyone else gives it a try we learned through trial and error that festivals work better if the clients enter the festival zone right behind the player who is hosting the game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Froist posted:

There's a late-game building: the Junimo Hut which will auto-harvest within a set radius.

WarpedNaba posted:

Eeeeh, point. They're not all that good though.

S'what? They require a bit of planning to get good layouts, but the huts are awesome and can easily automate harvesting on even the largest of farms.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Driya posted:

This mod functions pretty much the same as CJB Automation did. All my old farms I set up with CJB work fine with this mod running instead

For some reason I am having trouble getting the site to load. Will check this out when I can.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

MacheteZombie posted:

For some reason I am having trouble getting the site to load. Will check this out when I can.

If it's the one I think it is (farmautomation.itemcollector) then this should be the GitHub for it. Seconding the recommendation because it lets you connect machines with path tiles (wooden path by default but you can change it) which means I can have every available inch of water stuffed with traps and never have to touch any of them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks! works perfectly. Now my super winery can continue operations.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

There's a late-game building: the Junimo Hut which will auto-harvest within a set radius.

Ahhhh. I got most things in the game done, but stopped short of the very end to leave something to aim for with the Switch port. I'm hoping there will be a way of importing my OCD farm to the Switch, but I know the realistic odds of that are close to zero..

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Skippy McPants posted:

They require a bit of planning to get good layouts, but the huts are awesome and can easily automate harvesting on even the largest of farms.
Yeah, they're great. And a total godsend if you're raising a lot of hops, because that's a daily chore nobody wants.

(Just be warned, those lazy little gumdrop bastards won't work if it's raining, so don't just run off to the mines or to do some fishing on wet days and expect the crops to be harvested when you get back.)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
by the time you are using those huts you are so goddamn rich that you are just making money to watch the numbers go up anyway

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

What could late game even be? Even in harvest moon/rune factory you kinda run out of stuff to do once the story dies up or your kid stops aging

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

obviously stardew valley needs to be more like harvest moon and add stuff like 50th year wedding anniversary gifts from your spouse along the lines of a mountain cabin that holds one of the assorted 'secret items' that are hidden throughout the game

please god don't do this

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's a handful of things you could do in terms of late game stuff. animal crossing style town modernization/customization is possible. automation for mineral and material inputs to provide greater resource bases for extended jaunts in the wilderness or the skull cave, ostensibly at the behest of the villagers, is possible. iterative, experimental breeding of plants to create the baddest veggie on the planet is possible. all of these are largely wanks, sure, but the only thing that wouldn't be a wank would probably incorporate jumping the shark pretty hard. as much as i would adore a crazy Innsmouth plot or something else that would require heroic effort on the part of the player it directly violates the game's chill, so you can't just turn up the heat and expect it to work.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Turn your farm into and industry and make the game about the horrors of modernization and industrialization

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

and then compare those horrors to the horrors of having loving pierre own everything and realize the soulless machine is yet preferable to the avarice of boss hogg

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Johnny Joestar posted:

obviously stardew valley needs to be more like harvest moon and add stuff like 50th year wedding anniversary gifts from your spouse along the lines of a mountain cabin that holds one of the assorted 'secret items' that are hidden throughout the game

please god don't do this

have you found the ??HMTGF??

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Uncle Wemus posted:

Turn your farm into and industry and make the game about the horrors of modernization and industrialization

Construct office buildings and hire people to do mind numbingly tedious tasks until you have become the next Joja corporation. Then the cycle begins anew.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm late game but not so late that i can afford everything, so I'm stockpiling in order to get the clock.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

For late game, I'd like to work with the Mayor to improve the town. Maybe help clean the litter off the beach, some infrastructure done, something more than just the Junimos doing magic.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
What should you focus on in the beginning? all I'm doing now is harvesting plants, and going to the mines. Year 1, spring

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Pretty much whatever suits you. Plants make money, and mining lets you get materials to upgrade your equipment at the blacksmith's, which can make you farm (and do everything) more efficiently. Have you visited the community centre yet? It has these bundles you need to complete for rewards, things which either change the map or speed up your progress. Crops and available fish are seasonal, so ideally you want to get all the spring-exclusives while you still can, but it's not a big deal if you have to wait for next year.

Also watch TV first thing every morning, buy the backpack upgrades (from the general store, next to the counter) ASAP, and don't plant any crops that won't pay off by the end of the month, because they all die when summer arrives.

There's a lot of stuff (like what gifts everyone likes) where you should really just consult the wiki.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Sefal posted:

What should you focus on in the beginning? all I'm doing now is harvesting plants, and going to the mines. Year 1, spring

You're so lucky. Hot tip:. Passing out in the mine is better than rushing home.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

You're so lucky. Hot tip:. Passing out in the mine is better than rushing home.

Wait doesnt that make you lose all the poo poo you got?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Uncle Wemus posted:

Wait doesnt that make you lose all the poo poo you got?

Only dying in the mine does. If you just pass out due to it being 2am, you wake up in bed having been charged a maximum of 1000g (it scales based on your money) for the service

It's handy in the Skull Caves to grab those last nodes, especially if you don't have the warp flute from Krobus yet.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
In the ultra late game money should lose all value. The currency of the day is doves.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Awesome, I'm currently saving up for a backpack. I have to catch a rat in the community center but it always leaves when I approach it

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
Whoever said Dragon Quest Builders is a good, similar game was dead-on. It's hitting all the same relaxing, addicting brain chemicals as Stardew for me and now I'm just trying to take enough breaks from playing so my hands don't seize up again.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Sefal posted:

Awesome, I'm currently saving up for a backpack. I have to catch a rat in the community center but it always leaves when I approach it

If you haven't already you need to go talk to the guy in the tower on the west end of the forest that's out the western exit from town. I don't remember any rat catching.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Poque posted:

Only dying in the mine does. If you just pass out due to it being 2am, you wake up in bed having been charged a maximum of 1000g (it scales based on your money) for the service

It's handy in the Skull Caves to grab those last nodes, especially if you don't have the warp flute from Krobus yet.

the actual problem here is that your stamina regain is also hamstrung by passing out, and in spring y1 stamina is at an absolute premium.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

WarpedNaba posted:

For late game, I'd like to work with the Mayor to improve the town. Maybe help clean the litter off the beach, some infrastructure done, something more than just the Junimos doing magic.

hire Shane to watch your animals, give Kent a job ...doing anything other than sending me explosives in the mail. build penny a real house.

realistically the best thing you could do with your ancient fruit wine empire is hiring a therapist for the entire valley, but that may not be as satisfyingly videogamey :v:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

isndl posted:

Construct office buildings and hire people to do mind numbingly tedious tasks until you have become the next Joja corporation. Then the cycle begins anew.

This time you have to quash the ambitions of other upstart magic-farmers in the region, and ultimately merge with or bankrupt Joja. It's a tense moral decision because in Grandpa Joja's eyes you see those of your ghost-grandpa's and, while in a dream cutscene, relieved of your all-consuming thirst for profit, you briefly understand the nature of this cycle and can't help but be reminded of the atrocities you've both committed in the name of corporate progress and universal access to non-seasonal produce.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 14, 2017

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Sefal posted:

I made the mistake of focusing on the mines and then I had nothing to do during winter, so watch out for that.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

gmq posted:

I made the mistake of focusing on the mines and then I had nothing to do during winter, so watch out for that.

You can always use the bottom floors to make money or prep for skull cavern iridium runs. Or farm the dust sprites for the luck ring if you haven't already. Or fish all season.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 14, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Okay so I first beat this game right after it came out, before any patches with the Junimo huts and whatever. What else changed?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Okay so I first beat this game right after it came out, before any patches with the Junimo huts and whatever. What else changed?

A lot of poo poo, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Did you want to gently caress Shane? If so, I have some really great news.