Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

This is nearly twelve hours old. Don't post tweets that old in this thread unless they are super obscure. This tweet has probably been posted 20 times today.

Some of us have actual jobs and can't sit around and read this thread for 10+ hours a day, that's the first time I saw that tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Posting from work crew :cool:

dont tell my boss

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

litany of gulps posted:

Looks like he's east Texas, which is known primarily for being policed by literal highwaymen that prey on minorities. It's not really the cowboy part of Texas, there are no major cities out there, and it's basically an extension of the South and all of the baggage that comes with that. Think Confederate flag waving racists.

East Texas? I almost forgot about this fine [R somehow] fellow.

I googled 'anime texas rep' and yessir, first result. He loves his anime titties. LOOOOVES THEM.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-afghanistan-troops-idUSKBN19431H?il=0

Headline reads:

quote:

Trump gives U.S. military authority to set Afghan troop levels: U.S. official

I'm sure this will definitely work and the Taliban will just vanish!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Fulchrum posted:

Exactly how big was the size of the Labour "victory" compared to the size of Macrons victory in France? Also, why does only one of these two things require quotation marks to be called a victory?

If you want to say that Labour not losing by as much as they thought is something Dems need to notice, why is La Republique En Marche and the Democratic Movement likely capturing more than 3/4ths of the seats in the French parliament something to ignore?

I didn't put quotes on there. Labour got the youth out massively, and flipped seats that have been conservative for 180 years. They went from a election that was supposed to end them to massive gains and a hung parliament running on a far left, even for the UK, manifesto.

I also didn't say to ignore anything.

It sounds like you really want to go have an argument in the Euro thread or something against a bunch of opinions you want me to have.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fulchrum posted:

Exactly how big was the size of the Labour "victory" compared to the size of Macrons victory in France? Also, why does only one of these two things require quotation marks to be called a victory?

If you want to say that Labour not losing by as much as they thought is something Dems need to notice, why is La Republique En Marche and the Democratic Movement likely capturing more than 3/4ths of the seats in the French parliament something to ignore?

It is a "victory" in quotes because while Labor didn't outright win they gained so many seats the Tories had to form an alliance with literal terrorists to maintain their majority in Parliament

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Looks like the Russia sanctions bill (increase sanctions and remove Trump's ability to lift them) is going to have a veto-proof majority, at least in the Senate.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/13/trump-iran-congress-senate-239521

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ogmius815 posted:

This is nearly twelve hours old. Don't post tweets that old in this thread unless they are super obscure. This tweet has probably been posted 20 times today.

Reposts are so much better than, "hey guys why all the posts, what happened while I *insert activity here*"

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

KickerOfMice posted:

East Texas? I almost forgot about this fine [R somehow] fellow.

I googled 'anime texas rep' and yessir, first result. He loves his anime titties. LOOOOVES THEM.

He's Travis county, which is Austin and some rich people/aging hippies living on Lake Travis. He was elected to a local Republican party thing. That area is actually probably the most progressive in the state.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Whoa guys, I just woke up, took a poo poo, ate breakfast, showered, went to work, came home, made dinner, cracked open a beer, and there are 3000 new posts. What happened?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Rigel posted:

Looks like the Russia sanctions bill (increase sanctions and remove Trump's ability to lift them) is going to have a veto-proof majority, at least in the Senate.

How will Putin punish Trump for this insolence.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Rigel posted:

lol, poo poo. So its not just merely Texas, but the worst, most vile part of Texas.

edit: wait, why does anyone live there? Didn't we already establish that everywhere in Texas outside the cities is overrun by hordes of giant carnivorous murderpigs?

Who do you think votes there?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Whoa guys, I just woke up, took a poo poo, ate breakfast, showered, went to work, came home, made dinner, cracked open a beer, and there are 3000 new posts. What happened?

We all died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Sorry, I was too busy with work to come up with a witty response to this, so, um...

Here have a burger :burger:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

What sanctions are they putting on Iran? Will this gently caress up the nuclear deal?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

litany of gulps posted:

He's Travis county, which is Austin and some rich people/aging hippies living on Lake Travis. He was elected to a local Republican party thing. That area is actually probably the most progressive in the state.

I thought that blockhead was from east Texas. Keep Austin weird, but not that weird.

e: haha from the politoon thread

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 14, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Rigel posted:

Whew golly gee whiz glad we've figured out the Russian mess ok no more investigation. - Republicans probably.

Go vote you fuckers.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jaxyon posted:

I didn't put quotes on there. Labour got the youth out massively, and flipped seats that have been conservative for 180 years. They went from a election that was supposed to end them to massive gains and a hung parliament running on a far left, even for the UK, manifesto.

I also didn't say to ignore anything.

It sounds like you really want to go have an argument in the Euro thread or something against a bunch of opinions you want me to have.
You still can't describe getting less seats than the opposition as a victory without the sort of qualifications that necessitate using quotation marks.

Also, the parliament is going to be run by the Tories and the bottom feeding crazies. Where are you getting it being run by a far left manifesto?

Filthy Hans posted:

It is a "victory" in quotes because while Labor didn't outright win they gained so many seats the Tories had to form an alliance with literal terrorists to maintain their majority in Parliament

The GOP also had to do that over the last 9 years and we don't consider that any kind of victory for Dems.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ralepozozaxe posted:

How will Putin punish Trump for this insolence.

Idunno but it's going to be exciting I hope! XD

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ReidRansom posted:

Idunno but it's going to be exciting I hope! XD

Maybe it'll even be... Golden.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

litany of gulps posted:

He also got removed because he tried to run for President against Trump. Can't be a local party chair and run for President. Though at that point the local party was trying anything they could to remove him.

Morrow is quite the character and only won, because James Dickey (the previous and current chair) wouldn't support Trump early on. We also have an open primary, so there may have been a few trolls voting for the unhinged, anime titty lover as well.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Fulchrum posted:

The GOP also had to do that over the last 9 years and we don't consider that any kind of victory for Dems.

The vast majority of British people, if they've heard of the DUP, hate them though, and they're legit a distinct party from the Tories. That's a big difference. I've learned from posting in the UK thread that there aren't as many 1:1 comparisons between their politics and American as a lot of people imply.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 14, 2017

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

:trumppop:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Mustached Demon posted:

"You will make me a second tape, this time with #2."

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Sephyr posted:

As a foreigner, I have to ask: Is anyone here from Louie Gohmert's district or knows it well? What kind of place elects and re-elects someone so consistently dumb and vile?
In places like this, winning is pretty much about keeping a firm grip on the local party machinery to prevent yourself from being taken out by a primary challenger from within your own party. Because of the six year terms for senators and the four year terms for the governor, with the gubernatorial elections happening in midterm years, he never has to run as the top person on the ticket, there is always either a state-wide or national race on which they can piggyback. For reference, here is who else was on the ticket while he's been running:

2004: George W. Bush for President.
2006: Kay Bailey Hutchinson for Senate and Rick Perry for Governor.
2008: John McCain for President and John Cornyn for Senate.
2010: Rick Perry for Governor.
2012: Mitt Romney for President, Ted Cruz for Senate, and Rick Perry for Governor.
2014: John Cornyn for Senate and Greg Abbott for Governor.
2016: Donald Trump for President.

Unless he somehow pisses off the party elites back home, he's got a spot there for as long as he wants it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

This emote makes even more sense if you think it's him watching two hookers piss on each other.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Fulchrum posted:

You still can't describe getting less seats than the opposition as a victory without the sort of qualifications that necessitate using quotation marks.

Also, the parliament is going to be run by the Tories and the bottom feeding crazies. Where are you getting it being run by a far left manifesto?

It's a victory because they went from losing seats to gaining a bunch. If your definition is control of parliament, they sure didn't get that. But are in a good position to next election.

They ran on a far left manifesto to make those gains. Not a centrist one.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Azathoth posted:

In places like this, winning is pretty much about keeping a firm grip on the local party machinery to prevent yourself from being taken out by a primary challenger from within your own party. Because of the six year terms for senators and the four year terms for the governor, with the gubernatorial elections happening in midterm years, he never has to run as the top person on the ticket, there is always either a state-wide or national race on which they can piggyback. For reference, here is who else was on the ticket while he's been running:

2004: George W. Bush for President.
2006: Kay Bailey Hutchinson for Senate and Rick Perry for Governor.
2008: John McCain for President and John Cornyn for Senate.
2010: Rick Perry for Governor.
2012: Mitt Romney for President, Ted Cruz for Senate, and Rick Perry for Governor.
2014: John Cornyn for Senate and Greg Abbott for Governor.
2016: Donald Trump for President.

Unless he somehow pisses off the party elites back home, he's got a spot there for as long as he wants it.

Also stats for his district:

Population: 715,761
Median income: $41,834

Ethnicity
60.4% White
18.0% Black
1.1% Asian
17.1% Hispanic
0.23% Native American
3.19% other

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Azathoth posted:

See, as a fellow lazy person, there's a simpleness to this that I kind of respect. I would love a job where I could drop any pretense of knowing what I'm talking about, and just be a literal retard forever. Where can I just slide into some district and be a progressive Louie Go-Mert?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

See, as a fellow lazy person, there's a simpleness to this that I kind of respect. I would love a job where I could drop any pretense of knowing what I'm talking about, and just be a literal retard forever. Where can I just slide into some district and be a progressive Louie Go-Mert?

Check out district maps of various purple states and find the goofiest looking one.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Does this remind anyone else of a demented relative who inappropriately curses out the family pet or a small child.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

It doesn't work on the left because it only works on evil and stupid people in evil and stupid places.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Dmitri-9 posted:

Does this remind anyone else of a demented relative who inappropriately curses out the family pet or a small child.

not really because the bill is a mean son of a bitch

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/874779188301090816

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Yeah that's a spot on phonetic pronunciation. If I may paraphrase the venerable tv show 'parks and rec':

"They tolerate slash ignore me, which for an American politician is pretty much the best we can get!"

go-murt maybe?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

he has to work with those people for another 18/42 months!
is he going to publicly support the senate version??? is he going to whip for it ?????

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Only the most basic sense of pattern recognition could've ever told them Trump was untrustworthy! How could they be expected to have that?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Some of them might become Concerned. Maybe Deeply Concerned, even.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Did Trump really gently caress over Rs in congress that blatantly? Calling it poo poo publicly after convincing them to go vote for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Every time I see Louie Gohmert I think of Mickey Kaus in Idiocracy, and every time I see Kaus in Idiocracy I think of Gohmert.

• Locked thread