Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm trying to find an old british tv documentary about the holocaust where the presenter was scooping up water from a pond at a concentration camp and talking about how the ashes of his relatives had likely dissolved there. It was in colour and probably from the 70s or 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
What's that sci-fi film from a few years ago where there are a bunch of kids at a party and all of them get time-displaced duplicates created of themselves

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Jenny Angel posted:

What's that sci-fi film from a few years ago where there are a bunch of kids at a party and all of them get time-displaced duplicates created of themselves

Project Almanac?

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

Jenny Angel posted:

+1

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

That's the one, thank you

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm trying to find an old british tv documentary about the holocaust where the presenter was scooping up water from a pond at a concentration camp and talking about how the ashes of his relatives had likely dissolved there. It was in colour and probably from the 70s or 80s.

The Ascent of Man, one of the best documentary series I've watched. It's not about just the Holocaust, it has a similar structure to the later Cosmos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltjI3BXKBgY

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

MeLKoR posted:

The Ascent of Man, one of the best documentary series I've watched. It's not about just the Holocaust, it has a similar structure to the later Cosmos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltjI3BXKBgY
Fantastic mate, cheers. :)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A black and white film about gods creating existence that's basically a non-stop scene of people super bloodily eating each other over and over again.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Probably Begotten http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101420/

Starring Brian Salzberg as "God Killing Himself"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

A black and white film about gods creating existence that's basically a non-stop scene of people super bloodily eating each other over and over again.

Begotten

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Thanks!

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

There was a comedy film I saw ages ago (back in the late 90s, early 2000s, though I think the film was older than that, maybe 70s or 80s?) with my dad which we found hilarious but we have no idea what it's called and I can't for the life of me find it anywhere. I think it was to do with spies during the cold war and possibly something about a proxy war in not-Iraq/not-Cuba, maybe? Unfortunately, my memories of it are really fuzzy now but I do really clearly remember one scene:

The heroes(?) land on a seemingly deserted tropical island (I think in the Caribbean) and find, bizarrely, a hotel just standing on it. When they go inside they find a whole load of people with suspiciously thick Russian accents 'staying' at the hotel. When the heroes ask for a room they say they're full. They then go from the lobby to the dining room and, while walking, you can hear in the background all the Russians running to the dining room to take their places, then they go to a third room and the same happens again. If I remember correctly (and in case it isn't obvious) the hotel turns out to be some sort of secret listening post and/or missile base.

I think there was also a scene where a bunch of soldiers say they'll die for their country before being shot and falling into a pool.

Sorry this is all so vague but I saw it when I was much younger. I do recall it being incredibly funny at the time (though I was a kid, so what did I know).

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Perhaps Woody Allen's Bananas?

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Just saw the trailer, it looks pretty funny, but I don't think that's it, thanks for the shout though. :shobon:

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
There was a trailer for an indie film I saw a couple of years ago in a youtube channel I no longer can find. The channel's logo was a hipster moustache over a bright neon/magenta background.

The movie was about a woman with intimacy issues who was married to a guy who worked at a supermarket. The woman was in charge of the security cameras, and worked along a security guard that also was a fireman who had lost a hand. Her husband was cheating on her with a supermarket employee (who for some reason reminded me of Anna Kendrick, but it's not her, according to Google).

The film seemed like the kind of weird off-beat thing I like, so if anyone has any idea what it's named I'd be grateful for any leads.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Not necessarily a movie, but my sister told me she remembers a segment of something on PBS sometime in the mid to late 1970s when she was a kid involving a marionette dancing to The Beatles' "Norwegian Wood." She said the marionette looked like Mr. Magoo of all things, and it definitely wasn't from a show, but was probably shown in-between shows as filler, or perhaps was part of a telethon/pledge drive. She's fairly certain it was also the master recording of the song, too, and not a cover or sound-alike or anything like that.

Googling turns up nothing, but I still think it's from an educational show of the time.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 8, 2017

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Fairly recently (2012 at the earliest) there was a documentary/art film about human use of water, lots of very expensive cameras pointed at for eg step-wells, the belaggio fountain, a drying out river bed, an housing development with an squiggly lake so every house is by the water. Opened w/ a shot of one of those chinese dams venting a tremendous amount of water. Released as an coffee table book at the same time.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Fairly recently (2012 at the earliest) there was a documentary/art film about human use of water, lots of very expensive cameras pointed at for eg step-wells, the belaggio fountain, a drying out river bed, an housing development with an squiggly lake so every house is by the water. Opened w/ a shot of one of those chinese dams venting a tremendous amount of water. Released as an coffee table book at the same time.

Watermark.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Hopefully someone knows this movie, because Google is failing me.

I am 99% sure it was a Japanese movie, though I guess it maaaaybe could have been Korean. It was about two rival/dueling assassins, or maybe hitmen. They wear American president masks at one point. Someone soaks cigarettes in water so they can extract the nicotine and inject it into someone. They have a discussion about Metal Slug and where to find the secret weapons.

What the hell is this movie called? It is at least a decade old.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I believe that may be Fulltime Killer, but I'm not completely sure if I'm mixing that up with a different one. I remember the nicotine scene more than anything else.

e: nope, has to be Fulltime Killer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvOa5Bff-EQ

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 9, 2017

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
That's it!!!! Thanks

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I've had the line "You don't need a doctor, you need a priest!" in my head the last couple of days and I can't remember where I heard it. I'm guessing it was a movie (not Sleepers), and probably a comedy. In my head, I can hear somebody like Rodney Dangerfield saying it.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

SkunkDuster posted:

I've had the line "You don't need a doctor, you need a priest!" in my head the last couple of days and I can't remember where I heard it. I'm guessing it was a movie (not Sleepers), and probably a comedy. In my head, I can hear somebody like Rodney Dangerfield saying it.

Apparently it was said in Brisco County Jr. It's probably been said in a bunch of things though.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Afraid that's not it. I'm not even sure if that is the exact quote. It was something along the lines of "You don't need a _____, You need a _______"

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is it the Seinfeld episode where the car smells like b.o. and Jerry says "you need a priest to get rid of this thing"? I know it doesn't fit the template, but you never know.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I remember seeing this movie on a plane flight to China a a decade or two ago. Can't remember the language. the plot was an action comedy thing were a dweeby piano teacher inadvertently foils an assassination plot on a local mob boss and gains a reputation as secretly being said boss' legendary hitman who's shadow hand technique killed like 40 people in one night or something.

I remember a scene where one of his teenage daughters classmates wants to learn said legendary technique from him and he deflects it into a piano lesson. There was a line like "playing piano is the first step since the black and white keys represent the duality of the shadows"

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

SkunkDuster posted:

Afraid that's not it. I'm not even sure if that is the exact quote. It was something along the lines of "You don't need a _____, You need a _______"

Isn't that in the Ghostbusters remake?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Sorry if the details for this are too scant, they may be
My father was telling me about a great French film about/involving world war 2 collaborators, but he couldn't name it. Tried googling for French films about WW2 collaboration but I just got a doc

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Army of Shadows is about the resistance, but as with any film about the subject, there are collaborators/traitors involved. I haven't seen it, but Malle's Lacombe, Lucien has a main character that is a collaborator.

There are some more suggestions on this page for you to peruse if neither of those are it, not all French, though.
http://www.cliomuse.com/french-resistance-and-collaboration-in-world-war-ii-selected-movies.html

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
There was a movie in the 80s where the driver or a crew member on an ambulance was a zombie or freaky weird type guy.

For the longest time, I assumed this was Cannonball Run, but looking at the pictures, it definitely wasn't Jack Elam.

Any ideas?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Red posted:

There was a movie in the 80s where the driver or a crew member on an ambulance was a zombie or freaky weird type guy.

For the longest time, I assumed this was Cannonball Run, but looking at the pictures, it definitely wasn't Jack Elam.

Any ideas?

At the very end of Twilight Zone: The Movie, John Lithgow gets loaded into an ambulance driven by Dan Aykroyd, who earlier showed himself to be a freaky weird type guy in the movie's opening gag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETC6NSxpFFE

He's obviously not in an ambulance here, but he is at the very end.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
It's a great ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlVjdyfJIWs

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sir Nose posted:

At the very end of Twilight Zone: The Movie, John Lithgow gets loaded into an ambulance driven by Dan Aykroyd, who earlier showed himself to be a freaky weird type guy in the movie's opening gag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETC6NSxpFFE

He's obviously not in an ambulance here, but he is at the very end.

Nope, not Twilight Zone. :\

The ambulance driver I'm thinking of resembled Christopher Lloyd.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Zogo posted:

I remember seeing a film about a girl or girls who had psychic ability/psychokinesis or were witches. One of the girls had darker hair and they were in high school I believe. I think there was some hallucination scene in a lunch room at some point.

Other details:

I saw part of the movie on VHS ~1995. It was rented so it couldn't have been really obscure. From the look of the film it had to be from 1975-1979 I'm guessing. But it could've been early 70s I suppose. Also, I'm pretty sure it was rated R.

PS not Carrie.

Quoting myself to say I finally figured out what this was:

The Fury (1978)
:discourse:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Just wanted to say that this is a really fun thread to browse through to find movies I want to watch. The descriptions of half-remembered fragments make some of these films sound so compelling. Definitely adding Heaven Can Wait and Bad Day at Black Rock (from back around page 200) to my Netflix queue when I get off work.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 16, 2017

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Red posted:

Nope, not Twilight Zone. :\

The ambulance driver I'm thinking of resembled Christopher Lloyd.

You're not thinking of the "send more paramedics" / "send more cops" scenes from Return of the Living Dead, are you?

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
The end of The 'Burbs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPO1EQmj05I

Driver appears at 2min, but the you could also be thinking of the main guy who is all through the scene.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Zogo posted:

Quoting myself to say I finally figured out what this was:

The Fury (1978)
:discourse:

oh! I'd have never have got that from your description!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Red posted:

Zombie ambulance mans

I didn't want to waste a post asking if you're somehow thinking of the taxi scene in Ghostbusters, so did some vague googling and if nothing else I now want to see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2NEGywTGF4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

You're not thinking of the "send more paramedics" / "send more cops" scenes from Return of the Living Dead, are you?

Nope, I know that flick pretty well. The movie I'm thinking of featured the zombie-ish ambulance driver as a main character type, friend to the lead.

ChrisXP posted:

The end of The 'Burbs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPO1EQmj05I

Driver appears at 2min, but the you could also be thinking of the main guy who is all through the scene.

Nope, but 'Burbs is one of my favorites. Good thinking, though.

Chop Sunni posted:

I didn't want to waste a post asking if you're somehow thinking of the taxi scene in Ghostbusters, so did some vague googling and if nothing else I now want to see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2NEGywTGF4

Never saw that one, though Cosby makes me a little... eh. :(

I might have to accept that it's Jack Elam after all, and my memory has just colored him.