Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hammer Bro. posted:

I made one or two effortposts about it earlier in the thread but I have no idea how to search them up. Is there a way for a user to see their own posting history?

I enjoyed the heck out of the game but it stops getting harder after you've beaten the boss seven or so times.

Click the ? on the bottom left of your post rectangle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zerilan posted:

And not on the Switch while MH has been almost solely on Nintendo systems outside of Japan since 2010.

The 3DS only got one mainline title with 4 and instead got revisions/spin-offs. Word is that Monster Hunter: World is the new flagship and is basically Monster Hunter 5, so it's the mainline of games with XX being just a spin off anyway. Pretty lovely they're not bringing XX over though for those that aren't able to get their fix with MH:W.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Libelous Monster Hunter posts? in this thread? This is not Nintendo at all. Very nUntendo if you ask me.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Death By Yogurt posted:

you can kick the ox to make it go faster

This probably would have saved me 4 non consecutive hours

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

The 3DS only got one mainline title with 4 and instead got revisions/spin-offs. Word is that Monster Hunter: World is the new flagship and is basically Monster Hunter 5, so it's the mainline of games with XX being just a spin off anyway. Pretty lovely they're not bringing XX over though for those that aren't able to get their fix with MH:W.

Tri and 3U were only on the Wii and Wii U respectively here.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I'm concerned about Metroid Prime 4 being a new first party studio since Retro has been solid for so long and changes like that makes me afraid for game quality. I also hope a Hunters style multi player is made for Prime, although maybe Federation Force ruined that ever happening now.

Guess Retro is making DKC or something new??

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zerilan posted:

Tri and 3U were only on the Wii and Wii U respectively here.

Oh that's true, didn't even think about the console stuff.

I'm glad Monster Hunter is actually hitting the next get and not using PS2 graphics at this point.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I'm concerned about Metroid Prime 4 being a new first party studio since Retro has been solid for so long and changes like that makes me afraid for game quality.

They did make Prime 2 and that's terrible tho.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

Oh that's true, didn't even think about the console stuff.

I'm glad Monster Hunter is actually hitting the next get and not using PS2 graphics at this point.

Same

s.i.r.e. posted:

They did make Prime 2 and that's terrible tho.

What the gently caress is going on today with these people

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I'm concerned about Metroid Prime 4 being a new first party studio since Retro has been solid for so long and changes like that makes me afraid for game quality. I also hope a Hunters style multi player is made for Prime, although maybe Federation Force ruined that ever happening now.

New, they are not working on another DKC.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I would kill for an amiibo of this

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Retro was a new first party studio when they made metroid prime

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Really if MHW is actually supposed to be the future of the series that's all the more reason to bring over the final game of the older style. Especially when XX has like a 25% bigger roster of monsters than Generations and the G-rank "endgame" Gen doesn't have.

But also I doubt there isn't also going to be an MH5 on the switch in a few years in Japan anyway because I can't imagine them completely moving away from portable systems so this is basically a spinoff in the same vein that Frontier is most likely.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Lemming posted:

First 4 figures gas a giant 1/4th scale statue of that if you got 350 bucks to blow

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

C-SPAN Caller posted:

First 4 figures gas a giant 1/4th scale statue of that if you got 350 bucks to blow

I'd kill to spend $15 on a shittier, smaller one I could use in video games apparently

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

Same, Prime 2 had great suits but the gameplay was trash.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Lemming posted:

I'd kill to spend $15 on a shittier, smaller one I could use in video games apparently

Yes but wouldn't you rather crush your shelves

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Tropical freeze undersold so now they're an asset farm for other games :twisted:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Motto posted:

Tropical freeze undersold so now they're an asset farm for other games :twisted:

Every Wii u game undersold lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Zerilan posted:

And not on the Switch while MH has been almost solely on Nintendo systems outside of Japan since 2010.

Get a pc my friend. It's gonna rule.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Capcom just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an rear end in a top hat. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. 

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Monster Hunter World for any system, nor will they purchase any of Capcom's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Capcom has alienated an entire market with this move.

Capcom, publicly apologize and cancel Monster Hunter World for PS4/XB1/PC or you can kiss your business goodbye

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Capcom just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an rear end in a top hat. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. 

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Monster Hunter World for any system, nor will they purchase any of Capcom's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Capcom has alienated an entire market with this move.

Capcom, publicly apologize and cancel Monster Hunter World for PS4/XB1/PC or you can kiss your business goodbye

The hottest meme straight from neogaf.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Wasn't MH popularity in Japan based partly around it's mobility? I really don't know if MHW will do amazingly since its western presence its highly niche and mostly Nintendo users and most japanese wont have the time to play at home and will just play XX.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The hottest meme straight from neogaf.

It is? I thought it was originally from SA. Didn't fragmaster do a video of it?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
If Souls/Bloodborne can sell big, so can MH if they do it right, which they won't.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ventana posted:

Pages ago about XC2, but the guy switched to the girl healer and used her in combat too, not just a field thing.

They kept talking about how the blades are customizable and such, so maybe you can eventually get different people to switch in? Or you could just switch party members around. But yeah it's kinda obnoxious.

Yeah, in the gameplay demonstration they had another weapon the main guy could swap to with a different character personification. And each party member has their own, as well. They also fought an enemy that had his own sword-avatar. It's not a bad mechanic in terms of gameplay, basically you swap between weapons that charge up supermoves separate from the characters attacks. Just annoying how cheesecakey the main girl is.

Also in terms of general aesthetic, combat looks super cluttered when every party member has an avatar standing next to them shouting encouragement and channeling energy beams.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

So let me get this straight.

MonHun XX is for the 3DS/Switch - but ONLY IN JAPAN.
MonHun World is for the west - but ONLY FOR PS4/XBONE.

And to top it off, MonHun World is the next installment?

I remember that one rumor about Sony paying top yen to make a MonHun sequel exclusive to the PS4 for the Japanese market, but that doesn't make sense either. Why pander to westerners then?

What are you doing, Capcom?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Was there any news on that app that lets you stream games from a PC to switch?

E: Rainway it's called, any news?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 14, 2017

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Wasn't MH popularity in Japan based partly around it's mobility? I really don't know if MHW will do amazingly since its western presence its highly niche and mostly Nintendo users and most japanese wont have the time to play at home and will just play XX.

If the decision to greenlight a AAA open world Mosnter Hunter game for the PS4 in 2013-2014, then it would've been made in a market where the Wii U had failed, the 3DS had limited growth, and the PS4 looked to be a huge success. At the time, the Switch's final specs were likely in flux and Nintendo was coming off the failure of the Wii U. It that context it would be reasonable to go for a breakout hit overseas rather than double down on a shrinking domestic market.

Of course, the reality of the situation is that the PS4 has had middling success in Japan, the Switch is sold out worldwide, and Capcom's Monster Hunter World will be competing against 10 different AAA co-op open world games by publishers with way more money than them.

It's why we love Capcom.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'll hold out hope that they are holding off on localizing MHXX for whatever dumb reason and the community manager isn't going to risk his job by officially announcing it's coming.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I have some issues with what they showed of Return of Samus. They seemed to have a bunch of things from Prime and Other M without much regard for how that might affect the smooth and fast gameplay of 2D Metroid. The cinematic finishers and melee counters are pretty unnecessary, as are the cutscenes that have the camera slowly panning toward an important object. It's a 2D side-scroller, you don't need to stop the player to call attention to something important. The scan pulse is a dumb feature that just takes away from the mystery of exploration. It doesn't even cost much to use and it shows way too much detail.

AM2R will probably end up being the better remake.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
my issue is that 3d in 240p will never ever look better than 2d spritework, and this game just looks ugly, bland, and not something I want to spend extended periods of time staring at

but yeah after seeing the extended overview I agree on all your points

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Sunning posted:

If the decision to greenlight a AAA open world Mosnter Hunter game for the PS4 in 2013-2014, then it would've been made in a market where the Wii U had failed, the 3DS had limited growth, and the PS4 looked to be a huge success. At the time, the Switch's final specs were likely in flux and Nintendo was coming off the failure of the Wii U. It that context it would be reasonable to go for a breakout hit overseas rather than double down on a shrinking domestic market.

Of course, the reality of the situation is that the PS4 has had middling success in Japan, the Switch is sold out worldwide, and Capcom's Monster Hunter World will be competing against 10 different AAA co-op open world games by publishers with way more money than them.

It's why we love Capcom.

I guess that's fair, with Xbone/PS4/PC being a bigger deal outside Japan it'd be a strategic move not to bring out MHXX so folks wind up forced into MHW if they want a new one. Whether MHW winds up being the sequel people actually want is anybody's guess at this point.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Super Metroid basically already had the scan pulse though

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I wouldn't read too much into that tweet. He probably means there's just no release date/window for announcing yet. Monster Hunter has sold pretty well in the US since 4 and is only increasing, so there's no good reason to not translate the Switch one.

If I was a little more cynical, I'd suspect he carefully worded that tweet to sell more JP copies to English speakers thinking there'll never be another way to play it.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Japan is still getting XX and there are enough PS4s everywhere that Capcom probably feels justified in their focus in the west.

It's kinda like when the PSP never got Portable 3rd in the west, but we did get Tri on the Wii.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

If you think the scan pulse shows too much, don't use it? It's not hard, man. :shrug:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

C-SPAN Caller posted:

It'll still have Kensuke Tanabe as producer, and the team will likely have a bunch of other devs just shifted around from other teams so not likely entirely new guys.

I uh don't think any dev time should be wasted on multiplayer again though. They need to focus on a robust single player.

Tender Bender posted:

Also in terms of general aesthetic, combat looks super cluttered when every party member has an avatar standing next to them shouting encouragement and channeling energy beams.

I thought it looked a bit more normal than XCX was, but yeah the lines connecting between the 6 party members makes things kinda confusing.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Augus posted:

I have some issues with what they showed of Return of Samus. They seemed to have a bunch of things from Prime and Other M without much regard for how that might affect the smooth and fast gameplay of 2D Metroid. The cinematic finishers and melee counters are pretty unnecessary, as are the cutscenes that have the camera slowly panning toward an important object. It's a 2D side-scroller, you don't need to stop the player to call attention to something important. The scan pulse is a dumb feature that just takes away from the mystery of exploration. It doesn't even cost much to use and it shows way too much detail.

AM2R will probably end up being the better remake.

My only worry is if the boss fights rely on the counter. The counter seems like it'd be great for traversal since it's another options to keep things going, but if the boss fights are "wait out the sequence then counter to do massive damage" then that'd be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Melee counter looks good for traversal for sure and combat has never been Metroid's strong suit in any title so I'm interested in a shakeup.

• Locked thread