Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

silvergoose posted:

There aren't any at 20 bucks. Some reasonable choices at 40, but 20 you should be looking for bourbons, ryes, etc. Also, try this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441478 :)

I'm assuming OP means a single malt but you can get tasty blended stuff in the $20-30 range . Famous Grouse is fine for the price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

goferchan posted:

I'm assuming OP means a single malt but you can get tasty blended stuff in the $20-30 range . Famous Grouse is fine for the price

True, I guess I was assuming the same. Still, it's a good thread.

Also, drink scotch neat or with a touch of water, is the usual advice, but ice is fine too if you like your liquor diluted. And there's always the ol rob roy.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Scotch and ginger ale.

Don't judge me. And obviously not if you're trying to find out whether you like scotch or not.

I'm probably going to try a Blood and Sand Friday. Any recommendations for the scotch if I didn't like Laphroaig 10 straight for being too one note?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Scotch and ginger ale.

Don't judge me. And obviously not if you're trying to find out whether you like scotch or not.

I'm probably going to try a Blood and Sand Friday. Any recommendations for the scotch if I didn't like Laphroaig 10 straight for being too one note?

Do a mix of blended scotch and islay. Like 3:1 -- I once again second my recommendation for the humble Famous Grouse. That's what I go with for Rob Roys/Bobby Burns/Penicillins too generally

goferchan fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 1, 2017

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
Definitely drink your scotch with a small splash of water. It reduces the alcohol 'burn' slightly and opens up the flavours, giving you a better appreciation of the complex notes. It's also how you'd be served in a Scottish distillery/restaurant/nice pub.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Scotch and ginger ale.

Ah, the Richard Nixon special.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It was actually put in the Esquire cocktail book as a "Presbyterian." Elsewhere I've seen a Presbyterian be half ginger ale and half club soda with scotch. The muskiness works well with the ginger ale, but I've only tried it with cheap blends. That makes me wonder what it would be like with something peaty.

It would be a waste to put Johnny Walker Blue in ginger ale, but then again it's a waste to buy Johnny Walker Blue.

I'm going to a bar for the Blood and Sand, so I would rather just pick one whiskey for it. I was thinking something like Highland Park or Bowmore, those are supposed to be somewhat but not overwhelmingly peaty, right?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
certainly, his choice of mixing spirits was not the worst mistake richard milhaus nixon ever made

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Black Grouse is a very good beginner Scotch. Mixes well and is also pleasant enough to have neat if you like.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
After making Last Word and Final Wards for a little bit I decided to branch out. I looked up variations and found the below:

Fernetaboutit
.75oz Fernet-Branca
.75oz Green Chartreuse
.75oz Maraschino
.75oz Lime Juice

I don't have any limes on hand so I used lemon instead and it's really good. Final Ward is still my favorite take on it but this is good for a variation. Next time I have some limes I'll try it again the right way.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
That reminds me: any amaro suggestions for the mostly uninitiated? First one I tried was Campari, and I found it overwhelmingly bitter in the cocktails I tried making with it. At the suggestion of someone here I tried Aperol next, and that went down a lot better; not an instant favorite, but the Contessa is a pretty nice cocktail.

I get the impression that Fernet-Branca is more bitter than I want to tangle with at this point. I feel like I see Averna and Cynar show up in cocktails pretty often. Is there another versatile amaro I should consider?

Unrelated, what cognac does everyone like for a Vieux Carré and/or a Sidecar?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Cynar, Averna, and Montenegro are all gonna be relatively easy to find & between the three of them you'll have a diverse set of flavors to play around with.

As for Campari, I used to hate it, but well, your first time is always gonna be a little rough...

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The Blood & Sand is a Bad Cocktail that survives because it looks decent on paper. If you are going to try one though, use PDT's recipe:

* 1.5 oz Famous Grouse blended Scotch whisky
* 0.75 oz orange juice
* 0.5 oz Cherry Heering
* 0.5 oz Carpano Antica sweet vermouth

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

The Blood & Sand is a Bad Cocktail that survives because it looks decent on paper.

Can you elaborate on this, please? I am very fond of the cocktail, using Laphroaig 10.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

Can you elaborate on this, please? I am very fond of the cocktail, using Laphroaig 10.

It's a very bland cocktail. Sweet (heering) on sweet (most Blood orange juice) on sweet (sweet vermouth) on sweet-or-maybe-smokey, depending on the scotch you choose. I've polled dozens of people, industry and otherwise, about the drink and have got a resounding 'meh' from almost everyone. It's a set of ingredients that are interesting individually that come together and just get lost.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

To whoever was asking about campari alternatives earlier btw, i've really really been liking Cappaletti lately . Super easy drinking with a nice smooth vanilla finish.... a bar nearby uses it in a Jungle Bird and it's wonderful. It's a wine based amaro, so keep that in mind trying to track it down if you live somewhere like where I live & beer/wine get sold in separate stores from spirits . Any nice specialty wine store that also carries vermouths/bitters/etc will hopefully stick it

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Been making a left hand last couple weekends and hot drat are they fantastic!

1.5oz bourbon (Basil Hayden's)
.75oz Campari
.75oz Sweet Vermouth (Antica Formula)
Few shakes of Aztec Chocolate Bitters
Luxardo cherry garnish

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Manhattans got me into cocktails. Negronis and boulevardiers (once I forced myself to like Campari) blew my mind. The left hand cocktail totally changed the way I see cocktails. I have a big soft spot for that drink, it's incredible.

It's great with a full bodied reposado tequila too - try it with a splash of coffee liqueur (st George's Nola is my choice there).

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

goferchan posted:

To whoever was asking about campari alternatives earlier btw, i've really really been liking Cappaletti lately . Super easy drinking with a nice smooth vanilla finish.... a bar nearby uses it in a Jungle Bird and it's wonderful. It's a wine based amaro, so keep that in mind trying to track it down if you live somewhere like where I live & beer/wine get sold in separate stores from spirits . Any nice specialty wine store that also carries vermouths/bitters/etc will hopefully stick it

I am going to have to track some of that down. Something I like when Campari is too bitter is the Grand Poppy liqueur. It can also be overwhelming, but it's fantastic.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

There's a company called Climb Cider in Loveland, Colorado that makes an elderflower cider. I just made a French 75-ish thing with cider, gin, lemon, but no sugar since it's cider. Pretty good, although I feel like it could use something. You could probably make something similar with gin, a touch of St. Germaine's, gin, and lemon. Maybe it doesn't even need lemon?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Someone try this and report back, please
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWWQejgyfDM

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
*me making dinner 2 hours ago*

Wife: What cocktails can you make with watermelon?

Me: Well, uh...

*me being asked to make a tiki drink an hour ago*

Me: No pineapple, no grenadine, no falernum, no Heering, no Benedictine, no loving rum, no gin...at least we've got Campari...

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

We got nominated for Best American Cocktail Bar and, more amazingly, Best American Bar Team for the tales of the cocktail awards this year. We're all still processing it TBQH but god drat

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
That's rad as hell. Congratulations!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

We got nominated for Best American Cocktail Bar and, more amazingly, Best American Bar Team for the tales of the cocktail awards this year. We're all still processing it TBQH but god drat

God drat dude, congrats . Looking forward to making it out there sometime; hopefully gonna be visiting my buddy in Annandale this summer

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Where do you work, Fart Car?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Columbia Room in D.C.?

Edit: Holy poo poo that tasting menu looks rad!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

angor posted:

Columbia Room in D.C.?

Ya

The "Team" page on our website is really out of date though lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

lol what's "trash cordial"? the name is great

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's the Tenafly Viper from Street Trash.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

goferchan posted:

Distilled GBS posts.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

angor posted:

Columbia Room in D.C.?

Edit: Holy poo poo that tasting menu looks rad!

Oh poo poo! I'm in DC for a conference in a few weeks and you're right across the road from the conference centre! Definitely paying a visit.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

goferchan posted:

Washington City Paper posted:

The so-called trash cordial is a potion made from garnish trimmings like citrus husks and mint stems.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Also, since sherry is all over the place in cocktails right now, what are some good brands?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was at the bar of an upscale restaurant last weekend and the gentleman next to me ordered a Manhattan. I think the Toronto is more interesting and it's certainly something most people have never had, so I asked him if he liked Fernet.

He said he loved it, even referring to it as an Italian amaro, but he insisted on pronouncing it fer-NEIGH. As in, I gently tried to correct him and he "corrected" back at me.

He had a "friend" show up later, an attractive woman who was too tall for him, and all I could think was what a loving poser he was. I'm still irrationally upset at the whole situation.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 14, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's cherry season, so I'm looking forward to bottling my own marasheenos this summer.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Josh Lyman posted:

I was at the bar of an upscale restaurant last weekend and the gentleman next to me ordered a Manhattan. I think the Toronto is more interesting and it's certainly something most people have never had, so I asked him if he liked Fernet.

He said he loved it, even referring to it as an Italian amaro, but he insisted on pronouncing it fer-NEIGH. As in, I gently tried to correct him and he "corrected" back at me.

He had a "friend" show up later, an attractive woman who was too tall for him, and all I could think was what a loving poser he was. I'm still irrationally upset at the whole situation.

Quote your source.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Josh Lyman posted:

dogg I get it but you're the one who tried to get a stranger to order a different drink because you think yours is better, and then got mad because he didn't know how to say the name of the cool thing in the drink. you're the poser. it's you.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

It's cherry season, so I'm looking forward to bottling my own marasheenos this summer.

Absolutely, there's nothing I love more in a manhattan than a homemade maraskinoo cherry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I tried to order a Bramble but they didn't have blackberry liqueur, only strawberry.

It was still really good.