Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Vib Rib posted:

It looks like they're sort of a utility item. I saw a harvest point of herbs on the ground that was sparkling in a more traditional/subtle way, I think this is just to highlight interactable objects, which I figure is a necessity in an open world game with more scene-setting.
When all the maps were small, flat-ish boxes with very sparse dressing, it was easier to have a single flower stand out as decoration. In a more lush jungle setting it might be harder to distinguish what's scenery and what's important. Likewise the tracking breadcrumb trail is just a new method of finding the monster to start, since you can't presumably rely on just running like a madman through the 3 zones where he's most likely to be, and charging through the jungle hoping to randomly bump into a monster doesn't seem like a very fun gameplay mechanic. But maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate. :shrug:

Definitely seems like an item, there's a lamp with the same color as the fireflies on the Hunter's belt.

Also the stealth cloak is another item, and they said they have a taunting cloak too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i don't mind sparkles lighting up stuff you can gather i think that's a decent accessibility improvement

being able to point and shoot things that used to be throwable like flash bombs seems good too

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

No.

Seriously, no. Don't do this.

Don't port over Monster Hunter Stories, the game no one wanted or asked for, and then not port MHXX, a game that people are looking forward to and want to play.

noooooooo

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Chronojam posted:

Well that was disappointing in every way. I guess it looked okay visually but more generic than usual.

"Everybody likes how Nintendo does it? Ok, we'll do the same thing where we play our games and have people talk about them, but replace the live gameplay with the same trailer we already showed earlier.

Wait, why does everyone hate this?"

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

why did that dude ask about the vita lol

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

It looks like they're sort of a utility item. I saw a harvest point of herbs on the ground that was sparkling in a more traditional/subtle way, I think this is just to highlight interactable objects, which I figure is a necessity in an open world game with more scene-setting.
When all the maps were small, flat-ish boxes with very sparse dressing, it was easier to have a single flower stand out as decoration. In a more lush jungle setting it might be harder to distinguish what's scenery and what's important. Likewise the tracking breadcrumb trail is just a new method of finding the monster to start, since you can't presumably rely on just running like a madman through the 3 zones where he's most likely to be, and charging through the jungle hoping to randomly bump into a monster doesn't seem like a very fun gameplay mechanic. But maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate. :shrug:

Trying to find that one item you need but never knowing where it is has been a long standing complaint throughout the series, when I saw the spore things I thought that might be the way they're trying to solve that problem.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I just zoned into the angry part of the map, and not even dung bombs could make me leave.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Keep asking people until someone says yes damnit :arghfist::( MHXX on the Switch is literally the Perfect Monster Hunter Game.
e: wait Vita what? No, Switch!

lets hang out posted:

i don't mind sparkles lighting up stuff you can gather i think that's a decent accessibility improvement
As long as it can be turned off, because it looked super annoying.

Also I know it's the same footage as we saw earlier but I still think it looks generic and bland as heck.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

bwuh

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I just remember DmC and a shiver went down my spine. I hope that doesn't happen to monster Hunter

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for Generic Action Adventure Hunter for the PS4, Xbonx and Microsoft Windows PC

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I feel like there's a more elegant way of showing what to do or what to gather than "magical fairy dust lights up everything important". Other games have managed that fine.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Uh...hmm.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This is actually good as long as you can turn it off because otherwise how the gently caress are you supposed to know what impact any of the skills/sharpening/coatings/buffs/whatever actually do

You need to look up so much weird poo poo to actually know what's going on

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

This is an insanely good and needed addition, tbqh.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Your Computer posted:

I can't wait for Generic Action Adventure Hunter for the PS4, Xbonx and Microsoft Windows PC
I mean I don't like the sound of some of the changes either but all these complaints of "this doesn't even look like Monster Hunter" are starting to make me feel like I'm missing something. What's the defining optic for "looking like a Monster Hunter game"? There's a guy with a greatsword wandering around prehistoric jungles fighting big weird goofy not-dinosaurs with glowing plants lighting up caves. That's more or less been the aesthetic since the PS2. What tipped this past the point of recognizability?

Lemming posted:

This is actually good as long as you can turn it off because otherwise how the gently caress are you supposed to know what impact any of the skills/sharpening/coatings/buffs/whatever actually do

Yeah I'd be happy to know the specifics of a skill change or new weapon, definitely. But I'd also like to be able to turn it off for about 95% of the game.

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010

The japanese guys who spend 50 hours kicking dinosaurs to figure out motion values all simultaneously shed a tear, and didn't know why. (it's a good change)

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

no cats

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

no cats

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i mean....that's one way of finding monsters weapon points I guess

how did people find out what monsters were weak to other than a spreadsheet of how many whacks at what body part it took to down it?

solution b would be "a book that tells you in-lore reasons why monsters are weak to X"
solution c is "monsters recoil or your attack flashes when you hit it with what its weak to"

idk as much as I want to lament the death of MH if the numbers are able to be removed via setting I really dont give a heck, it'll make min-maxing a lot easier :unsmith:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Your Computer posted:

Also I know it's the same footage as we saw earlier but I still think it looks generic and bland as heck.

Your Computer posted:

When I was first watching the trailer I thought it was someone trying to rip off Monster Hunter and Horizon and doing a forgettable job of each. Then the dude's run looked familiar, then the Rathalos showed up and I thought they had some weird crossover going on somehow. It doesn't really look very Monster Huntery.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ojetor posted:

This is an insanely good and needed addition, tbqh.

Don't you want to have to look up the damage numbers for every animation and put it into a spreadsheet with datamined info in order to know how much damage you're doing instead? Now that's what I call fun

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Lemming posted:

Yeah if you can turn them off, which I'm sure you'll be able too, this is fine. Making the game less archaic is a good thing. I'm sure people will cry about it though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i think people took a lot of that information from the encyclopedia sized guide books they sell in japan

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Prowler is like the best thing in MHX/XX though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Meldonox posted:

When I was first watching the trailer I thought it was someone trying to rip off Monster Hunter and Horizon and doing a forgettable job of each. Then the dude's run looked familiar, then the Rathalos showed up and I thought they had some weird crossover going on somehow. It doesn't really look very Monster Huntery.

Literally everyone in my discord was going MH! when they saw the sword.

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010

Meldonox posted:

I personally think that the trailer is just bad and that's a big part in all of this. Also it's funny to see that I wasn't the only one who wasn't sure it was monster hunter until I saw the run-away-from-the-monster animation. That poo poo is iconic.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Zerilan posted:

THAT'S WHY I'M SAD :qq:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Lemming posted:

Don't you want to have to look up the damage numbers for every animation and put it into a spreadsheet with datamined info in order to know how much damage you're doing instead? Now that's what I call fun

Slow down on the straw man, my friend. Maybe I'm a weirdo but I like the idea of monster damage being represented by a monster slowing down/breathing heavily/losing limbs etc. It's not vital to my enjoyment of the series but I always enjoyed the lack of floating numbers

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i mean....that's one way of finding monsters weapon points I guess

how did people find out what monsters were weak to other than a spreadsheet of how many whacks at what body part it took to down it?

solution b would be "a book that tells you in-lore reasons why monsters are weak to X"
solution c is "monsters recoil or your attack flashes when you hit it with what its weak to"

idk as much as I want to lament the death of MH if the numbers are able to be removed via setting I really dont give a heck, it'll make min-maxing a lot easier :unsmith:

The quick way to do it in game was to look at the armor you can craft from them. The biggest negative value on the armor is what they're weak to.

Of course, this required you killing them at least once sooooo.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Meldonox posted:

ya it looked super high res and wasn't on a 2 inch screen

Zerilan posted:

prowler sucks rear end and if cutting it makes the rest of the weapons better than awesome

no need to balance some extremely polarizing option with a bunch of tertiary gameplay mechanics unique to it

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Good

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Showing damage and attack effectiveness through animations or monster behavior would be preferable to just telegraphing it through a number. A flat out damage number feels like telegraphing it too much.

It also kind of ruins immersion.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Uhh the great sword was very clearly an mh weapon

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i think prowler is only polarizing to you dude

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Felynes are in the game, but it's unknown if they're playable.

In fact that's the burning question, what (if anything) is making the jump from all the Cross additions? I assume this is a clean branching off from MH4, which means the existence of Styles, Super Arts and Prowlers is in question.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zelder posted:

Slow down on the straw man, my friend. Maybe I'm a weirdo but I like the idea of monster damage being represented by a monster slowing down/breathing heavily/losing limbs etc. It's not vital to my enjoyment of the series but I always enjoyed the lack of floating numbers

there's no reason they they can't do both, especially since seeing numbers fly up without a health bar doesn't tell you jack about how healthy the monster is

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

But in all seriousness this development kind of blows. I'm like 5 quests away from completing Gen and now there's no point.

I really hope World is amazing, because we don't have much else to look forward to now.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

You can probably turn off the floating numbers in options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

ya it looked super high res and wasn't on a 2 inch screen

prowler sucks rear end and if cutting it makes the rest of the weapons better than awesome

no need to balance some extremely polarizing option with a bunch of tertiary gameplay mechanics unique to it

Once you go cat you never go back.

• Locked thread