Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shot in the dark for writing advice, but I'm writing a gimmick about how space marines might get around other people listening in on their vox channels. My idea was basically that the Marines would mask their signal by flooding the channels with static and relying on their enhanced hearing to make out communications. Does that make sense or would it make more sense for them to communicate with a series of blips hidden in the static so they follow codes instead of actually trying to talk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Current modern military comsec works by jumping frequencies thousands of times per second on a random pattern that will only be correctly heard by receiving radios by the same comsec key. So no, neither scenario makes sense bar a massive, massive regression of radio technology.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Rat posted:

neither scenario makes sense bar a massive, massive regression of radio technology.

So either then because it's 40k

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Arcsquad12 posted:

Shot in the dark for writing advice, but I'm writing a gimmick about how space marines might get around other people listening in on their vox channels. My idea was basically that the Marines would mask their signal by flooding the channels with static and relying on their enhanced hearing to make out communications. Does that make sense or would it make more sense for them to communicate with a series of blips hidden in the static so they follow codes instead of actually trying to talk?

A couple of the novels just have them using clicks and beeps over vox channels to communicate.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Masking the signal by hearing audio through the static is quite clever. Depending on the writing style, it probably would be a good idea to also include technical details to indicate they are also using standard encryption and compression techniques.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Go full Space Marine lo-fi low-tech with it- a series of grunts and other sounds of exertion that is specific to the training rites of the Chapter's initiation.

Any true battle brother knows the dismayed braying bark of finding a carnodon on field exercises is a request to land the Predators 3 kilometers to the right of the assault company and advance around the enemy's rear.

Just as the sputtering hiss of an overloaded preomnor during fauna acclimatization/feast means to bring up the chem weapons and purge all opposition.

E: I need non-genre recommendations. I'm going to be on my rear end for the next few weeks with a double whammy of Mono and pneumonia and I don't want to go crazy. I'll read anything

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

If you're okay with books that are either a Mary Sue romp or are clearly, and sometimes explicitly, someone running a game and just writing down what happened then the D&D books are alright. I rather liked the ones Elaine Cunningham wrote.

I'm super ok with reading games written down so im easy to please....I can't handle John Ringo tho. I like the safe hold series alot tho

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Immanentized posted:

Go full Space Marine lo-fi low-tech with it- a series of grunts and other sounds of exertion that is specific to the training rites of the Chapter's initiation.

Any true battle brother knows the dismayed braying bark of finding a carnodon on field exercises is a request to land the Predators 3 kilometers to the right of the assault company and advance around the enemy's rear.

Just as the sputtering hiss of an overloaded preomnor during fauna acclimatization/feast means to bring up the chem weapons and purge all opposition.

E: I need non-genre recommendations. I'm going to be on my rear end for the next few weeks with a double whammy of Mono and pneumonia and I don't want to go crazy. I'll read anything

Read Armor by John Steakly, Matterhone, Relentless Strike, Gunslinger : Brett Farve, Chickenhawk, The Descent (gets kind of weird), Skunworks, Chuck Yeagers autobiography, Off Armageddons Reef, The Great Game, Vampires by John Steakly, Bringing the Heat (really loving good), Salt Sugar Fat, Shoe Dog, The Jordan Rules, Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, SERIOUSLY READ GRUNTS EVERYONE IN THE THREAD READ GRUNTS. Also read Grunts

Watch Pumping Iron too

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Waroduce posted:

Read Armor by John Steakly, Matterhone, Relentless Strike, Gunslinger : Brett Farve, Chickenhawk, The Descent (gets kind of weird), Skunworks, Chuck Yeagers autobiography, Off Armageddons Reef, The Great Game, Vampires by John Steakly, Bringing the Heat (really loving good), Salt Sugar Fat, Shoe Dog, The Jordan Rules, Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, SERIOUSLY READ GRUNTS EVERYONE IN THE THREAD READ GRUNTS. Also read Grunts

Watch Pumping Iron too

Killer list, thanks! Pumping Iron will have to suffice for all the workouts I'm no longer allowed to do.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Chickenhawk is so well-loving written in detail and explanation that you have the feeling you're qualified to fly a Huey when you're done with it, down to the inexplicable tendency to explain running take-offs to people.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd have thought 40k marines would have just had constant hymns and chanting playing over the vox. Glorious, rumbling singing means "Charge!", lamenting wailing chant means "retreat" (ahem, 'regroup') and Love is a Battlefield for "get ready to ruin the enemy's poo poo".

Seriously though, would marines bother encrypting their comms? They paint themselves bright colours, wear giant banners on their backs and even have a mantra about being loud, seen and letting the enemy know that the fury of the Emperor is upon them. Anyone listening in is just going to hear "Brother, you gently caress up the twenty on the left, I'll waffle-stomp the twenty on the right"

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Someone write a short story about a heretek working for decades on decrypting space marine comms. He raids planets and kidnaps people to sacrifice and turn into bio-computers, he sells his soul to a bunch of different demons, he allies with chaos space marines to protect his lab against other space marines etc. Finally one day while he's really close to breaking through he comes under attack from imperial troops. His allies fight them outside in a desperate battle, and just as they're about to break he makes the crucial discovery and taps into the enemy comms. They're Space Wolves and all he hears is "Awooo".

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Telsa Cola posted:

A couple of the novels just have them using clicks and beeps over vox channels to communicate.

Usually from what iv seen this refers to people standing near space marines hearing vox clicks. Implying they are talking to each other but we can't hear the words, just that the vox is transmitting and receiving.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It's Msn Messenger, space marine edition.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Both Space Marines and IG typically use what is called 'Battle cant' when using the vox, much like how in the military to this day using codewords for objections, or actually like how they used the Navajo language in the Pacific Theater. Even if they were listening in they wouldn't understand what was actually being said, another example would be those aliens in Star Trek TNG, the Darmok who communicated through allegory. "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra."

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Please everyone read this

look at that cover

look at it!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vadoc posted:

Both Space Marines and IG typically use what is called 'Battle cant' when using the vox, much like how in the military to this day using codewords for objections, or actually like how they used the Navajo language in the Pacific Theater. Even if they were listening in they wouldn't understand what was actually being said, another example would be those aliens in Star Trek TNG, the Darmok who communicated through allegory. "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra."

It's also been noted that most chapters typically speak among themselves in the local dialect of their homeworld. Gothic, high or low, is mainly reserved for dealing with outsiders or for fleet-based chapters.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
You don't need encrypted comms if no one speaks your language

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Please everyone read this

look at that cover

look at it!

This is a fun book.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

and sometimes explicitly, someone running a game and just writing down what happened then the D&D books are alright.

That's pretty much the Dragonlance books in a nutshell.
Not to mention the failed Dark Heresy trilogy that Sandy Mitchell did, which I've also read.
I actually have a couple of the short story anthologies which were of varying levels of quality.

But if we're throwing out random recommendations the Quantum Gravity series by Justina Robson is a solid read if you want magic in the modern future world with some cybernetics thrown into it as well.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I will neither read the book nor look at its cover. Check and mate

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Vadoc posted:

Perturabo, when the walls held

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Communications encryption is essential.

Arcsquad12, I would find that static idea interesting in a scenario where standard vox encryption failed somehow. Wouldnt work forever though.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I likes the sandy Mitchell Heresy series :(

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I likes the sandy Mitchell Heresy series :(

:same:
Just a shame it had to end on a cliffhanger with no third book in sight. Curious what happened to lead to that point. Other than executive meddling I guess.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I kind of like the idea that part of what makes Space Marines so effective is that they DON'T broadcast on the battlefield. They all know the plan and unless something majorly unexpected happens they stick to it and win via Codex etc. That way they can do stuff like just flood all frequencies with static to gently caress with the other guy even more.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Chickenhawk is so well-loving written in detail and explanation that you have the feeling you're qualified to fly a Huey when you're done with it, down to the inexplicable tendency to explain running take-offs to people.
I legit think I would be better at flying a Huey than I would at driving a car after reading it. Of course, I am poo poo at driving cars so...

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Immanentized posted:

Killer list, thanks! Pumping Iron will have to suffice for all the workouts I'm no longer allowed to do.

Post trip reports

@all

We should do a monthly biweekly let's read thread I like most of you...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arquinsiel posted:

I kind of like the idea that part of what makes Space Marines so effective is that they DON'T broadcast on the battlefield. They all know the plan and unless something majorly unexpected happens they stick to it and win via Codex etc. That way they can do stuff like just flood all frequencies with static to gently caress with the other guy even more.

A squad of Astartes would be ten dudes who each make John Wick look like Gomer Pyle, who have all trained and fought together for decades, carrying one hit one kill weapons, and wearing power armor. They'd be better coordinated than the Bolshoi Ballet and much deadlier.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Space Marines use the unbeatable strategy of forming a giant man pile and shooting out of frame

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I read "The Last Church" the other day and was kind of bemused by how the Emperor went full Richard Dawkins on that hapless priest. The Big E pretty much being the most militant atheist in the history of mankind I suppose it makes some sense, but I remain unconvinced that Graham McNeill wasn't writing the story with a copy of "The God Delusion" open next to him at all times.

Overall this "Tales of Heresy" anthology isn't all that. Dan Abnett's contribution was pretty good as expected, and "After Desh'ea" probably is the high point of the whole thing, but everything else was more or less forgettable. It was part of that BL Humble Bundle a while ago at least so I didn't technically pay all that much for it. :v:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The anthologies are usually bad

I liked Deathwing tho

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
First 40k book I read was Horus Rising. I didn't know who dan abnett was and I was very impressed by the book. Started reading false gods immediately after, it was disappointing. They can't all be abnett or adb.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

mllaneza posted:

A squad of Astartes would be ten dudes who each make John Wick look like Gomer Pyle, who have all trained and fought together for decades, carrying one hit one kill weapons, and wearing power armor. They'd be better coordinated than the Bolshoi Ballet and much deadlier.

Now I am imagining a fight between a squad of Marines and a Harlequin troupe that is basically the raddest dance battle of all time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ashcans posted:

Now I am imagining a fight between a squad of Marines and a Harlequin troupe that is basically the raddest dance battle of all time.

The reason the Masque of Slaanesh was cursed and exiled by Slaanesh was because she lost an interpretive dance-off against a Solitaire. Seriously.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm on the last hundred pages or so of Hereticus and while I've read it before, the entire sequence on the train just feels amazing. Yes, the endings are all rushed, yes some of the asides fall a bit flat, but drat, Abnett knows how to put you inside the imperium.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Alternative pants posted:

I'm on the last hundred pages or so of Hereticus and while I've read it before, the entire sequence on the train just feels amazing. Yes, the endings are all rushed, yes some of the asides fall a bit flat, but drat, Abnett knows how to put you inside the imperium.

I know 40k on tv chat is boring but this sequence is whatever I picture when I think about how awesome it could be. Just a killer sequence all round.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

a lovely king posted:

I know 40k on tv chat is boring but this sequence is whatever I picture when I think about how awesome it could be. Just a killer sequence all round.

Dear HBO,

After Game of Thrones, pick up Eisenhorn as a mini series

Or Necropolis.

Or Titanicius.

Just don't go anywhere near the Horus Heresy. Not even the Abnett or ADB books.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Started Titanicus, and only a few pages in, I'm reading that this poo poo all got kicked off by Urlock Gaur, and it's set in the Sabbat Worlds.

Could someone - preferably without spoiling - advise whether I should put it back down and finish Gaunt's Ghosts, or if it's kosher to just plow through it before I go on with whichever book is after Guns of Tanith?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alternative pants posted:

Dear HBO,

After Game of Thrones, pick up Eisenhorn as a mini series

Or Necropolis.

Or Titanicius.

Just don't go anywhere near the Horus Heresy. Not even the Abnett or ADB books.

If a Heresy book had to be adapted, I think my pick would be Scars. Cut out the stormseer's wacky adventures and focus on the three viewpoints of the Terran recruit, the Chogorian recruit, and the logistics lady. Draw out the early parts to slowly introduce the setting and the Astartes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Started Titanicus, and only a few pages in, I'm reading that this poo poo all got kicked off by Urlock Gaur, and it's set in the Sabbat Worlds.

Could someone - preferably without spoiling - advise whether I should put it back down and finish Gaunt's Ghosts, or if it's kosher to just plow through it before I go on with whichever book is after Guns of Tanith?

You are completely fine to just read Titanicus. I can't remember a single time where knowledge of Gaunt's Ghosts would be important in the slightest.