Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Pretty sure that's the legion, try the imperial cult in Ebonheart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Stumiester posted:

"Imperial cult", but "join imperial cult" isn't an option.
Try these people.
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Imperial_Cult#Joining_the_Imperial_Cult

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Just thinking about randomly generated quests, does Morrowind do them?
I suppose there would at least be a mod that does. I'm really into them for some reason. Something about a world where I can quest forever, it feels alive? I'm a big fan of the earlier ES games mostly because of their endless quests. Skyrim is super bad at them because a lot of their bounties cap at like 500 gold.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lampsacus posted:

I suppose there would at least be a mod that does. I'm really into them for some reason. Something about a world where I can quest forever, it feels alive? I'm a big fan of the earlier ES games mostly because of their endless quests. Skyrim is super bad at them because a lot of their bounties cap at like 500 gold.

The loot in some places, some monster spawns and maybe the invetory of some merchants are the only randomness I know of in base Morrowind, aside from whether or not a skill works.

Edit: there's a mod for Skyrim that will scale payment for bounties based on your level, so if that's the only thing keeping you from playing it forever. Morrowind doesn't have randomly generated quests.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 14, 2017

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Oh thanks. Of course, when I install that mod I'll have to install loot mods so big money still has use.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what kind of randomly generated quests do you want

because they aren't difficult to make, and I'm sure morrorwind has some mods that do that

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Atrayonis posted:

Don't play with TR if it's your first time. Put in the unofficial Patch, Texture Fix, poorly placed objects fix, the MCP bugfixes, and play that.

I think I've got most of those fixes bookmarked already. I searched for Poorly Placed Objects, and I found this: <http://mw.modhistory.com/download-35-12002> Not sure if it's the right one, though.

I got a link for the Morrowind Patch Project. Is that the same as the unofficial patch, or is that a separate project?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

what kind of randomly generated quests do you want

because they aren't difficult to make, and I'm sure morrorwind has some mods that do that
Hminfpmm, mostly dungeon fetch/clear out quests. Yeah I'm surprised morrowind has been out over fifteen years and I can't find any!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I just started a new Redguard monk character. Does anybody know of mods that will augment that experience? Especially Unarmed combat?

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
No mods needed, unarmed combat is perfect in vanilla Morrowind.
I once did a completely unmodded playthrough, finishing the main questline, as an Argonian punching everything to death. No other weapons or magic.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

HoboNews posted:

No mods needed, unarmed combat is perfect in vanilla Morrowind.
I once did a completely unmodded playthrough, finishing the main questline, as an Argonian punching everything to death. No other weapons or magic.

Same

I did it as a bald imperial who only wore pants and gloves. Running into a mage guild and cleaning it out with sick karate moves is fun af

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I finally got Morrowind set up, and I've made it to Balmora.

The character I'm playing:

quote:

Dark Elf
Specialization: Combat
Favored Attributes: Strength, Willpower
Birthsign: The Lady
Major Skills:Long Blade, Heavy Armor, Alteration, Mysticism, Illusion
Minor Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Restoration, Spear, Marksmen

At this point, I don't have any spells. I thought about maybe joining the Mages' Guild to rectify that, but I didn't know if there was another faction that was worth joining the first time going through the game. I don't totally get the difference between the Imperial Legion and the Imperial Cult, and I've read that you can also join one of the Morrowind Houses, which function similarly to the guilds.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

At this point, I don't have any spells. I thought about maybe joining the Mages' Guild to rectify that, but I didn't know if there was another faction that was worth joining the first time going through the game. I don't totally get the difference between the Imperial Legion and the Imperial Cult, and I've read that you can also join one of the Morrowind Houses, which function similarly to the guilds.

Imperial Legion is the army. They are stationed across Morrowind and need help keeping the peace.

The Imperial Cult is the church. Divines bless you wanderer. Do you wish to learn more about Stendarr's Mercy?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

You aren't limited in the number of factions you can be a member of at any time, other than only being able to join one of the three houses, so go hog wild join all the guilds you like.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Max Wilco posted:

You can also join the Tribunal Temple. House Telvanni is the magey house - they're on the eastern shore of Vvardenfell so you can either walk until you get there or buy some transport to Sadith Mora.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gobblecoque posted:

You aren't limited in the number of factions you can be a member of at any time, other than only being able to join one of the three houses, so go hog wild join all the guilds you like.

There are a few guild quest lines that gently caress each other up, though; like if you want to 100% both you have to do one first because one kills important people in the other.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Max Wilco posted:

Good character! (By which I mean: that looks like one of mine.) A few thoughts on factions. There are skill requirements for advancing in rank, and each faction has a slightly different list of favored skills. Long Blade / Marksman / Mysticism, as a set, will qualify you for every faction. You'll need more than one skill off the list as you continue on, but with those three at like 30 or so, you'll be able to join every guild or house in the game right off the boat.

Rookersh mentioned the Legion vs. Cult difference. Personally, I think the Legion quests are pretty cool, and the Cult's quests kinda lame. Like, as though they were the first faction quests made and they never got a second draft once the team had learned how to make good quests. Though, one of the Imperial Cult's last questlines is all about tracking down legendary artifacts for (your) safekeeping.

A thing about spells: The Mages Guild doesn't exactly teach you spells. You can buy spells from them, but you don't need to join to do that. House Telvanni, the wizard house, does actually teach you a handful of spells in the early quest rewards. (Most notably Mark & Recall, extremely useful teleport spells.) And you get a wizard tower.

But as mentioned, only the three houses (Hlaalu, Redoran, Telvanni) are exclusive with each other. Join every guild, do all the things, be on tip-toes around Fighters and Thieves Guild quests in Balmora, get adopted into the Best House and live in a mushroom.

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy
Any tips on configuring MGE-XE so that the game loads far enough that you can always see Red Mountain, but so that there would be some kind of blur effect for distance objects?

I've set it up to render far, but everything looks overly 'crisp' regardless of distance which just looks really strange and kills the outdoor fps. I'm trying to set something up that models what the real distance and clarity would appear like.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Riversideblues posted:

Any tips on configuring MGE-XE so that the game loads far enough that you can always see Red Mountain, but so that there would be some kind of blur effect for distance objects?

I've set it up to render far, but everything looks overly 'crisp' regardless of distance which just looks really strange and kills the outdoor fps. I'm trying to set something up that models what the real distance and clarity would appear like.

You can get that effect if you enable exponential fog. It'll take further tweaking to get it how you like after that, but it's worth it. I'm probably not the best person to ask for specific tweaks though, because I went for shitloads of fog (but only when rainy/foggy), super dark nights, and kept my max draw distance closer than what you're after. I can only see Red Mountain on a really clear day.

Vavrek posted:

Good character! (By which I mean: that looks like one of mine.) A few thoughts on factions. There are skill requirements for advancing in rank, and each faction has a slightly different list of favored skills. Long Blade / Marksman / Mysticism, as a set, will qualify you for every faction. You'll need more than one skill off the list as you continue on, but with those three at like 30 or so, you'll be able to join every guild or house in the game right off the boat.

Rookersh mentioned the Legion vs. Cult difference. Personally, I think the Legion quests are pretty cool, and the Cult's quests kinda lame. Like, as though they were the first faction quests made and they never got a second draft once the team had learned how to make good quests. Though, one of the Imperial Cult's last questlines is all about tracking down legendary artifacts for (your) safekeeping.

A thing about spells: The Mages Guild doesn't exactly teach you spells. You can buy spells from them, but you don't need to join to do that. House Telvanni, the wizard house, does actually teach you a handful of spells in the early quest rewards. (Most notably Mark & Recall, extremely useful teleport spells.) And you get a wizard tower.

But as mentioned, only the three houses (Hlaalu, Redoran, Telvanni) are exclusive with each other. Join every guild, do all the things, be on tip-toes around Fighters and Thieves Guild quests in Balmora, get adopted into the Best House and live in a mushroom.

I've finally gotten around to tweaking the Imperial Legion and the rest of the Imperial Cult, and found the Oracle quests really only needed to be taken out of greetings so the NPC doesn't railroad you into them. It was nothing like the Almoner quests, which are so bad the only way I could think of to improve them for QTA was to allow you to gently caress up the quests on purpose by doing things like dumping Truptor's brandy on the floor.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Max Wilco posted:

I think I've got most of those fixes bookmarked already. I searched for Poorly Placed Objects, and I found this: <http://mw.modhistory.com/download-35-12002> Not sure if it's the right one, though.

I got a link for the Morrowind Patch Project. Is that the same as the unofficial patch, or is that a separate project?

That's the correct ones.

Lampsacus posted:

Morrowind: Inhabitants Freeform is the only mod I know that does random quests.
Get the patch too!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rookersh posted:

Imperial Legion is the army. They are stationed across Morrowind and need help keeping the peace.

The Imperial Cult is the church. Divines bless you wanderer. Do you wish to learn more about Stendarr's Mercy?

You can join nearly every faction.
- The Blades (His Majesty's Secret Services)
- Fighters' Guild
- Mages' Guild
- Thieves' Guild
- Morag Tong (Morrowind's legal assassins' guild)
- Imperial Legion
- Imperial Cult
- Tribunal Temple
- East Empire Company (in Bloodmoon)
All the above factions can be joined at the same time with no conflict. Though keep in mind that you're advised to complete the Thieves Guild questline before the Fighters Guild questline. That's because the Fighters' Guild is infiltrated by the Cammona Tong, Morrowind's native mafia, and so they're used to destroy the Thieves Guild. Inversely, the Thieves Guild's missions involve purging the Fighters Guild of CT influence.

In addition, you can join one of the Dunmer Great Houses: Hlaalu, Redoran, or Telvanni. (There's a glitch that lets you join House Hlaalu in addition to another, but I believe it's fixed by the unofficial patch. Killing Orvas Dren and then talking to his brother the Duke Vedam Dren promoted you in the Hlaalu ranks even if you were not already a member, so if you were not a member it automatically gave you membership.)

Factions that you cannot join:
- Dark Brotherhood (join the Morag Tong instead)
- Cammona Tong (join the Thieves Guild instead)
- House Indoril and House Dres (except through Tamriel Rebuilt but it's WIP)
- House Dagoth (though there are mods for that)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The only house worth joining is House Hlaalu. Dolla dolla bills, n'wah.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Riversideblues posted:

Look up the "fog linked DOF" shader. I use that with these distant land settings (adjust for the newer versions) and around 12 distant cells and this statics override.

With vanilla graphics, it looks really good and keeps the "mystery" without smacking you in the face with how small the island really is.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Fog-linked DOF is the best thing. It drains FPS like nothing, but it's very cool.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I got to agree, exponential fog is the poo poo.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the best faction to join for a new player is the imperial legion.

the best factions overall are house telvanni, the tribunal temple and the imperial cult. all three have you go to some real cool places and give you some real dope loot.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The only house worth joining is House Hlaalu.

:chloe:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

because the imperial cult was written in a weekend (really actually) it couldn't be more than fetch quests and consequently ended up the dumping ground for all the unused weapon/armor models :thumbsup:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Temple was always my favorite because the pilgrimage is a good way to introduce you to the world, and if you gain rank you can later bluff your way through part of the main quest which is cool.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You have to start with Fighter's Guild. First off the stuff they have in the chest is useful for a new player. Second, the first quest is to kill rats.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

double

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Telvanni gets the top spot for me in terms of best faction quests, followed by Redoran and Temple in joint second probably. Telvanni has the absolute best mods though LGNPC's Pax Redoran is pretty great too.

A lot of the time when I play Morrowind now I ignore the faction quests for a long time and go out and explore. I know Vvardfenfell back to front but a lot of Tamriel Rebuilt is still unknown to me so going out and finding caves and weird places is really fun.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You have to start with Fighter's Guild. First off the stuff they have in the chest is useful for a new player. Second, the first quest is to kill rats.

Joining both the fighter's and mage's guilds gives you soooooo much random useful stuff for a new player.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
If you join House Hlaalu you get to kick it with the esteemed author of The Lusty Argonian Maid and really, what more do you need?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

because the imperial cult was written in a weekend (really actually) it couldn't be more than fetch quests and consequently ended up the dumping ground for all the unused weapon/armor models :thumbsup:

Haha that explains a lot, like the weird visiting Emperor quest. It's still a cool questline somehow.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

raminasi posted:

If you join House Hlaalu you get to kick it with the esteemed author of The Lusty Argonian Maid and really, what more do you need?

Dumpling, you don't need to join House Hlaalu to kick it with Uncle Crassius.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hlaalu are the most thematically appropriate house. Morrowind isn't about being a heroic protector, like House Redoran, or uncovering ancient secrets, like Telvanni. It's about coming to an island with nothing and clawing your way to power through money and connections. Most of the quests you do, in the main storyline or elsewhere, are all about influence, secrets, or money. Every guild quest, most of the main quests. Even the lore is all about moral ambiguity rather than clear Good Vs. Evil Adventures, like Skyrim. Hlaalu are the most Morrowind house.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also, exploring ruins and poo poo just isn't my favorite part of Morrowind. I have the most fun traveling between towns and interacting with the characters, because I think the world is interesting and well-written (unlike Skyrim).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hlaalu are the most thematically appropriate house. Morrowind isn't about being a heroic protector, like House Redoran, or uncovering ancient secrets, like Telvanni. It's about coming to an island with nothing and clawing your way to power through money and connections.

House Telvanni claws their way to power through magic and stabbing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Fun fact about Hlaalu; when you join Hlaalu you have to get Crassius Curio to accept you. All he asks is that you get naked for him. Originally he was only supposed to ask if you were female but a bug made him ask if you were male as well. The devs decided that that was a feature and left it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
So you want to join House Hlaalu, but "accidentally" have already joined another one?

There's a mod for this now (needs MCP).