Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Augus posted:

act like I took a dumb directly in your mouth by criticizing a Nintendo game.

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Augus posted:

it is pretty extreme to say that old games were garbage for having obscure secrets or that you're an elitest rear end in a top hat for a game to have actual secrets, yes.
What does the second part of that sentence mean? I feel like there's a few words missing. I don't think game designers are elitist assholes for making games with secrets, I think consumers are elitist assholes for requesting developers to limit access to secrets to only those who are willing to google it.

plz don't dump in my mouth about this, or eat more corn.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Modus Pwnens posted:

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how video games are played and designed.

If people have a button they can spam to find power ups, they're going to spam it whether it makes the game more fun or interesting or not.

The existence of that ability will also inform the level design and discourage more clever secrets.

Power Bombs did effectively the same thing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Isn't there like

A whole contingent of Metroid fans who undertake self imposed challenges and don't use certain weapons or mechanics the game provides or attempt to clear the game under specific conditions?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Modus Pwnens posted:

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how video games are played and designed.

If people have a button they can spam to find power ups, they're going to spam it whether it makes the game more fun or interesting or not.

The existence of that ability will also inform the level design and discourage more clever secrets.

Lmao.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Augus posted:

But sure, act like I took a dumb directly in your mouth by criticizing a Nintendo game. Why not.

Don't be a turd and do this. You know it being a Nintendo game has nothing to do with this discussion.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Amppelix posted:

I'm actually going to argue this. What's wrong with self imposed challenges? If you have fun doing one there should be no issue. True, it could be argued that it is a bit of a design flaw if the player has to make their own fun by refusing to use a game feature but as long as that is not too much trouble what exactly is the problem? I do this all the time when playing stuff. If it feels like using something the game gives me is going to spoil my fun or the way i like to play it, i just don't do it.

Because having an instant gratification button in the corner of the screen at all times inherently changes and devalues the experience of overcoming a challenge.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
When mh3u came out I bought it for Wii U and 3ds and it was incredibly satisfying to be able to transfer characters over so I could play on flights and vacations and such and one of my thoughts was "boy if they could make changing between the 3ds and WiiU platforms easier it'd be even more of a money tree." So when the switch came out I immediately thought of what a great natural extension of that idea was, to the point where I honestly expected MH as some kind of launch title.

To find out we aren't getting it, for a long time, at least, is baffling. It's like Capcom is trying to outdo Konami.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Augus posted:

it would certainly give the developers an excuse for lazy map design
if a game has secrets but also has a "reveal every secret" button, then the game doesn't have secrets.

It's literally not any different than just dropping bombs or using the xray vision in super metroid

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Modus Pwnens posted:

And if that button doesn't exist, they're going to go onto GameFAQs, look up a secrets walkthrough, and achieve the same outcome.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Augus posted:

The map stations that were in every other Metroid game that gave you a partial picture of the map (but didn't give you everything) worked just fine.

Yeah and that forced you to look up a guide if you wanted to find the items but missed them on your own. That part didn't actually work fine, it worked bad.

It didn't make the game garbage or unplayable but something to remedy that is a good thing. The way they solved it in BotW was pretty elegant; sheikah sensor (that you could turn off) for the shrines, and literally 900 koroks so you would miss a bunch but still find a ton, way more than you'd ever need, if you made an effort to look.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its about ethics in how other people play videogames

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

You just gotta pull yourself up by your bootstraps maaaaan.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

Isn't there like

A whole contingent of Metroid fans who undertake self imposed challenges and don't use certain weapons or mechanics the game provides or attempt to clear the game under specific conditions?

Low percent hard on Zero Mission was sweet, and it was cool they gave you an in game reward for it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
To be serious, the hostility here is embarrassing to read. Let's all take a deep breath and try to argue our perspectives without being assholes about it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Nintendo? They lost E3, they lost E3 BIG TIME. VC? guess we can hope again in 2018. As for me... I'm still shaking.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rexroom posted:

So let me get this straight.

MonHun XX is for the 3DS/Switch - but ONLY IN JAPAN.
MonHun World is for the west - but ONLY FOR PS4/XBONE.

And to top it off, MonHun World is the next installment?

I remember that one rumor about Sony paying top yen to make a MonHun sequel exclusive to the PS4 for the Japanese market, but that doesn't make sense either. Why pander to westerners then?

What are you doing, Capcom?

MH World is gonna be released simultaneously worldwide West and East. Its also coming out on PC.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Modus Pwnens posted:

They can't spam the button because it costs resources that could be used in other ways. I'd agree if there was no cost, in that case they'd be better off just revealing everything. It seems like they understand this, though. I'm sure harder settings will affect the cost as well

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vc is here! For wiiu games

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Nintendo? They lost E3, they lost E3 BIG TIME. VC? guess we can hope again in 2018. As for me... I'm still shaking.

I'm sorry you won't be playing Super Mario World on the Nintendo Switch in 2017.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
there is something about nintendo and E3 that seems to bring out the inner rage in goonz

I wish there were more wiiu ports announced, even if just digital-only. I know "just port it" is easier said than done but the switch better have every major wiiu game worth owning by the end of next year.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lemming posted:

The way they solved it in BotW was pretty elegant; sheikah sensor (that you could turn off) for the shrines, and literally 900 koroks so you would miss a bunch but still find a ton, way more than you'd ever need, if you made an effort to look.

That's the thing. You found more Koroks than you would ever need. But not all of them. It gave you information to find some things, but not all of them. Because Breath of the Wild understands the value of having things in a game that not everybody will find. The Scan Pulse shows you the exact position of items.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

KingSlime posted:

there is something about nintendo and E3 that seems to bring out the inner rage in goonz

I wish there were more wiiu ports announced, even if just digital-only. I know "just port it" is easier said than done but the switch better have every major wiiu game worth owning by the end of next year.

2017's already pretty loaded with releases. I imagine they're saving some of them like Smash to pad out 2018 to try to minimize any large release lulls.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Augus posted:

That's the thing. You found more Koroks than you would ever need. But not all of them. It gave you information to find some things, but not all of them. Because Breath of the Wild understands the value of having things in a game that not everybody will find. The Scan Pulse shows you the exact position of items.

There aren't going to be 900 collectable items in Samus Returns. It was one type of solution that was applicable to that game (gigantic open world). The scan pulse costs resources so you won't be able to spam it on every inch of the map unless you're farming that resource (given what we've seen) and if you're willing to do that then I don't see why that's not just as valid as being willing to shoot every block.

Edit: they're also literally adding a korok sensor

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i wish we got a mario maker port announced

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mega64 posted:

2017's already pretty loaded with releases. I imagine they're saving some of them like Smash to pad out 2018 to try to minimize any large release lulls.

Yeah

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Is this a bad time to mention the Zelda DLC features a Korok mask that acts like the Sheikah sensor so that you can find all the Koroks?

To be fair to you Augus I do understand (partially) where you're coming from, that the idea of having a button that instantly highlights secrets takes away the reward of discovery and exploration to find these things on your own.
What I don't understand is why you feel there'll be some sort of consequence to you if you just don't push that button?
You said before you weren't arguing that the map design was going to be bad because of the scan pulse, so what impact do you think there's going to be?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RME posted:

i wish we got a mario maker port announced

Never in a year with mario though. Theyre gonna space em out

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Lemming posted:

They can't spam the button because it costs resources that could be used in other ways. I'd agree if there was no cost, in that case they'd be better off just revealing everything. It seems like they understand this, though. I'm sure harder settings will affect the cost as well

That's not quite as bad. Another post said it was not that limited. I still think BOTW had a better approach--something that points you in the right direction and alerts you that a secret is near, but you still have to be observant.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
As someone who never owned a Wii U and Wii I would love it if they had a ton of ports come to the switch. Being able to play the Zeldas I missed would be great

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Never in a year with mario though. Theyre gonna space em out

I figure odds of a port of a Mario Maker 2 is pretty high but I doubt we hear a word about it until after Odyssey is out.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Wait so what's the difference between scan pulse and power bomb?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Arbitrary Number posted:

Moralizing idiot posts

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Wanna drop a lil dollop of real talk on y'all for a second

Mario Odyssey looks good as HECK

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lemming posted:

There aren't going to be 900 collectable items in Samus Returns. It was one type of solution that was applicable to that game (gigantic open world). The scan pulse costs resources so you won't be able to spam it on every inch of the map unless you're farming that resource (given what we've seen) and if you're willing to do that then I don't see why that's not just as valid as being willing to shoot every block.

It costs a tiny amount of resource.
I don't see how you can even argue that it's similar to shooting every block in the game. One thing is cheap instant gratification, the other isn't.
You're acting like I'm a crazy person because you aren't necessarily forced to use the scan pulse, but the idea that you are forced to comb the game world for every single item and get 100% completion is way more ridiculous.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

What I don't understand is why you feel there'll be some sort of consequence to you if you just don't push that button?
What do you mean by consequence?
It's just a dumb design decision. Putting the button there encourages people to press the button. People who want to avoid pressing the button will have to actively avoid pressing the button. It encourages you to just take the easy way out the second you meet resistance instead of even taking a bit of time to see if you can figure things out yourself. It isn't really rocket science.

Augus fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 14, 2017

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Didn't I see a list somewhere that they have a relatively big game every month this year starting this month with Arms and next with Splatoon 2? Fill that out with indies and poo poo like the Neo Geo releases and I imagine that's how they're gonna try to space out next year too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its like looking at how the GBA games tell you theres an item in the room and calling that a dumbing down influential part of the games design.

Just dont use the button.
OR just play fuckin AM2R.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Arbitrary Number posted:

Ok so according to a wiki the power bomb revealing stuff was only in fusion and zero mission

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Augus posted:

It costs a tiny amount of resource.
I don't see how you can even argue that it's similar to shooting every block in the game. One thing is cheap instant gratification, the other isn't.
You're acting like I'm a crazy person because you aren't necessarily forced to use the scan pulse, but the idea that you are forced to comb the game world for every single item and get 100% completion is way more ridiculous.

I didn't call you crazy and I didn't imply you were forced to search for everything. My argument is that lots of people do like to go for 100% completion and secrets are generally obtuse enough that there's no way you'll do it on your own, so there's nothing wrong with streamlining that facet of the game for people. You're the one saying that it's reasonable to expect that people who want all the secrets should have to try to shoot every block or just look it up directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rigged Death Trap posted:

OR just play fuckin AM2R.

You mean not buy the game?
Sure okay.

Wow, you sure showed me

Lemming posted:

My argument is that lots of people do like to go for 100% completion

why would you want 100% completion in a game where you aren't prepared to actually try and get 100% completion

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread