Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Fusion and zero mission are good games, Brent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

As someone who never owned a Wii U and Wii I would love it if they had a ton of ports come to the switch. Being able to play the Zeldas I missed would be great

I had both and I still want all the ports.

Kinda disappointed about no Smash this year but I guess that gives me time to fill out the challenge board on Wii U.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I played AM2R.

The difficulty felt poor balanced.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Metroid 2 gb (only because its dated as gently caress), Fusion and Other M are the worst Metroid games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

I had both and I still want all the ports.

Kinda disappointed about no Smash this year but I guess that gives me time to fill out the challenge board on Wii U.

Get into arms and pokken

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Metroid is the worst Metroid

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Wanna drop a lil dollop of real talk on y'all for a second

Mario Odyssey looks good as HECK

I'd probably by a switch just for this after seeing the trailer.

That and whatever the gently caress this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bvUwoBXOyc

Kak fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 14, 2017

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Lemming posted:

I didn't call you crazy and I didn't imply you were forced to search for everything. My argument is that lots of people do like to go for 100% completion and secrets are generally obtuse enough that there's no way you'll do it on your own, so there's nothing wrong with streamlining that facet of the game for people. You're the one saying that it's reasonable to expect that people who want all the secrets should have to try to shoot every block or just look it up directly.

Would Breath of the Wild be better if every shrine and korok seed were on the map?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Metroid 2 gb (only because its dated as gently caress), Fusion and Other M are the worst Metroid games.

Metroid Fusion: go here! ok now go here! oh god it's an emergency go to the next place right now aaaaaa
Metroid Fusion: 23% completion what the gently caress is wrong with you. why didn't you explore

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Modus Pwnens posted:

Would Breath of the Wild be better if every shrine and korok seed were on the map?

No but they're also very different games. But, they did include the Sheikah Sensor specifically to fill a similar role of giving you an option to make it easier to find things, and they're adding in a similar item for koroks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

no seriously, it isn't a personal insult to your masculinity if you don't have 100% in a game

Lemming posted:

No but they're also very different games. But, they did include the Sheikah Sensor specifically to fill a similar role of giving you an option to make it easier to find things, and they're adding in a similar item for koroks.

They aren't similar because one of them goes too far while the other gives just the right amount of guidance.
This ain't a binary thing, dude. It's not just a choice between the original Mario Bros and gently caress Myst

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Modus Pwnens posted:

The korok mask in the new dlc points out where to find them, so.

Augus posted:

no seriously, it isn't a personal insult to your masculinity if you don't have 100% in a game

I think every fan deserves to be able to approach their gameplay experience however they like and to have the tools to do so for their comfort level.

Including 100 %'ers.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Against my better judgement I have continued to scour Twitter to find many a salty Samus Returns takes, 95% percent of them salty for seemingly the same reason.

They all pretty much read the same:

https://twitter.com/Mitometa/status/874805151323873280
https://twitter.com/Alvin_Earthworm/status/874732195113558016

And so on and so forth.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Against my better judgement I have continued to scour Twitter to find many a salty Samus Returns takes, 95% percent of them salty for seemingly the same reason.

They all pretty much read the same:

https://twitter.com/Mitometa/status/874805151323873280
https://twitter.com/Alvin_Earthworm/status/874732195113558016

And so on and so forth.

are

are they aware of how game development works?

edit - wait, is that the super mario bros. z guy?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It would probably help if the paid game actually looked better than the free one.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

man if he's such a good videogame making guy, why doesn't he make a cool new videogame

ho well

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Augus posted:

They aren't similar because one of them goes too far while the other gives just the right amount of guidance.
This ain't a binary thing, dude. It's not just a choice between the original Mario Bros and gently caress Myst

Your idea of the "right" amount of guidance is completely subjective. Just like the Sheikah slate you can not use it if you don't want to.

Edit: there's not even a resource cost associated with the Sheikah slate, so I guess it's worse because nobody will have any reason to turn it off and it always points you directly to a shrine.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

TFRazorsaw posted:

are

are they aware of how game development works?

Look it's a remake so there's no loving way it took them more than a week

Also they don't realize how copyright works

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Augus posted:

What do you mean by consequence?
It's just a dumb design decision. Putting the button there encourages people to press the button. People who want to avoid pressing the button will have to actively avoid pressing the button. It encourages you to just take the easy way out the second you meet resistance instead of even taking a bit of time to see if you can figure things out yourself. It isn't really rocket science.

And what's the problem with any of that? There are going to be people who will want to play the game who will be happy that a feature like that has been included.

Having a feature that accommodates both people who want that sort of secret-finding/mapping tool (by having the button exist) and people who don't (by making it completely optional, exploring and finding secrets are not conditional on using it) is far better design than not having it at all or having it but making it mandatory, both of which would alienate one half of that audience.

It feels a little bit like you're arguing in this case that good design is one that caters to your tastes at the exclusion of all others.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Real hurthling! posted:

Get into arms and pokken

I am. I like those but it's not the same.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Lemming posted:

One gives you a general direction to search, the other makes the hidden stuff glow directly on your screen.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Augus posted:

It would probably help if the paid game actually looked better than the free one.

What does that have to do with accusations of DMCA'ing a game and then "stealing" an idea? The game wasn't made in a smidge less than a year so...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Get into arms and pokken

pokken is lame

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Oh yeaaaaah it is.

But yeah as I've stated for a while now a lot of people don't really seem to get how game dev/hiring practices work when it comes to the company. Especially that last part where I always wanna link this piece from a few years back whenever I see "They should hire these devs and let them make official games." over and over again.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Modus Pwnens posted:

One gives you a general direction to search, the other makes the hidden stuff glow directly on your screen.

No, the Sheikah slate beeps louder when you move directly towards the shrine. The only times it's ever ambiguous is if you're higher or lower than the shrine. It's not general at all.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Putting in the scan system can be detrimental because if the developer takes it for granted they may create secrets without tells. It's different from powerbombs or the Super Metroid scanner because generally, you won't pull out the scanner or the powerbomb (which prevent you from shooting/use up resources) unless you already suspect a secret is there. The scan system sounds more passive. And finding all of the secrets is not at all mandatory.

Everything in Mirror of Fate was incredibly easy to find and it just made the act of obtaining all pickups more of an exercise in tedium than one of excitement, so I don't believe having all secrets b easily/comfortably found is a good idea, even if that means some people might have a difficult time hitting 100%.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Close the thread op

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Oh yeaaaaah it is.

But yeah as I've stated for a while now a lot of people don't really seem to get how game dev/hiring practices work when it comes to the company. Especially that last part where I always wanna link this piece from a few years back whenever I see "They should hire these devs and let them make official games." over and over again.

People think that just because the stars aligned and Christian Whitehead got a job with Sega means it's going to happen everywhere despite that not being how it worked in almost every single case ever that wasn't Sega.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
You can literally not look at the screen and just follow Sheikah sensor beeps to a shrine without any trouble unless it's specifically inside a mountain lol

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9r5hx47kxM

I really like the main Odyssey theme.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Anyone who is actually at e3, what cool lesser known/indie games have you seen on the floor for the Switch that were either previously unannounced or had no release date?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Oh yeaaaaah it is.

the fact that sega managed to do just that and it looks great is not a mark in nintendo's favor here

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lemming posted:

Your idea of the "right" amount of guidance is completely subjective.

you are just blowing my mind here with your insight.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

And what's the problem with any of that? There are going to be people who will want to play the game who will be happy that a feature like that has been included.
And there are people who will end up using this feature and without realizing it, will end up not enjoying the game as much as they might've, because it isn't presented as a crutch mechanic and is so readily available at any time. Features like these should be implemented in a way that they don't push players away from engaging with the actual design of the game. Hell, Prime 3 did the same thing but better. It let you scan the world for items but this feature was in its own room separate from the rest of the game, and wasn't available until late in the game. OCD completionists get their trail of breadcrumbs but its explicitly there for when you're revisiting the worlds for items and you need to go out of your way to activate it.

You know what game had a lovely crutch mechanic? Sonic Lost World. A capsule with a wing in it shows up with no fanfare, is right in the middle of the level where it can easily be hit, and immediately transports you to the end of the stage unannounced. It sucks.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TFRazorsaw posted:

People think that just because the stars aligned and Christian Whitehead got a job with Sega means it's going to happen everywhere despite that not being how it worked in almost every single case ever that wasn't Sega.

it's almost like a significantly lower barrier to entry for game development in general results in potential game devs cropping up from unexpected non-typical places and it's pretty backwards if you as a company don't tap the potential resource of people who are so hardcore into your IP that they'll literally do things for free and manage to turn out better results than the devs you've actually hired :shrug:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

the fact that sega managed to do just that and it looks great is not a mark in nintendo's favor here

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

it's almost like a significantly lower barrier to entry for game development in general results in potential game devs cropping up from unexpected non-typical places and it's pretty backwards if you as a company don't tap the potential resource of people who are so hardcore into your IP that they'll literally do things for free and manage to turn out better results than the devs you've actually hired :shrug:

Christian Whitehead didn't just get an email in his inbox from Sega one day. He submitted his classic engine, he went through the channels, and when it was done he stopped all development on his fangame products. The myth that Sega just scooped him up ignores the hard work he put into getting the job he did. Companies just don't gobble up fan developers a la cart.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 14, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

bobjr posted:

:same:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Augus posted:

you are just blowing my mind here with your insight.

Your argument is literally "they're not the same because one is good and one is bad" so it's sort of hard to rebut plain nonsense like that with anything but a platitude.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Lemming posted:

Edit: there's not even a resource cost associated with the Sheikah slate, so I guess it's worse because nobody will have any reason to turn it off and it always points you directly to a shrine.

The noise is the true cost

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lemming posted:

Your argument is literally "they're not the same because one is good and one is bad" so it's sort of hard to rebut plain nonsense like that with anything but a platitude.

they're not the same because they literally aren't the same. one does one thing and one does a completely different thing.
I'm sorry I ever said anything bad about a Nintendo game okay? Just drop it, forget everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

bobjr posted:

I'll be honest, my eyes flashed through the title as I was scrolling down and thought it said Let's Do the Mario...

• Locked thread