Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Corey could always go libertarian/Some sort of Trumpist spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Lemming posted:

Lol the literal only time anyone has ever said "agree to disagree" is when they know they were severely owned
That specific case aside, let's agree to disagree on your post.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ChrisMegerian/status/874809630639046657
cant see that backfiring

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Lemming posted:

Lol the literal only time anyone has ever said "agree to disagree" is when they know they were severely owned

Sir, you are turning into a corncob.

Let's agree to disagree on that.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Somehow more stupid than I could have hoped.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

awesmoe posted:

cant see that backfiring

oh my sweet lord jesus christ

next derail propsal: should inherited wealth be legal? should people like trump be allowed such amazing opportunities simply because of whose balls they came out of?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Florida Betty posted:

I don't think that means anything. VA has open primaries. People cross party lines all the time. The story going into this was that Gillespie was going to win the Republican nomination in a landslide, so plenty of Republicans crossed over and voted in the Democratic primary instead. I know my mom, a Trump voter, did.

And this is why I scoff at Bernie supporters who chastise the Dems for not having more open primaries.

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/874341950475972609
https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/874342497962659842

Anyway, more on-topic:

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/874809659005206528

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Did that guy Warmbier actually steal a sign or did N Korea just frame him then beat him into a coma.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
at any rate, I'm enjoying the administration's laser-like focus on jobs and infrastructure

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

He attempted to obstruct justice against the investigation into whether he obstructed justice.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Hollismason posted:

Did that guy Warmbier actually steal a sign or did N Korea just frame him then beat him into a coma.

Oh, that guy that paid to go to NK and tried to steal a sign is the one they're talking about? I forgot all about that dude.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

awesmoe posted:

at any rate, I'm enjoying the administration's laser-like focus on jobs and infrastructure

And by laser-like we mean like how a cat responds to a laser pointer.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Wasn't the 'bernie guy' also backed by Obama?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

awesmoe posted:

Well he certainly has forced the media to increase its fact checking and legal staff levels.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Nonsense posted:

Wasn't the 'bernie guy' also backed by Obama?

quote:

He was endorsed by Vermont Senator and former presidential candidate Bernie Sanders; Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren; columnist and chair of Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign John Podesta; Center for American Progress and Center for American Progress Action Fund President and CEO Neera Tanden; and Khizr and Ghazala Khan.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Hollismason posted:

He tried to steal some of the government propaganda posters from somewhere near/in his hotel and was caught.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Warmbier

He was suuuuuuuper dumb for doing this in North Korea of all places but I don't know if he deserved to be turned into vegetable soup for it :shrug:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
If Trump fire Mueller and prevents the appointment of any additional special counsels, then couldn't he just avoid getting impeached altogether? If he ends and prevents all further investigation, then there wouldn't be enough evidence to impeach him?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

empty whippet box posted:

He attempted to obstruct justice against the investigation into whether he obstructed justice.

Trump heard "it's not the crime that gets you, but the cover-up" and learnt completely the wrong lesson.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

OctaMurk posted:

If Trump fire Mueller and prevents the appointment of any additional special counsels, then couldn't he just avoid getting impeached altogether? If he ends and prevents all further investigation, then there wouldn't be enough evidence to impeach him?

that obstruction (in any other congress) would be grounds for impeachment itself
e: but as EW said yesterday, congress would likely respond by doing a thing that removes his ability to fire (or order firing of) the counsels

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

awesmoe posted:

that obstruction (in any other congress) would be grounds for impeachment itself

But that's my point. This isn't any other congress, this is the congress we have. He could get away with all of this if he had the balls to fire Mueller, Rosenstein, and anyone else who wants to pipe up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

hahah christ if Trump thinks he can intimidate Mueller by threatening Mueller's job Trump is even dumber than I thought he was and I think Trump has mid-stage Alzheimer's

But nobody tell him, let him keep thinking it

That said, that tweet is bullshit: real story is they've realized the trial balloon they were floating re: firing Mueller, popped

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

OctaMurk posted:

But that's my point. This isn't any other congress, this is the congress we have. He could get away with all of this if he had the balls to fire Mueller, Rosenstein, and anyone else who wants to pipe up.

If you argue that congress won't impeach someone who stonewalls investigations, then why do you believe they'd impeach based on any results from an investigation?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/rossbaird/status/874454133700427777

America2017.jpg

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Rudoku posted:

Oh, that guy that paid to go to NK and tried to steal a sign is the one they're talking about? I forgot all about that dude.

Seriously like what the gently caress. Dude is in a coma and possibly braindead for thinking he was gonna get a sweet souvenir poster to show his friends. On the other hand what the gently caress were you thinking, like people ain't watching you at all times?

It's always possible the government just set him up, but this story is one that just makes a dumb sort of sense. I've stolen a branded glass from a restaurant/bar as a souvenir from time to time, but I wouldn't do it vacationing in goddamn North Korea! Seems like if you know enough about it to get on a plane and fly there that you would know stealing a poster is a terrible idea.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

awesmoe posted:

If you argue that congress won't impeach someone who stonewalls investigations, then why do you believe they'd impeach based on any results from an investigation?

If core Trump staff and family members start getting led away in handcuffs it's gonna be a lot harder for people to stay on the Trump Train, even if he starts spamming pardons, maybe especially then.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Harton posted:

Seriously like what the gently caress. Dude is in a coma and possibly braindead for thinking he was gonna get a sweet souvenir poster to show his friends. On the other hand what the gently caress were you thinking, like people ain't watching you at all times?

It's always possible the government just set him up, but this story is one that just makes a dumb sort of sense. I've stolen a branded glass from a restaurant/bar as a souvenir from time to time, but I wouldn't do it vacationing in goddamn North Korea! Seems like if you know enough about it to get on a plane and fly there that you would know stealing a poster is a terrible idea.

I also wouldn't vacation in goddamn North Korea

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This Russia stuff has fizzled out as expected. Unless we get a leak of a smoking gun, or Trump fires Mueller, this whole thing has been a wet fart.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Edit: ^ let me guess you haven't really been keeping up but you're concerned

empty whippet box posted:

Trump considers the rumors to be a functioning threat to Mueller, and his lack of confirmation or denial is leverage. So he is actually obstructing the investigation by threatening to obstruct the investigation.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If core Trump staff and family members start getting led away in handcuffs it's gonna be a lot harder for people to stay on the Trump Train, even if he starts spamming pardons, maybe especially then.
yeah, sure, but I think him making it illegal to investigate him would be just as difficult to support for any rep who isn't 100% trumptrain. Anyone in any kind of purple or even light red district who supported him in either of those cases would be equally hosed

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

This Russia stuff has fizzled out as expected. Unless we get a leak of a smoking gun, or Trump fires Mueller, this whole thing has been a wet fart.

Regardless of how bad of a thing happened with the Comey and Sessions testimony, did you think he was gonna be impeached like today?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

TyrantWD posted:

or mueller will investigate and find things and report on them and stuff will happen based on the results of that investigation which takes time?

quote:

The affair began with the arrest of five men for breaking and entering into the DNC headquarters at the Watergate complex on Saturday, June 17, 1972. The FBI investigated and discovered a connection between cash found on the burglars and a slush fund used by the Committee for the Re-Election of the President (CRP), the official organization of Nixon's campaign.[4][5] In July 1973, evidence mounted against the President’s staff, including testimony provided by former staff members in an investigation conducted by the Senate Watergate Committee. The investigation revealed that President Nixon had a tape-recording system in his offices and that he had recorded many conversations.[6][7]

After a series of court battles, the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously ruled that the president was obliged to release the tapes to government investigators. The tapes revealed that Nixon had attempted to cover up activities that took place after the break-in, and to use federal officials to deflect the investigation.[5][8] Facing virtually certain impeachment in the House of Representatives and equally certain conviction by the Senate, Nixon resigned the presidency on August 9, 1974, preventing the House from impeaching him.[9][10]

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Now imagine that number after the ACA is shot dead

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

oh my sweet lord jesus christ

next derail propsal: should inherited wealth be legal? should people like trump be allowed such amazing opportunities simply because of whose balls they came out of?

In a narrow sense, yes, some inherited wealth should be legal.

Should it be capped? Maybe. Should there be a preposterous progressive tax / tax above a threshold? Almost certainly. If Donald Trump were "only" allowed to receive one million dollars from Fred Trump, he'd still have the crazy-rear end connections and opportunities afforded by being Fred's least-loserly favorite son child.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Harton posted:

It was for a dare from his frat iirc.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

He was endorsed by Vermont Senator and former presidential candidate Bernie Sanders; Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren; columnist and chair of Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign John Podesta; Center for American Progress and Center for American Progress Action Fund President and CEO Neera Tanden; and Khizr and Ghazala Khan.

So what do people on the aggressive left think about this? Do they trust Sanders' opinion or distrust Podesta's more?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

awesmoe posted:

or mueller will investigate and find things and report on them and stuff will happen based on the results of that investigation which takes time?

Counterpoint: we're all dead, the Nazis have won, Heil Trump.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Here is a Thought on the matter of Mattering:

It seems like one of the key issues of how the public and congress will deal with revelations about Trump and clearly illegal behavior is whether we think the reaction will be linear or whether it will follow a more dramatic trajectory at some point.

Like, most people agree that congress has changed its behavior in allowing subpeonas of Republican figures, being willing to stand up to Trump at least in word, and the like. And there has also been a small and noticeable change in Trump's approval rating, including among his base. And all of that is so far with evidence of things that look suspicious but are not clearly criminal.

The question is, if something clearly criminal is revealed, do we just get another linear reaction where McCain goes from disturbed to disappointed, and Trump loses another 4% of public support? Or do things reach a tipping point?

I honestly don't know. My own theory is that, at a certain point, the reaction will change in quality and not just in quantity, but I don't have any evidence for that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is Mueller retired? It's common to use retired people to head up this kind of investigation, both for the combination of seniority and availability but also because they don't need to worry about how this is going to affect their career.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

TyrantWD posted:

Oh OK then

"Mueller’s Investigation of Obstruction of Justice: The Next Steps"

https://www.justsecurity.org/41934/muellers-investigation-obstruction-justice-steps/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

TyrantWD posted:

I can't figure out whether you are trolling or just have not been keeping up.
I have a thread for news about the Russian investigation, which is lower volume than this one, and mostly derail free.

But to recap:

Four members of Trump's campaign team have known, public connections to Moscow, and one of those (Flynn) has admitted to something that is clearly a crime.

At least two members of Trump's campaign/administration have admitted to turning in incorrect information for a security clearance.

The NSA has revealed that Russia actively attacked 39 state voting systems.

Mueller's team is massive, and includes some of the most important criminal investigators in the United States. There is also a simultaneous investigation by the DCIS, although that one has been quiet.

If you are used to the type of Kabuki theater of congressional investigations, the quietness of the Mueller and Pentagon investigations might seem like nothing is going on. And it is possible that nothing is going on, but the lack of leaks from Mueller isn't a sign of that. Its a sign they are doing a thorough, professional job that probably involves lots of legal and financial investigation that doesn't turn into good "leaks".

• Locked thread