Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

^^^^, but with youtube lpers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
HI AGAIN GUYS ITS ME MOLONLABE32 WITH ANOTHER IN-DEPTH LOOK AT HOW FEMINIM IS RUINHING OUR MEDIA

*faaaaaaaart*

MAKE SURE TO HIT LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE AND BE SURE TO CHECK MY PATRION FOR EARLY UPDATES AND EXCLUSIVE CONTENT

KEEP THAT POWDER DRY GUYS

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't understand how some Youtube people make 40 minute videos about why they are disappointed with Ghost Recon Wildlands.

e; they are also always british

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Jun 12, 2017

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I hate how many youtubers clown around in their intros and use goofy voices and jerk around spasmodically as though they think this makes them relatable, especially when it's obviously forced and not their genuine personality. (Also that little "click on the link below" pointing routine they all do.)

This complaint was inspired by a youtuber who is a psychotherapist and makes otherwise decent videos about trauma and recovery. I get that she wants to appear to be chill and approachable to her viewers, but, listen....acting like a teenager about to review their latest Sephora haul and then launching into a serious monologue about coping with having been a parentified child of alcoholics is undermining your message and is, frankly, kind of weird.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
When people basically expect you to make a decision about something for them but you have no little to no knowledge of the context surrounding the decision. This generally happens when the decision is either really huge (and you don't feel comfortable trying to help make it), or really small and inconsequential (and it's like I don't care, just loving decide).

Example: my husband has about 3 lieu hours he can take off. He asked if he should leave early today. I'm like sure, go for it! Cue him sending me a million texts being like "well....it's so busy here today. We're understaffed" and "won't it look bad if I leave? I might get in trouble". Well, then maybe stay and take them some other time? "But I don't waaaaaaant tooooo". Jesus. You are an adult, make up your own goddamn mind about it! I have no loving idea how your work operates and if you'll get in trouble or not! Ugh.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't understand how some Youtube people make 40 minute videos about why they are disappointed with Ghost Recon Wildlands.

e; they are also always british

I've been tempted to complain about overly long opinion videos before. It should not take 30 minutes or more to explain why I should watch a certain anime. I also clicked a 50 minute video about some internet reviewer in the hopes the opening would tell me what was going on but balked when the guy said he intentionally decided to do it in a long form vlog!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This seems like an apt time to bring up my usual youtube-related peeve, in which reference information (poo poo like "what this option in a program does", that sort of thing) that would, if written down, take thirty seconds to look up online, is only available in convenient half-hour video form.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

docbeard posted:

This seems like an apt time to bring up my usual youtube-related peeve, in which reference information (poo poo like "what this option in a program does", that sort of thing) that would, if written down, take thirty seconds to look up online, is only available in convenient half-hour video form.

While we're rehashing common complaints like this:

Recipes that make you scroll through a wall of text to get to the actual recipe. I really do not care that great aunt sally used to make this every labor day and it is the fondest memory of your childhood, and one time the family dog just ate it right off the table, can you believe it? Then one time my grandma ate it and she said it was the most wonderful experience of her entire life and was ready to die a happy woman. She died the next day, and I like to think she is eating this dish in heaven. And so on, and so on forever...

Just loving tell me how to cook it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Recipes that make you scroll through a wall of text to get to the actual recipe. I really do not care that great aunt sally used to make this every labor day and it is the fondest memory of your childhood, and one time the family dog just ate it right off the table, can you believe it? Then one time my grandma ate it and she said it was the most wonderful experience of her entire life and was ready to die a happy woman. She died the next day, and I like to think she is eating this dish in heaven. And so on, and so on forever...

There's a really good reason my favorite line in all of Spaced is "Skip to the end."

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I hate this so much! I just wanted to check the amounts of the ingredients, for gently caress's sake.

Also make up youtubers who insist on going through their entire life story every time they do a swatch video or a look video. I just wanna know if the product is good or not.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

me: *googles how to mash potatoes*

some food blogger: My childhood home was full of wind and light. On a brisk Autumn evening, it often felt as if the outside was in. My younger sister, my mother, our favourite cousin, our dog, our other dog, our dog’s sister, and I would sit on the floor in the living room for hours, lit only by the moon and candlelight

me: *scrolls for several minutes*

some food blogger: It was at that moment, with my tiny hands clasped tightly around a mason jar filled with fireflies, that I realised the true value of family. My dog and my dog’s sister came and sat quietly at my feet. We stared up at the sky together, and I felt truly connected to both the Earth at my feet and the ancestors who shared the blood that ran through them, for the first time realising that

me: *scrolls for several minutes*

some food blogger: and when we finally made it home, our cheeks flushed with laughter and cold, there were warm mashed potatoes waiting for us. I will always remember their fluffiness, perfectly mirroring the light feeling I carried with me for the entire next week. This is my favourite cousin’s recipe from that very day, modified slightly to not be loving awful. Boil an potato and smush it up with fork and botter. NOT A RAW, Salt, pepepr. In it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

New Food Journalism

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

docbeard posted:

This is so awful. It's also poo poo when it's for a game and there ARE written explanations but they're so incomprehensible that you end up having to watch a video, and 99.9% of them are poo poo HAY GUYZ THIS IS ALEXBLAZE420 I'm uh gonna show you uh how to uh do this. Now this is an achievement in the game [whatever] and it seems hard but I'm gonna show you how to do it real easy. Now I'm here in [city] and uh. *walks for 5 minutes* I'm just gonna walk and. *more walking* to the quest location, which is here. Then... [10 more minutes of this... "so [game] is really good I enjoy it blah blah blah"] so then you uh do this uh and [finally does the thing] and there's it is! [achievement pop shows on the screen] so yeah that's how you do it, the [achievement] *usually some more talking* so uh like and subscribe thanks guys

It's impossible to know WHEN the guy actually does the thing so you have to scrub through the video to find where he does it, and sometimes there's an explanation that should take 10 seconds but the guy takes 5 minutes to explain it, or VERY FREQUENTLY explains how to do it 2 min into the video but the actual action is 10 minutes into the video so you have to watch the whole thing. loving waste of my time watching a 10 minute video for something that takes all of 10 seconds to do.

WHYYYYYY the gently caress can't they just start the video at the location, explain what they're doing, do it, the end! The people looking for the achievement know what city the quest starts at/where the location of the thing is/etc. this is especially bad when it's a collecting items achievement, where they talk and talk when it should take 10 seconds to show the drat item location. Thank GOD I found PowerPyx whose videos are literally 10 second clips of the item's location& how to get there, clipped together in one video AND NO TALKING :swoon:. Same with action-related achievements: for example, :siren: SUPER SPOILERS IF YOU HAVENT PLAYED DISHONORED 2 :siren: http://www.powerpyx.com/dishonored-2-trophy-guide-roadmap/ (collecting item achievement videos are near the end of the page)

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Jun 12, 2017

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Thin Privilege posted:

This is so awful. It's also poo poo when it's for a game and there ARE written explanations but they're so incomprehensible that you end up having to watch a video, and 99.9% of them are poo poo HAY GUYZ THIS IS ALEXBLAZE420 I'm uh gonna show you uh how to uh do this. Now this is an achievement in the game [whatever] and it seems hard but I'm gonna show you how to do it real easy. Now I'm here in [city] and uh. *walks for 5 minutes*...

As you detailed, most youtube instructional videos have a complete lack of construction to them:

"...alright guys, here I'm going to show you proof positive that critical hits after a lighting proc causes triple damage. So first I'm going to walk over to an enemy...where are they... <minutes pass> ...ok, so here I'm going to do a lightning strike first and-oh I forgot to equip that, hang on...<minutes pass> ...there we go, and now I hit with the crit and...oh darn it, get back here, I need to hit you...<minutes pass>...well anyway...it's SUPPOSED to work like that...sorry I couldn't show that, hopefully you get the picture."

They have no concept of editing and keep everything raw and uncut; voiceover is done as they play rather than reading a written script over edited footage. It would be fine (well, not really) if it was, like, a comedy of errors and they have a funny personality, but it's just incredibly dry and boring. Most of the time they never actually prove what they are trying to explain in the first place, or if they do, they just speed right by it ("...there, it happened! Did you see that? Anyway...").

But even worse is that sometimes they don't even attempt to give a visual aid at all for what they are explaining and just put some unrelated footage up while they ramble on. What's the point of doing a youtube then if you're not going to use the entire medium? A video should engage in both an audio and visual sense!

FutureCop has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Jun 12, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Sometimes I want to make my own videos because I would make them properly but I'm a FEMALE so no one would watch/listen because they wouldn't believe I can do it (despite the fact that I am very good at video games and do poo poo properly)

..... :females:

E: peeve: that people don't believe that FEMALES can be good at video games. If only they saw my gamerscore and trophy count... but then again, of course they would say my bf must have done them :rolleyes:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anyone that complains about msg in food are assholes

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

Sometimes I want to make my own videos because I would make them properly but I'm a FEMALE so no one would watch/listen because they wouldn't believe I can do it (despite the fact that I am very good at video games and do poo poo properly)

..... :females:

E: peeve: that people don't believe that FEMALES can be good at video games. If only they saw my gamerscore and trophy count... but then again, of course they would say my bf must have done them :rolleyes:

this x10000000000. Also people who assume I can't do other technical poo poo because I present female. I can fix your computer if you give me five minutes with it. Quit trying to make my boyfriend do it, he doesn't even know how to update his drivers.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I had to get my iMac a new power supply at an Apple Store and I met with a female Genius for the first time. She completely hosed up the repair and I had to bring it back to get repaired again and they apologized. Therefore, all women are bad.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Doing anything geek-related as a woman is my pet peeve. Hell, the only kind of geek convention I'd attend at this point would be a strictly no-costume no-media-celebrities information symposium.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fashionably late is a concept for idiots.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

bean_shadow posted:

Lots of people are amused by the poo poo Kaufman pulled but I think it would have been exhausting and irritating to be around him when he pulled this poo poo.

It's not surprising that he got the crap beaten out of him more then once.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Ugh one of my old friends worked tech support for Comcast and no matter how much I demonstrate that I know how to use computers he keeps assuming I'm clueless about the most basic poo poo. The other day he told me to give him my phone so he could show me how to put an address into Google Maps and set it to avoid toll roads. Then he was all smugly watching over my shoulder because I guess he was sure I'd fail and have to give up and ask for help

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Ad with picture of a gay couple. Comments: "I'M SO OFFENDED... those shoes don't go with that outfit teehee!" LOL I made you steel yourself for yet another example of the widespread public hatred for people like you which can make you feel unsafe in real life but it was just a prank bro I'm hilarious!!!

e: it wouldn't be so bad if the actual jokes were ever, even once, funny

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 03:35 on Jun 13, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I like how you're fashionably late in quoting this (correct) opinion from 4 months ago.

Peeve related to women in "geek" roles: when they jump down your throat over misunderstandings, like when I ask one working at best buy if they can answer my questions about whatever thing I am buying, I am not challenging them and making them prove themselves or asking them to go get a man. I just want to know, because I always get blown off by best buy people if they work in another department, so I just ask right away so they can say "no, you'll have to ask someone else". I can sympathize (empathize?) because I'm sure people do that pretty frequently, but still, I would think tone and body language etc would be enough to tell if someone is trying to be sexist or is just asking a question.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I would think tone and body language etc would be enough to tell if someone is trying to be sexist or is just asking a question.

you'd think, but a surprising amount of assholes are really good at seeming like they aren't assholes. I like to believe the best of everyone until proven otherwise, so more often than not, someone I think is just being friendly/clarifying is being an rear end in a top hat.

Also people who think being friendly=flirting. I'm not flirting with you, creepy security guard guy. I'm just generally a pretty friendly person and I like to be nice to people. Please stop trying to hit on me.

I've had to report that guy twice now because he's getting really pushy and weird. I just wanna get my groceries and leave. :smith:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Here are our rules you must follow for your password:

- a capital letter
- a lower case letter
- twelve underscores
- at least three currency symbols (third world countries only)
- the phrase "azlabeet" somewhere in it

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
-can't be a password you've ever used in your entire lifetime

edit:

sorry, your new password is too similar to one of your old passwords. please try a new password.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

must be 23 characters long

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Your password has expired and you cannot reset your password online, please call us to get a new password. No we don't care that it's an international call that you will have to pay out the rear end for while you wait 45 minutes on hold.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Minecraft requires you to answer three security questions to use your own skin if you get a new computer, and like a shitton of tech companies who don't loving THINK while crafting those security questions, the questions are very bullshit. They let you pick three from their list instead of forcing everyone to use three specific ones, but they include poo poo like your mother's maiden name and other things that are intensely personal and used by actual banks and governments and poo poo to verify your identity and shouldn't be gathered by loving Minecraft

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
God, all I want with those convoluted password requirements is for them to just show me what the hell they are when I click 'forgot password'.

I don't know if that's a huge security risk or something, but it's just infuriating when I try what I think is the password I made for that site, give up, go to reset it, and THEN have my memory jogged because this is the only site I go to that requires 15 characters and a dollar sign or whatever.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

In addition to what Thin Privilege said I also hate game guides that include lovely jokes and unnecessary plot summaries. Just tell me to talk to the character. Don't tell me what they say or what's going on; I will see that in the game. Most guides end up being very wordy despite the authors best efforts, they don't need padding. I've thought of doing a laconic game guide but it would basically be plagurism of a guide I find too wordy. I can't do that for my own use because after the fact I no longer need it and if I did it before playing I'd be spoiling it for myself. Also, sane people tend not want to include editing a 200+ page document as preparation for playing a game and I'd have to concur with them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My personal favorite variant:

YOUR PASSWORD HAS EXPIRED. PLEASE ENTER YOUR NEW PASSWORD.

YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY CHANGED YOUR PASSWORD. PLEASE LOG IN AGAIN

I'M SORRY,I DON'T RECOGNIZE THAT PASSWORD

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hate when they don't let you see your password and tell if you've made a typo because of those dumb ubiquitous stars or dots. I cannot ever, ever think of a situation in which some fiend has been craning over me to see my netflix password or whatever only to be foiled by its illegibility. If they're getting my password it's because its a hack and the dots won't save me or anyone else whose account is compromised.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Replace all passwords with Touch ID please. thanks

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Current peeve: used-car salesman tactics.

Dear Comcast rep: When I open up a support chat with you for our annual battle for internet service pricing, I will ask you questions. When I ask you a question, what you should do is then answer that question. THAT question. This will result in an interaction that, while it may not be pleasant or result in a perfect outcome for either of us, will at least not make me want to close the window in frustration and will directly contribute to a reasonably high rating in the post-chat survey.

:shobon: Hi, my bill shot up, can I get a promotion or something so I'm paying a reasonable rate again?
:buddy: (2 paragraphs of copypaste boilerplate stepford-wife white noise)
:buddy: I have a promotion for you, it's a tiny bit less than your current bill (which just went up by 50%) and it gets you all this extra poo poo like triple your current speed and TV and HBO GO and and and.
:shobon: That all sounds nice, but are there any other promotions, specifically something with less speed (I'm not going to use all that) and/or just internet service? I'm not interested in TV service etc.
:buddy: The promotion I offered you is really great, Che! It's way faster and has all this TV stuff and it's still less than what you're paying now! (because we shot your old rate straight up into the air with a railgun)
:raise:

I'm fairly loving certain I didn't ask, "Is the thing you just told me about really great?? How great is it really??? CAN WE JERK OFF TOGETHER?" Every goddamn question I asked he didn't answer until I insisted or asked it again. I ask these questions because this is a long-term service agreement, not the last-minute impulse-buy rack at the supermarket; I want a plan that fits my use profile for preferably a decent price.

Related peeve: decent pricing for new customers and a cornholeing for existing customers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Che Delilas posted:

Current peeve: used-car salesman tactics.

Dear Comcast rep: When I open up a support chat with you for our annual battle for internet service pricing, I will ask you questions. When I ask you a question, what you should do is then answer that question. THAT question. This will result in an interaction that, while it may not be pleasant or result in a perfect outcome for either of us, will at least not make me want to close the window in frustration and will directly contribute to a reasonably high rating in the post-chat survey.

:shobon: Hi, my bill shot up, can I get a promotion or something so I'm paying a reasonable rate again?
:buddy: (2 paragraphs of copypaste boilerplate stepford-wife white noise)
:buddy: I have a promotion for you, it's a tiny bit less than your current bill (which just went up by 50%) and it gets you all this extra poo poo like triple your current speed and TV and HBO GO and and and.
:shobon: That all sounds nice, but are there any other promotions, specifically something with less speed (I'm not going to use all that) and/or just internet service? I'm not interested in TV service etc.
:buddy: The promotion I offered you is really great, Che! It's way faster and has all this TV stuff and it's still less than what you're paying now! (because we shot your old rate straight up into the air with a railgun)
:raise:

I'm fairly loving certain I didn't ask, "Is the thing you just told me about really great?? How great is it really??? CAN WE JERK OFF TOGETHER?" Every goddamn question I asked he didn't answer until I insisted or asked it again. I ask these questions because this is a long-term service agreement, not the last-minute impulse-buy rack at the supermarket; I want a plan that fits my use profile for preferably a decent price.

Related peeve: decent pricing for new customers and a cornholeing for existing customers.

I did tech support for comcast, you have to hit the company bullet points or you lose out on raises and bonuses.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Also used to work at a call center- if we didn't follow the script, we'd be written up and possibly fired. The person on the other end doesn't like it any more than you do.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I'm fully aware that tier 1 tech support has that complete absence of free will ("Let's restart your machine. Let's power cycle your modem. Let's install drivers. Now that we've done all that, I can tell you that someone dug up our backbone with a steam shovel and the whole neighborhood is having an outage right now."). Wasn't certain if the billing/customer retention reps have any more leeway, though it wouldn't surprise me if they don't have any.

Which is why I'm polite when I deal with the reps themselves. Still can't get a decent rate without threats to cancel, which is the root of my gripe, but the used-car sales tactics were particularly pushy this time and sort of surprised me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

People who talk about politics using Harry Potter metaphors are the dirt loving worst.