Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

it's almost like a significantly lower barrier to entry for game development in general results in potential game devs cropping up from unexpected non-typical places and it's pretty backwards if you as a company don't tap the potential resource of people who are so hardcore into your IP that they'll literally do things for free and manage to turn out better results than the devs you've actually hired :shrug:

I'm not saying it's a great system, or even a good one, but it's the one they've had in place for a while now, through the bad and the good times getting and training younger devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's very very common in Western game development for people to be recruited from among modders and fan game makers, or even just prominent players. Especially in companies that focus on PC games.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I had this weird dream that Nintendo announced 2 metroid games today

like, I'm not even the biggest metroid fan but it was weird.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Imagined posted:

It's very very common in Western game development for people to be recruited from among modders and fan game makers, or even just prominent players. Especially in companies that focus on PC games.

From what I understand that comes after they've spent a lot of time working with and communicating with the company that hires them first. Even stuff like DOTA taking on a life of its own likely had a lengthy pitching and interview process.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Zelder posted:

Fusion and zero mission are good games, Brent

These 2 and Prime are legit in my top 10 of all time.

The exceptionally done, accessible but not easy Metroid games are very good.

Same for BotW and A Link Between Worlds.

(The others would be MGS3: Snake Eater, Dead Space, RE 2, Last of Us, and DOOM '16)

DON'T @ ME

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

CuddlyZombie posted:

Putting in the scan system can be detrimental because if the developer takes it for granted they may create secrets without tells. It's different from powerbombs or the Super Metroid scanner because generally, you won't pull out the scanner or the powerbomb (which prevent you from shooting/use up resources) unless you already suspect a secret is there. The scan system sounds more passive.

Scan Pulse is an Aeion ability; it uses Aeion to use and need to collect orbs to refill it. It seems kinda generous in the demo, but it *is* a resource like power bombs.

It also looks just about as passive as power bombs were. They both cover only a specific portion around the player and would need to be used/reused over and over to uncover everything. As for not powerbombing unless you suspected a secret, man my childhood days in SM/fusion beg to differ.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

A whole lot of angry nerds in here, angry over design decisions in hindsight.
Lots of great games announced the last three days, be happy ya'll.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Pull up thread we had such a good day with everyone's coolest uncle, Nintendo.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Ventana posted:

Scan Pulse is an Aeion ability; it uses Aeion to use and need to collect orbs to refill it. It seems kinda generous in the demo, but it *is* a resource like power bombs.

It also looks just about as passive as power bombs were. They both cover only a specific portion around the player and would need to be used/reused over and over to uncover everything. As for not powerbombing unless you suspected a secret, man my childhood days in SM/fusion beg to differ.

I mean, I suppose so. I feel like it will come down to factors like how long the scan lasts and how much Aeion it consumes.

Or, more to the point, how well secrets are hidden while still having tells that don't require Aeion. It could be fine, but it could also be an annoying upkeep thing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Please give me the Zeldamobile, rocket league.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I mean I think what they've shown so far for the Metroid 2 remake seems really fun. Lots of small but neat decisions to make the game slightly easier to play, retains normal Metroid mechanics/level design/speed. Nothing seems obtrusive. All early so it could fall apart, but so far so good

CuddlyZombie posted:

I mean, I suppose so. I feel like it will come down to factors like how long the scan lasts and how much Aeion it consumes.

Or, more to the point, how well secrets are hidden while still having tells that don't require Aeion. It could be fine, but it could also be an annoying upkeep thing.

Yeah I agree. And like I try to point out before, it seems like the cost for the Scan Pulse is pretty low, maybe about 1/10th of the bar was used for a single pulse. The Lightning armor seemed to drain it fast though, so maybe it'll even out.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 14, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Against my better judgement I have continued to scour Twitter to find many a salty Samus Returns takes, 95% percent of them salty for seemingly the same reason.

They all pretty much read the same:

https://twitter.com/Mitometa/status/874805151323873280
https://twitter.com/Alvin_Earthworm/status/874732195113558016

And so on and so forth.

https://twitter.com/Alvin_Earthworm/status/874731226560696320

Hmmm yes why would Nintendo C&D a fan project that people could play for free instead of the game they spent money remaking. :thunk:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
On the whole scan pulse thing: I grew up with megroid fusion and zero mission as the 2d metroids I grew up playing, and the map always told you if there were uncollected items in rooms that were visited, or if you had gotten the items in a room.
Scan pulse sounds like a variation of that mechanic. And in the prime games, having the scan visor on frequently revealed all the hidden entrances to rooms and powerups by highlighting the interactable objects and their composition.
Really, scan pulse is not that bad.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Walk into room -> hit scan button, isn't my idea of exploration. Based on the demo the resource to do this seemed easily obtainable. This even shows neighbooring rooms/secrets, as opposed to just highlighting destructible walls in the current room, like the scanner in Super Metroid did. Thus removing any need for actually thinking when traversing (as long as you have that yellow resource).

Don't get me wrong, I think the game looks great overall, but the exploration aspect is probably my favorite part of Metroid, and this feature seems to greatly reduce the sense of accomplishment derived from it.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I'm just mad the 3D video of Samus Returns isn't on the 3DS eshop yet

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

.TakaM posted:

I'm just mad the 3D video of Samus Returns isn't on the 3DS eshop yet

It is, it's listed separately from the E3 trailers

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hmmm yes why would Nintendo C&D a fan project that people could play for free instead of the game they spent money remaking. :thunk:

Surely the creator of uh, *puts on bifocals, squints at screen* Super Mario Bros. Z understands that even giant videogame corporations like Nintendo need more than 10 months to make a video game right

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

uncle blog posted:

Walk into room -> hit scan button, isn't my idea of exploration. Based on the demo the resource to do this seemed easily obtainable. This even shows neighbooring rooms/secrets, as opposed to just highlighting destructible walls in the current room, like the scanner in Super Metroid did. Thus removing any need for actually thinking when traversing (as long as you have that yellow resource).

Don't get me wrong, I think the game looks great overall, but the exploration aspect is probably my favorite part of Metroid, and this feature seems to greatly reduce the sense of accomplishment derived from it.

this should go without saying and i understand it doesn't completely alleviate your concerns, but it is your choice to not press the scan button unless you really really think you want to.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Where can I watch the E3 presentation? I didn't find anything other than highlights on YT and one video eight hours long that wouldn't let me skip past four hours.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I really hope that someday they do an Oddessy presentation where Mario throws his cap toward the camera and possesses one of the presenters.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

a7m2 posted:

Where can I watch the E3 presentation? I didn't find anything other than highlights on YT and one video eight hours long that wouldn't let me skip past four hours.

It's on the Nintendo youtube channel.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Surely the creator of uh, *puts on bifocals, squints at screen* Super Mario Bros. Z understands that even giant videogame corporations like Nintendo need more than 10 months to make a video game right

Considering it took him literal years to make new installments of a sprite based animation, you'd think he'd be more self aware.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

a7m2 posted:

It's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2mZS_p4A7Y

But there was also stuff that was premiered after that video.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ariong posted:

I really hope that someday they do an Oddessy presentation where Mario throws his cap toward the camera and possesses one of the presenters.

Bill Trinnen's eyes roll back as he bellows in a distorted voice, "IT'S-A ME"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Evil Fluffy posted:

someone please wedgie these nerds

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Evil Fluffy posted:

this gotta be a joke lol

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

quote:

A freelance digital artist/animator and the original creator of the sprite fanimation series known as Super Mario Bros. Z.

:thunk:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't get it. Metroid for years has had fans screaming "WE WANT THIS SERIES REVIVED!!! PLEASE, NEW METROID NINTENDO!"

Nintendo finally announces 2 and the first reaction to one of them from the same fans is "lol why should I pay for it when I can play fan games :D".

I wasn't a fan of DMCA'ing projects but kinda making it valid now.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't get it. Metroid for years has had fans screaming "WE WANT THIS SERIES REVIVED!!! PLEASE, NEW METROID NINTENDO!"

Nintendo finally announces 2 and the first reaction to one of them from the same fans is "lol why should I pay for it when I can play fan games :D".

but the jim stlering man son said it was ok to pirate nintendo games

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm pretty sure you're describing a small portion of the fanbase I hope.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Pharohman777 posted:

On the whole scan pulse thing: I grew up with megroid fusion and zero mission as the 2d metroids I grew up playing, and the map always told you if there were uncollected items in rooms that were visited, or if you had gotten the items in a room.
Scan pulse sounds like a variation of that mechanic. And in the prime games, having the scan visor on frequently revealed all the hidden entrances to rooms and powerups by highlighting the interactable objects and their composition.
Really, scan pulse is not that bad.

This is pretty much my take, and I go back to Super Metroid and to a lesser extent Metroid 2. In Super Metroid you'd use a power bomb if you suspected there was something there and it would show you everything in the immediate area unless there was some secret passage that has no destroyable blocks and was just covered up with foreground. And like power bombs, it doesn't look like scan pulse is the sort of thing you just drop everywhere you haven't been yet. I imagine there will be plenty of situations in the Metroid 2 remake where using it could uncover some new stuff, but you don't think to do it because you've already uncovered all (or so you think) of the map in some area or another. You'll use it when you're suspicious about an empty square on the map between a few rooms you've already been in. Fusion's handholding was way more annoying to me, and I still came to like that game for what it was- Zero Mission was better about it though.

Gonna have a hard time deciding between ARMS and Splatoon :saddowns:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Calaveron posted:

I suggest looking up a little game called Dragon Age 2.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

what a lot of people don't seem to realize there is still an active and very open modding community for both Pokemon and games like Metroid

what got AM2R and Uranium DMCA'd was them poising themselves to compete with product Nintendo was intending to put out, either by literally being the same game, or the press they were drumming up as alternatives to existing titles, like Uranium.

also

Uranium was an unbalanced mess full of terrible designs and gameplay and it deserved to die

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/kslackie/status/874762802266742784

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Lemming posted:

It is, it's listed separately from the E3 trailers
it must be a regional thing because it's not there on my 3DS.

Just for the record and as a huge Metroid fan I'm very happy with the new games announced and what was shown.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

TFRazorsaw posted:

what a lot of people don't seem to realize there is still an active and very open modding community for both Pokemon and games like Metroid

what got AM2R and Uranium DMCA'd was them poising themselves to compete with product Nintendo was intending to put out, either by literally being the same game, or the press they were drumming up as alternatives to existing titles, like Uranium.

also

Uranium was an unbalanced mess full of terrible designs and gameplay and it deserved to die

Also use of Zero Mission and Fusion assets in AM2R's case. I've never seen Uranium but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same deal.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

A reminder that when the Super Mario Crossover guy wanted to make a game that they could actually, you know sell, they did this.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=825074684

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Bread Liar
It's really frustrating that Nintendo is holding me back from creating my own unique, original fan project, which I've dubbed Super Smash Bros Deluxe. Eat poo poo assholes

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Captain Toad 2 better come out or I'll! I'll! ... I'll be sad, just like I am about the Pikmin 4 delays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bloodychill posted:

I suggest looking up a little game called Dragon Age 2.

Dragon Age 2 isn't a video game, it's a cry for the sweet release of death.

• Locked thread