Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/874816075522859008

beyond parody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Someone needs to lock McConnell (and preferably most other Republicans) in the congressional bathroom forever

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
To be fair to Obamacare's legislative strategy, it looks like regulations such as guaranteed issue, community rating, and essential health benefits can't be repealed without 60 votes in the Senate, which is a major impediment to GOP repeal efforts. I know some conservatives are harping on legislative mumbo-jumbo about Pence being able to waive away those rules, but if they abandon the 60-vote threshold for passing healthcare bills, Democrats are definitely pushing through the public option if not single payer next time they get a simple Senate majority.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

JesusSinfulHands posted:

To be fair to Obamacare's legislative strategy, it looks like regulations such as guaranteed issue, community rating, and essential health benefits can't be repealed without 60 votes in the Senate, which is a major impediment to GOP repeal efforts. I know some conservatives are harping on legislative mumbo-jumbo about Pence being able to waive away those rules, but if they abandon the 60-vote threshold for passing healthcare bills, Democrats are definitely pushing through the public option if not single payer next time they get a simple Senate majority.

yeah, about that. ask Nancy Pelosi about if single payer is ever going to happen, the answer may surprise you.

it is important we be rational, centrist, and reasonable about a Democratic health care bill, by which of course I mean "let Blue Cross/Blue Shield write the entire goddamned thing, what's the worst that could happen, we lose literally every level of government to a senile game show host running on a platform of gently caress The Mexicans?"

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Someone needs to lock McConnell (and preferably most other Republicans) in the congressional bathroom forever

I am running out of space on my bar for all the bottles I'm going to open when a specific R politician dies.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Someone needs to lock McConnell (and preferably most other Republicans) in the congressional bathroom Sing Sing forever

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Single payer is not Democrat policy.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hastings posted:

Hot drat, the American public is done and over with this nonsense. Good luck getting the Senate to okay this and killing their careers. It is amazing that the GOP ever thought they could get away with being so brazen. Even Satan is looking at them and saying, "Now come on, don't you think this is a little too evil?"

Was May so long ago? :smith:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also it only "required" 60 votes because the senate still pretended its rules mattered. McConnel doesn't give a gently caress about norms and will change rules if dems try to block anything at all.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also it only "required" 60 votes because the senate still pretended its rules mattered. McConnel doesn't give a gently caress about norms and will change rules if dems try to block anything at all.

I think pretend is the operative word here. Next time Democrats control the Senate, no such pretense should be maintained.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Dan Didio posted:

Single payer is not Democrat policy.

quote:

In a sign of shifting sympathies, most House Democrats have now endorsed a single-payer proposal. Party strategists say they expect that the 2020 presidential nominee will embrace a broader version of public health coverage than any Democratic standard-bearer has in decades.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/03/us/democrats-universal-health-care-single-payer-party.html

MooselanderII posted:

I think pretend is the operative word here. Next time Democrats control the Senate, no such pretense should be maintained.

Yup, that's what I was getting at. If Senate Republicans commit political seppuku by passing AHCA, and especially through questionable legislative maneuvers in order to do so, Democrats would just be able to pass whatever they want with 50 votes next time they have the Senate.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It's very unlikely that Republicans abolish the filibuster, but Democrats absolutely should in 2020.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
They won't and Dean already poo-pooed on the idea that they ever even bothered to try getting Lieberman on board, it's a useful story at best. The centrists of both party need the legislative filibuster.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Agnosticnixie posted:

Dean already poo-pooed on the idea that they ever even bothered to try getting Lieberman on board, it's a useful story at best

that's wrong and stupid

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

evilweasel posted:

It's very unlikely that Republicans abolish the filibuster, but Democrats absolutely should in 2020.

I have no doubt whatsoever that if they have 50 votes for the senate AHCA that they cannot pass via reconciliation that they will kill the filibuster over it.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have no doubt whatsoever that if they have 50 votes for the senate AHCA that they cannot pass via reconciliation that they will kill the filibuster over it.

The filibuster is a structural advantage for conservative (big C/little c) politics, and you have enough people in the Senate who remember that.

Democrats, broadly, want to pass new legislation, new programs, new benefits. The GOP, broadly, wants to roll those things back while passing tax reform cuts. They benefit from procedural tricks that delay or smother the legislative process in a way that Democrats do not.

Dems can expand government faster and more thoroughly than Rs can cut it. Same reason the GOP can force shutdowns but the incentives don't align for Dems to retaliate.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

They don't need to abolish the filibuster, they can just have the presiding officer rule that whatever they want falls under reconciliation.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

evilweasel posted:

that's wrong and stupid

werent you in here like a month ago saying that there was no way anything close to the house bill passed the senate?

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

They don't need to abolish the filibuster, they can just have the presiding officer rule that whatever they want falls under reconciliation.

Only 1 such bill a year.

But the entire point is that the rules can be changed in arbitrary ways by a simple majority of the senate. Going your route means the filibuster is dead but the rules are even more arcane.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

evilweasel posted:

that's wrong and stupid

turn on your monitor

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

Even that's not in their interests. Most Republican priorities can be done through reconciliation while following the rules. Most Democratic priorities can't. Plus, ignoring the reconciliation rules like that may not be exactly the same as abolishing the filibuster but it's basically the same thing. It'd be like when Democrats abolished the judicial filibuster, except for Supreme Court nominees. Everyone knew that, in practice, abolishing the filibuster for all other nominees meant Republicans would abolish it for any Supreme Court nominee. They probably would have anyway, but they would have had a more difficult time with it - but while some Republican senators might have considered keeping the judicial filibuster entirely they weren't going to keep it, but just for the important stuff.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So how long do we think it will be between the Senate passing their bill and the conference bill coming to a final vote? Once the Senate votes on their AHCA, I have to assume the media silence will end and it will dominate the news and finally get people angry.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So how long do we think it will be between the Senate passing their bill and the conference bill coming to a final vote? Once the Senate votes on their AHCA, I have to assume the media silence will end and it will dominate the news and finally get people angry.

Depends on how quickly the two houses agree to the changes and if they have planned/negotiated beforehand.

They could theoretically do it all in a day or the conference committee could kill the bill.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

They also don't have to do a conference committee, the House could just pass the Senate bill. The only real deadline is that the bill has to be passed by sometime in September so they can line up the next reconciliation bill.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The problem with abolishing the filibuster is that republicans will just abolish whatever democrats do the next time they're in power and major sectors of the economy will change every four years.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

The problem with abolishing the filibuster is that republicans will just abolish whatever democrats do the next time they're in power and major sectors of the economy will change every four years.

The country doesn't change from complete one-party control to complete other-party control that often.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

They also don't have to do a conference committee, the House could just pass the Senate bill. The only real deadline is that the bill has to be passed by sometime in September so they can line up the next reconciliation bill.

That slipped my mind, but there's also a chance that the Tortilla boys will demand some kind of change, forcing Republican Senators to take a vote with some public heat. Either way, though, the more time between the bill finally being released to the public and the final vote the better.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Arglebargle III posted:

Whereas if the filibuster remains in place, they'll do something different; for example,

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

evilweasel posted:

The country doesn't change from complete one-party control to complete other-party control that often.

Not every four years, but more often than I'm comfortable with. We're already in the shitter because everything filibuster-proof that happened under Obama is being repealed, I don't see how it's to the Republicans' advantage that the filibuster prevents doing even more damage.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

yeah, about that. ask Nancy Pelosi about if single payer is ever going to happen, the answer may surprise you.

it is important we be rational, centrist, and reasonable about a Democratic health care bill, by which of course I mean "let Blue Cross/Blue Shield write the entire goddamned thing, what's the worst that could happen, we lose literally every level of government to a senile game show host running on a platform of gently caress The Mexicans?"

Don't blame insurance companies for how terribly ACA was written, it was all "public health policy" people. Not a single Actuary authored that thing.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Well, regardless of this thread's fight over the shutdown strategy, the Democrats are going for it. God willing the press starts paying some attention now.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 19, 2017

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
PSA from 1949 describing the value of a Public Health Service. Costs all of $.03 a week for the average man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ESmHv2h50s

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Reik posted:

Don't blame insurance companies for how terribly ACA was written, it was all "public health policy" people. Not a single Actuary authored that thing.

Well, to be fair, I don't think most large insurance companies are run by actuaries.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

Well, to be fair, I don't think most large insurance companies are run by actuaries.

The previous CFO where I work was an Actuary. Not sure how many make it to CEO.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Reik posted:

The previous CFO where I work was an Actuary. Not sure how many make it to CEO.

CFO and CRO are probably actuaries half the time, but that's probably the limit. I don't know how much the CFO directly influences the company's public policy lobbyists.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/mhackman/status/876916947912343552

I mean...

A little rushed, isn't it?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Well when you ripoff the band aid, you want it to be quick don't you?

And by band aid I mean knife and by ripoff I mean stabbed repeatedly in the face.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Probably not rushed enough. They only gave themselves a single news cycle and Trump will do at least one major fuckup during that time.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Well, that timeline would at least give like four to six days for the public to review it which is at least like 50x longer than expected. Still, uh, monstrous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Yeah I thought that they were trying to make it so the public only had a matter of hours to review things.