Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Skwirl posted:

I'm not sure how true that can be since doesn't RDJ show up in a post credit scene in the Edward Norton Incredible Hulk?

Which came after Iron Man 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Aside from Robert Downey Jr. none of the leads in Marvel films were a major name in Hollywood before being in a Marvel film

I'd only consider Robert Downey Jr. a bigger name than Edward Norton because of Iron Man and the other opportunities that brought him. Norton, Paul Rudd, Mark Ruffalo, and Benedict Cumberbatch had all starred in studio pictures before appearing in the MCU.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Not the way the Federation treats ships in Star Trek. Kirk says more than once that the Enterprise is prepared for battle but that isn't the ship's primary purpose. The Galaxy class (the -D) are referred to as dreadnoughts a couple of times, but combat isn't what the ships are designed for and Starfleet officers usually get annoyed when non-Federation people refer to Starfleet ships with military terminology like destroyers and battlecruisers.

There's some talk about in DS9 that the Federation designs ships to be modular. It's mentioned a few times in the lead-in to the Dominion War that Starfleet is recalling much of the fleet and refitting ships for combat rather than their normal tasks.

The Enterprise being a warship defeats the entire theme and aims of the villain in Beyond, for one. Starfleet's whole thing is that they've moved beyond being a military organization crewing warships and that Starfleet ships are built for exploration and scientific research and humanitarian aid. They go armed, of course, because it's a dangerous galaxy, but only in times of crisis does Starfleet evacuate the civilians from their ships, replace the science labs with shield generators, and exchange the data collection probes for more photon torpedoes.

The federation gets annoyed by that because it's like telling the US that Vietnam wasn't a police action, that we aren't peace-keeping in Afghanistan. The feds are maintaining an expire of ideas. They don't hold systems but they hold up the prime directive, by force if necessary. And it's usually necessary.

The fact that their exploratory vessels while less armed and armored than they could be still outclass everything but the second-galaxy (Romulans, Klingons, later Cardies and a bunch more) is evidence that they're using other cultures for their proxy wars.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'd only consider Robert Downey Jr. a bigger name than Edward Norton because of Iron Man and the other opportunities that brought him. Norton, Paul Rudd, Mark Ruffalo, and Benedict Cumberbatch had all starred in studio pictures before appearing in the MCU.

Also, Norton's career had largely petered out by then. He was one of those 'whatever happened to that guy?' kind of stories. Amazing start to his career, but a rapid slowdown afterwards.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, Norton's career had largely petered out by then. He was one of those 'whatever happened to that guy?' kind of stories. Amazing start to his career, but a rapid slowdown afterwards.
He was mainly a punchline in the early 2000s.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Norton was also apparently a huge cockwad during Incredible Hulk and drove the Director crazy with his need for control of the film.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

FilthyImp posted:

Norton was also apparently a huge cockwad during Incredible Hulk and drove the Director crazy with his need for control of the film.

to be fair to Norton, I think it's in his contract that he was allowed a certain amount of control (probably also allowed to be a cockwad I dunno) and then Marvel kinda hosed him over

Also, Paul Rudd is probably the biggest name lead that Marvel has ever cast (since Scarlett Johansson was never a title character). Norton and Downey were persona non grata for the most part, Hemsworth was a complete unknown, Evans was a bit player, Cumberbatch was a nerd favorite, Pratt was a TV star, Boseman was an underrated actor and Larson was an Oscar winner who most people didn't know a year before she won it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if Ghost in the Shell killed any chance of a Black Widow movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I suddenly sympathise with all those people who thought Sinbad played a genie in a movie, because I know that's not true but all of the internet tells me it is..

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I suddenly sympathise with all those people who thought Sinbad played a genie in a movie, because I know that's not true but all of the internet tells me it is..

Nothing to worry about, simply the Mandela Effect!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I have the same thing, specific to the Marvel movies, where I keep forgetting about Iron Man 2. In my head, every now and then, Thor and Captain America were the next Marvel movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Skwirl posted:

It probably doesn't help that the Ang Lee Hulk came out only 5 years prior.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

xeria posted:

I wouldn't so much say that THAT'S what's really desperate about the concept, though they are definitely banking almost entirely on Tom Cruise selling this movie/that cinematic universe kick-off. The same can't really be said of Johnny Depp as the Invisible Man; he's certainly rolled out his share of poo poo movies and isn't necessarily a guaranteed box office draw unless it's a Pirates movie.

And even then the Pirates movies peaked back in 2006 on the domestic front and have been drawing less and less of a crowd ever since. The foreign markets still lap it up though, the current Pirates film is currently doing better in China than it is in North America and they usually do even better in Japan.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So apparently they're made four Dragonheart movies? Netflix had one o assumed was the third in it's new stuff category but nope turns out that's movie 4.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Len posted:

So apparently they're made four Dragonheart movies? Netflix had one o assumed was the third in it's new stuff category but nope turns out that's movie 4.

There's talk of a remake/reboot, the guy who wrote the last two direct-to-DVD sequels hinted on Twitter that they're an attempt to keep the IP in the public eye and build support for a new big budget film.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ruddiger posted:

I wonder if Ghost in the Shell killed any chance of a Black Widow movie.

I doubt it would have any real effect. I don't know why people keep making live action animes thinking this will be the one that appeals to more than just the niche anime crowd.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's talk of a remake/reboot, the guy who wrote the last two direct-to-DVD sequels hinted on Twitter that they're an attempt to keep the IP in the public eye and build support for a new big budget film.

Oh good, a Dragonheart movie years after people stopped giving a poo poo about dragons.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Isn't Game of thrones kind of a big deal? That had dragons, right?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sportsgenius86 posted:

I doubt it would have any real effect. I don't know why people keep making live action animes thinking this will be the one that appeals to more than just the niche anime crowd.

I blame The Matrix. It's not like they've ever had any success with any of the actual anime adaptations they've tried so far, Dragonball Evolution and Speed Racer were the only recent attempts before Ghost In The Shell and they were terrible box office failures as well. But for some reason they're still busting a hump trying to adapt Akira, Battle Angel Alita, Bleach and Naruto for US audiences.

There's a Death Note film coming out in August but that'll be on Netflix.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Isn't Game of thrones kind of a big deal? That had dragons, right?

You're probably right and I'm exaggerating, it's just that the last Hobbit movie felt like a tombstone on the whole fantasy fad. Game of Thrones still is going strong though, so I have no idea.

A better reason to do a Dragonheart remake/reboot would be 90's nostalgia, probably.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Game of Thrones has a lot going on other than dragons, too. Like, is anyone's favourite part the dragons? They're there, kind of a means to an end, but they're absolutely outshone by Peter Dinklage and ice zombies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I asked because I literally didn't know if dragon's were a major part of it. My entire GoT.txt compendium of information I have in my head is " Peter Dinklage, naked ladies, red wedding, HODOR"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Apart from the rest of the Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them films there's hardly any fantasy movies scheduled to come out in the next few years that I can think of. Disney's got another live action fairytale adaptation booked in for August 2018 and there's that Max Landis orc cop Netflix film later this year. There's probably something obvious that I'm missing.

Edit: there's another How To Train Your Dragon film coming in 2019, I think.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's also more Narnia movies supposedly coming.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A month after

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

A month after

But it began production like a year and a half after RDJ was cast as Stark, long after Marvel was more than satisfied he wasn't going to be a hellbringer.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Narnia's one (two) dragons were in Dawn Treader. Not a lot of high fantasy coming up real soon. Some gnomes and get this, an evil queen in the next one though so stay tuned.

(more evil queens tba)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Grendels Dad posted:

You're probably right and I'm exaggerating, it's just that the last Hobbit movie felt like a tombstone on the whole fantasy fad..

A billion dollar tombstone. Yeah, the movie made a ton of money.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There are dragons in Transformers this year.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The MSJ posted:

There are dragons in Transformers this year.

Just the one, and it's apparently an Autobot combiner.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this! posted:

Warner Bros/Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast are also keen on casting a Raise Dead spell on the Dungeons & Dragons franchise
https://www.polygon.com/2016/10/19/13334400/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-director-script

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

I blame The Matrix. It's not like they've ever had any success with any of the actual anime adaptations they've tried so far, Dragonball Evolution and Speed Racer were the only recent attempts before Ghost In The Shell and they were terrible box office failures as well. But for some reason they're still busting a hump trying to adapt Akira, Battle Angel Alita, Bleach and Naruto for US audiences.

There's a Death Note film coming out in August but that'll be on Netflix.

It's not like Western remakes of foreign films are never successful, and with regards to Japanese pop culture specifically, the trail of bread crumbs probably goes back, not to The Matrix, but to The Ring.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Honestly, it wont work and theyd be better of making a magic the gathering film quintology where each film is a different color of magics planeswalkers origin story and then the sixth film, Gold, can be the team up movie.

Ill take my .01% cut of gross now.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hear they want to give Golden Compass a second shot too lmbo

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ruddiger posted:

They already squandered the best cast they were going to get for that. On the other hand the followup series starts coming out this fall, a full 8 years after Pullman said it would.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ruddiger posted:

As a BBC series.

Warner Bros/Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast are also keen on casting a Raise Dead spell on the Dungeons & Dragons franchise
https://www.polygon.com/2016/10/19/13334400/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-director-script

The only options are to either include Vin Diesel or walk blindfolded and naked into the Tomb of Horrors.

I hope they adapt Expedition to Barrier Peak. MTV's Shannara series is really slow getting to the robots vs druid fight.

Cythereal posted:

Just the one, and it's apparently an Autobot combiner.

The toyline have at least one more dragon robot, and one devil robot made out of several dragon-like robots.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I asked because I literally didn't know if dragon's were a major part of it. My entire GoT.txt compendium of information I have in my head is " Peter Dinklage, naked ladies, red wedding, HODOR"

Dragons in Game of Thrones are basically nuclear bombs. They're bigass weapons, not really characters.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Peanut President posted:

Dragons in Game of Thrones are basically nuclear bombs. They're bigass weapons, not really characters.

you take that back Drogon is a sweet boy

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

In this analogy Quentyn Martell is the guy at Los Alamos playing with the demon core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

I thought Norton and the director mostly got along but they both fought with the studio a lot over final cut.

• Locked thread