Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

tarlibone posted:

I just couldn't get over Lord Buckethead's personal juxtaposition involved in that whole scene. On the one hand, he's preposterous: his outfit is absurd, his name fits the outfit, and his platform fits his name. It's all crazy. And then he goes and makes the most salient point about Brexit that I think I've ever heard, and it's something I bet a lot of people who take their British politics seriously never even considered--that whichever of the two likely PMs that the UK ends up with, it will be 1 of them, neither of whom are particularly impressive, against 27 other leaders... and yes, that will indeed be a shitshow.

It's similar to the way court jesters were allowed to speak uncomfortable truths whilst joking. Humor is an effective way of showing the inherent absurdity in the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
He could have went way more into the election. But I didn't have a problem with just diving right into Brexit.

He could have also spent the entire half hour talking about how Theresa May tapping the DUP to be her partners in government will also be a huge poo poo show. And the DUP, despite being extremists, don't want a hard Brexit. And whatever agreement the UK gets with all the EU nations rests on a thin and divided coalition.

And the story of Jeremy Corbyn's surpise upset gains is a great story for leftists in itself. (For the two of you who didn't follow everything that happened since he first became Labour leader, look it up.) Perhaps it's good he didn't become PM, because this whole Brexit thing should rightfully be Theresa May's turd to clean up.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 12, 2017

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

They definitely should have given Lord Buckethead some lines there in the end.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The fun thing about English democracy is that every election is only on the scale of an election to the house of representatives, and there are legal protections to campaigning so that it's not just a bunch of special interests and fundraising campaigns spewing money everywhere and advertising campaigns all over the place. Here's one joke candidate's account of running in 2012. And then at the end of the election, they all have a roundup of candidates, which is really by itself the perfect payout. Imagine if Vermin Supreme had a legally protected right to stand next to all the serious candidates during the primaries with that boot on his head.

I feel like the British people are probably trying everything they can to undo Brexit, but there's no mechanic in the system for them to do so even if the public has at large changed its mind after giving its nebulous mandate (not hard to imagine considering the vote went only 52% in favor and that was with joke votes from people who thought it wouldn't happen and idiots who actually financially rely on the EU who may have thought things through since).

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
He never mentioned it but Boris Johnson is an american. Can you please take the plummy shitlord back?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Collateral posted:

He never mentioned it but Boris Johnson is an american. Can you please take the plummy shitlord back?

If you take Piers Morgan back.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rexides posted:

They definitely should have given Lord Buckethead some lines there in the end.

It probably gets dicey there from a union perspective. He probably could have interviewed him, but he probably wouldn't be allowed to deliver scripted lines.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The biggest joy of the British election season is just how short it is. Even for a regularly scheduled election the lead up will start earlier but the real meat of it lasts for six weeks and after a weekend everybody goes right back into doing their actual job of trying to run the country.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Collateral posted:

Sorry, we're full up on political clowns with ridiculous hair.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That episode...

Comey

Thatcher in the Rye

Lord Buckethead

:allears:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Thatcher in the Rye

In four years or whatever of watching this show, I think this was the hardest I've ever laughed at a line

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

IRQ posted:

If you take Piers Morgan back.

Mutually Assured Dipshittery.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

In four years or whatever of watching this show, I think this was the hardest I've ever laughed at a line

I know, right?

I mean, I laughed at the image of it and the clever pun on Catcher in the Rye, a book I loathe with all the loathes of Lothington. "Yeah, she reminds me of Thatcher." Had a good laugh.

Then the significance of "in the Rye" hit me. Don't know why there was a delay... but it resulted in me getting the rest of the pun, and I was off laughing again.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If you are above the book, how do you know the reference?

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Probably because it was required reading for one of their classes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Grinning Goblin posted:

Probably because it was required reading for one of their classes.

Yes, sadistic teachers everywhere force Catcher in the Rye and Grapes of Wrath on unsuspecting innocent children. Generations of children have been subjected to the cruelty of these so called "American Classics".

Where's the show about that? That's something that needs to be stopped as much as anything else people get up in arms about

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Really if you're gonna make a kid read Steinbeck, you probably ought to ease them in with Travels With Charley, just so they realize the author is a human being before you throw them in the deep end.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Just watched the episode. Came here to say that Thatcher in the Rye was an absolutely brilliant joke and overall this episode was one of the best I have seen.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

If you are above the book, how do you know the reference?

I'm not above the book. I mean, it's a book. I'm not sure how one can be above a book. That's a weird way of thinking about it. No, I just hated the book. This isn't the right forum for me to go into detail about it, but it was more than hating it just because it was assigned. I just hated it.

Besides, you don't even have to know what the book is about to get the pun. If you're familiar with the title of the book (i.e., if you know the book exists), and you're slightly aware of Margaret Thatcher's political leanings, and you're aware of Theresa May's basic political leanings, and you know that wheat and rye are similar crops, then the pun works just fine.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lord Buckethead is a character from a knock off Star Wars film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141270/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_11

He also has a youtube page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCBgM8Esoy99vDtfbNPC2peA

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

And from the IMDB page:

""Lord Buckethead" attempted to promote his movie in the UK by standing as a prospective MP for Parliament in both the 1987 and 1992 General Elections. Representing the "Gremloid" party (by which this movie is known in the UK) he stood against Margaret Thatcher in her Finchley constituency and somehow got 131 votes. Five years later in 1992 he stood against the then PM John Major in Huntingdon and got 107 votes. In 2017, 25 years later, he stood again against then PM Theresa May in Maidenhead and got 249 votes."

So apparently he isn't a new figure in UK politics.

E: holy poo poo, Chris Elliot was one of the leads in that movie? I'm sure it's trash, but I have to see it now.

E2: On second thought, Paula Poundstone is also in that movie, so maybe I'll skip it after all.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 13, 2017

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I didn't realize that Black Mirror Waldo episode wasn't completely insane

still a bad episode tho

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

tarlibone posted:

I'm not above the book. I mean, it's a book. I'm not sure how one can be above a book. That's a weird way of thinking about it. No, I just hated the book. This isn't the right forum for me to go into detail about it, but it was more than hating it just because it was assigned. I just hated it.

Besides, you don't even have to know what the book is about to get the pun. If you're familiar with the title of the book (i.e., if you know the book exists), and you're slightly aware of Margaret Thatcher's political leanings, and you're aware of Theresa May's basic political leanings, and you know that wheat and rye are similar crops, then the pun works just fine.
If you don't know what the book is about, then it's just a pun. That makes it a dad joke. Rather than a funny, or witty, joke.

I assumed it meant Thatcher was drunk as Julia Childs.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Tree Dude posted:

I didn't realize that Black Mirror Waldo episode wasn't completely insane
were you rip van winkling it through 2016 or what

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Collateral posted:

Oh poo poo, I had no idea.

I know we have some terrible exports, but like Canada, I still want you to apologize first for some reason. <3

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Collateral posted:

'born to british parents who were hanging out in america but went back to england' is like, 50% american at best

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Sivart13 posted:

'born to british parents who were hanging out in america but went back to england' is like, 50% american at best

Just think, this means after 2020 we can have President Boris Johnson! :swoon:

jk :ninja:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay look, we let you guys have Boris, can we have Lord Buckethead?

I would be just fine with him as president.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

tarlibone posted:

coyo7e posted:

If you don't know what the book is about, then it's just a pun. That makes it a dad joke. Rather than a funny, or witty, joke.

I assumed it meant Thatcher was drunk as Julia Childs.

Not to play UNIVERSAL ARBITER OF COMEDY too much but one of these interpretations makes way more sense to me than the other.

"Because I assumed she was a drunk" is not a compelling punchline to me.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like the British people are probably trying everything they can to undo Brexit, but there's no mechanic in the system for them to do so even if the public has at large changed its mind after giving its nebulous mandate (not hard to imagine considering the vote went only 52% in favor and that was with joke votes from people who thought it wouldn't happen and idiots who actually financially rely on the EU who may have thought things through since).

Actually polling says about 2/3rds of people want to go through with Brexit now, based on 'that's what the vote was, that's what we gotta do'. We had the Lib Dems stand on an explicitly Remain platform in the election and largely get crushed. The main question now is what kind of Brexit we get.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Burkion posted:

Okay look, we let you guys have Boris, can we have Lord Buckethead?

I would be just fine with him as president.

surely, there's a better solution: create a world government and Lord Buckethead will lead it

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Elite posted:

Not to play UNIVERSAL ARBITER OF COMEDY too much but one of these interpretations makes way more sense to me than the other.

"Because I assumed she was a drunk" is not a compelling punchline to me.
So you don't feel it's funny to imply Thatcher likes a lot a whiskey, or do you think dadjokes deserve to be lauded?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PenguinKnight posted:

surely, there's a better solution: create a world government and Lord Buckethead will lead it

We can't have a one world government because that's how the Bible Left Behind books say ~The Rapture~ will happen! :ohdear:

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Lord Buckethead is different from the guitarist Buckethead, right?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

So you don't feel it's funny to imply Thatcher likes a lot a whiskey, or do you think dadjokes deserve to be lauded?

The problem here is that the pun is pretty clear. Thatcher and the current PM have at least superficially similar political leanings, so referring to May as "Thatcher" for the purpose of a joke is easy enough to get behind. Then, remembering that May said that the "naughtiest" thing she'd ever done was run through a wheat field, you can substitute one cereal grain for another... in this case, rye for wheat. Thus, "Thatcher in the Rye" immediately works as a pun on a couple of different levels. Also, the image shown is of Theresa May literally running through a field of golden grain. C'mon, man, they gave you a picture!

Now, then there's your version of the joke, which relies on Thatcher's supposed alcoholism (something which I wasn't aware of), her preference for rye whisky (again, something I'm not aware of), and then... uhm... that somehow connects to May? There needs to be another link there. Is May also as big a fan of rye whisky as you know Thatcher to be?

Face it. You laughed at the clever joke, patting yourself on the back for getting its depth and breadth, without bothering to actually get the clever joke, which is OK because it wasn't a clever, deep, or broad joke. It was a simple pun. A dad joke, if you will.

OK... it was a "broad" joke, I guess. Because they're both broads!!

You're welcome.

Sincerely, Your 1940s Father.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 14, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It was not a simple pun, it was a superb pun with a political comparison and a callback to an earlier joke. Wordplay is wonderful and not merely the domain of dadjokes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

It was not a simple pun, it was a superb pun with a political comparison and a callback to an earlier joke. Wordplay is wonderful and not merely the domain of dadjokes.

I stand corrected.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Whoa, looks like somebody touched tarlibone's nerve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

Lord Buckethead is different from the guitarist Buckethead, right?

Probably but we genuinely have no way of telling for sure

• Locked thread