Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

get that OUT of my face posted:

i wager that harry potter references wouldn't be nearly as commonplace if jk rowling herself didn't actively encourage them
I disagree. see: Game of Thrones analogies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

That's a shame, Broad City started out feeling fresh and ahead of the curve but bleeping out Trump is so loving weak I couldn't even imagine Trevor Noah era Daily Show doing it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Dreddout posted:

Yes, now rich Manhattenites of all races and sexualities can watch Broadway plays and feel like they're superior to the filthy plebians!

all forms of art are eventually coopted and embraced by the wealthy, as they have been forever

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Yeah, that much isn't particularly new. Most art involves some degree of patronage, which is a huge pitfall in political art. Not everyone can be succesful being Bertholt Brecht.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Not a Step posted:

Looking forward to Trump eventually becoming He Who Must Not Be Named

LORD [NOT TON] HAND JUMP
LORD [ON NO] HADN'T JUMP
LORD HADN'T JUMP_ON
LORD [DON NOD] THAN JUMP
LORD drat PUT JOHN
LORD DAMP NUT JOHN
LORD DON'T HUMP JAN
LORD [ANT TAN] DUMP JOHN
LORD POND HUNT JAM
LORD [MAD DAM] PUNT JOHN
LORD PANT MUD JOHN
LORD [DON NOD] THUMP JAN

i like lord dont hump jan, but pant mud is good too

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

those aren't nearly as prevalent as harry potter analogies unless there's a season of GoT going on

Stale Saltines posted:

That's a shame, Broad City started out feeling fresh and ahead of the curve but bleeping out Trump is so loving weak I couldn't even imagine Trevor Noah era Daily Show doing it.
i'm still going to watch it because it's very funny, but i wouldn't be surprised if this season is where it goes completely up its own rear end

edit: yup, it'll be completely up its own rear end

quote:

As reported by USA Today, star Ilana Glazer says they wrote the season under the assumption that Clinton would win, but when the “game-show host” won instead, they “rewrote a lot.”

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 00:17 on Jun 14, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

imagine having a brain that thinks like this

jesus gently caress. what the gently caress is wrong with these people. i have seen some legit call for race separation. what happen to learning about and from other cultures or faiths. why does everyone need to be in seperate box. what happend to synthsys.

Fast Luck posted:

true. but at least those work a little better. the harry potter ones are much worse.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Agnosticnixie posted:

Yeah, that much isn't particularly new. Most art involves some degree of patronage, which is a huge pitfall in political art. Not everyone can be succesful being Bertholt Brecht.

The difference is most forms of art exist in a meaningful capacity outside of a couple major metropolitan centers.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

people who talk about white people "fetishizing" other races legit scare me, especially since we just passed the 50th anniversary of Loving v. Virginia

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

people who talk about white people "fetishizing" other races legit scare me, especially since we just passed the 50th anniversary of Loving v. Virginia

thats a good way of putting it. they dont view them as people or indviduals. but like very smart pets that can't think for themselves or arnt responsible for their own behavior. like after charlie hebdo, i saw a ton of these assholes saying they deserved it or "brought it upon them selves because words hurt and they were oppressing Muslims"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats a good way of putting it. they dont view them as people or indviduals. but like very smart pets that can't think for themselves or arnt responsible for their own behavior. like after charlie hebdo, i saw a ton of these assholes saying they deserved it or "brought it upon them selves because words hurt and they were oppressing Muslims"

"who cares they're fash" was my favorite. like yeah we should just let anyone shoot up people who draw cartoons they don't like as long as they're below a certain bar on the privilege spreadsheet

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

"who cares they're fash" was my favorite. like yeah we should just let anyone shoot up people who draw cartoons they don't like as long as they're below a certain bar on the privilege spreadsheet

i dont get why they defend wahabis and poo poo. regular muslims sure, thats competently good and awsome. but stop making loving excuses for Wahhabi when they go on sprees or butcher people.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Dreddout posted:

The difference is most forms of art exist in a meaningful capacity outside of a couple major metropolitan centers.

Historically speaking, no not really. You couldn't exactly go hear a symphony in bumfuck england a couple hundred years ago

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

woke gator devours white male child

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Historically speaking, no not really. You couldn't exactly go hear a symphony in bumfuck england a couple hundred years ago

We aren't speaking historically

Theatre is an incredibly regional art form and it's weird for you to be treating it like it's not.

The vast majority of the country doesn't have a huge theater scene when it exists primarily in half a dozen cities. I can't think of another form of modern media that is as location dependent. More people have access to loving room escape games nowadays

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Theater used to actually involve a lot more (poor) patrons, back when it was the equivalent of going to the cinema. It only really survives today as the conspicuous consumption of a specific subset of the fairly well off.

And hell: I'm glad theatre dead.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

In conclusion theatre is bad and bougie

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCI7ft0VoAEsxjW?format=jpg

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
what shitholes do you guys live in that don't have local/community theaters that perform a variety of plays? because I live in a town of less than 50k in the infamously non-bougie rural south that's two hours away from any town with 100k+ people and there are like four theaters you can watch a live show, two of which are pretty large, within 20-30 minutes of my house

the theater scene in cities like new york is extremely bougie, but you're way way way overstating and overgeneralizing about it

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
by contrast I am only aware of one room escape game within the same range

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

wizard on a water slide posted:

what shitholes do you guys live in that don't have local/community theaters that perform a variety of plays? because I live in a town of less than 50k in the infamously non-bougie rural south that's two hours away from any town with 100k+ people and there are like four theaters you can watch a live show, two of which are pretty large, within 20-30 minutes of my house

the theater scene in cities like new york is extremely bougie, but you're way way way overstating and overgeneralizing about it

This was also my experience in both Tulsa, OK and the blighted suburban hellscape of Orange County, CA hours from LA. Community theater is cool and fun and only slightly goofy, which feeds into how fun it is. If your entire knowledge of theater begins and ends with Broadway you might want to get out more.

by contrast I am only aware of one room escape game within the same range

I lived a few streets from a room escape in Oklahoma. Never went.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus gently caress. what the gently caress is wrong with these people. i have seen some legit call for race separation. what happen to learning about and from other cultures or faiths. why does everyone need to be in seperate box. what happend to synthsys.

true. but at least those work a little better. the harry potter ones are much worse.

I'm part native american.

Please appropriate my culture. Why? Because white assholes like that Katie woman tried to do their best to erase it (and my genetic line) from history. It's loving sad as hell I JUST NOW found about it due to doing some genetic testing.

I need to dig out that one quote about Duane Earl on GTA V making a joke about :911: "not" being some sort of "melting pot where cultures combine themselves"..

It's some weird neo-puritanism conservatism repackaged by rich spoiled kids to push the concept of segregation back again.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

thanks I wanted to come twice today, now I have

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
If Harambe was white he'd still be alive

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

Please appropriate my culture. Why? Because white assholes like that Katie woman tried to do their best to erase it (and my genetic line) from history. It's loving sad as hell I JUST NOW found about it due to doing some genetic testing.

I need to dig out that one quote about Duane Earl on GTA V making a joke about :911: "not" being some sort of "melting pot where cultures combine themselves"..

It's some weird neo-puritanism conservatism repackaged by rich spoiled kids to push the concept of segregation back again.

well as i and others have said. most of these people come from either wealthy house holds or extremely conservative households or both.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Almost all American theater is performed in the shadow of Broadway so the values of Broadway impact the small town theater circuit

But I can see we won't see eye to eye on this and I admit I am incredibly biased against performance art as a medium

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

FuzzySkinner posted:

The dreddout foundation for Latino relations has remained committed to its core value of "I will gently caress anyone regardless of race, religion, or creed"*

*No fatties

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well as i and others have said. most of these people come from either wealthy house holds or extremely conservative households or both.

https://twitter.com/historyinflicks/status/874813461942939648

A timely tweet!

People like Joan Walsh come across as the sort of people who thought "Indian Schools" were a good idea back in the 1800's. That's the sort of people we're dealing with.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/historyinflicks/status/874813461942939648

A timely tweet!

People like Joan Walsh come across as the sort of people who thought "Indian Schools" were a good idea back in the 1800's. That's the sort of people we're dealing with.

i dont want to sound like a altright dick. but do you think there is some self hatred there? like they hate being white or some poo poo? because when i hear this stuff its rarely from minorities.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 05:44 on Jun 14, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

If Harambe was white he'd still be alive

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont want to sound like a altright dick. but do you think there is some self hatred there? like they hate being white or some poo poo? because when i hear this stuff its rarely from minorities.

https://twitter.com/Bumbleputt/status/874813613210558464

so yes, basically

woke twitter broke her brain

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'd hesitate to call that "woke" but it is another useless san francisco invention

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

There are about four times as many white people in the US as black people, so assuming equal distribution there are four times as many white raging morons as black raging morons. And given the systemic racism and networking involved in who gets a platform to fling poo poo from, you're way more likely to hear from the white raging morons.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

what the gently caress do i need the outside part for? i already have the god drat paper grocery bag that I can put my recyclables in?

i am so god drat mad

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what the gently caress do i need the outside part for? i already have the god drat paper grocery bag that I can put my recyclables in?

i am so god drat mad

Also paper grocery bags suck

If that was for plastic bags, maybe they'd be onto something

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You can't suffocate yourself with a paper grocery bag, useless imo

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i am so god drat mad

it's a paper bag-shaped trash can lmao

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

they should focus on getting some more broads imo, they promised a whole city and instead its just two dumpy ones

sounds like a great way to ignore reality yaas queen slayyyyy

Casually dismissing Trump by treating him like a taboo fetish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Dapper_Swindler posted:

if youre white chances are you dont have enough poc friends to hear us bitching about you.