Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

krisslanza posted:

The only issue I have with it is, I think in this 'story' all this nuclear radiation issues is a very recent problem, right?
How did some Pokemon suddenly exist that can eat and cleanse radiation, if its only been a problem within the past like, 3 days. :psyduck:
Evolution is a mystical force in the Pokemon world. It detected an imbalance and worked to correct it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Dark-type quick attack. Not as mighty as Sucker Punch, but not conditional.

It's a thing!

:what:

"hey puppet pal mitch, what do we call the actual dark quick attack that didn't need to exist because sucker punch exists, and is good"
"get out the thesaurus, puppet pal clem"

I eagerly await the ghost-type version Rapid Aggression and fire-type version Speedy Service.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

KataraniSword posted:

fire-type version Speedy Service.

Ahem.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Touche, but at least they put more thought into that one.

Except for making it just Fire ExtremeSpeed and also putting it on Inflagetah. God drat, Inflagetah is the worst design decision in a game of bad design decisions.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

KataraniSword posted:

"hey puppet pal mitch, what do we call the actual dark quick attack that didn't need to exist because sucker punch exists, and is good"
"get out the thesaurus, puppet pal clem"

I eagerly await the ghost-type version Rapid Aggression and fire-type version Speedy Service.

....Shadow Sneak?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
and we're not even done with Inflamageddonwhatever madness

also its me
I am the guy who played Xenoblade X
clearly the hazmat pokemon was a ripoff

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

KataraniSword posted:

"a bonk on the head"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Know what? Credit where it's due. This part feels like Pokemon. Here you have a site where a disaster happened, but it's okay there are cute critters cleaning the place up. Gold star, Uranium.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I would like to point out that, at least, there is a dumber use of magical radiation in a video game, though the game itself was significantly better because the gameplay didn't suck. The endgame of Megaman Battle Network 2 involved electromagnetic radiation so powerful that it was supposedly lethal to humans (though this didn't happen to anyone, including multiple people who were at the epicenter without any protective gear), and its effects were expressed by uncontrollably walking sideways and the internet bleeding into the real world.

Just in case you thought Fallout took some liberties with how radiation works.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You are my good good radinosaur.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Speedy Service.

:confused:

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer

EclecticTastes posted:

I would like to point out that, at least, there is a dumber use of magical radiation in a video game, though the game itself was significantly better because the gameplay didn't suck. The endgame of Megaman Battle Network 2 involved electromagnetic radiation so powerful that it was supposedly lethal to humans (though this didn't happen to anyone, including multiple people who were at the epicenter without any protective gear), and its effects were expressed by uncontrollably walking sideways and the internet bleeding into the real world.

Just in case you thought Fallout took some liberties with how radiation works.

I vaguely recall some handwaves about there being protective gear... that just happened to be invisible on the sprites, which looked same as always.

I'll be honest though. The thing that really gets me is how out of place the entire concept of nuclear radiation as a major plot point feels in a Pokemon game. It's a game about magic critters, something as scifi as radiation just... doesn't match for me.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Hazma does have a fun design. I had a crack at massaging the pixels but I've never been much good at matching Pokemon's style.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Seaogre posted:

I'll be honest though. The thing that really gets me is how out of place the entire concept of nuclear radiation as a major plot point feels in a Pokemon game. It's a game about magic critters, something as scifi as radiation just... doesn't match for me.

:v:

(The difference is that the sci-fi part of Mewtwo is just an excuse for more Pokémon-appropriate plots. God only knows what a Mewtwo written by Uranium's team would look like.)

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Haifisch posted:

(The difference is that the sci-fi part of Mewtwo is just an excuse for more Pokémon-appropriate plots. God only knows what a Mewtwo written by Uranium's team would look like.)

I mean you're basically describing this

:v:

I'm just being facetious, please don't let it actually be that

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Top Boy is the best thing to come out of this trainwreck.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

GeneX posted:

Top Boy is the best thing to come out of this trainwreck.
I'd say the only good thing, but this thread exists.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

PMush Perfect posted:

I'd say the only good thing, but this thread exists.

Counterpoint: the name Daikatuna

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

krisslanza posted:

The only issue I have with it is, I think in this 'story' all this nuclear radiation issues is a very recent problem, right?
How did some Pokemon suddenly exist that can eat and cleanse radiation, if its only been a problem within the past like, 3 days. :psyduck:

I'm not giving Uranium a pass here, buuuuut, naturally occurring radiation is a thing. Granted it wouldn't be nearly as bad as nuclear fallout, but it does exist.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
There's actually a common form of pokemon that's powered by radiation and uses it to shoot massive lasers.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm not giving Uranium a pass here, buuuuut, naturally occurring radiation is a thing. Granted it wouldn't be nearly as bad as nuclear fallout, but it does exist.

Just have to look to Australia for that. There's actually a ton of uranium deposits near the surface in Australia and the ancient Aboriginals would actively avoid them and referred to them as places of sickness since the plants and water around them were also contaminated.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hazma is incredible

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

krisslanza posted:

Grimer exists because industrial sludge on a seabed was exposed to X-ray radiation from the moon.

Pokemon just loving happen sometimes, man.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I just realized what you're going to use Hazma for and I love you you goddamned maniac.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Testekill posted:

Just have to look to Australia for that. There's actually a ton of uranium deposits near the surface in Australia and the ancient Aboriginals would actively avoid them and referred to them as places of sickness since the plants and water around them were also contaminated.

That explains so much. Not only does all of the flora and fauna want to kill you, but the very ground you walk on has the potential to have uranium deposits. Are there any parts of Australia not actively trying to murder everything?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Dirk the Average posted:

That explains so much. Not only does all of the flora and fauna want to kill you, but the very ground you walk on has the potential to have uranium deposits. Are there any parts of Australia not actively trying to murder everything?

The possums.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

They're loving thieves, though. I once caught one attempting to steal an entire eski.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Coq au Nandos posted:

They're loving thieves, though. I once caught one attempting to steal an entire eski.

That's an incredible mental image. :allears:

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Coq au Nandos posted:

A hero for our time.

masam
May 27, 2010
What in the ninth layer of austhellia is an Eski? Get it? It's a portmanteau of Australia and hell! Aren't I so funny? Anger at people who don't know how to do word play aside, the question is an honest one, I don't understand what's shocking about a possums stealing one of those eski things

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

masam posted:

What in the ninth layer of austhellia is an Eski? Get it? It's a portmanteau of Australia and hell! Aren't I so funny? Anger at people who don't know how to do word play aside, the question is an honest one, I don't understand what's shocking about a possums stealing one of those eski things

in the civilized world, eskys are referred to as coolers.

they're like 3-10 times the size of a possum

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That's because there was a misshipment and the aussie possums got sent to north america.

Miliardo
Dec 3, 2014

All hail Shadow, heroes rise again!
Obliterating everything that's not your friend!
Nothing can stop you now,
No ghosts to bring you down.
When there's nothing left to lose, you win!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

krisslanza posted:

To be fair, radiation has been a problem since that power plant blew Ranger Ninja Good Human Hokage Dick Solomon's mom up like 10 years ago, and this game plays faster and looser with science than even official Pokémon games.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah it actually makes sense that these things were all hiding somewhere chilling with unfound deposits until some jerk started smearing radiation all over the place and they had to come find it. Less so that no one ever discovered one near a newly found uranium deposit, but oh well.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So I guess Hazma's got a fixed ability or something that makes it resist Nuclear?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Glazius posted:

So I guess Hazma's got a fixed ability or something that makes it resist Nuclear?

it could have a nuclear version of water absorb of flash fire

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Coq au Nandos posted:

I read eski as ski and that was a wonderful mental image.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

It also helps that the execution was really cool. I loving loved that weird-rear end hotel and the music in the dungeon proper owned hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Looking at Hazma again, he is great as-is and all, but what if....

• Locked thread