Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Lid posted:

Channel Ten has been forced to go into voluntary administration after its billionaire shareholders told it on the weekend they would no longer guarantee a key loan.

Not surprising, watched Ten for the first time in ages on Monday night and that Have You Been Paying Attention show had Medibank advertising inside the show itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
In tragic news for Australia’s media landscape, the country’s only newspaper The Backburner will be closed down immediately following the publication of this piece after major errors were found in literally every article it ever published.

The Backburner started three years ago as diversion therapy for the country’s most violent prisoners and quickly became a cult classic among business leaders and sewer folk alike.

Unfortunately, this reputation of delivering Australia’s most reliable and true news service is now under threat after several politicians complained that they had been thoroughly misquoted by The Backburner, and often came off sounding completely hypocritical.

“We have no idea how this could have happened,” Head Writer James Colley told The Backburner. “It would be fine if there was an occasional error but by the looks of it we’re going to have to retract every one of our almost 1,250 articles. There’s major mistakes from top to bottom. A lot of the events described don’t seem to have ever even happened. I have no idea how I let this slip for so long.

“Really, it’s a shocking lapse of judgement. It’s as if the people writing for this publication weren’t journalists at all but were instead a group of deranged sociopaths releasing a bitter cry for help between spoonfuls of paste.

“It’s a shame because with the times we’re living we thought that a publication such as this one could really offer something to the Australian public. Turns out this isn't the case. Still, if The Backburner must end at least it’s due to systemic incompetence instead of what I initially suspected would be our end, political assassination at the dawning of a revolution.

“Personally, I consider it a great honour to have spent three years working with some of the most talented young writers in the country and also Ben McLeay. Our team changed over the years but constantly worked hard to entertain you and I will miss writing these pieces every morning. I must take a moment to thank Neal Downward for allowing us the space to grow, if ultimately it was proven to be a massive mistake. I’d also like to acknowledge my amazing team of Rebecca Shaw, James Hennessy, Eleanor Robertson, Bish Marzook, Nayuka Gorrie, Lucy Valentine, Dee Fidge and even Ben McLeay who all put in an incredible sustained effort. It is a shame they’ll have to be executed but that was a stipulation in their contract.

“This is the end of an era. Sorry, I misspoke. This is the end of an error. It was a terrible error that we were ever allowed to exist and I am glad it has finally been rectified.

“Long live The Backburner.”

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

Not surprising, watched Ten for the first time in ages on Monday night and that Have You Been Paying Attention show had Medibank advertising inside the show itself.

It could be a good show and it has some funny people but the excessive cross promotion for other channel 10 garbage is too much for me

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lid posted:

Channel Ten has been forced to go into voluntary administration after its billionaire shareholders told it on the weekend they would no longer guarantee a key loan.

And nothing of value was lost

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Lid posted:

You mean Gina finally agreed to sell it to Rupert.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Waiting to hear back from the job agency about whether they're going to tell Centrelink I turned down suitable employment. The only factor that has any play on the "not suitable" front is the $13 training wage, which they're checking the legality of. They scoffed at me when I pointed out the employer was operating a forklift without a license -- which would have put my safety at risk since I would also be working in the warehouse, and which left me unclear on where this lands me legally -- saying that was for Workcover to deal with.

They said "If the training wage was legal you'll be cut off Newstart for 8 weeks," in the most blasé manner possible. They don't care that I didn't understand I wasn't allowed to reject a job if the pay was unsatisfactory. I understand this is my fault, what I mean is they're acting like I cheated the system when I honestly made a mistake. They told me to stop getting annoyed at them when I'd try to raise counterpoints. All my concerns were stonewalled by them reciting the "refusing suitable employment" process.

pray for me

snoremac fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 14, 2017

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Crank up the guillotines boys/girls/they

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Well lesson learned for centrelink, if the job doesn't appeal to you or pays slave rates or you don't want it, don't turn it down, just start asking about if any blacks or jews (substitute with racial epithet to taste) work there and how much you can't stand them so you don't get hired.

EDIT: 1 epithet == 1 prayer

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 14, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

hooman posted:

Well lesson learned for centrelink, if the job doesn't appeal to you or pays slave rates or you don't want it, don't turn it down, just start asking about if any blacks or jews (substitute with racial epithet to taste) work there and how much you can't stand them so you don't get hired.

I'm not sure you get how Australia works. This is actually how you get a promotion / raise.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bogan King posted:

I'm not sure you get how Australia works. This is actually how you get a promotion / raise.

Talk about how much you hate anzacs and you're not surprised they couldn't beat a bunch of manly tough turks when they're all just limp wristed aussies?

EDIT: Suggest we shouldn't torture refugees in offshore camps. Say "maybe all muslims aren't bad".

EDIT2: Fuckit, look just poo poo your pants.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

hooman posted:

EDIT2: Fuckit, look just poo poo your pants.

The Ted Nugent strategy. Bold.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Complain to Centrelink directly and mention the forklift etc.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

snoremac posted:

Waiting to hear back from the job agency about whether they're going to tell Centrelink I turned down suitable employment. The only factor that has any play on the "not suitable" front is the $13 training wage, which they're checking the legality of. They scoffed at me when I pointed out the employer was operating a forklift without a license -- which would have put my safety at risk since I would also be working in the warehouse, and which left me unclear on where this lands me legally -- saying that was for Workcover to deal with.

They said "If the training wage was legal you'll be cut off Newstart for 8 weeks," in the most blasé manner possible. They don't care that I didn't understand I wasn't allowed to reject a job if the pay was unsatisfactory. I understand this is my fault, what I mean is they're acting like I cheated the system when I honestly made a mistake. They told me to stop getting annoyed at them when I'd try to raise counterpoints. All my concerns were stonewalled by them reciting the "refusing suitable employment" process.

pray for me

This is pretty hosed. Have you shared your story with someone in the media, or threatened to do so?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

snoremac posted:

They scoffed at me when I pointed out the employer was operating a forklift without a license -- which would have put my safety at risk since I would also be working in the warehouse

IANAL but this is the point that should get you off with no penalty. If the criteria is that you must take any 'suitable' job offer then working in an unsafe workplace has to make it not suitable. Having a unqualified people operating that kind of machinery in an environment you will be working in is by definition unsafe.

If they push it then go to centrelink and say they were trying to force you to work in an unsafe environment. Look at the relevant Workcover stuff as well so they can't argue with it.

In short, gently caress them and gently caress them hard.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

open24hours posted:

Complain to Centrelink directly and mention the forklift etc.

That's my next step regardless of the outcome. I'm changing agencies ASAP.

I haven't threatened them. Personally, if the pay was reasonable I would've accepted the job and stayed mum about the forklift stuff. I only argued the point because their entire argument hinges on a legal technicality so I was just trying to give potential legal reasons why the employment isn't "suitable". But despite technically being an unsafe work environment and that I'd be abetting a crime, the agency doesn't give a poo poo.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

hawaiian_robot posted:

This is pretty hosed. Have you shared your story with someone in the media, or threatened to do so?

At this point we probably should have a standard question in the OP:

"Has something immensely hosed gone on? Here's a list of good journos that'll make enough noise that the government finally loving does something to help you".

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I got off due to the illegal training wage. They were suddenly very chipper and kind. Haven't slept since yesterday and I'm too tired to process what that means.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

snoremac posted:

I got off due to the illegal training wage.

Noice. Hopefully it will gently caress the company over too.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Zenithe posted:

Noice. Hopefully it will gently caress the company over too.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHA no.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

I got off due to the illegal training wage. They were suddenly very chipper and kind. Haven't slept since yesterday and I'm too tired to process what that means.

That's great news, and I'm glad to hear it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

hooman posted:

That's great news, and I'm glad to hear it.

Thanks.

I spent the last 24 hours poring over my rights. If I don't get a job I can at least look forward to telling a job agency I'm doing voluntary work instead of Work for the Dole. That will feel good.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Glad that worked out, nail them to the wall if you can.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

snoremac posted:

Nice.

If can you should report the business to Fair Work and Workcover. They were trying to scam the system to force people into a job for unfair pay in an unsafe work environment. gently caress them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A two-storey Sydney pub on King Street, Newtown. Band on Saturday. Roast on Sundays. Drag queen bingo on Tuesdays. And tonight, for the first time ever, a private booking of men's rights activists (MRAs) who have come to meet the women who agree with them.

The MRAs arrive in pairs or alone and tramp up the stairs to the rooftop bar. There's Frank, (not his real name), who has come with his wife, who reviews films on Youtube and doesn't want her fans to know she's here. Frank wears a fedora and blue-tinted spectacles. He introduces himself to a man who wears a 'Make Australia Great Again' cap and a t-shirt for the pro-MRA documentary The Red Pill - recently the focus of a violent protest at Sydney University. The man gives his Facebook name - Aussie Mgtow - from the group 'Anti-feminism Australia'.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/meet-the-honey-badgers-who-say-women-are-oppressing-men/8615184

:barf:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Synthbuttrange posted:

There's Frank, (not his real name), who has come with his wife...The man gives his Facebook name - Aussie Mgtow - from the group 'Anti-feminism Australia'.

:thunk:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

:thunk: posted:

The Honey Badgers also argue feminism oppresses women by defining them as victims who need to be rescued. Asked how this was different to men claiming they were victims, Karen replies that men are real victims and women are just pretending.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
No beautiful Daisy? what a waste of an article.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Mtgow.... wife... does not compute

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

snoremac posted:

Awesome! Go and have something to eat, drink some water and have a good, well-earned snooze. Good job sticking up for your rights

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Lot of photos of fat ugly people in this article.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Synthbuttrange posted:

A two-storey Sydney pub on King Street, Newtown. Band on Saturday. Roast on Sundays. Drag queen bingo on Tuesdays. And tonight, for the first time ever, a private booking of men's rights activists (MRAs) who have come to meet the women who agree with them.

The MRAs arrive in pairs or alone and tramp up the stairs to the rooftop bar. There's Frank, (not his real name), who has come with his wife, who reviews films on Youtube and doesn't want her fans to know she's here. Frank wears a fedora and blue-tinted spectacles. He introduces himself to a man who wears a 'Make Australia Great Again' cap and a t-shirt for the pro-MRA documentary The Red Pill - recently the focus of a violent protest at Sydney University. The man gives his Facebook name - Aussie Mgtow - from the group 'Anti-feminism Australia'.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/meet-the-honey-badgers-who-say-women-are-oppressing-men/8615184

:barf:

Corbyn is an MRA? gently caress, this changes everything

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How does someone slip unscathed between inserting a bullet into your own brain and entering MRA town? Do you have to miss the shot or what?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Women cannot legally access abortions in QLD and NSW, clearly they have too many rights

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Men cant access abortion services anywhere in the world. Now who's oppressed?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Periphery posted:

Nice.

If can you should report the business to Fair Work and Workcover. They were trying to scam the system to force people into a job for unfair pay in an unsafe work environment. gently caress them.

Yeah I'll definitely do this tomorrow once I can think straight. I felt iffy about it at first since on the surface the employer was very nice, but considering the details he's a real piece of work.

I'm curious whether the job agency had any hand in the contract or not. It's possible they're doing this to other people (underpaying them) so I'd be a prick not to report it. I did receive one job opportunity from them in the past that was paying a good rate, but it was a multinational corporation who would have had their poo poo together.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Idiot news update:

quote:

Fresh concerns have emerged over the introduction of potentially industry-crippling battery installation safety guidelines, after the release of a draft report from Standards Australia appears to have upheld a controversial recommendation that effectively ban battery storage systems inside homes and garages.

The draft guidelines – which were first aired in February this year, and again by the Queensland industry regulator but quickly hosed down after a major industry-wide backlash – still appear to recommend that most current technology home energy storage units be located outside of homes, in independent “kiosks” or “bunkers.”

Clean Energy Council CEO Kane Thornton says the industry had hoped that the controversial guidelines would be scrapped after the similar recommendation from Queensland regulators, which also surfaced in February, was revised out of that state’s guidelines following consultation with industry.

And he said that a previous disclaimer from Standards Australia, that state governments did not have to adopt the recommendations, was not good enough.

“There do need to be strong standards across the industries, and therefore as this progresses, whatever standard is reached will be applied to the industry. …therefore we’re very engaged and concerned,” Thornton told RenewEconomy on Wednesday.

“Things have moved on, there’s been a lot of progress in terms on international standards and what’s happening in Australia. We now hope common sense prevails,” he said, adding that if it didn’t, there could be some “pretty significant ramifications.”

Industry players will also be hoping for some common sense, having already condemned the proposed SA guidelines as “ridiculous” and over the top, particularly in comparison with international standards.

They have also warned that the requirement for batteries to be housed in independent structures risked adding thousands of dollars to the cost of battery installation in Australia, making it uneconomic for the millions of solar households in Australia keen to store and batter manage their PV generation.

“In Europe, we have 30,000 installations and some of those have been around since 2010, and not one fire has happened, no one has been injured,” said Chris Parratt, who heads up the Australian operations of global battery giant Sonnen, in comments in February.

“There is a standard being released in Germany that allows for lithium-ion batteries to be installed in homes. So why Australia appears to be going the opposite way, I don’t know,” Parratt said.

“If you’re going to ban the installation of all battery storage in the home, you might as well ban all laptops,” said Richard Turner, the CEO of Adelaide based Zen Energy, which partners with one of the industry’s pioneering battery storage makers, Greensmith.

“It’s just a ridiculous position for this country to be in when we have the best renewable energy resource to harness and individuals can basically be energy independent in their own homes.”

For the CEC’s part, the industry body has pledged to mount a strong campaign to have the standards removed or revised.

“Heavy-handed regulation of home energy storage devices risks crippling one of the most exciting industries of the future before it gets going,” it said in a statement on Wednesday.

“We believe that as long as home energy storage units meet strong international standards and are installed by an accredited installer to clear guidelines, requiring units to be installed outside of a house is unnecessarily restrictive,” it said.

Gosh I wonder who would benefit from such a standard :iiam:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ewe2 posted:

Idiot news update:

Gosh I wonder who would benefit from such a standard :iiam:

COAL POWERED BATTERIES FOR EVERYONE

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It turns out that a business that needs to rely on these shady government programs to find employees will often be awful and do a bunch illegal poo poo.

A tax cut is the solution of course.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

One of the Liberal party’s largest donors, Chinese mining magnate Sally Zou, previously set up a company called “Julie Bishop Glorious Foundation” which the foreign minister says she has never heard of.

The enigmatic Ms Zou, who is also a large financial supporter of Port Adelaide Football Club, also set a company last month called Australian Earthly Paradise.

That company’s principal place of business is 19 Tallisker Rd, Deep Creek — the address of a pristine 1.5km stretch of coastal property currently on the market for $2.5 million, which is not owned by Ms Zou.

It is understood she might be intending to buy the property. Julie Bishop Glorious Foundation Pty Ltd was set up in April last year, and changed its name to Glorious Foundation just nine days later.

A spokeswoman for the minister said the existence of the company was news to her.

“The foreign minister has met Ms Zou from time to time at various functions. The minister was not aware of any foundation established using her name, nor has she been approached by Ms Zou for any government assistance.’’

Mods namechange please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
What is MTGOW? I tried googling it but I'm not giving hits to redpill blogs/youtubes and couldn't see an urban dictionary or anything

• Locked thread