Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

EA ended up being a real deal with the devil for Bioware since it's what enabled ME2 to become such a huge AAA hit but also what led to everything after. I don't think you can put Andromeda all on EA's head though, it was a mismanaged project through and through.

"EA" had influence even in Bioware's golden age since their owner at the time is one of EA's VPs now. Most of the gently caress ups are Bioware's, likely due to them trying to run things like they did 20 years ago but with much larger projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

monster on a stick posted:

Remember what happened after ME3? People wanted exploration/where's my Mako, they also praised Montreal since they did the multiplayer part of the game (and I think people are still playing MP.)

So surprise Montreal got the sequel and was told to add more exploration, the Mako back, and combat done by the multiplayer guys.

Montreal didn't work on compelling characters and storylines (unless you think Omega was a top-notch story DLC) so we didn't get that.

This is interesting. I didn't realize montreal did the multiplayer, I'd appreciate a source so I could read up on that. But also, how do you separate multiplayer from the basic combat mechanics used in both mp and sp?

Still, hearing that the studio that made the mp got told to make the whole thing puts things in a new light, and I say that as someone who loved the mp in 3 and remembers the rest of the game kind of a dissapointing blur, with at least one big exception in the resolution of the krogan arc.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Montreal didn't work on compelling characters and storylines (unless you think Omega was a top-notch story DLC) so we didn't get that.

In retrospect the fact that Omega ends with Aria back on her couch in Purgatory "because it's easier to run things from there" was probably a bad sign.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Android Blues posted:

The thing is that money-wise, they sort of do, because every year of game development costs hugely and at some point you're either like, "we have to push this out the door and hope it sells despite its obvious flaws", or you reconcile yourself to losing money on the game in the hope that the team that's already been botching it for five years can turn this into something good if you just give them six.

i think i'll agree to disagree here since we won't be able to argue our way to any kind of firm conclusion anyway, i'll just restate that weighed against 'hoping it sells despite its obvious flaws' is 'produce the thing until you're personally satisfied and then hope that sells' because it's already a given that we're in a bad situation where we've lost money to mismanagement, the deciding factor will depend on if we expect a net return on any further effort since we know flaws hurt sales to an extent (which there is more leeway for judgement on yeah) at least through strictly financial arguments, a company might want to include loss of reputation and prestige in its calculus along with the future prospects of a reliable franchise - but considering how much of the real development apparently took place in a productive 18 months, i'd wager another 12 would've been sensible imho given how bad a flop andromeda was with its flaws and seeing that a large number of those problem areas were already flagged as troublemakers, if we believe the kotaku story anyway, so the remaining issues were known and would've given direction to further efforts - as bad as this dev cycle was i personally doubt bioware would have treated a hypothetical extension as anything but an opportunity to address all flagged issues while engaging with the regression they were facing

Android Blues posted:

I don't think the animations are the problem like, at all, they're just what the internet latched onto. The real issues are the lacking story, the lack of even slightly meaningful dialogue choices or interactions, the underpopulated exploration zones filled with busywork sub-MMO fetch quests, and how the gameplay flow just generally hasn't been polished. This all becomes more evident as you sink more time into the game: it's big, but a lot emptier than it should be.

while apparently story/dialogue/characters came into being really late in the process this time around without room for redrafts and so faced a similar 18 month crunch, and it is hard to say if those sorts of issues could also have been addressed in a hypothetical extension, but at least from a marketing standpoint addressing the animations and the like would have been a boon because it takes someone whose played the game to notice the lackluster story arcs, but anyone else can laugh at a gif of a janky kett manpile in the sky

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If Montreal went all-in on a multiplayer only Mass Effect it would have been a better use of their skills and resources. They couldn't even get that right.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

This is interesting. I didn't realize montreal did the multiplayer, I'd appreciate a source so I could read up on that. But also, how do you separate multiplayer from the basic combat mechanics used in both mp and sp?

Still, hearing that the studio that made the mp got told to make the whole thing puts things in a new light, and I say that as someone who loved the mp in 3 and remembers the rest of the game kind of a dissapointing blur, with at least one big exception in the resolution of the krogan arc.

Here's a source:

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/11/12/an-update-from-bioware-montreal/ posted:

Because BioWare has always believed that the company culture is one of the key ingredients of the games we make, we took two important steps with the team. First, we deliberately seeded the new studio with many transfers from Edmonton. Second, we chose to grow the team relatively slowly, allowing new people to join the team and integrate into its culture in due time. Even with that approach, though, the Montreal studio has made significant contributions to the Mass Effect franchise. We started by building about half the cinematics for ME2, then most of its N7 missions, and finally we played an important role in the development of much of its post-release content. Then on ME3, we took charge of the multiplayer portion as well as making significant contributions to the single-player campaign. Most recently, we built a large piece of DLC that will be released on November 27 and that you know under the name of Omega. With each new portion of work, we took on deeper and broader responsibilities, but we always worked in conjunction with Casey, the Mass Effect leads, and the developers in Edmonton.

I didn't realize they did so many cinematics or N7 missions for ME2. Though - were any of the N7 missions very good in the second game? Maybe the malfunctioning mech missions?

Pattonesque posted:

In retrospect the fact that Omega ends with Aria back on her couch in Purgatory "because it's easier to run things from there" was probably a bad sign.

To be fair they had three choices:
* Aria gone from the Citadel and the game, which could cause problems with the Citadel missions she gave you to recruit mercenaries as war assets, as I'm pretty sure Aria always contacted you during/after each of those missions. Also they'd have to figure out a way to give out the quests in case you said "let's take back Omega! :stonk:" before asking about those missions, and I remember hearing that ME2 had some problems if you took Liara up on LotSB before getting the story on Thane/Samara.
* Aria moved to Omega and them setting it up as some kind of hub, with side missions and everything. This wasn't going to happen because that would be very expensive. I guess they could just have you land and have Aria just sitting there on her couch, more like the "hub" you got with Lair of the Shadow Broker, but that would have been lame and honestly who would go back and see Aria?
* Aria remains on the Citadel for reasons.

The last is handwavy but it's fine.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 13, 2017

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Mass Effect is really bad now, the name "Mass Effect" stands for lovely games lmao

There hasn't been a "good" Mass Effect game since 2010.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Durzel posted:

It's hard to imagine how a company could gently caress up Mass Effect so much, I mean it's not as if it's a new property - they had a proven blueprint laid out for them. Instead for reasons unknown they seemed to just want to chuck that out of the window to chase some nebulous procedural exploration pipe dream. This is up there with 3D Realms pissing away money for years pretending to make Duke Nukem Forever.

Quite honestly as soon as someone threw out "procedural" or "endless exploration" in a meeting about a game that historically always had a beginning, middle and end someone should've punched that person in the face.

"How could a company gently caress up a mass effect this bad?" I asked about the company that released Mass Effect 3.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

"How could a company gently caress up a mass effect this bad?" I asked about the company that released Mass Effect 3.

Electronic Arts

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

There hasn't been a "good" Mass Effect game since 2010.

I agree with you my friend

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Iron Crowned posted:

Electronic Arts

I think you missed the point of my post so I'll lay it out for ya: Mass Effect 3 was loving garbage and Andromeda being bad was absolutely no surprise.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

To be fair they had three choices:
* Aria gone from the Citadel and the game, which could cause problems with the Citadel missions she gave you to recruit mercenaries as war assets, as I'm pretty sure Aria always contacted you during/after each of those missions. Also they'd have to figure out a way to give out the quests in case you said "let's take back Omega! :stonk:" before asking about those missions, and I remember hearing that ME2 had some problems if you took Liara up on LotSB before getting the story on Thane/Samara.
* Aria moved to Omega and them setting it up as some kind of hub, with side missions and everything. This wasn't going to happen because that would be very expensive. I guess they could just have you land and have Aria just sitting there on her couch, more like the "hub" you got with Lair of the Shadow Broker, but that would have been lame and honestly who would go back and see Aria?
* Aria remains on the Citadel for reasons.

The last is handwavy but it's fine.

ehh, they coulda done what they did in LoTSB and include some fluffy reasons for going back. extra merchants, more dialogue, some journals, maybe an extra big conversation with Aria

I dunno it just seemed kinda lame to TAKE BACK OMEGA and then have Aria ignore Omega

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I think you missed the point of my post so I'll lay it out for ya: Mass Effect 3 was loving garbage and Andromeda being bad was absolutely no surprise.

Some people might not understand that Electronic Arts

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

ehh, they coulda done what they did in LoTSB and include some fluffy reasons for going back. extra merchants, more dialogue, some journals, maybe an extra big conversation with Aria

I dunno it just seemed kinda lame to TAKE BACK OMEGA and then have Aria ignore Omega

LotSB didn't have most of that. The only thing the Shadow Broker ship had was Liara (who only had a conversation immediately after you beat the Shadow Broker, after that it was "hello Shepard"), Feron (who had a few lines and that's if you knew where to find him), some stuff that made sense for the Shadow Broker to have (intel/videos, lists of planets you could mine if you really needed platinum by this point in the game), and a research station/weapon locker which you had on your ship anyway. Oh and that thing that let you place bets.

It was so far out of the way, I almost never visited the station post-LotSB even if I did LotSB right after Horizon to maximize my level before the Collector Ship. I'm guessing that Bioware had enough telemetry to know that if nobody was visiting Liara, they sure weren't going to visit Aria.

Maybe if they built it out as an actual hub, but that would have taken significant time to do - the only Mass Effect DLC that included anything like a hub was Citadel, which was the ME's team "goodbye fans" DLC and the Strip was a huge part of the DLC, rather than "here's a way you can visit Morlan's Famous Shop :)"

You know, I'm curious how many people visited the shops. I just stopped by each shop once and then bought everything from the ship since it was easier even if it cost a little more.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Furism posted:

Oh I believe you when you say there are bigger problems, but I do think the animation team was led by the Ministry of Silly Walks and it's goofy and breaks ~~my immersion~~ way to much.

That Kotaku article said the animation team was chronically understaffed, so Bioware basically got what they paid for.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
just gotta say that reading on the experiences and problems of the andromeda dev team really sucks a lot of th3 fun out of laughing at andromeda. it's depressing, really, and more of a cautionary tale than a hilarious train wreck.

which is why no man's sky will never stop being funny.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Mass Effect should have stayed an xbox/PC Microsoft Games exclusive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The hype surrounding NMS probably contributed to Andromeda's insistence on procedural gameplay long past the point at which it should have been axed, so in one sense it's the gift that keeps on giving.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Fututor Magnus posted:

just gotta say that reading on the experiences and problems of the andromeda dev team really sucks a lot of th3 fun out of laughing at andromeda. it's depressing, really, and more of a cautionary tale than a hilarious train wreck.

nah it's still pretty funny imho, like it sucks for the low level programmers or whatever who had to slog through but it's kind of amusing to look at a dev cycle of nonstop bad decisions :allears:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fututor Magnus posted:

which is why no man's sky will never stop being funny.

I would share more sympathy if they hadn't sold me their lovely game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I didn't realize they did so many cinematics or N7 missions for ME2. Though - were any of the N7 missions very good in the second game? Maybe the malfunctioning mech missions?

Not really. The best ones were the malfunctioning mechs/rogue VI missions, but most of the N7 missions were just boring shooting galleries.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think the janky animations impacted the game's critical reception more than people give it credit for. It's a very early impression that gives off the vibe that this is some lower-shelf game. Pretty graphics can hypnotise a lot of reviewers - couple that with the brand's name and frontloading with content in such a long title and Bioware would have probably gotten away with their predicted metascore. Those animations, models and other missteps made people go "wait a minute" right from the beginning.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Palpek posted:

I think the janky animations impacted the game's critical reception more than people give it credit for. It's a very early impression that gives off the vibe that this is some lower-shelf game. Pretty graphics can hypnotise a lot of reviewers - couple that with the brand's name and frontloading with content in such a long title and Bioware would have probably gotten away with their predicted metascore. Those animations, models and other missteps made people go "wait a minute" right from the beginning.

I mean they released major gameplay videos with PeeBee holding her gun backwards.

Yeah it's just a tiny shot but it's gonna cause people to wonder, if they missed that, what else did they miss? As it turns out the answer was "well, everything"

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not really. The best ones were the malfunctioning mechs/rogue VI missions, but most of the N7 missions were just boring shooting galleries.

I'm guessing they did the "N7 missions" in ME3 as well - the ones that took place on multiplayer maps, which made sense since they made the maps. Those missions were just shooting galleries but they were at least decent fun and came with Hackett briefings. Not saying they were good compared to ME's N7 missions which tended to have an actual story and/or voice acting ("CORPORAL TOOMBS :byodood:") but it was an improvement over the boring filler in ME2. Remember the one where you have to keep putting a battery in one of those giant mecs every ten feet?

In retrospect Montreal should have given them Anthem since it looks like a multiplayer type game with not much of a story, and since everyone is inside a mech suit they wouldn't have needed facial animations.:v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I'm guessing they did the "N7 missions" in ME3 as well - the ones that took place on multiplayer maps, which made sense since they made the maps. Those missions were just shooting galleries but they were at least decent fun and came with Hackett briefings. Not saying they were good compared to ME's N7 missions which tended to have an actual story and/or voice acting ("CORPORAL TOOMBS :byodood:") but it was an improvement over the boring filler in ME2. Remember the one where you have to keep putting a battery in one of those giant mecs every ten feet?

In retrospect Montreal should have given them Anthem since it looks like a multiplayer type game with not much of a story, and since everyone is inside a mech suit they wouldn't have needed facial animations.:v:

I never even did the N7 missions in 2 because they had zero impact on the story and do nothing to carry over to 3. Those missions in 3 were at least fun and gave war assets.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I never even did the N7 missions in 2 because they had zero impact on the story and do nothing to carry over to 3. Those missions in 3 were at least fun and gave war assets.

Excuse me but some of them gave upgrades for Mordin to research. I always did the Hammerhead missions early because one of them (the one on the volcano planet?) gave you a medigel upgrade which was really helpful early in the game on harder difficulties.

But yeah they were mostly :effort: and it was more fun to use the save editor to give yourself the upgrades.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Drifter posted:

i have much sympathy for the devs and for the stress and bullshit they endured all those years. i have no sympathy for corporate bioware and ea. think about who was most fine and happy with shipping this lovely game; it wasn't the actual people making the game, it seems, for the most part.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not to mention that, Asari aside, the other races all actually look like they evolved in their homeworld's environment rather than just being random alien species. The Angarans are a random mishmash of traits for generic alien features.

This is fitting considering they are a constructed or created species

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Drifter posted:

Did you, Drifter, of all people, actually buy this game? I am the OP of this thread and I didn't do that!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

marshmallow creep posted:

Did you, Drifter, of all people, actually buy this game? I am the OP of this thread and I didn't do that!
I KNOW, right?!?
It was at a significantly reduced amount. Still super pissed. :mad: It was a bad game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I paid money for this. Pre ordered and absolutely got my entertainment out of it, no regrets.

But I would never in a heartbeat recommend anyone every play this flawed product and I'm glad the franchise has been put to sleep like the sick mangy dog it is.

I've had my video game fast food meal and enjoyed it while I ate it. Now I'm looking at the empty tray and feeling sick at the sensation of all that Bioware grease in my stomach.

Would I like to order another KFC Sloppy Pizza Burger King Bioware happy meal? No, no I would not.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pattonesque posted:

To be fair, that's more about not breaking other quest triggers than lazy storytelling.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm playing a proper good RPG again. Tyranny.

Wow is all I'm going to say. I've already played through it (when it first released) but playing it after Andromeda is pretty :laffo:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

Wow is all I'm going to say. I've already played through it (when it first released) but playing it after Andromeda is pretty :laffo:

I thought Tyranny was pretty good, but I have zero desire to play through a second time. Wasn't a big fan of the characters, either, although they were way better written than Andromeda.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

DancingShade posted:

Since everything is cooldown-based in Tyranny you must feel right at home after ME.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
firstly, can someone repost the EA shooting their purchased companies in a murder pit image again

secondly

i only know this song from watching people in WoW murder mourners, it was very funny

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DancingShade posted:

Yeah, I'm downloading the update on my slow-rear end Internet, can't wait to finally play a faithful footsoldier of the Overlord :allears:

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, I'm downloading the update on my slow-rear end Internet, can't wait to finally play a faithful footsoldier of the Overlord :allears:

that's only available when the expansions released fam

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Evidently they completely changed the Tempest reveal cutscene with the latest patch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJbTixZso8s

Just more evidence in the "this game wasn't finished on release" bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

Evidently they completely changed the Tempest reveal cutscene with the latest patch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJbTixZso8s

Just more evidence in the "this game wasn't finished on release" bucket.

I'm going to miss Ryder's autistic expression of "that's a nice space steam locomotive" as it pulls into the space train station.

*thinks*

You know, if I ever play Andromeda again.