Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

A bunch of Chinese kids pulled my arm hair when I was there.

This year I had a student, an American, here in America. Emotionally challenged class, I try to cut these kids a lot of slack. But gently caress, by the time he moved away I was well into actively hating that kid.

Once, when he took a break from continually insulting every other student in the room (always with a big poo poo eating grin on his face, right up until one of them hits him, at which time he would cry like a baby), he decided to grab a big handful of my arm hair and YANK as hard as he could. Not in response to anything. We had just been sitting and working quietly together for a while. He just thought it'd be fun to pull my arm hair so hard he left a welt. Looked me right in the eye after he did it, with a big poo poo-eating grin on his face and wiggled his ears. (That's what he'd do whenever he was being an rear end in a top hat. Big smile, ears wiggling.)

Oh yeah and he was a creepy budding sexual predator, too.

What happens to kids like that in China?
that kid's got chinese middle management written all over him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Jeoh posted:

red beans are good, durian is good, ya'll are bad

You're exactly right.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPaupb3pdMY

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/13/532788702/panama-cuts-ties-with-taiwan-opts-to-support-china-instead

quote:

Panama Cuts Ties With Taiwan, Opts To Support China Instead

Panama's minister of foreign affairs, Isabel de Saint Malo de Alvarado, shakes hands with China's foreign minister, Wang Yi, during a joint press briefing Tuesday in Beijing.

Panama has announced that it is cutting ties with Taiwan and instead establishing relations with China. The shift is a major win for China as it seeks to isolate Taiwan, which now has diplomatic relations with just 20 countries.

China and Panama announced the move in a joint statement, saying it was in the "interest and wishes of both peoples." The two countries agreed to exchange ambassadors.

"The Government of the Republic of Panama recognizes that there is only one China in the world, the Government of the People's Republic of China is the only legitimate government representing all of China, and Taiwan is an inalienable part of the Chinese territory," the statement reads.

"Eleven of the 20 countries left that recognize Taiwan are in Latin America and the Caribbean," NPR's Carrie Kahn reported. Of the countries that still have ties, Panama has the largest economy.

The Panama Canal is a crucial waterway for trade. NPR's Anthony Kuhn reports from Beijing that Panama "is emerging as a hub for China to ship its goods to South America, and Beijing has invested millions of dollars in infrastructure around the Panama Canal."

China considers Taiwan a breakaway territory, and relations between Beijing and Taipei have recently grown more tense. "Beijing does not trust Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-wen, whose party has traditionally taken a pro-independence stance," Anthony says, "so it has used investment and other incentives to lure away Taiwan's diplomatic partners."

Taiwan is slamming the shift in ties. Minister of Foreign Affairs David Lee called it "most unfriendly" and said that Panama had been deceitful "until the last moment," according to the Taipei Times.

Taiwan "strongly protests and condemns Beijing for luring Panama to switch diplomatic ties, squeezing Taiwan's space in the international community and hurting Taiwanese feelings," Lee said.

Other countries in the region with ties to Taiwan have issued little response. Guatemala declined to comment, Reuters reported. An official from Honduras, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the news service that the country intended to maintain ties.

Ross Feingold, a senior adviser at D.C. International Advisory, tells The New York Times that Panama was one of Taiwan's most important allies – and now, "it is very possible that the remaining countries will switch."

I guess Best China also gets its feelings hurt from time to time.

This does really suck, though.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Which Kung Fu let's me do this?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Dude, bee style obviously.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

The rules of the road of the peoples republic of china 2017
1)Generally go with the direction of traffic, unless you are doing something important, then you can have a try and do your own thing.
2)It is mandatory for ebikes to ignore red lights and all road rules.
3)Stay in the pack, if you leave the pack, you will be inconveinanced unless you are doing something important.
4)Blue trucks have right of way, at all times, in all places.
5)Red trucks can have a rest wherever it is conveinant.
6)All traffic police instructions are to be ignored.
7)As a vehicle, you can use pedestrian crossings to cross the road.
8)If you touch a pedestrian, it is best to keep driving.
9)In the event of an accident either a) get out and anger waggle of fingers with push shove or b) lie and moan on the ground until a crowd forms
10)Expensive cars have right of way at all times except when in conflict with Blue trucks.
11)If you have left a gap, you have lost it, try to be more important next time.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Do people in China generally not gently caress with people in expensive cars, fearing possible high-up government/crime connections?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

An expensive blue luxury truck could possibly destroy China.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

quote:

Aliases:
Jack Wang, "UglyGorilla"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I watched a bunch of traffic cam footage then went to bed, dreaming that I hit a homeless man and just kept going

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Devils Affricate posted:

Do people in China generally not gently caress with people in expensive cars, fearing possible high-up government/crime connections?

Yes. There is always the fear that someone with an especially expensive car (not just your average Audi/Mercedes) will have connections that would work in their favour should you cross them. Also if you happen to damage their car, the judge (who they will bribe) will make you pay for the damages. There was a famous case where a guy in a cheap Chinese car dented a Bently/Maybach/Rolls in China, and the cost to fix a scratch, dent, and replace a turn signal was going to be more than his expected yearly wages for the next decade or two.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

BCR posted:

traffic lights are for cars
crossing lights are for pedestrians (thats why they have a figure of a walking man)
so if im on a bike or scooter i can just go whenever i want

also one thing thats been great is a crackdown on people using car horns, which has reduced noise pollution.
as part of this crackdown there is now at least one police officer at every intersection during busy hours, and his job is to blow a lifeguard whistle multiple times to indicate when the traffic light has changed, as well as to blow it furiously at anyone who is trying to cross against the light (almost everyone)

so now all day every day at my apartment i hear far more whistling than i ever heard car horns

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Why can't it be gunshots instead?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Anyone who commutes by private car inside Beijing's 4th ring road should be shot.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

VideoTapir posted:

Anyone who commutes by private car inside Beijing's 4th ring road should be shot.

I remember thinking it would be cool if they had those Aeon Flux-style gun turrets mounted on top of traffic lights that would activate during red lights and fire a dart/bullet through the windshield of someone driving through the light

an out-of-commission person speeding through the intersection really isnt much different here in terms of danger to everyone else, since nobody ever uses their brakes

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Using the breaks is admitting you were wrong, huge loss of face.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

BCR posted:

1)Generally go with the direction of traffic, unless you are doing something important, then you can have a try and do your own thing.
3)Stay in the pack, if you leave the pack, you will be inconveinanced unless you are doing something important.
9)In the event of an accident either a) get out and anger waggle of fingers with push shove or b) lie and moan on the ground until a crowd forms
10)Expensive cars have right of way at all times except when in conflict with Blue trucks.
11)If you have left a gap, you have lost it, try to be more important next time.

12) THERE IS A RULE: A traditional Chinese rule.... If you MUST pass someone, you must absolutely do it in front of them, endangering both of you. It is tremendous face loss to go behind them or to slow and let them pass first. While safer, there is no face to be gained if you do not blatantly show the person you are zipping in front of them. It is a travesty if you do not follow this rule. This applies to cars, trucks, bikes, and even pedestrians. ME FIRST, always and forever.

13) If you have something that can make noise, you automatically have the right of way. Even if it's a rental bike and there are 30+ people walking tightly in front of you because construction has limited the sidewalk to a single meter's width. If you can make noise with your tiny bell, you demand and earn the right of way. It doesn't matter if you're going slower than everyone else, you are king, allowed to direct the peasants on foot.

14) Sidewalk etiquette: When there are two people talking, they must walk side by side, taking as much space as possible. Meandering and zig-zagging is the preferred method. When there are six people in a group, they must also walk side by side. The larger the group of people, the more important it is that their shoulder's be connected and the sidewalk space be taken. Act offended and shocked that people want to pass through your group, and tsk and scoff every time you must separate for a moment.***

15) Escalator etiquette: If you want to stand, stand on the right. If you want to walk up, walk on the left. If you want to stand on the left, ok, do that too. If there are two+ in your group, then hog the entire escalator. If you are walking up and someone is standing on the left side DO NOT tap their shoulder to make them follow the rules and let you pass. That would cause IMMENSE face loss for both of to remind the person they are being a dipshit. It is better to stop, take out your phone, and pretend to look at Wechat until you arrive at the top of the escalator. Forget the 20 people behind you who were walking up and would benefit from you having the balls to handle a situation.

***I saw one of these groups ahead of me one night, it was like eight drat people taken up the entire sidewalk from fence to street. There was a pile of people behind them who wanted to pass but were too face-weak to do anything. They were literally shoulder to should, arm in arm like some sort of sidewalk game of Red Rover. I figured it was Red Rover, so I just walked right through two of the guys. One yelped loudly while the other let out a bunch of expletives until he saw I was not Chinese. Much face was gained by me that night.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I think a lot of the "I live in a bubble I am right I have the right of way I am king I go first only I matter and I am great at everything" face attitude thing is because when the bubble cracks and even a little bit of reality is allowed to seep in, it's the thin end of the wedge and the nightmare hellscape of chinese life threatens to burst the bounds like a torrent and flood in.

The fundamental fact of all life in China seemed to me to be tension. It's why every reaction is extreme, one little push and it snaps.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
face is for loving

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BCR posted:

lol

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Haier posted:

14) Sidewalk etiquette: When there are two people talking, they must walk side by side, taking as much space as possible. Meandering and zig-zagging is the preferred method. When there are six people in a group, they must also walk side by side. The larger the group of people, the more important it is that their shoulder's be connected and the sidewalk space be taken. Act offended and shocked that people want to pass through your group, and tsk and scoff every time you must separate for a moment.***

i call this bullshit Tandem Tortoise
absolutely must be lockstep and slow as gently caress, with arms/bags held wide to the side, or even better hold a shopping bag between the two of you with each person holding a handle, and then stand as far apart as the bag will allow

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

BCR posted:

Haier posted:

12) THERE IS A RULE: A traditional Chinese rule.... If you MUST pass someone, you must absolutely do it in front of them, endangering both of you. It is tremendous face loss to go behind them or to slow and let them pass first. While safer, there is no face to be gained if you do not blatantly show the person you are zipping in front of them. It is a travesty if you do not follow this rule. This applies to cars, trucks, bikes, and even pedestrians. ME FIRST, always and forever.

13) If you have something that can make noise, you automatically have the right of way. Even if it's a rental bike and there are 30+ people walking tightly in front of you because construction has limited the sidewalk to a single meter's width. If you can make noise with your tiny bell, you demand and earn the right of way. It doesn't matter if you're going slower than everyone else, you are king, allowed to direct the peasants on foot.

15) Escalator etiquette: If you want to stand, stand on the right. If you want to walk up, walk on the left. If you want to stand on the left, ok, do that too. If there are two+ in your group, then hog the entire escalator. If you are walking up and someone is standing on the left side DO NOT tap their shoulder to make them follow the rules and let you pass. That would cause IMMENSE face loss for both of to remind the person they are being a dipshit. It is better to stop, take out your phone, and pretend to look at Wechat until you arrive at the top of the escalator. Forget the 20 people behind you who were walking up and would benefit from you having the balls to handle a situation.

***I saw one of these groups ahead of me one night, it was like eight drat people taken up the entire sidewalk from fence to street. There was a pile of people behind them who wanted to pass but were too face-weak to do anything. They were literally shoulder to should, arm in arm like some sort of sidewalk game of Red Rover. I figured it was Red Rover, so I just walked right through two of the guys. One yelped loudly while the other let out a bunch of expletives until he saw I was not Chinese. Much face was gained by me that night.

16) Children thrive when they are catapulted at high speeds from a moving vehicle; any restraints or attempts to protect your little bundle will cause your child deep shame. remember- it's better for your child to lose their actual face than their metaphorical face!

17) If you cannot drive while texting and not looking out the window, they revoke your license.

18) The sidewalk is not for walking.

19) Only slow down if you see someone waiting to use the crosswalk. If someone is already in the crosswalk, aim your vehicle at them and speed up, as a warning.

20) Let foreigners know they are foreigners by screaming at and/or following them.

21) Any car is a taxi.

22) Any taxi is a shared taxi.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

LentThem posted:

i call this bullshit Tandem Tortoise
absolutely must be lockstep and slow as gently caress, with arms/bags held wide to the side, or even better hold a shopping bag between the two of you with each person holding a handle, and then stand as far apart as the bag will allow
I hate this so much, mainly because of how dumb it is. I saw a college-aged couple carrying a big bag of stuff a few days ago and when I walked by I could see the contents. It was couple bags of tissue, probably weighing a total of 2kg. I constantly see people doing this with the saddest amounts of things, and you know with how anemic this society is that they are struggling to carry this stuff.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

16) Children thrive when they are catapulted at high speeds from a moving vehicle; any restraints or attempts to protect your little bundle will cause your child deep shame. remember- it's better for your child to lose their actual face than their metaphorical face!
I'm a fan of letting toddlers stand in those shopping baskets with wheels, because of the constant stopping and going, the kids tend to bash their heads on the ground while mom/grandma scolds them for not being careful because it is obviously the kid's fault.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Haier posted:

I hate this so much, mainly because of how dumb it is. I saw a college-aged couple carrying a big bag of stuff a few days ago and when I walked by I could see the contents. It was couple bags of tissue, probably weighing a total of 2kg. I constantly see people doing this with the saddest amounts of things, and you know with how anemic this society is that they are struggling to carry this stuff.

Or they think they're being cute. It's more annoying than couple clothes- "Tee-hee, we're carrying this bag together! :D :D :D"

Last weekend, we're trying to get out of the subway, but this couple is literally straddling the entire staircase, holding hands and stretching waaaaaay out far so they could both hold on to the railings on either side, completely blocking the whole deal. My husband grabbed me and we started imitating them, and some old lady gave US a dirty look :laffo:

Oh, and when we got out, this random girl literally RAN to catch up with us and said "Hello!" really excitedly to my husband while jogging alongside. She had to jog to keep up with our normal walking speed. I bet she needs a lot of help carrying tissues.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Haier posted:

Yeah I never understood doing this unless it's like hand-holding for people that are uncomfortable with intimacy. I mean I have weak goony arms but the bag itself is going to rip long before it's holding a weight that I can't lift on my own.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ferengi want your repeat business and care about their reputation.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

oohhboy posted:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

oohhboy posted:

Post the suit.

e: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Are these for real? I could watch the next Star Wars on this bitch's face. In Imax.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Are these for real? I could watch the next Star Wars on this bitch's face. In Imax.

Foreheads are unlucky and so through careful selection china is working on producing citizens born with the lucky sevenhead.

Or all of the heavy metal poisoning is leading to early onset hair loss.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
google "hun skull"

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zil posted:

Foreheads are unlucky and so through careful selection china is working on producing citizens born with the lucky sevenhead.

Or all of the heavy metal poisoning is leading to early onset hair loss.

"four"heads and eightheads. Sevenheads are a western construct and have no place in chinar

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stringent posted:

google "hun skull"

Hey now

The Huns were highly organized and effective

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Here, hatters are lamenting that their craft is dying out. Little do they know that the streets are paved with gold in the east.

By 2020, all those fiveheads could be covered by traditional western hats

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I'm not a fan of Japanese azuki bean stuff, but my Taiwanese neighbour made me these flat circle pastry things with red bean inside, holy poo poo they were good!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its okay as long as its not the dry ball of sawdust it generally is in most mass produced applications. Those pancake pastries with red bean are pretty good as long as the bread is sweet enough and the red bean isnt much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Adzuki is better than all humans and most pets.

• Locked thread