Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

HonorableTB posted:

Anyone else having a huge bug with CQUI that removes all of the loving UI elements from your screen when you meet a new civilization? I can't play this without CQUI and it's been happening for a couple of weeks now. I've posted in the Steam discussion comments about it and haven't gotten an answer from the mod maker, but it's happening to other people too. It's literally impossible to play because you can't take any actions and also don't have a UI. I'm not running any other mods so it's definitely a bug with CQUI and I wish the creator would fix it.

Having no UI still sounds like an improvement over VI's default UI.

Have you tried the civfanatics thread? The modders monitor this thread.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/cqui-a-ui-overhaul-now-out-on-steam-workshop.602771/

A couple of suggestions:

Have you unistalled/reinstalled Civ VI and then CQUI?

Have you edited any files to set defaults for CQUI? I think the modders may have actually explained how to do that, but it was causing issues; especially if you change the size of the minimap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

The Human Crouton posted:

Having no UI still sounds like an improvement over VI's default UI.

Have you tried the civfanatics thread? The modders monitor this thread.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/cqui-a-ui-overhaul-now-out-on-steam-workshop.602771/

A couple of suggestions:

Have you unistalled/reinstalled Civ VI and then CQUI?

Have you edited any files to set defaults for CQUI? I think the modders may have actually explained how to do that, but it was causing issues; especially if you change the size of the minimap.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, and I haven't made any edits to the CQUI files.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Does anyone know how to mod the included TSL Earth map to have more than 8 civs? I like it crowded but the YNAEMP maps are too big for my pc.

Can you possibly just do this in the advanced setup menu? Think you can just keep adding civs

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

If you do that, it just chooses 8 civs randomly anyway.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Easy way to fix religion is make the units cost more but also be more powerful.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I would rather they make it more interesting than more expensive.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Yeah, more expensive units still don't make you care about religion, and the computer would still spam them anyway compared to you because of bonuses.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Having an alliance with a religious civ is like receiving free maps of the world, so that's a thing that's nice about the missionary spam.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

Having an alliance with a religious civ is like receiving free maps of the world, so that's a thing that's nice about the missionary spam.

Interesting tactic. I'll have to try it out. Thanks!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is this game still broken to the point where the AI can't attack cities with walls, or have they made big improvements since release?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Internet Explorer posted:

Is this game still broken to the point where the AI can't attack cities with walls, or have they made big improvements since release?

The first one, more or less. I gave up on it about three months ago 'cause they're never going to make the AI any good at combat. They've had two games to get the 1 UPT AI right and it's not even in the right galaxy. So many mechanics in this game are balanced against the idea that the AI players will keep you in check with the threat of war, but that threat is either so toothless (normal difficulties) or ridiculous (every single tile occupied by enemy units at higher difficulties) that the game doesn't work.

For Civ 7 I hope they take a long look at their 1 UPT AI and make the decision to just drop it if they can't fix it. Stacks in Civ 4 weren't the greatest, but at least the AI could loving use one.

Agent Smithcoin
Jun 15, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's a city I saw on reddit with triple canal access and two mountains

Internet Explorer posted:

AI is poo poo, playing anything less than immortal is easy mode. Immortal+ just lets them zerg rush you at turn 20. Building, expanding, and managing econ are the only fun parts of solo play imo.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

What is so special about canals? Everyone seems to fawn over them on Reddit.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Agent Smithcoin posted:

AI is poo poo, playing anything less than immortal is easy mode. Immortal+ just lets them zerg rush you at turn 20. Building, expanding, and managing econ are the only fun parts of solo play imo.

PBEM or go home.

Speaking of: this is the slow time at my office and I can hop on fairly often to play a quick duel game if anyone's interested. I'm already in a couple so I can probably only add one more. If anyone wants a fast-paced Civ 6 PYDT duel and has all the DLC hit me up.

Agent Smithcoin
Jun 15, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Peas and Rice posted:

PBEM or go home.
http://multiplayerrobot.com/ I used to use this for Civ V games, don't think it supports VI though

Niwrad posted:

What is so special about canals? Everyone seems to fawn over them on Reddit.
:spergin: and naval convenience. But mostly :spergin: .

Agent Smithcoin fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 16, 2017

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Agent Smithcoin posted:

http://multiplayerrobot.com/ I used to use this for Civ V games, don't think it supports VI though

The new hotness is https://www.playyourdamnturn.com which has a great client that works on Mac and Windows, and pretty much every feature of GMR.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I think I've built holy sites in only one or two games, didn't realize you could still buy stuff with faith, but I was thinking something more like +2 culture since it would be an ancient site to a dead religion within your city limits or whatever.

There were a couple games where I tried to go after a religion just to do a holy war casus belli but got bored/frustrated about halfway through and just did a regular domination game.

I find 1-2 holy sites don't hurt one bit even in a non-religious civ because it's an alternate resource to buy great people with. And if you're going cultural, having a cathedral about to dump a lousy Religious work doesn't hurt.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Gort posted:

The first one, more or less. I gave up on it about three months ago 'cause they're never going to make the AI any good at combat. They've had two games to get the 1 UPT AI right and it's not even in the right galaxy. So many mechanics in this game are balanced against the idea that the AI players will keep you in check with the threat of war, but that threat is either so toothless (normal difficulties) or ridiculous (every single tile occupied by enemy units at higher difficulties) that the game doesn't work.

For Civ 7 I hope they take a long look at their 1 UPT AI and make the decision to just drop it if they can't fix it. Stacks in Civ 4 weren't the greatest, but at least the AI could loving use one.

It's totally doable to have 1UPT and have it not be poo poo. The Civ devs are uninterested in making the AI good at combat.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Peas and Rice posted:

The new hotness is https://www.playyourdamnturn.com which has a great client that works on Mac and Windows, and pretty much every feature of GMR.

If anyone wants to try this (and isn't gonna flake out after 50 turns) I'd be so down. As other people have mentioned, the lack of AI makes civ not very interesting as a single player game.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Scenarios should work too, though be warned that you're not going to get the single-player popups. Just be warned that you'll have to select 'Other / Unknown / Custom' or so when creating the game and then ensure that you have exactly as many player slots as the scenario allows.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? I wanted to take the city from Peter, and instead I've returned it? It seems like the deal is set up properly, though.

If this is a bug, it's a pretty frustrating one :(

Mata posted:

If anyone wants to try this (and isn't gonna flake out after 50 turns) I'd be so down. As other people have mentioned, the lack of AI makes civ not very interesting as a single player game.

I'm in three games already, it's great. I was thinking about starting another one but maybe that would be a bit too much to handle? There are other people though. Peas and Rice has been just knocked out from one game, and Roland Jones (not sure about his SA nick) has been almost defeated in Spring Goon Game, maybe they'd want more? Anyway, do try it.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I also encourage those who may want more relaxed multiplayer​ experience to try a PYDT game, the spring game may be on hiatus but it has taught me among other things the joy of being backstabbed (it IS actually fun).

I currently have my hands full with work and stuff home and have neglected my other games (goon 3 sorry guys, and another one with pubbies), but should have more time in the following weeks, so if anyone is planning another game and lack a 6th player I would gladly join.

I would also give preference to RJ and goons from the other games before of course, but I'm always up for more civ. :pcgaming:

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Well hit me up if a new PYDT game is getting started, if it's okay that I only have aztec DLC. I played a bunch of GMR games in Civ5 and have good turn discipline & no IRL obligations ever.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

N'thing PYDT. It's been a ton of fun.

Ulvino posted:

the spring game may be on hiatus

Sorry again! As soon as I have a new motherboard we'll get this going.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

markus_cz posted:

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? I wanted to take the city from Peter, and instead I've returned it? It seems like the deal is set up properly, though.

If this is a bug, it's a pretty frustrating one :(

I'm in three games already, it's great. I was thinking about starting another one but maybe that would be a bit too much to handle? There are other people though. Peas and Rice has been just knocked out from one game, and Roland Jones (not sure about his SA nick) has been almost defeated in Spring Goon Game, maybe they'd want more? Anyway, do try it.

Edit: Oops, I misread the screenshot. Anyway, I have found the cede mechanic buggy, maybe using that UI mod influenced it for me but in my last game I got all occupied cities in a deal despite never using the cede option.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 19, 2017

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Ulvino posted:

I currently have my hands full with work and stuff home and have neglected my other games (goon 3 sorry guys, and another one with pubbies), but should have more time in the following weeks, so if anyone is planning another game and lack a 6th player I would gladly join.

Oh I was trying to contact you on Steam and badger you into playing your drat turn. ;) Have any idea how long yet? If I could ask you... could you maybe post the explanation in the game's thread at PYDT? I'm not sure everyone's reading this here, and it's always easier to wait if you know what's going on than if you don't.

Mata posted:

Well hit me up if a new PYDT game is getting started, if it's okay that I only have aztec DLC. I played a bunch of GMR games in Civ5 and have good turn discipline & no IRL obligations ever.

You should probably just start the game yourself, and post the link here for other people to join. Initiative does wonders!

fnox
May 19, 2013

So after an insanely long game on an Earth map, I owned 3/4 of Africa, the Japanese islands, South America, all of Europe, East Asia and the West Coast. I somehow did this without declaring war once, every single time a civ declared war on me I ended up annexing it. After defeating every single enemy only my alliance formed by Egypt, Sumeria and America remained, and I decided that I might as well just go out with a bang, and nuke every single one of their cities. So I spent an hour or so stockpiling thermonuclear weapons, setting up air bases, nuclear subs and missile silos so I could take out every single city in the planet simultaneously. In 1972 I decided to press the big red button, and in a single turn 9/10ths of the population not living in my cities was annihilated, however, I saw that none of my former allies had declared war on me despite the obvious act of war I had just committed. I thought it was a glitch, and that retaliation would come in the very next turn.

The leader pictures start popping up and...They're complimenting me on the 500+ gold that I'm making every turn now that I'm not paying maintenance for 30 nukes :smith:. 10 turns later and they still haven't noticed that I brought a nuclear apocalypse to their cities. I don't even have a negative diplomatic bonus from nuking them. 20 turns later and Gilgamesh is telling me how I'm a really good friend and he'll remember that.

fnox fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 20, 2017

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

fnox posted:

So after an insanely long game on an Earth map, I owned 3/4 of Africa, the Japanese islands, South America, all of Europe, East Asia and the West Coast. I somehow did this without declaring war once, every single time a civ declared war on me I ended up annexing it. After defeating every single enemy only my alliance formed by Egypt, Sumeria and America remained, and I decided that I might as well just go out with a bang, and nuke every single one of their cities. So I spent an hour or so stockpiling thermonuclear weapons, setting up air bases, nuclear subs and missile silos so I could take out every single city in the planet simultaneously. In 1972 I decided to press the big red button, and in a single turn 9/10ths of the population not living in my cities was annihilated, however, I saw that none of my former allies had declared war on me despite the obvious act of war I had just committed. I thought it was a glitch, and that retaliation would come in the very next turn.

The leader pictures start popping up and...They're complimenting me on the 500+ gold that I'm making every turn now that I'm not paying maintenance for 30 nukes :smith:. 10 turns later and they still haven't noticed that I brought a nuclear apocalypse to their cities. I don't even have a negative diplomatic bonus from nuking them. 20 turns later and Gilgamesh is telling me how I'm a really good friend and he'll remember that.

They no longer have to build any amenities, you did a wonderful thing for them.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

fnox posted:

In 1972 I decided to press the big red button, and in a single turn 9/10ths of the population not living in my cities was annihilated, however, I saw that none of my former allies had declared war on me despite the obvious act of war I had just committed. I thought it was a glitch, and that retaliation would come in the very next turn.

They're dead. What you're seeing is your guilt.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How do I spread religion passively? Usually I can keep my cities about 3/4 full of my religion my killing off incoming missionaries, but this game I wiped out all my neighbors too quickly.

I know I can do it with missionaries, but that's both tedious and expensive in faith points. In previous games in the series religion would spread passively to nearby cities, but that doesn't seem to be happening here. Even the city I founded my religion in is showing 10 out of 12 citizens with my religion and the other 2 are athiests I guess.
The in city view shows me as not having any of the religion bonuses for some reason though.

Edit: That's what I mean. I can see the remnants of the defeated civ's religions spreading passively in a few places in my territory, but there are no up arrows to indicate my own religion is spreading.
\/\/\/\/\/

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 21, 2017

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It does spread passively. There are arrows showing you the pressure under the religion lens I think.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Man this game could be hot garbage (it isn't) and I would love it if only because of the soundtrack. I swear every two weeks I try to listen only ONE theme and end up listening for hours while imagining cool history stuff.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Is this game still bad?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

No. Was it ever bad?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Game is good, people like to provoke.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Game is good, but could be so much better. This upsets a lot of people.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Negrostrike posted:

No. Was it ever bad?

Uhhhhh lol

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

KyloWinter posted:

Is this game still bad?

If you thought it was bad at release, you would probably still feel that.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This game is fine and good depending on what you're looking to get out of it.

It sucks if you're looking for a challenging strategy game with an intelligent AI.

It's awesome if you just want to chill and plop cities on a map and occasionally stomp the poo poo out of an AI that barely understands the game.

I've always thought that the game was a marginal improvement over BNW and thus I've played the poo poo out of it with the same people I played BNW with and we all like it.

That said, it's sort of run its course and now we're waiting for an expansion. I've played maybe one game in the past few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, the game really needs a better patch schedule to keep it fresh. Firaxis were doing pretty well at first, but they've dropped off to their usual schedule now. I haven't played in months.

AI and balance are pretty poor still, unfortunately.