Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
hey let's look at the investor slide deck:

* Ultima Online is twenty years old
* 1MM total players is not that many these days
* No crowdfunded MMO has ever worked

This slide is amazing, and I would like whomever wrote it to be my marketing consultant. It's absolutely brilliant. This slide misses the point by such a wide gulf I'm surprised the author's soul hasn't torn from their body.

I... I love this slide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

extra stout posted:

are you kidding me lmao

banned for a fake reason, the real reason is that i copy/pasted the reddit thread about their upcoming bankruptcy to people asking about if they'll get a finished game or their physical promised 'rewards'

HOLY poo poo.

"to get everyone to not be interested in the game"

Is this a joke? Am I being pranked? Where's Alan Funt? What's going on here?

And they accuse you of legal threats in the same breath. That's equally great.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Thursday Next posted:

hey let's look at the investor slide deck:

* Ultima Online is twenty years old
* 1MM total players is not that many these days
* No crowdfunded MMO has ever worked

This slide is amazing, and I would like whomever wrote it to be my marketing consultant. It's absolutely brilliant. This slide misses the point by such a wide gulf I'm surprised the author's soul hasn't torn from their body.

I... I love this slide.

UO being the single fact on the entire thing that is worth being proud of is hilarious, *ONE OF US DID A THING IN 1997! THAT'S WORTH SOMETHING, MONEY NOW EVEN.

Thursday Next posted:

HOLY poo poo.

"to get everyone to not be interested in the game"

Is this a joke? Am I being pranked? Where's Alan Funt? What's going on here?

And they accuse you of legal threats in the same breath. That's equally great.

vote this up on steam so a few devs and customers see it before the unpaid forum mods delete it, thanks

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=946158492

extra stout fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 13, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Hey to be fair

They have TWO guys that made UO, not one

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
The forums are getting rid of those who ask for refunds, they are being cleansed of all the je-- jerks.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hey lum,

why don't you come on down and try to explain all this poo poo to us, the people who helped pay you for a couple years

thanks

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

TheAgent posted:

hey lum,

why don't you come on down and try to explain all this poo poo to us, the people who helped pay you for a couple years

thanks

Top 8 List Of Why Lum Doesn't Post Here Any More:

8: Because "I don't post here in any official capacity" is respected about as often as Richard's sartorial choices?
7: Because extra stout mocked me in LOTRO?
6: Low tolerance for being screamed at incoherently?
5: Reddit has new, shinier hatred?
4: goons.txt
3: Because I literally cannot by law talk about anything investment related thanks to SEC rules?
2: Because, surprisingly, many people who post in these threads confuse "working somewhere" with "making all the decisions"?
1: I hate you?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

whats it like to be on a very public sinking ship?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Lum_ posted:

8: Because "I don't post here in any official capacity" is respected about as often as Richard's sartorial choices?
3: Because I literally cannot by law talk about anything investment related thanks to SEC rules?
2: Because, surprisingly, many people who post in these threads confuse "working somewhere" with "making all the decisions"?

trying to deflect customer complaints with sarcasm and bans is an effective way to defuse rather than incite tension, as shown by these fine products:

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Lum_ posted:

You should tell richard to just sell his house for 35 million dollars and retire.

sit on a beach and take it easy, leave the mmo scene and video games scene alltogether.

i hope you qualify for unemployment.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Can someone just make a new Ultima game? It'd be cool to have a single player game.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Thursday Next posted:

And yeah I know reddit is popular, but just in case you were being sarcastic, I really dislike the weird comment structure they have going on. I find a lot of stuff is hidden (why?), deleted, or linked separately on a second page. It's bizarre to my old-person eyes. I can't count the number of times I follow a link to "holy crap check this thread out" only to see it deleted. And nobody quotes it, cause their comment structure is a butt.

I wasn't being sarcastic; reddit is terrible. Crowdfunded game subreddits, doubly so.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Lum_ posted:

Lum the Mad

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Good Dumplings posted:

trying to deflect customer complaints with sarcasm and bans is an effective way to defuse rather than incite tension, as shown by these fine products:

I'd be shocked if many of the complaints come from actual customers. This is SA, home of the :bandwagon:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lum_ posted:

thank you for your time and your answers, mr sessions

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

I'd be shocked if many of the complaints come from actual customers. This is SA, home of the :bandwagon:
are you really saying most backers are 100% fine with the state of the game and development and that everyone else is some troll just looking to slight lord british or something

wtf

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Lum_ posted:

I have always liked you Lum and will continue to do so.

Everything is fine. This is all okay.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

DancingShade posted:

lol yes, the best way to deal with massive criticism is to dismiss it and pretend everyone else is a troll, and furthermore

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Lum_ posted:

:member: member when you used to have thick skin? when you used to rip into terrible mmos?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Lum_ posted:

Yeah but their hatred is largely directed at women and minorities, not video games. Why would you want that?

Also I still think you are gnarly and hope you find a job at a non-sleazy company very soon.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

:member: member when you used to have thick skin? when you used to rip into terrible mmos?
stared too long into the abyss of richard garriotts rear end in a top hat

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

New to the thread, is Lum this thread's MoMa?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Nah, MoMa was a creepy shill masquerading as a random goon.

Lum is a fairly well-known person on the fringes of the mmo industry; he's not a shill as he's been using the same username across multiple sites for at least the last twenty-odd years. Most of us know his real name. He never hid the fact that he was employed at portalarium.

He came to fame a long long time ago by running a site like SA but just for Ultima Online, though he later branched out to games / life / philosophy in general.

He has a lot of banked credibility, even in this age of lovely idols caught eating turds (garriot, Roberts, Schafer, etc). The reason for that is probably precisely because he was always on the fringe; he's not a Dev or a designer or an artist. He started out by complaining about the bullshit in a weird and crummy industry.

He's more like this thread's Cyster (from wildstar).

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Seems Garriott is doing an AMA next Tuesday. I have a nagging feeling that will not go well for him. How the hell does anyone in the company think that is a good idea?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Lum the Mad lost his job at the dick sucking factory

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

HungryMedusa posted:

"to get everyone to not become interested in the game for trolling reasons"

Ha.

I'm sad I lost money on this, but it's pretty schadenfreudy to see how poorly the devs are handling everything.

Also, check out the investor webinar tomorrow!

**Upcoming Investor Webinar**

Join Richard Garriott, CEO and Creative Director of Portalarium, for an Investor Webinar on Wednesday, June 14th, at 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EDT

Register Here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2735149906524740355

Also the one redeeming thing about this project: Who remembers when Iolo played 'stones' for us live on stream? Then read a two paragraph line Richard made him read about how excited he is to join us on the 3D adventure of the future of gaming. Did Garriot end up selling Iolo's hand made (real) crossbows for him on the webstore like he promised? Was he contracted to do the soundtrack for the game, and if so how many tracks do we have access to now four years later?

edit

Don't expect the Webinar to be anything other than Garriot lying about how modest their budget has been and how carefully he has utilized it, hasn't taken a single call or question from anyone who isn't on the payroll, literally mentioned Ultima and being an astronaut for ten minutes

Garriot: "We need to hire new people, not in writing, developing or game design, but now in marketing and sales"

Third obvious in staff question on Webinar and "sorry that is all the time we have and we will not be able to answer anymore questions"

The whole thing was the same pitch from years ago with a few new lies thrown in and a claim that "this game will be able to make 12-15 million dollars a year even if it only makes as much money as Ultima Online did at 10 bucks a month"

extra stout fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 14, 2017

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
That Webinar was weird. For a company seeking investors, there was little to no detailed market analysis, company financials, no accounting for current liabilities (what's owed for pre-orders), and then at the end Garriot just throws out "Well, we could have 100k players paying $10/month in the future" for a game that's explicitly episodic, and not subscription based.

He spent most of the time discussing past achievements (including being an astronaut), details about the game, and very little discussing investment in the company, plans for profitability, market conditions, etc. Even when it came to "What happens if you don't get the money", it seemed to be, "We've always matched the size of the company to the size of the income stream, and we will continue that" (quotes are paraphrases, not exact quotes).

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Trammel posted:

That Webinar was weird. For a company seeking investors, there was little to no detailed market analysis, company financials, no accounting for current liabilities (what's owed for pre-orders), and then at the end Garriot just throws out "Well, we could have 100k players paying $10/month in the future" for a game that's explicitly episodic, and not subscription based.

He spent most of the time discussing past achievements (including being an astronaut), details about the game, and very little discussing investment in the company, plans for profitability, market conditions, etc. Even when it came to "What happens if you don't get the money", it seemed to be, "We've always matched the size of the company to the size of the income stream, and we will continue that" (quotes are paraphrases, not exact quotes).

It's because it's not aimed at real investors. SeedInvest in this context is used as a way of laundering the bad rep that comes from a second round of crowdfunding. I'm not real smart & haven't looked at the prospectus for SotA anyway, but in crowfall's seedinvest campaign, a goon pointed out that the "liability" they reported for an outstanding share was less than 10% what they were charging for shares. As an investment it's abysmal because you receive a pittance of ownership in return for your money. It's not an investment it's a largely-worthless backer reward.

EDIT: It also doesn't hurt that you can do a crowdfunding campaign where you can say that hey you know it's not me refusing to explain what the gently caress's going on, it's this darn government tying my hands, I'd love to tell you but this was too good of an opportunity for you, our esteemed customer, to not gag myself.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 14, 2017

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Lum is the thread's Caydiem

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has someone cloned pre-t2a UO and modernized the engine a bit but mostly left it the same and it's up and it's the best game ever yet? No? Oh well I'll check back in another 18 years.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

30.5 Days posted:

It's because it's not aimed at real investors. SeedInvest in this context is used as a way of laundering the bad rep that comes from a second round of crowdfunding. I'm not real smart & haven't looked at the prospectus for SotA anyway, but in crowfall's seedinvest campaign, a goon pointed out that the "liability" they reported for an outstanding share was less than 10% what they were charging for shares. As an investment it's abysmal because you receive a pittance of ownership in return for your money. It's not an investment it's a largely-worthless backer reward.

EDIT: It also doesn't hurt that you can do a crowdfunding campaign where you can say that hey you know it's not me refusing to explain what the gently caress's going on, it's this darn government tying my hands, I'd love to tell you but this was too good of an opportunity for you, our esteemed customer, to not gag myself.

lol thank goodness obama eased securities regulations, or id never have the opportunity to be scammed like this

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

I can't decide if Garriot is extremely successful or a hack. A lot of times I listen to him talk and think "Yeah, this guy is smart." Then I remember he has a rat tail and Persian Club Owner level of jewellery. He's been hugely successful at scamming people through crowdfunding and while he hasn't reached star citizen levels of money, not even Chris Roberts thought to crowdfund crowdfunding. I'm not sure if I'm depressed or impressed.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

kaempfer0080 posted:

I can't decide if Garriot is extremely successful or a hack. A lot of times I listen to him talk and think "Yeah, this guy is smart." Then I remember he has a rat tail and Persian Club Owner level of jewellery. He's been hugely successful at scamming people through crowdfunding and while he hasn't reached star citizen levels of money, not even Chris Roberts thought to crowdfund crowdfunding. I'm not sure if I'm depressed or impressed.

He's a hack op

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

soy posted:

Has someone cloned pre-t2a UO and modernized the engine a bit but mostly left it the same and it's up and it's the best game ever yet? No? Oh well I'll check back in another 18 years.

Isn't this just Legends of Aria/Shards Online?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

30.5 Days posted:

Isn't this just Legends of Aria/Shards Online?

Yea that's what I hoped but it seems like a total train wreck over there, maybe it will pull its poo poo together. Never actually played it but seems like another pre-release swamp of false promises.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

Lum is the thread's Caydiem

So what's Lum's equivalent of silent fang?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
things are great here at Portalarium and in an effort to completely silence all criticisms of our terrible piece of poo poo MMO-hybrid thing, we've decided that squelching people on our official message board isn't enough

to that end we've created a new reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/SotA_Official/ ! that way you don't have to see the last six people who actually play this complain about how broken it is

give us money! the game is awesome! money! yay $$$$

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

kaempfer0080 posted:

He's got the same problem Chris Roberts has. They haven't produced poo poo in well over a decade and development has moved on from the days where 5 guys could bang out a game in a year.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

TheAgent posted:

to that end we've created a new reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/SotA_Official/ ! that way you don't have to see the last six people who actually play this complain about how broken it is

That sub is four years old, which actually brings up some interesting questions about what theyve been doing all this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So this game turned out to be scam right? That's the consensus?