Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I remember back in CS beta 6 when custom models weren't restricted at all and people​ started installing models for the players that had points stuck out from the heads so you knew where everyone was since they couldn't hide. And guns with super long barrels so you knew if you were being aimed at.
Pretty sure that's what killed​ counter strike​ modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the games you listed have anti-mod tools in place to allow for competitive online play, it's not really comparable.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

There's a question there though, if Beth have a paid stealth armour, but there's a better stealth armour available free, isn't that the kind of competition they're not going to want to have?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope they're not lying about paid mod authors having to work closely with Bethesda, because I'm sure if they are Bethesda would have no hesitation saying 'nope, done with you' after the first time a modder has a whiney tantrum, as so many are wont to do.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Giving this a reinstall. Any mods I should be using? I already completed the main quest, so I'm mostly after:

1. A mod to make Preston Garvey only give me quests that actually have a proper reward

2. A mod to disable the main quest

3. Maybe something to make settlement-building less tedious. I don't really want to be designing them myself.

4. Any generally-agreed-good rebalance or bugfix mods

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

Counterpoint: Valve has done the same thing with TF2, CSGO, and DOTA, and they have effectively killed off the mod communities for those games. Sure, they still exist to some degree, but they're miniscule compared to the games from the last two generations, and there are no more big mods, not many maps, etc.

I can't speak for DOTA, but in the case of CSGO the reason you don't see a huge number of custom skins in game is because Valve determines what user skins are usable in game. There are hundreds or even thousands of skins on the workshop which they have decided not to add to the game, and those which are supported are all monitized. Same goes with player maps, although those can be run on custom servers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Erd posted:

If you rescue Nick before you get to diamond city, it starts open. Won't fix your Piper problem but will get you inside.

Does anyone use molotovs in horizon? They feel completely useless with no initial damage and slow damage over time. And burning enemies act like any other meaning you can't just wait for them to burn to death without them flanking you, so you end up shooting them anyway.

Chuck one, run away. The DOT lasts a long time and considering how easy they are to come by and use, I think that's fair.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Gort posted:

Giving this a reinstall. Any mods I should be using? I already completed the main quest, so I'm mostly after:

1. A mod to make Preston Garvey only give me quests that actually have a proper reward

2. A mod to disable the main quest

3. Maybe something to make settlement-building less tedious. I don't really want to be designing them myself.

For 3, your going to love Sim Settlements.....

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Mods for singleplayer games and mods for competitive games are two very different things. How would unofficial mods for DOTA even work, for ex?

they're a pretty big deal for a bit there. mostly it's model swap stuff you can download, and some are VERY good.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

I can't speak for DOTA, but in the case of CSGO the reason you don't see a huge number of custom skins in game is because Valve determines what user skins are usable in game. There are hundreds or even thousands of skins on the workshop which they have decided not to add to the game, and those which are supported are all monitized. Same goes with player maps, although those can be run on custom servers.

I know, and that's my point- in CS:S and 1.6, you saw tons and tons of maps, skins, custom view models, everything and more and anyone could install and use them. You can still use them in CSGO, but just with Bethesda's modding system, there's the officially supported platform that makes the company money, and then there are websites where you can go and install mods which don't make the company money directly. In a surprising twist, Valve has slowly deemphasized the way that doesn't make them more money, and mod authors feel the same way, given that CSGO has as many skins as older games since those have a shot at getting into crates and making the mod author money, while things like maps, new game modes like gun game etc, first person viewmodels, stuff like that are all virtually non-existent in CSGO because they're not going to make the creator any cash and because nobody goes to the non-official modding sites anymore.

I suspect the same thing is going to happen with Bethesda games. Most people are just going to use the official DLC store because it's easy and they don't want to learn how to install Mod Organizer or NMM; in turn, authors are going to start churning out whatever makes them the most money on said platform, which will probably be weapon and armor packs at the exclusion of everything else. Why bother with weapon overhauls or bugfix patches, those aren't going to rake in the microtransaction cash.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

SeanBeansShako posted:

For 3, your going to love Sim Settlements.....

Yes, I've held off playing for weeks now while I watched the rapid development of Sim Settlements. I'm going to restart (again) just to get a clean sheet for this. Even the first version was so interesting it got me to start building a settlement when I initially was unwilling to with the base game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

I know, and that's my point- in CS:S and 1.6, you saw tons and tons of maps, skins, custom view models, everything and more and anyone could install and use them. You can still use them in CSGO, but just with Bethesda's modding system, there's the officially supported platform that makes the company money, and then there are websites where you can go and install mods which don't make the company money directly. In a surprising twist, Valve has slowly deemphasized the way that doesn't make them more money, and mod authors feel the same way, given that CSGO has as many skins as older games since those have a shot at getting into crates and making the mod author money, while things like maps, new game modes like gun game etc, first person viewmodels, stuff like that are all virtually non-existent in CSGO because they're not going to make the creator any cash and because nobody goes to the non-official modding sites anymore.

I suspect the same thing is going to happen with Bethesda games. Most people are just going to use the official DLC store because it's easy and they don't want to learn how to install Mod Organizer or NMM; in turn, authors are going to start churning out whatever makes them the most money on said platform, which will probably be weapon and armor packs at the exclusion of everything else. Why bother with weapon overhauls or bugfix patches, those aren't going to rake in the microtransaction cash.

The only reason people don't use custom CSGO skins is because you can't use them in matchmaking. You cannot subscribe to weapon skins on the Steam workshop, so it shouldn't be a surprise that everyone is monetizing their skins through it because that's literally the only option. On the other hand, maps are free and there are 60,000 or so custom maps, including a large number that are of a professional quality. Only a handful of custom maps have been officially supported in the same way as weapon skins, but people still pump them out knowing that they're never getting paid.

In the example of Cities Skylines, Paradox paid a few modders early on to contract out DLC building packs. Unsurprisingly, these seem to have sold terribly because there's no way that the people working under contract could ever compete with the number of hobbyists releasing assets of similar or superior quality for free.

The way the Bethesda system works is also much more onerous than what other monetized content has been. Users aren't paid for just for the end product, they're paid for development. They will have deadlines to meet, QA and certification standards, localization requirements, and so on. That's a lot more demanding than just working on a mod in your free time, when you feel like it, and from everything I've read from pretty much every mod community is that hobbyists don't want a boss giving them deadlines.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If it murders NMM, I'm all for it

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
I think I may have figured out the issue I've been having with Armorsmith Extended. When installing the DLC patch and various compatibility plugins, do I Merge or do I Replace?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Okay, so regarding my nifskope problem from before, I think i'm making some sort of progress in understanding it. I didn't have 0 node selected when trying to apply the edit, doing that seemed to make the mesh move upwards in the display and zeroed the scale again as expected, which probably meant I did something. I also found something suggesting using the spells to update all tangent spaces and remove bogus nodes. These both probably did something as I received a notification that bogus nodes were removed, but any changes still were not visible in game. Perhaps the problem is I'm using Nifskope 2 version pre alpha 6, which might not have the required functionality, but all other available downloads were pre release versions too, except for 1.1.3 which wouldnt open the file. Still at a loss but maybe I'm learning something?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Basic Chunnel posted:

If it murders NMM, I'm all for it

Mod Organizer is your friend. Not your best friend, maybe, but unlike NMM it at least keeps track of the things you give it responsibility for rather than randomly getting drunk, forgetting where half of it is and puking on the other half.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Terrorforge posted:

Mod Organizer is your friend. Not your best friend, maybe, but unlike NMM it at least keeps track of the things you give it responsibility for rather than randomly getting drunk, forgetting where half of it is and puking on the other half.

You say that, but sometime last year my MO installs decided they no longer wanted to work with Skyrim properly, and then straight up ignore installed mods for FO4.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Terrorforge posted:

you know NMM ate it, right

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Boy, I've been out of the loop longer than I thought. Mine still seems to work I guess, but who knows how long that'll be the case with no support.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Terrorforge posted:

Boy, I've been out of the loop longer than I thought. Mine still seems to work I guess, but who knows how long that'll be the case with no support.

I mean, Bethesda isn't exactly patching Fallout 4 anymore, and as I understand it the next version of NMM is more or less Mod Organizer 3.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

I mean, Bethesda isn't exactly patching Fallout 4 anymore, and as I understand it the next version of NMM is more or less Mod Organizer 3.

They'll have to patch it if they're gonna add that Creation Club stuff, won't they? I mean it might not affect things at all - or it might alter something fundamental about how the game handles mods and break everything. Thus, "who knows".

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I'd say it's about 80% that Creation Club will be distributed like DLC are now (even if you can buy it with fake money), with the same limitations DLC have, so it will have no impact on mod configuration.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

I think I may have figured out the issue I've been having with Armorsmith Extended. When installing the DLC patch and various compatibility plugins, do I Merge or do I Replace?

You shouldn't have to do either, but replace, generally.

More to the point, this sounds to me like there's assets sticking around where they shouldn't be. Wipe the non-vanilla files from your data folder, reinstall.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Basic Chunnel posted:

Mod Organizer 2 is what I use and it had a beta release a year ago. Is that really not the recommended tool anymore?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Gort posted:

Mentioned, Sim Settlements mostly addressed point 3. It isn't good for every settlement, but anything with a lot of open space, like Starlight Drive-in are incredible. Just plop down your agriculture/residential/industrial/commercial stuff, get some power in and around there (there are tools to select what structure will be built on the lot, and a fair bit of mods that add extra lots, including power and water, so you don't even NEED to build the generators and such). For smaller settlements, consider making them little more than fully customizable player homes where you slap down your crafting stations and don't bother with recruitment beacons.

For point 4, Horizon is where it is at, ESPECIALLY if you're interested in Survival, although it works OK on Very Hard. The big deal here is that it normalizes a lot of things, so you don't run into damage sponges mind/late game, and the way it handles player health is rather ingenious. The side effect of this is that Legendaries stand out a bit more, and they don't fall into a strange situation where some non-Legendary enemies have WAY more health than that last Legendary you killed. Also goes a long way to making different encounters a lot more interesting by modifying strength/weaknesses. It's built for Survival, but Survival has some of it's own problems. Horizon goes a long way toward addressing these, but given bethesda's poo poo awful games, the saving mechanic in Horizon really doesn't quite go far enough, and you might as well pick up something like Sleep Or Save, so you can actually make save games at your discretion. Else, it's just really well balanced, where basic resources like restoratives or whatever are hard enough to come by that you'll be careful with them, but rarely, if ever, so rare that you will simply feel stuck. Getting started can be a rough learning experience, but it smooths out a ton as you both level, and just learn what to expect.

Just don't make an intimidation build. Not only is Intimidation terrible, but Horizon hasn't or won't bother balancing it yet, so it's even more loving awful.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

horse mans posted:

Mod Organizer 2 is what I use and it had a beta release a year ago. Is that really not the recommended tool anymore?

It is, but it's never coming out of beta because he's developing MO3 as the new NMM. It's still the best tool for now, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I just want to say that I am sorry for your troubles but the current nmm has not once hosed up for me. Everyone is always mad about it but it does what I ask.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I hope they're not lying about paid mod authors having to work closely with Bethesda, because I'm sure if they are Bethesda would have no hesitation saying 'nope, done with you' after the first time a modder has a whiney tantrum, as so many are wont to do.

I am sort of afraid that the world's popcorn stockpiles would collapse if Arthmoor signed up for this poo poo, because you loving KNOW he'd have a meltdown over Bethesda not understanding his "vision" (which is probably related to putting Oblivion Gates in downtown Boston).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Gonkish posted:

I am sort of afraid that the world's popcorn stockpiles would collapse if Arthmoor signed up for this poo poo, because you loving KNOW he'd have a meltdown over Bethesda not understanding his "vision" (which is probably related to putting Oblivion Gates in downtown Boston).

At least then we wouldn't be turning it into car chow while fighting a malnutrition epidemic. :munch:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

marshmallow creep posted:

I just want to say that I am sorry for your troubles but the current nmm has not once hosed up for me. Everyone is always mad about it but it does what I ask.

Yeah but it isn't so much about it loving up in acute ways it's always the garbage way it deals with files. Mod Organizer doesn't mess with your game directory, NMM does.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

Merge. Or install them as new mods instead of the same mod.

Replace removes all the previous files, so you're basically installing Armorsmith Extended then deleting Armorsmith Extended and only putting the patches in if you replace.

Merge just adds the new files and overwrites any with the same names.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 14, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Merge. Or install them as new mods instead of the same mod.

Replace removes all the previous files, so you're basically installing Armorsmith Extended then deleting Armorsmith Extended and only putting the patches in if you replace.

Merge just adds the new files and overwrites any with the same names.

Depends on how the patch is done though - sometimes updates and compatibility patches are released just by changing the .esp, in which case you want to replace the .esp so you're not needlessly bloating your load order. It should preserve the files that aren't included in the update, unless I'm misremembering.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Sure, it's working fine now. But in the past updates to NMM have introduced bugs that deleted your installed mods, unsubscribe you from mods, eat the game's install folder and my personal favorite: Caused NMM to start DDOSing the nexus website. A fun bug they somehow manage to do twice.
Also NMM's attempt at copying MO's virtual file directory resulted in a system that's just inferior to MO. It will still mess with your Data folder and it can't even dream of being as flexible as handling mod overwrites as MO is.

If it works for you that's great. But NMM has a deserved bad reputation. Now that they've hired the MO guy they have an actually competent programmer working for them, so the next version will hopefully be better.

blackcat12951
Oct 23, 2012

HELLCAT BESTCAT

Doctor Rope

The Iron Rose posted:

Depends on how the patch is done though - sometimes updates and compatibility patches are released just by changing the .esp, in which case you want to replace the .esp so you're not needlessly bloating your load order. It should preserve the files that aren't included in the update, unless I'm misremembering.

The merge option keeps the files and overwrites everything with the same name, replace removes everything inside the mods folder and then add the installing mods files to the folder. For patches you want to merge, and if there is multiple esps, you can disable the old one by double clicking the mod in the left side, switch to optional esps and move the old one to the top box labeled optional esps using the arrows.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

blackcat12951 posted:

The merge option keeps the files and overwrites everything with the same name, replace removes everything inside the mods folder and then add the installing mods files to the folder. For patches you want to merge, and if there is multiple esps, you can disable the old one by double clicking the mod in the left side, switch to optional esps and move the old one to the top box labeled optional esps using the arrows.

Well I completely mixed up the two then. Use merge then.

In my defense it's been easily a year since I've used nmm :v:

Also I dislike having multiple esps cluttering up my data folder :colbert:

blackcat12951
Oct 23, 2012

HELLCAT BESTCAT

Doctor Rope

The Iron Rose posted:

Well I completely mixed up the two then. Use merge then.

In my defense it's been easily a year since I've used nmm :v:

Also I dislike having multiple esps cluttering up my data folder :colbert:

The advice I gave was for mod organizer, so I hope that's what they are using, but their terminology suggests I'm probably right. Also you probably can delete the old esps from their folder anyway.

blackcat12951 fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 14, 2017

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis
new version of Horizon out, now you can craft legendary weapons using rare junk parts you find on legendary enemies instead of the vanilla crapshoot of finding 4 legendary pool cues in a row. Haven't played around with it myself yet, but the system sounds like the old science crafting system in Don't Starve, where you have to feed it weapons you would've scrapped or sold anyway for research points. Support for Raider Overhaul is out too because the author is doing his own thing with the different NPC factions and it's too much work to make everything play nice. I'll try it out later today if I have the time, but this new crafting thing looks like yet another system that should have been in the vanilla game in the first place.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Wild. That weapon crafting is :psyduck:

Going to have to check it out on another playthrough though. All that loot table stuff is going to be a nightmare on compatibility and I don't want to figure out how to uninstall Raider Overhaul.

On that, it's kinda disappointing it doesn't support raider overhaul out of the box, but considering the work put into Raiders on this update it would probably be redundant.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010

blackcat12951 posted:

The advice I gave was for mod organizer, so I hope that's what they are using, but their terminology suggests I'm probably right. Also you probably can delete the old esps from their folder anyway.

Yeah, using MO right now. I'll try some of the fixes you all recommend. Unfortunately, my Data folder seems to have only vanilla files, so that's out the window.

EDIT: No dice, even after reinstall, merging instead of replacing, using separate esp for compatibility updates, or using the Last Resort fix. I think it might just be time to bail and use a more barebones mod setup.

EDIT EDIT: Everything working much smoother now without Armorsmith, minus the Lone Wanderer Rebalance being broken and the OP pipe machinegun from Extended Weapon mods being everywhere. A real shame on that last one, the pipe machinegun's design is really cool.

SleuthDiplomacy fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Getting back into this game and installing Horizon Sim Settlements for the first time.

Went to check out some add-ons for Sim Settlements and... WELP. IT BEGINS: