Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Probate me for a month if McLaren score a point this season :toxx:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

You think it's waterproof?

The dyno doesn't test in wet conditions

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Norns posted:

The dyno doesn't test in wet conditions

They tested it with one raindrop

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm picturing a Honda engineer using a single squirt of a spray bottle. Huge thumbs up after!

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

OhsH posted:

I know australia doesnt matter on the world political map, but why the gently caress do all the moron aussies fellate trump?

Australia's entire world view could be summed up as "Notice me America-Senpai".

The right tried Geert Wilders on for size before finding him "too Dutch", so Drumpf is the logical next step.

Norns posted:

I'm picturing a Honda engineer using a single squirt of a spray bottle. Huge thumbs up after!

Half drop from a Burette.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

1500quid in a Honda engineering uniform: "Pwhoar it's a real scorcher out there guys, what do you say we bolt this puppy into a super formula car and see what it can do?"

*Japanese engineers look over from dyno with a very concerned look*

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wirth1000 posted:

Probate me for a month if McLaren score a point this season :toxx:

You want a donation out (as in if McLaren scores a point, you donate a specific amount to a charity) for that or just straight up give you the month off?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

What if they score more than one point? I see your wording.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Also as somebody who just spent loving three hours working on a Japanese car trying to disconnect a 17 pin connector wedged right up against a very aggressively angled windshield so you can't see the connector while being in the car because for whatever reason they decided to hardwire everything directly into the HVAC control board and give you 10 inches of wire to fish that loving connector through an ultra tight area and run the connector directly up to the air mix motor when really 30 years ago you just could've just loving used cables: Honda are hosed because they are Japanese and will make everything far more complicated than is needed.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

iospace posted:

You want a donation out (as in if McLaren scores a point, you donate a specific amount to a charity) for that or just straight up give you the month off?

Just give everyone a month off from me

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
you mean if they dont win a race right? you said get a point mistakenly

they'll be consistently podiuming soon

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Dubs posted:

you mean if they dont win a race right? you said get a point mistakenly

they'll be consistently podiuming soon

WHERE WE'RE GOING WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING ENGINE.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

1500quidporsche posted:

hardwire everything directly into the HVAC control board and give you 10 inches of wire to fish that loving connector through an ultra tight area and run the connector directly up to the air mix motor
This is what robot sex is gonna be like.

Ah, another nice picture from Japan:

This was (and I'm not making this up) in the 'junk' section.
It would be nice if it came with a little Alonso figurine in a beach chair.
I wonder if they'll even bother making one for the 2017 car.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Wirth1000 posted:

Just give everyone a month off from me

Who was the OP a couple of years ago who decided that no-one wanted to talk about F1 anymore when the season ended and just shut the thread down? Good times.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mrfart posted:

This is what robot sex is gonna be like.

Ah, another nice picture from Japan:

This was (and I'm not making this up) in the 'junk' section.
It would be nice if it came with a little Alonso figurine in a beach chair.
I wonder if they'll even bother making one for the 2017 car.

No way it was supposed to be in the junk section for ¥3700 mate, the models there are generally much cheaper and a bit more broken.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

1500quidporsche posted:

Also as somebody who just spent loving three hours working on a Japanese car trying to disconnect a 17 pin connector wedged right up against a very aggressively angled windshield so you can't see the connector while being in the car because for whatever reason they decided to hardwire everything directly into the HVAC control board and give you 10 inches of wire to fish that loving connector through an ultra tight area and run the connector directly up to the air mix motor when really 30 years ago you just could've just loving used cables: Honda are hosed because they are Japanese and will make everything far more complicated than is needed.
From experience I would argue that this is not a Japanese thing and is just a Honda thing

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Honda are hosed because they are Japanese and will make everything far more complicated than is needed.

My experience wrenching on Toyotas, Nissans and Mitsubishis does not match yours.

Landcruisers are very nice to work on except every component weighs a lot. I changed an engine in a small Mitsubishi and I'm pretty sure i only needed a 10mm spanner and an engine crane.

French cars on the other hand.. ugh yes it turns out that bolt you've spent an hour trying to loosen is actually reverse threaded.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Feels Villeneuve posted:

box scores in the DNPQ era are the best.

10 points to whoever knows who this is

Wild punt but I know Stefan Johansson scored a podium out of nowhere with Onyx so... that? 1989?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Whitey Ford posted:

French cars on the other hand..

I saw my dad cry once in my life.
Over the hood of a Citroen that wouldn't start for the hundredth time.
Later that car would try to kill me all by itself and kill my cat. But that's another story.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Dudley posted:

Wild punt but I know Stefan Johansson scored a podium out of nowhere with Onyx so... that? 1989?
Wasn't there a rap group called Onyx around that time? It's too bad rap groups don't still have F1 teams today. Kanye GP?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Wasn't there a rap group called Onyx around that time? It's too bad rap groups don't still have F1 teams today. Kanye GP?

Lewis Hamilton is a rap BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Who was the OP a couple of years ago who decided that no-one wanted to talk about F1 anymore when the season ended and just shut the thread down? Good times.

Was that me? lol, sounds like I did the right thing.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Gigi Galli posted:

They tested it with one Alonso teardrop

sticksy fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 14, 2017

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

From experience I would argue that this is not a Japanese thing and is just a Honda thing

Changing the headlights in my Civic recommends taking the front wheels off.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Minto Took posted:

Isn't the one of the more recent generations of Golfs where you to change the battery you had to take the front wheel off AND the front bumper?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Wirth1000 posted:

Isn't the one of the more recent generations of Golfs where you to change the battery you had to take the front wheel off AND the front bumper?

That's all German road cars.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

Yep! Had a good laugh helping a buddy change one.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

It pisses me off to no end that VW went from having the easiest cars in the world to work on to this overcomplicated horseshit where everything is finnicky and delicate and you need to drain coolant out of your brake lights.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wirth1000 posted:

The gently caress is wrong with people

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

The gently caress is wrong with people

Engineers are both simultaneously smart and dumb

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
VAG is especially bad about that stuff and their engine bays. Don't know why they hate car batteries and those who need to access them so much.

Also would be remiss if I didn't mention the infamous Audi V8 timing chain(s?):

:psypop:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Vijay "900 million in debt" Mallya is considering renaming Force India to something with more of a "global" taste as all the Indian sponsors and Indian drivers he was hoping would come through haven't so he's going for a more broad portfolio. He also brings up an interesting point of Liberty if they pursue and implement an "NFL-style franchise system" for the teams so the name would be extra important in this case he says.

Mr. Mallya would also like to stress that this in no way is related to his immense troubles with the Indian government where he's had his diplomatic passport revoked and an arrest warrant issued for him and he's been essentially hiding out in the UK this entire. No relation whatsoever, nope.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Minto Took posted:

It's a requirement on my BMW, which sucks because it then fucks up the hypersensitive active steering system and tyre pressure monitors.

I seem to recall a friend being supremely pissed at flooding the engine on his RX8 more regularly than any modern engine realistically should, making him late to a few client meetings. It only took a few of these instances for him to dump it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Vijay "900 million in debt" Mallya is considering renaming Force India to something with more of a "global" taste as all the Indian sponsors and Indian drivers he was hoping would come through haven't so he's going for a more broad portfolio. He also brings up an interesting point of Liberty if they pursue and implement an "NFL-style franchise system" for the teams so the name would be extra important in this case he says.

Mr. Mallya would also like to stress that this in no way is related to his immense troubles with the Indian government where he's had his diplomatic passport revoked and an arrest warrant issued for him and he's been essentially hiding out in the UK this entire. No relation whatsoever, nope.

It's a good idea for the same reason that USF1 was a bad idea: tying your team's identity to a specific country is a great way to limit fan and sponsor support.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

sticksy posted:

VAG is especially bad about that stuff and their engine bays. Don't know why they hate car batteries and those who need to access them so much.

Also would be remiss if I didn't mention the infamous Audi V8 timing chain(s?):

:psypop:

My dad spent about a year working on an A8 with one of those and that was the watershed moment when I realised VAG had no clue what originally made them great. The wiring harness in those are razor thin too so any flex basically any real flex trying to navigate that paper weight out of the engine bay means there's a real chance you hosed a connector.

Theophany posted:

I seem to recall a friend being supremely pissed at flooding the engine on his RX8 more regularly than any modern engine realistically should, making him late to a few client meetings. It only took a few of these instances for him to dump it.

Its usually a sign the engine is done. My RX7 used to do it and I even have a fuel cut switch wired under the dash but I haven't had it happen once since I got it rebuilt.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Its usually a sign the engine is done. My RX7 used to do it and I even have a fuel cut switch wired under the dash but I haven't had it happen once since I got it rebuilt.

Could well have been - I vaguely remember him scaring me off buying one by saying how innately prone they were to it. Whether he thought so because his was a shitheap may have been a factor in that belief though.

My brother just spent £1500 on a new timing chain and head gasket on his C180K only to now be told that the timing chain sprockets are pretty horrendously worn and replacements are Mercedes Benz only and cost a further £1500 for the three. All on a car worth, at best, £2000.

Meanwhile I hope whichever John turns up to buy my cosmetically immaculate 6 series doesn't notice that the valve stem seals are "totally loving hosed big time mate."

Old cars. Always a joy.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wirth1000 posted:

So like what are the chances he actually goes to jail in India?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

He still has access to money. So like none?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Friendly reminder, there is a competition for a forum upgrade for Le Mans: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823455

And qualifying starts tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

gret posted:

So like what are the chances he actually goes to jail in India?

He won't be stepping foot back there for a long, long time by the sounds of it.

I'm curious to see where the name change goes and if he'll try to link up with another manufacturer for branding again like the Aston Martin thing that fell apart.

"What are those pink cars?" "Rolls Royce F1"

• Locked thread