Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!
That... that's a thing alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

babypolis posted:

hes the absolute boy keeps popping randomly into my head and it go away and hell can you blame me. corbyn is the best boy and he should get all the dinner egges. which he will then distribute to the working class

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
If baloogan is representative of the Irish, they deserved Cromwell and they deserve the DUP.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

deadgoon posted:

If baloogan is representative of the Irish, they deserved Cromwell and they deserve the DUP.

He's Canadian.

Or so he says in the Trump thread. Maybe that's his thing is popping into various regional threads and claiming to be a close neighbor who's laughing at your country. Has anyone seen him in the Auspol thread claiming to be a New Zealander?

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

He's Canadian.

Or so he says in the Trump thread. Maybe that's his thing is popping into various regional threads and claiming to be a close neighbor who's laughing at your country. Has anyone seen him in the Auspol thread claiming to be a New Zealander?

he's of catholic scottish/irish heritage and that's the only reason he hates the DUP, if it was because they were crazy evil dumb conservative theocrats he would obiously hate the GOP as well

Baloogan posted:

cromwell SUCKS and like reasons to hate him have been passed down through the generatiosn in my family so fu

him getting voted as an great briton in my mind is like hitler getting voted as a great german

Baloogan posted:

wtf they dont eat the bread, they dont confess and they don't get baptized?!?!?!?!?

what in the world

Baloogan posted:

okay yeah, they ain't christians

wtf i thought they just didn't like the pope

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

the power of the stone

edit: lol

quote:

Miliband had pledged that if Labour won the election the stone was to have stood in the Downing Street Rose Garden "as a reminder of our duty to keep Labour's promises"

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Haha. The boy throws some powerful shade.

:same:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Haha. The boy throws some powerful shade.

:same:

https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/...r%3D459%23pti22

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

right but why?

UK constituencies are much smaller (population-wise) than congressional districts, since the House of Commons is bigger than the House of Representatives but represents collectively only about a fifth as many people. so constituencies are much less likely to correspond to communities with their own sense of identity. there are still limits in terms of regions; you probably wouldn't parachute an english MP into a scottish seat for example

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

part of the reason labour is such a mess is that during the Blair years rather than have local working class people be candidates and MP's its all come from southern political advisers leading to someone like tristram hunt being an MP for a very working class area. He also crossed a picket line while he was an MP to give a lecture on Marx

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fallen Hamprince posted:

UK constituencies are much smaller (population-wise) than congressional districts, since the House of Commons is bigger than the House of Representatives but represents collectively only about a fifth as many people. so constituencies are much less likely to correspond to communities with their own sense of identity. there are still limits in terms of regions; you probably wouldn't parachute an english MP into a scottish seat for example
Constituencies always have their own sense of identity. It's okay to be a yank and not understand that, but it is true.

There is always somewhere just down the road you're better than and some hoity toity fuckers five minutes away by car who think they're so much better than you. To not understand that is to not understand the UK.

The reason we have so many carpetbaggers is because the political class doesn't respect the public. This is especially pervasive in Labour in the north of England (and I say this as a Labour supporter in the north of England), where they will send any old Londoner trying to make a name for themselves up here like it's a term in an especially poo poo school during teacher training just to test their mettle.

And the end result of that is that ineffectual, disinterested people get put in charge of our region, and funding here is very low because of it.

London has Crossrail and all the wonderful train projects that are set to drain the rest of the country of talent 15 minutes quicker each way for only £100bil (money well spent!), NIreland has cash flung at it, Scotland does better per head than England, as does Wales (especially when EU regional funding comes in). Meanwhile public transport that doesn't point directly at London costs a fortune, and is mostly poo poo, anywhere north of Islington.

e: ^^ that guy puts it much more concisely and less bitterly than me

jBrereton has issued a correction as of 12:05 on Jun 14, 2017

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
An example of how poo poo northern rail services are is my trip from stoke to Bangor costed more than my hotel for the weekend.

A good example of how tribal northern (anywhere North of London that isn't one of the big3counts) England is is to have a look at where notts county, Nottingham forest and derby have their stadiums and remember that people view opposing fans as subhuman.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
British hyperlocal tribalism is something that is almost totally absent outside of the really old money suburbs of colonial America. As a Long Islander you can point at just about any dumb tiny meaningless place on a map and say who's better or worse than your town. It's a vestige of 18th century cultural bullshit I imagine.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

deadgoon posted:

he's of catholic scottish/irish heritage and that's the only reason he hates the DUP, if it was because they were crazy evil dumb conservative theocrats he would obiously hate the GOP as well

Lol I love that north Americans are way more into their "heritage" than basically anyone else as long as it's not American or Canadian heritage.

Loogs right about Cromwell but also doesn't seem to have known about Protestants?
I'm not religious but Protestants are way better than dudes who kowtow to the dude living in a golden microstate of pedophiles.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

British hyperlocal tribalism is something that is almost totally absent outside of the really old money suburbs of colonial America. As a Long Islander you can point at just about any dumb tiny meaningless place on a map and say who's better or worse than your town. It's a vestige of 18th century cultural bullshit I imagine.

For Notts vs Forrest look at this image

The people from each stadium bitterly hate each other to the point of fighting in the streets. They view themselves as totally different cultures.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Actually, they all suck

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

Lol I love that north Americans are way more into their "heritage" than basically anyone else as long as it's not American or Canadian heritage.

Loogs right about Cromwell but also doesn't seem to have known about Protestants?
I'm not religious but Protestants are way better than dudes who kowtow to the dude living in a golden microstate of pedophiles.
There were/are plenty of protestant pedophiles in Northern Ireland as the Kincora thing highlights.

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

I think it's mainly just a function of population density that it's so noticeable. I'm sure your average oklahoma small town in the middle of nowhere has gestalt opinions about the ones up and down the road plus the different native american bands in the area. Same odds.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

jBrereton posted:

Constituencies always have their own sense of identity. It's okay to be a yank and not understand that, but it is true.

There is always somewhere just down the road you're better than and some hoity toity fuckers five minutes away by car who think they're so much better than you. To not understand that is to not understand the UK.

This is true but these identities don't always align with constituency boundaries, especially in more densely populated areas.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Party Boat posted:

This is true but these identities don't always align with constituency boundaries, especially in more densely populated areas.
Obviously not but there are always definite little groups within constituency boundaries and always enough people to have a local as an MP rather than someone with an important cabinet/advisory post that you parachute into the safest seat possible so you don't end up looking like a bunch of dicks if there's a tight election.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Byolante posted:

For Notts vs Forrest look at this image

The people from each stadium bitterly hate each other to the point of fighting in the streets. They view themselves as totally different cultures.

What? No they don't. County hate Forest with a burning passion but there aren't fights because County are two leagues below Forest, so Forest fans just have a paternal view of county.

Now Forest and *Derby*, that's another story...

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

What? No they don't. County hate Forest with a burning passion but there aren't fights because County are two leagues below Forest, so Forest fans just have a paternal view of county.

A bad season for one and a good season for the other is all it takes in our mad promotion/relegation world

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

jBrereton posted:

I think it's mainly just a function of population density that it's so noticeable. I'm sure your average oklahoma small town in the middle of nowhere has gestalt opinions about the ones up and down the road plus the different native american bands in the area. Same odds.

Towns in Oklahoma are way too small to develop those kind of rivalries, and Indian nations are already functionally autonomous so the separation has always been there. Oklahomans hate people from other counties, but mostly people from Texas.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MikeCrotch posted:

Hi friend, Millwall and West Ham aren't in the same division either but the magic of the cup allows them to occasionally have a good ballyhoo. County and Forrest also have the JPT as a possible punch up aside from the league cup and fa cup.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Yeah, but I live in Nottingham, and comparing the Forest and County rivalry to something on the level of Celtic and Rangers is just flat out wrong. There was one fight recently which is the only one I can remember.

The worst I ever encountered was Cardiff and Bristol City, where Cardiff fans would wait in the train station for anyone in a red shirt and jump them. poo poo was nuts.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/statu...r%3D463%23pti29

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MikeCrotch posted:

Yeah, but I live in Nottingham, and comparing the Forest and County rivalry to something on the level of Celtic and Rangers is just flat out wrong. There was one fight recently which is the only one I can remember.

The worst I ever encountered was Cardiff and Bristol City, where Cardiff fans would wait in the train station for anyone in a red shirt and jump them. poo poo was nuts.

I'm a stoke fan and used to do all the away legs from 2001-2004. Cardiff trips were always a nightmare.

edit: but anyway I was more using notts/forest as an example because they are so close together. Makes a nice image for the yanks.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Where's the Ed Stone now?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

norwich and ipswich fans hate each other and incredible amount despite being 50 miles away from each other which is practically another country in american terms

i went to an ipswich game that wasn't a derby and felt like a kurd in isis

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

norwich is really nice its a shame its a massive pain in the arse to get to

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Ague Proof posted:

Where's the Ed Stone now?
It periodically shows back up on Twitter but I believe resides peacefully inside a bush now.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Jose posted:

norwich is really nice its a shame its a massive pain in the arse to get to

yeah well, dont go to ipswich

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'CONTROLS ON IMMIGRATION'

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...t-a7789951.html

12 dead for property values.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

12 suffocated and burned alive for property values.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It took me about a minute of frowning to figure out he means the Tories were being tough but honest. I thought he meant that it was the first time they'd been straight up "nothing for you, corporate tax cuts, if your dad gets dementia we're nicking his house".

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/875041452300042242

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Why? I know it wasn't as good as before 2015 but they did regain a few seats

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Corek posted:

Why? I know it wasn't as good as before 2015 but they did regain a few seats

Badly-hidden homophobia is the most likely explanation, along with Vince Cable winning a seat.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Itzena posted:

Badly-hidden homophobia is the most likely explanation, along with Vince Cable winning a seat.

I mean, he's demonstrably not homophobic from his voting record, but he is a bit lame and we could use a more inspiring figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

He's said he can't reconcile being the leader of the Liberal Democrat and his Christian values, so it's absolutely because he's a homophobe and is afraid he's pissed off Jesus with his mealy mouthed half answers on whether he thinks gay sex is a sin.

I just hope he is now able to discover the truth about whether or not chemicals are turning the frogs and the fish gay.