Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
This was done with the full cooperation of the electoral comission- a non-partisan government body that is supposed to ensure fair elections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah but it's not in Britain proper, so does it really count?

There is no "Britain proper" in a political sense, it's a geographic term. There's a UK, and NI is as much a constituent state of it as England, Scotland and Wales.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Bryter posted:

There is no "Britain proper" in a political sense, it's a geographic term. There's a UK, and NI is as much a constituent state of it as England, Scotland and Wales.

It's a geographical term for the island containing England, Wales and Scotland. Or in other words: every UK nation except the one that bans abortion

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bryter posted:

I mean it's got different parties, weaponised christianity and people who wear orange sashes and silly hats but other than that it's basically like here sure.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gum posted:

They attempted to rig the vote by disenfranchising large sections of the Labour electorate

ah, following our lead after all

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Gum posted:

They attempted to rig the vote by disenfranchising large sections of the Labour electorate

A lot of Democratic primaries were absolutely rigged to disenfranchise voters, it's just that they've always been set up that way.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
warning everyone i have a NUCLEAR take coming through!!!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/britains-lesson-for-conservatives-1497027901?mod=e2two

quote:

The outcome is also a rebuke to Mrs. May’s wing of the Conservative Party. This contingent argues the Tories need to shed the “right-wing ideology” of the Margaret Thatcher era. Mrs. May embraced ideas like a cap on household energy prices that were lifted from old Labour manifestos, railed against business, and delivered speeches about “the good that government can do.”

Despite his own ideological malleability, Mr. Cameron and his Chancellor George Osborne rebuilt a Tory majority by lifting the economy from its post-financial crisis mess. They cut tax rates to boost growth and moved toward a balanced budget. Mrs. May temporized about raising taxes. The strategy was to break into traditional Labour strongholds, but that failed as young people came out in big numbers for Mr. Corbyn’s promise of free tuition.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

got any sevens posted:

ah, following our lead after all

The DNC were scouring members social media in attempt to find and kick out anyone who supported Sanders?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

got any sevens posted:

wow, you brits are a lot more chill than americans. almost half the states have de facto outlawed abortion again

The state church was founded on some guy wanted a divorce

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

jBrereton posted:

I mean it's got different parties, weaponised christianity and people who wear orange sashes and silly hats but other than that it's basically like here sure.

Whether or not it's "like" the rest of the UK isn't the point. We're a constituent country of the UK just as US states comprise the US.

Oh, and Wales and Scotland have different parties to England as well, and the Orange order has plenty of Scottish lodges...

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bryter posted:

Whether or not it's "like" the rest of the UK isn't the point. We're a constituent country of the UK just as US states comprise the US.

Oh, and Wales and Scotland have different parties to England as well, and the Orange order has plenty of Scottish lodges...

The point is you should just let NI go already you imperiaist fucks :argh:

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Bryter posted:

Yeah but Plaid is good and the SNP is only half evil

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think most people here on the mainland never even think of NI. If there was a border poll, I bet they'd be completely chill about it.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm an Irish republican...

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Gum posted:

Plaid is good

Incidently if any Labour right had seen me post that during the leadership election it would have been used as grounds to ban me from the party

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bryter posted:

I'm an Irish republican...

Thank you for your service.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bryter posted:

Wales and Scotland have regional parties, right, but they still elect Labour, Tory, Lib Dem MPs too, and Plaid and the SNP have pretty secular goals. We just saw the last vestiges of moderate unionism and nationalism in Northern Ireland cleared off the map two days ago.

I mean sure NI is technically in the UK but it's not like the rest of it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lol the economy has been in the shitter due to austerity ever since the financial crash

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Baloogan posted:

corbyn is super duper bad btw, its just that may is hilariously incompetent

https://twitter.com/parliawint/status/779747279037198336

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
These aren't Ellison-level nothingburger smears, he really did all these things? :whitewater:

quote:

To begin with, Corbyn has a long history of unsavory associations with anti-Semites. Among other exploits, he has:

— Donated to the organization of Paul Eisen, a Holocaust denier, and appeared at his events. He later claimed he was unaware of Eisen’s unsavory views, despite 15 years of association.

— Defended vicar Stephen Sizer, who disseminated materials arguing the Mossad did 9/11, after he was banned from social media by the Church of England for posting anti-Semitic material.

— Praised preacher Raed Salah and invited him to parliament. Salah claims that Jews make their Passover matzoh with gentile blood, that Jews had foreknowledge of 9/11, and that homosexuality is “a great crime.” He has been banned from the U.K. for anti-Semitic incitement.

— Invited activist Dyab Abou Jahjah to parliament and spoke alongside him. Abou Jahjah had called the 9/11 attacks “sweet revenge,” said Europe made “the cult of the Holocaust and Jew-worshiping its alternative religion,” and called gays “Aids-spreading faggots.” He is now banned in the U.K.

— Campaigned for the release of Jawad Botmeh and Samar Alami, who were convicted in Britain in 1996 for bombing the Israeli Embassy in London and one of the country’s largest Jewish charities.

Taken together, this pattern of behavior suggests a blind spot for anti-Jewish prejudice at best, and incredibly poor judgment in allies and associates at the very least. After all, it is entirely possible to campaign against imperialism and other Western ills without legitimizing anti-Jewish bigots in the halls of parliament. (Suffice to say, if Donald Trump had engaged in such conduct, it would be national news and rightly so.)

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/telegraphnews/status/873563969637699584

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

jBrereton posted:

Wales and Scotland have regional parties, right, but they still elect Labour, Tory, Lib Dem MPs too, and Plaid and the SNP have pretty secular goals. We just saw the last vestiges of moderate unionism and nationalism in Northern Ireland cleared off the map two days ago.

I mean sure NI is technically in the UK but it's not like the rest of it.

As someone who has lived in all three countries, Scotland and NI are far more alike than Scotland and England.

But in any case, NI is in the UK (no technically about it) and that means 1/4 of its constituent countries has outlawed abortion. Not sure how that's disputable.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/873567635291504642

goodwin ate the book

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Goodwin ate (some of) the book

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

There was a milliband before Ed right? Does that make Hillary Ed? Is she able to look normal eating a bacon sandwich this is important

His father way, way before (although he was never leader) but I think you're talking about David Milliband. The pair are brothers, and they ran against each other in the leadership contest. David was the more experienced and favoured to win, but Ed beat him due to greater union support. David then quit front-line politics (in a strop?)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

yessssssss

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

hes the absolute boy keeps popping randomly into my head and it go away and hell can you blame me. corbyn is the best boy and he should get all the dinner egges. which he will then distribute to the working class

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

babypolis posted:

hes the absolute boy keeps popping randomly into my head and it go away and hell can you blame me. corbyn is the best boy and he should get all the dinner egges. which he will then distribute to the working class

He's a proper legend.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Heavy_D posted:

His father way, way before (although he was never leader) but I think you're talking about David Milliband. The pair are brothers, and they ran against each other in the leadership contest. David was the more experienced and favoured to win, but Ed beat him due to greater union support. David then quit front-line politics (in a strop?)

Ed has a really good characiture is largely the extend of my british political knowledge

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/tory-mps-are-really-worried-they-could-be-tarnished-by-the?utm_term=.ca6EKQKAv#.gjPlyGyXJ

quote:

I will knock on a door in a leafy village and they will say 'my nephew's gay – you've just joined with a party who hates gays. Then I will spend 20 minutes explaining it's confidence and supply. By which time I've lost.

There's a generation who do not understand how toxic it is. I'm not going to go down with this ship.

get hosed tories :getin:

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

my sponsored ads on this article are from Northrop Grumman, hawking F-15s

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

what politico reader doesnt have the pocket change for an f15 to show off to the neighbor?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

got any sevens posted:

what politico reader doesnt have the pocket change for an f15 to show off to the neighbor?

sure would make my stolen valor claims more believable

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Britains forever good boy

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Well the F15 is a good plane. Good to see the Northrup Grunam is proud of that fighter. Now if only America built those and not F35s.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

well done my absolute boys

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
mods fix thread name to "Goodwin ate the book" pls