Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Night10194 posted:

I really want to know what dude in the Soviet Union was like 'Our jets? We should equip them with as little ammunition as possible and also make the 23mms really low velocity.'

They were bomber interceptors initially, so I guess it makes sense kinda (much like the MK103s on the 262).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
453 games, 1073 tanks, and 22 airplanes later, I did something I didn't think was possible, just existed to give idiots hope. I aced a tank without paying GE. Jesus christ.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 13, 2017

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

jesus christ

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

BBJoey posted:

jesus christ

to be fair thats over a period of like 2 years at this point and the M36 is really fun at 5.7

:negative:

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
You need to get back on discord mazz

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I think that the Italian Bf109G is a very distinct side-grade compared to the comparable Fiats. I guess I wasn't really a 109 tru-believer, even when I played Germans so losing the performance of the Fiats and having to unlock bolt-on guns is just eh.

Maybe I do Messerschmitts wrong, but the Centauros are pretty much better in every way that counts

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

if you're using gun pods you're flying 109s insanely wrong and should have a long hard think about what you've done

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
So how are Italian planes overall? This is probably just confirmation bias from me being terrible at the game, but I feel like those drat G55Ss outperform everything they fight in every way.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BBJoey posted:

if you're using gun pods you're flying 109s insanely wrong and should have a long hard think about what you've done

why do all the cyberaces do it on the f4?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

BBJoey posted:

I haven't got gun pods for it yet, but :agreed:

GrossMurpel posted:

So how are Italian planes overall? This is probably just confirmation bias from me being terrible at the game, but I feel like those drat G55Ss outperform everything they fight in every way.

A Spitfire will still outturn the G.55, and a the P-47/51 still has better high-alt performance, but the G.55 is still extremely good and I don't think the allied teams are quite used to fighting them

The other italian planes are extremely solid, although I tend not to rate the C.202 EC cause the extra guns make you fat

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I can't wait till the reggiane turnfighters are released, the re 2001 with cannons seems like it'll be zeroesque

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
The only things gunpods on 109's are good for is killing bombers and spawn camping in arcade.

The good Italian planes fly to me like a cross between a 109 and a typhoon. Most Jap planes can out turn it, nearly all the spits can, etc.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'll say this much for the Ns-23s: If you can hit something with the drat things, at least they'll kill the poo poo out of it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Aren't they still affected by the nerf that was intended to smooth the Tu-4 spam?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I almost use the gun pods on the 109 since they turn 2 or 3 passes into just 1. I assume if you're a cyberace you don't need this because you have terminator aim anyway

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Mazz posted:

453 games, 1073 tanks, and 22 airplanes later, I did something I didn't think was possible, just existed to give idiots hope. I aced a tank without paying GE. Jesus christ.

I aced the T92 without speding GE either, and I regret nothing because that tank is awesome as gently caress.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Recoome posted:

A Spitfire will still outturn the G.55,

In most situations it'll outrun it too. The amount of whining about the G.55S is astonishing considering the Spitfire F IX stomps it so hard.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Psycho Society posted:

I almost use the gun pods on the 109 since they turn 2 or 3 passes into just 1. I assume if you're a cyberace you don't need this because you have terminator aim anyway

Way back when I used to use gunpods on the 109 because i was pretty used to the 190 and I would open fire from ages away. Since I developed my love of Italians, I open fire a lot closer now so the lack of gunpods doesnt really impact me anymore. I also usually prefer having better performance over fuckloads of guns.

Sard posted:

In most situations it'll outrun it too. The amount of whining about the G.55S is astonishing considering the Spitfire F IX stomps it so hard.

The first G.55 is actually also quite good and doesn't seem to cop so much heat. I also believe the Serie 1 is 4.3 and it has the same cannon set up but with extra MGs, so its all pretty equivalent.

I really wonder about the 205N2, all it does is seem to not compress at higher speeds and also have the same gun layout as the Serie 1 G.55.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it still compresses more than the g.55. it is faster tho, thanks to the smaller wings.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

YF-23 posted:

You can easily make gamebux with anything, provided it has sane repair costs. Generally those tend to jump way high on tier 4 and upwards. Doing T4+ tanks is a pretty solid way of losing money, generally speaking. But, I say this every time this gets brought up, you can make good money playing CARB as long as you spawn yourself a plane, because then you have the plane's higher rewards and a playerbase that is several times more willing to fly braindead and give you easy kills.

I'm far more likely to go on some insane air to air killstreak in CARB than I am in Air Realistic because plane dudes get really focused on bombing poo poo. I used to spawn in the Hellcat, go bomb and dump rockets then spend the rest of the match knocking aircraft out of the sky.

And this was like two years ago. I'm sure it's not much different today.

Recoome posted:

I think that the Italian Bf109G is a very distinct side-grade compared to the comparable Fiats. I guess I wasn't really a 109 tru-believer, even when I played Germans so losing the performance of the Fiats and having to unlock bolt-on guns is just eh.

Maybe I do Messerschmitts wrong, but the Centauros are pretty much better in every way that counts

Don't use gunpods. You have a centerline cannon which is basically the "Cheat" mode for this game.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 14, 2017

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Psycho Society posted:

If you're doing BnZ passes in a 109 the gun pods might be useful. But they are agile planes that can compete in a knifefight if you want them to, and if that's what you're trying to do with them the pods are a curse more than they are a boon.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

if you're bnzing in a 109 my question is why aren't you using a 190

please do not use an energy fighter like a support plane

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I am surprised anyone could hop into a 109 and be like "mmm yess THIS aircraft was meant to go fast in a dive"

I don't think the later ones are really that agile either. It's imho a second-tier choice when you can use the 205 which is basically what the 109 wishes it could be

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bf-109s are great though?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the thing about later 109s is that as they get less agile so do their enemies.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The 109 F4 and E4 are super fun.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

BBJoey posted:

if you're bnzing in a 109 my question is why aren't you using a 190

please do not use an energy fighter like a support plane

Don't energy fighters use bnz? Either way the only 190s I've used have terrible climb rate and bnz isn't much use if you're always below the person you want to attack

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I aced the T92 without speding GE either, and I regret nothing because that tank is awesome as gently caress.

I've never put much time in the T92, mainly cause I played so much M41A1. When they give the M46 that 300mm HEATFS next patch so think I'm going to move up from 5.7 to 6.7 finally and start spading more tanks I missed, like the T92 and T26E1.

Getting closer to 500 games on a handful of 5.7-6.3 tanks/planes, think that'll be the next end point for most, until they add another module like smoke shells :suicide:

If they ever put the 251 on a decent sale I need to grab that as well, perfect tank to finish out T4 Germany with.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 14, 2017

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Psycho Society posted:

Don't energy fighters use bnz? Either way the only 190s I've used have terrible climb rate and bnz isn't much use if you're always below the person you want to attack

Sorry but 190s are extremely cool and good and the ultimate support fighter

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Recoome posted:

Sorry but 190s are extremely cool and good and the ultimate support fighter

:thunk:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

The re.2001 cn is gonna have cannon gunpods as well...

ErrorlessErik
Jun 27, 2008

It's a new way to spell Trashcan apparently.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
the main strengths of the 190 are mostly beneficial to sim players. see also: p47 vs p51

basically take everything that was a problem with the 109 and you can see how they directly tried to fix that poo poo - better rear visibility, better rollrate (lol la5s), wider landing gear (less airfield crashes) and more ammo

all that poo poo is kinda negated w/mouse aim and 3rd person view but you can still vertically dive on ppl better than anything except they'll actually see you coming

early on they get artificial horizons sooner and can outrun poo poo on the deck which is surprising. german planes were generally at introduction cutting edge from the stuka to the me262. the thing that makes 109s so rad is how well they adapted the platform from its introduction up to the k4

well that and nose spirals

Night10194 posted:

The 109 F4 and E4 are super fun.

reroll F2 variant if you like to run without gunpods ftw

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Nose spirals are insanely cool

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i wish italian planes had them

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Doesn't the 190's climbrate improve dramatically after 3km or so? Also, I always have to think of this wikipedia quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Fw_190 posted:

In the opinion of German pilots who flew both the Bf 109 and the Fw 190, the latter provided increased firepower and, at low to medium altitude, manoeuvrability.
Still not sure how that can possibly be true.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

GrossMurpel posted:

Doesn't the 190's climbrate improve dramatically after 3km or so? Also, I always have to think of this wikipedia quote

Still not sure how that can possibly be true.

Roll rate's better, engine's strong, elevator authority's good. The Fw190 is a reasonably agile plane, actually. It doesn't really seem it up against Brits or Soviets, or compared to the 109 in areas other than roll rate but you can clown a lot of American planes with it. Also not to get all Wehraboo about it but this Russian-made game might not be entirely accurate or fair involving direct German-Russian comparisons *cough*.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

maneuverability doesn't mean much if you can't actually see what you're doing because the canopy is poo poo as in the 109

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
When in danger or in doubt, fly in circles then j-out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

chairface posted:

Roll rate's better, engine's strong, elevator authority's good. The Fw190 is a reasonably agile plane, actually. It doesn't really seem it up against Brits or Soviets, or compared to the 109 in areas other than roll rate but you can clown a lot of American planes with it. Also not to get all Wehraboo about it but this Russian-made game might not be entirely accurate or fair involving direct German-Russian comparisons *cough*.

russian bias doesn't exist anything that looks like it is pure incompetence and greed.