Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Cloud lightning conduits are just baby arc emitters - 100% accuracy and 100% tracking but widely variable damage. It's good vs naked corvettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

It's kind of funny that future space war is apparently going to be like a sort of 'dawn of firearms' scenario where a couple of lines of guys with guns sit at the back pew pewing away at each other whilea load of people run around in the middle trying to stab each other and get caught in the crossfire.

Imagine the fleet meetings: 'admiral, maybe we shouldn't charge headlong into the enemy guns but should hang back and let our battleships do their work?' 'that sounds like pacifist talk officer, get in the brig'.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I installed a mod that lets you set the number of stars in a galaxy much higher than the default maximum.

I have learned that 5000 is too many stars.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm. I'd play a 4000 star galaxy with 0.25 habitable worlds setting. Can you link the mod?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Epic Galaxies: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=901614896

There's some other mods linked there that support it, adding more star names and some nice graphics and such.

Is there a technology I'll eventually find, or a mod or something, that lets me automate building mining and research stations? I badly want auto-improve options like Civ has.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
chuck that poo poo into sectors, they'll build stuff out eventually.

Also, thanks for the link

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

It's kind of funny that future space war is apparently going to be like a sort of 'dawn of firearms' scenario where a couple of lines of guys with guns sit at the back pew pewing away at each other whilea load of people run around in the middle trying to stab each other and get caught in the crossfire.

Imagine the fleet meetings: 'admiral, maybe we shouldn't charge headlong into the enemy guns but should hang back and let our battleships do their work?' 'that sounds like pacifist talk officer, get in the brig'.

That's essentially what old naval doctrine was in the age of battleships prior to WWII. Just big fat ships lining up and plinking at each other while the small boys desperately tried to close range and shoot their guns/launch torpedoes while picketing for the battleships with the expectation that the smallest ships should be getting blasted before the bigger ones.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Then airplanes happened and 6000 years of warfare knowledge went down the drain :v:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Truga posted:

Then airplanes happened and 6000 years of warfare knowledge went down the drain :v:

If carriers were at all functional in this then they would be pretty rad, but bombers are basically just another gun that doesn't function the moment any point defense or flak is present. As it stands now they don't even have first strike capability despite their longer ranges compared to the big guns you can put on battleships. They start crawling out of your ship, the enemy battleship closes range, and then shoots you in the face before your bombers even arrive.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 13, 2017

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Truga posted:

On that note: I <3 strike craft, but am curious how effective they actually are. That "ignore shields and half their armor" thing sounds pretty good.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Unfortunately strike craft get dunked on pretty badly by point defences and completely annihilated by a flak screen..

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

They're kind of like missiles and torpedoes in that if they totally neglect any form of defense against those weapons you will dunk them hard, but immediately fall apart once there is any form of defense present.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Is there a mod that gives me the "auto-survey" research as a given in the beginning? Or just makes it show up sooner guaranteed?
I just did a quick test using the console, and it took dozens of other cards including some lategame ones to show up.

Nuramor fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 13, 2017

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Nuramor posted:

Is there a mod that gives me the "auto-survey" research as a given in the beginning? Or just makes it show up sooner guaranteed?
I just did a quick test using the console, and it took dozens of other cards including some lategame ones to show up.

Yes. It's called 'Auto-survey at start', so if you just search for that on the workshop it should be the first result.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Strike craft do need some kind of re-work. They should probably be slightly more resistant to PD, but I think the main thing is they need to be much, much faster. My cruisers should not be beating my fighters to a target.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Or they need to be pre-deployed as a picket screen.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Make fighters and bombers designable in the ship builder and make em take fire like corvettes, rather than something that takes fire like missiles. Fighters then act as a counter to naked corvettes

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 13, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The problem is that PDS wants to differentiate classes by role. If carrier battleships can tank and also carry damage, then you never have any reason to build anything but battleships once you can build battleships.

As boring as corvette spam is, it is a good thing that corvettes are still useful when mixed with other ships rather than tech turning into an unstoppable snowball. "Naked" corvettes are a side effect of the decision to not make a game where Civ2-style spearmen versus tanks is ever a possibility.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

It would be cool if you could detach the fighters and bombers for short range missions (like 1-2 jumps from the carrier). Also to position them as screens or to just scout or whatever. There is sooo much potential..

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Need elite groups of fighter pilots so shirtless alien volleyball games break out across the galaxy.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I think the whole spatial element of combat, while cool, is a sore spot for me.

It's like they took the naval combat system in HOI4 which isn't stellar to begin with and added a third dimension. I really don't like that, without trial and error, there's no way to understand what went wrong.

For example: Okay they eliminated my shields. Do I need more shields? Should I instead armor-tank? What size weapons are they using? What size weapons of mine are actually hitting? Are my torpedoes hitting? Is this class of ship effective? If not, how am I supposed to dramatically change it when it's locked into a role? Should I be losing all of my small ships in a big engagement?

I like the concept in principle but either give me Total War: Spaceships or abstract more of it so I'm not spending 10 minutes out of every hour of a save fastidiously rebalancing every single ship's loadout only to find out the next battle is always an inelegant game of Rock Paper Scissors. There really should be Doctrines or something you can set like that if we have the "design every component of every class" route.

Maybe it's just me. I'm a Paradox vet of their grand strategy games and in every other title I've been able to identify why I lost a battle I thought I shouldn't have- Fighting Mongol hordes in 1450 gives me a shorter and more informative feedback loop. If I build an 80% cavalry army in EUIV the game shows me fairly plainly that I'm at a disadvantage.

And yes, I know the battle screen shows me what damage I'm doing or taking, but that's basically giving me the middle 20 pieces of a 500 piece puzzle. I get super bored with the game when I have to throw poo poo and see what sticks.

Tldr: I don't like the combat in this game much despite its awesome promise.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I just build more fleet strength than my opponent and it usually works out well enough. If I can't do that, I just put everything into a crash building program and try to avoid complete collapse while I wait for the AI to break down or get stuck.

Like most Paradox army customization features, the ship designer is useless because there aren't really any interesting choices or variations, so it's basically pointless unless you're planning to specifically counterpick a particular enemy or min-max the poo poo out of the combat system. It's like how in HoI4 you can build any division you want...as long as it's 7inf/2art or 5tanks/5mech.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the combat really does remind me of HoI4, in that its totally pointless to spend any time designing divisions when you can just make more lovely ones

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Trast posted:

Need elite groups of fighter pilots so shirtless alien volleyball games break out across the galaxy.

Leak from the Bradbury patch notes

code:
* Added "Homoerotic Volleyball" civic. It boosts fighter fire rate by 15% and evasion by 20%

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Tldr: I don't like the combat in this game much despite its awesome promise.

I agree with this, and had the same problem with EU4. I'm multiple hundred hours into that and still don't know the right proportions of infantry/cavalry/artillery to use at what tech level, and don't see what micromanaging that adds to the game. Same for fiddling with ships in Stellaris.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think almost everyone agrees ship customisation has too many moving parts, but there's substantial disagreement over what bits are good and what bits are noise.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I took this ring-world, nearly declared war on a tributary for trying to settle it, and realized too late I couldn't even settle it myself because I'm the generic human empire.

Much later, and at the exact same time, I get 2 random events. One is human smugglers meddling with a colony who I need to crack down on, the other is an impending asteroid. I have a big assault force sleeping in the system and some ships so I could easily solve both issues, but I'm thinking the best course of action is to do nothing. Will they die? I hope they die. I want to settle the ringworld not watch some horse-apes and geckos much around on 25-pop gaia worlds.

God bless you asteroid. :toot:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

I agree with this, and had the same problem with EU4. I'm multiple hundred hours into that and still don't know the right proportions of infantry/cavalry/artillery to use at what tech level, and don't see what micromanaging that adds to the game. Same for fiddling with ships in Stellaris.

Not to get off topic, but:
As a western nation with no cav bonuses, use 10/4 inf/cav, then when you get cannons go up to 10/4/6 for nice even armies that fit into a nice 20 stack of transports.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Asteroids only kill a few pops. I know that because I had the event and my fleet was too slow to make it in time.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sanctum posted:

I'm pretty sure it turns the planet into a barren planet, so I'm not sure if you actually want it to hit.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I have a game with warp modes restricted to only one of the three types, does that also disable jump drives from appearing later?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If I have a game with warp modes restricted to only one of the three types, does that also disable jump drives from appearing later?

No.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sanctum posted:

I took this ring-world, nearly declared war on a tributary for trying to settle it, and realized too late I couldn't even settle it myself because I'm the generic human empire.

Much later, and at the exact same time, I get 2 random events. One is human smugglers meddling with a colony who I need to crack down on, the other is an impending asteroid. I have a big assault force sleeping in the system and some ships so I could easily solve both issues, but I'm thinking the best course of action is to do nothing. Will they die? I hope they die. I want to settle the ringworld not watch some horse-apes and geckos much around on 25-pop gaia worlds.

A few patches ago I tried to solve a xenophobic primitives problem the same way. At the last minute my so called allies zoomed in and blew up the asteroid, presumably giving a thumbs up to the fuming scientists on the way past.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
In general I really think it's cure how your allies will just show up to throw ships at any monster problem in your borders.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

it also doesn't disable FE jump drives

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Asteroids only kill a few pops. I know that because I had the event and my fleet was too slow to make it in time.

A pop is something like 500 million people abstracted away. "A few pops" are billions of dead.

Also that event always takes nearly a year, how the hell was your fleet not able to make it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Libluini posted:

A pop is something like 500 million people abstracted away. "A few pops" are billions of dead.

Also that event always takes nearly a year, how the hell was your fleet not able to make it?

Giant doom stack+ large galaxy+knowing AIs won't betray you. (Players of course would betray you in an instant in that situation)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Libluini posted:

Slow rear end ships and a long detour to reach the outermost spiral arm. If I had had rating three engines it would have been no problem.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sanctum posted:

It takes, like, a decade or so to brainwash and then uplift a pre-FTL species if they're not literally cavemen. It's more of a pain in the rear end than just going all Manifest Destiny on them, but it's really not a big deal and has some nice bennies to balance it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Slow rear end ships and a long detour to reach the outermost spiral arm. If I had had rating three engines it would have been no problem.

Ah yes, I guess I was always lucky enough to either get the event when I'm still small enough to get everywhere in my empire, or when I already had multiple fleets hanging around. Or both. :v:

• Locked thread