Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

hanales posted:

What was scalises actual stance on healthcare.

Well he is Majority Whip so he broke people's arms to get them to vote for it. He's arguably one of the top 5 most responsible for this.

So again, gently caress him, he deserved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I truly feel that this is the day Steve Scalise became President.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Data Graham posted:

Dude it's not about the one guy, and even if it was we shouldn't be cheering shooting people in the streets.

It's about what will touch off the powder keg, and in which direction.

I don't really care about any of that. I'm just saying I have zero sympathy for this fucker. I'm not cheering it, I just don't feel any pain or sadness over this.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Data Graham posted:

Dude it's not about the one guy, and even if it was we shouldn't be cheering shooting people in the streets.

It's about what will touch off the powder keg, and in which direction.

Exactly

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Shooter is going to be some right wing nut who's being personally, savagely hosed over by the healthcare bill.

Calling it now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Which one of you was this?

https://twitter.com/AnnieLinskey/status/874963348844150784

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Trump?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

CyberPingu posted:

Are you deeply troubled?

When there are right wingers already escalating violent rhetoric and carrying assault rifles, yes, yes I am. Or it could be that I've watched too much Handmaid's Tale

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

It's me. I'm Mo Brooks.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Wait, are you telling me that the perpetrator of a mass shooting was a disaffected white male?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Will this maybe help Republicans get it through their thick loving skulls that the disconnect between them and the electorate is a thousand miles wide?

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff naw, gut healthcare and the environment

paternity suitor posted:

When there are right wingers already escalating violent rhetoric and carrying assault rifles, yes, yes I am. Or it could be that I've watched too much Handmaid's Tale

Is this just like the time Snape helped Voldemort to win the Hunger Games?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I'm still posting with y'all so it wasn't me.

Also I am very thankful the dude was white and not a minority or poo poo would be flying off the handle right now. This is how loving broken and hosed up this country is.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chilichimp posted:

Shooter is going to be some right wing nut who's being personally, savagely hosed over by the healthcare bill.

Calling it now.

As much as I have no sympathy for the victim here, it's really dumb to "call" the ideology of the shooter. This forum does it every time and is usually wrong.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

The only thing stopping a bad guy with a gun is a congressman with a gun.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

axeil posted:

Also I am very thankful the dude was white and not a minority or poo poo would be flying off the handle right now. This is how loving broken and hosed up this country is.

Don't hold your breath until we have a motive or social media details. We've avoided the fast track to open genocide but thoughtcrime laws are still on the table

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The one time "lol nothing matters" is always true (gun violence by white guy) the sadbrains think it's gonna change everything.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Al Borland Corp. posted:

As much as I have no sympathy for the victim here, it's really dumb to "call" the ideology of the shooter. This forum does it every time and is usually wrong.

So we're due for being correct?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit, if it was a brown person he couldn't have made it to shooting range of a congressional softball practice.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

Calling it now.

Sounds plausible. But really could be anyone at this point given how much congress is hated.

Whoever it is though knew they'd be there, and so has been planning this for a while.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Maybe if they'd had guns this wouldn't have happened? Wonder if they ever considered that.

(Seriously, hope nobody died. I live not too far away...)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They were pretty loving on target with Dylan Roof and that fucker who shot George Tiller, though.

sean10mm posted:

The last time a member of Congress was shot it didn't change anything so why the breathless panic now?

Other than murder being bad in general that is.
We're all resigned to every shooting involving a Democrat being perpetuated by a lone wolf with no discernible motivations besides insanity but assume that there'd be a huge backlash against shootings involving other victims and/or perpetrators.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

shirts and skins posted:

Maybe if they'd had guns this wouldn't have happened? Wonder if they ever considered that.

(Seriously, hope nobody died. I live not too far away...)

This is going to be brought up in earnest.

edit: I am a dumb

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 14, 2017

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Drone posted:

Will this maybe help Republicans get it through their thick loving skulls that the disconnect between them and the electorate is a thousand miles wide?

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff naw, gut healthcare and the environment

They'll conclude the shooter was angry they weren't doing enough evil.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

How soon till we get "Gunmans facebook shows support for "insert liberal thing"?

I'm guessing this will be the case. Only political junkies know what the Whips are, and political junkies tend towards being liberal.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Chilichimp posted:

DC has some of the strictest gun control in the country, so you know this is going to be brought up in earnest.

But this was in Virginia, which is nowhere near as strict. Hell, a gun shop opened last year just down the street from me.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

When is the last time a high-profile shooting of an American politician was committed by someone who wasn't a far-right racist? I'm trying to remember but I can't tell if it's just because shootings are so common that I'm missing some, or if it's legitimately not in my living memory.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Triskelli posted:

I'm guessing this will be the case. Only political junkies know what the Whips are, and political junkies tend towards being liberal.

"Liberal thing" being Louisiana Medicaid expansion.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ReidRansom posted:

Sounds plausible. But really could be anyone at this point given how much congress is hated.

Whoever it is though knew they'd be there, and so has been planning this for a while.

There's reports that Jeff Duncan may have talked to the shooter before Duncan left the practice, so is possible that the guy went there to bitch about something or whatever, got *real* mad, and just pulled his rifle out of his car and started blasting. Rather than it being some giant pre-planned thing.

Dude probably knew what he was going to do though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Chilichimp posted:

DC has some of the strictest gun control in the country, so you know this is going to be brought up in earnest.

Well it happened in Virginia, soo...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

shirts and skins posted:

But this was in Virginia, which is nowhere near as strict. Hell, a gun shop opened last year just down the street from me.

Drone posted:

Well it happened in Virginia, soo...

My bad, homies.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

sean10mm posted:

The one time "lol nothing matters" is always true (gun violence by white guy) the sadbrains think it's gonna change everything.

Seriously. It's laughable to think this is actually going to set off any kind of "crackdown".

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Don't worry, I'm sure he liked Obama on Facebook 10 years ago.

Chilichimp posted:

Alexandria, Virginia is in the state of Virginia I believe, but that wouldn't stop them

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Triskelli posted:

Nah, there are junkies on both sides.

And there's no indication right now that he specifically was being targeted anyway. Could be the whole group was the target or some other individual and Scalise was just the unlucky one to get hit.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
The spin is already starting

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/874966790291550208

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
That piece of poo poo better be identified as a Trump voter with diabetes and no job who loves the outdoors.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mulva posted:

There's reports that Jeff Duncan may have talked to the shooter before Duncan left the practice, so is possible that the guy went there to bitch about something or whatever, got *real* mad, and just pulled his rifle out of his car and started blasting. Rather than it being some giant pre-planned thing.

Dude probably knew what he was going to do though.

I mean, if he had a rifle already in his car, that's not a normal thing. So yeah, dude left his house this morning with a plan.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't really care about any of that. I'm just saying I have zero sympathy for this fucker. I'm not cheering it, I just don't feel any pain or sadness over this.

I’m cheering it, I want every Republican dead and I don’t care how we get there.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

we had the primaries for the governorship literally yesterday. the gop race was super close. guy that won was some rando establishment republican. guy that lost was a reddit superstar who called people cucks. im not placing bets or anything because i have no idea, but the fact that it happened less than 24 hours after makes me think it's connected, and 'random alt. right guy gets mad that the establishment republicans hosed over his guy' seems plausible.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is gonna suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
drat, 50 shots fired.

• Locked thread