Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
At least no one is dead as of now, shooter included. It could have been far worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Republican whining over the coming days is going to be insufferable

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

50 shots fired, no fatalities. The"is a Reddit poster" theory certainly has evidence mounting.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

try the new taco place posted:

At least no one is dead as of now, shooter included. It could have been far worse

Shooter is alive?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I wouldn't call that spin, just because the person Tweeting is a solid turd. Sounds like that's actually what the guy asked.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Gustav posted:

That depends on what political affiliation the shooter has.

If this is a pissed off alt right guy, things are going to get awkward, fast.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gustav posted:

Depends how the media builds up the shooters motives.

Also it's not uncommon to have a rifle in your pickup if you're in hick country.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Boon posted:

That piece of poo poo better be identified as a Trump voter with diabetes and no job who loves the outdoors.
"Radical environmentalist shoots Rep. Scalise"

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this doesn't even make sense, it was a republican practice game for the republican vs democrats baseball game later in the week. if the guy knows enough to know the republicans are going to be at the baseball field, he'd know enough to know that it's only going to be republicans.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

Depends how the media builds up the shooters motives.

Also it's not uncommon to have a rifle in your pickup if you're in hick country.

Alexandria, VA is miles from hick country. It's like 10 minutes from the DC border.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

FourLeaf posted:

That depends on what political affiliation the shooter has.

If this is a pissed off alt right guy, things are going to get awkward, fast.

Oh please, as if everything written about the guy wouldn't suddenly morph into "mentally ill" and "troubled".

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It was unfortunate he shot me but it was his right to bare arms, he says from a hospital bed.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

keep in mind this is a not so subtle attempt to liken the shooter to the methods of isis and other ideologically driven groups

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The"is a Reddit poster" theory certainly has evidence mounting.

Can this be bulletpointed?

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

ReidRansom posted:

I wouldn't call that spin, just because the person Tweeting is a solid turd. Sounds like that's actually what the guy asked.

True. I should have used this tweet instead.

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/874966631491002369

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Tim Whatley posted:

It was unfortunate he shot me but it was his right to bare arms, he says from a hospital bed.

One of the reps present is already whining that the capitol police were "outgunned".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Drone posted:

Can this be bulletpointed?
1. terrible shot

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Glad there will be no fatalities, but I love the irony of Republicans getting shot with something they've made so drat easy to get.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Your Taint posted:

Glad there will be no fatalities, but I live the irony if Republicans getting shot with something they've made so drat easy to get.

You and I both know they'll just make it harder for only minorities and dissidents to arm themselves, and refuse to solve the actual problem. :smith:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Well they didn't catch the guy so maybe we're headed for a redux of the Beltway Sniper. That'll be fun.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

axeil posted:

Well they didn't catch the guy so maybe we're headed for a redux of the Beltway Sniper. That'll be fun.

Everything I'm seeing says the shooter is in custody.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ReidRansom posted:

Sounds plausible. But really could be anyone at this point given how much congress is hated.

Whoever it is though knew they'd be there, and so has been planning this for a while.

That might not be true. The dude apparently asked someone who left early whether that was the Republicans down there. So if they were planning it, they didn't plan it very well. It's much more telling if this is an attack of opportunity rather than a planned one.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

shirts and skins posted:

Oh please, as if everything written about the guy wouldn't suddenly morph into "mentally ill" and "troubled".

Well sure that's what the Republicans would start saying, but liberal people wouldn't agree. An awkward situation for sure. And at this point I have no idea what the alt-right community would do. Things have degenerated so much they might even be happy.

But this is all speculation, we have no idea what's happening.

axeil posted:

Where are you seeing that? I'm seeing conflicting reports that he's been captured and is in custody or that he died on the scene.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Pollyanna posted:

You and I both know they'll just make it harder for only minorities and dissidents to arm themselves, and refuse to solve the actual problem. :smith:

Oh I know. Im not dumb enough to think that any positive change at all will some out if this.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ReidRansom posted:

I mean, if he had a rifle already in his car, that's not a normal thing. So yeah, dude left his house this morning with a plan.

You've never been in the country. Rifles in vehicles is common, for a number of non-terrorism reasons.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

AhhYes posted:

Everything I'm seeing says the shooter is in custody.

Everything I'm seeing says the shooter's body is in custody.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
BREAKING NEWS: I'm getting reports that Steve Scalise is no angel, more as it comes in

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Shooter is alive?

Shooter is white.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So far we have:

Shooter is in custody:BBC
Shooter is dead:SA
Shooter is on the run:SA

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shooter is obama: infowars

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

BREAKING NEWS: I'm getting reports that Steve Scalise is no angel, more as it comes in

Status wont change if hes alive or dead

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
Shooter is in custody and is a middle aged white male

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

CyberPingu posted:

So far we have:

BBC now explicitly saying that the shooter is not dead, despite reports that he is.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

So far we have:

Shooter is both dead and on the run.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Endorph posted:

this doesn't even make sense, it was a republican practice game for the republican vs democrats baseball game later in the week. if the guy knows enough to know the republicans are going to be at the baseball field, he'd know enough to know that it's only going to be republicans.

It makes sense if we assume that what we've got is an attack of opportunity. Dude wanted to kill Republicans specifically, didn't have any concrete plans, and saw an opportunity to do so is a possibility.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Shooter is both dead and on the run.

We've spotted the shooter in a dead run

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Permabans for anyone bringing up Reichstag, unironic "so much for the tolerant left", and "gently caress this, not for what happened but for the inevitable response".

Let's make D&D readable again.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ReidRansom posted:

I mean, if he had a rifle already in his car, that's not a normal thing. So yeah, dude left his house this morning with a plan.

Depends on where you are from I suppose. It's *likely* he went there to shoot people up. It's not impossible it was spur of the moment, if he was talking to people beforehand and didn't just setup and start blasting. Because if he was talking to people he certainly had the rifle away, and it's like....why would a mass shooter bother wasting time if he already knows what he came to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Relevant Tangent posted:

It makes sense if we assume

Maybe let's not and just let law enforcement do their jobs and inform us once the facts are more clear? :confused:

I understand the urge to go WE NEED TO KNOW EVERYTHING NOW but speculation doesn't help anything.

• Locked thread