Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Willfrey posted:

Perhaps he will reach Golden Streamer status

He will practice his gunshoots in only the most pristine of custom servers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
If you become a premium ultra platinum subscriber he'll fly you out to jack him off for the 'Tugs from Scrubs' promotion

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This game is confusing as gently caress. Why do some people start out with high-end weapons? How do I get to keep weapons across games? I guess it's kinda perma-death and you lose everything every time?

Also, why is there no text chat?! I hate it when devs force voice chat.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Combat Pretzel posted:

This game is confusing as gently caress. Why do some people start out with high-end weapons? How do I get to keep weapons across games? I guess it's kinda perma-death and you lose everything every time?

Also, why is there no text chat?! I hate it when devs force voice chat.

Everyone starts with nothing every time. It's like an FPS deathmatch-- every game is a completely separate entity. There is no persistence whatsoever. People find items on the ground.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, except everytime I run into someone, they have M16 or sniper rifles. Wiki says poo poo randomizes, but they're awfully adept at finding things. I guess it's not so random.

I'm happy if I even see something laying around.

--edit: Weird, sometimes weapon highlight, more often not.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 14, 2017

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, except everytime I run into someone, they have M16 or sniper rifles. Wiki says poo poo randomizes, but they're awfully adept at finding things. I guess it's not so random.

They all dropped into high-loot areas like School, Containers, or Military Base, or mid-tier larger towns. If you drop into the middle of nowhere, you'll usually find nothing.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Anybody else like watching the Polygon boys stream? I really appreciate it because it's not a bunch of ultra twitch-shot killing machines but instead a bunch of goofy brothers/friends having a fun time and doing a terrible job playing PUBG just like me.

Their most recent stream had a particularly hilarious string of events:
- Boy 1 gets hit by a squadmate who is driving a jeep, going down to ~10% health.
- After a few stops Boy 1 (still very injured) hops in the driver seat and is now driving everyone.
- Boy 1 asks, "I wonder if I can plow through these hay bales?" and slams into one at full speed.
- Damage is such that Boy 1 gets knocked out of the car, and knocked out altogether.
- Everyone piles out of the car to try and revive Boy 1 and are immediately murdered by another squad who watched everything (and likely died laughing too.)

:discourse:

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Combat Pretzel posted:

No, its quite random. Buildings have the most spots items can drop, so the higher the density of buildings, the better more likely you will see good weapons/items. This is why people like to drop in places like 3 stories apartments or at the military base, where there are a ton of buildings. Some people also claim that certain areas like the military base spawn better quality weapons, but I'm not sure anyone has verified that.

Like any novel experience, the game takes some getting used to. As you play more you will develop an idea of where is popular, and thus what will likely land you in quick combat scenarios vs. where you can drop if you want to take your time and not encounter anyone right away. You will also get much faster at looting, which helps.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Megasabin posted:

...Some people also claim that certain areas like the military base spawn better quality weapons, but I'm not sure anyone has verified that.

I definitely believe that. I mostly loot at novo and if me and my buddy get to properly loot the place we get out of there each with a SCAR/M4 + SKS/Kar98 + optics almost every time. The container area seems to spawn good weapons, optics, armor and meds. The only thing we consistently have to search the houses or small grey sheds for is attachments which seem to very rarely drop in/on the containers, which could be because attachments are too low on the quality list.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Megasabin posted:

Some people also claim that certain areas like the military base spawn better quality weapons, but I'm not sure anyone has verified that.

This is definitely true. Checking 100 loot spots in Yasnaya apartments doesn't yield anywhere near the same quality loot as 100 loot spots in the military base, or even in Novo or the south Georgopol container areas. The hangers in Primorsk, Lipovka and the Quarry/Crater give higher quality loot per loot spot too.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Drops are randomized but they're seeded out of a loot table and there are higher% loot locations than others.

Don't stop looting. Don't loot 2 houses and find a single pistol and a backpack and get too scared to keep searching. The people who always seem to have a shitload of gear looted a lot of places very fast and efficiently. They also got luckier than you, but they maximized their luck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also, even if you've only found a pistol, that's still plenty good enough to ambush someone who had better luck with looting and take their loot instead. Just as long as they don't have a high-level helmet I guess.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

TracerBullet posted:

Anybody else like watching the Polygon boys stream? I really appreciate it because it's not a bunch of ultra twitch-shot killing machines but instead a bunch of goofy brothers/friends having a fun time and doing a terrible job playing PUBG just like me.

Their most recent stream had a particularly hilarious string of events:
- Boy 1 gets hit by a squadmate who is driving a jeep, going down to ~10% health.
- After a few stops Boy 1 (still very injured) hops in the driver seat and is now driving everyone.
- Boy 1 asks, "I wonder if I can plow through these hay bales?" and slams into one at full speed.
- Damage is such that Boy 1 gets knocked out of the car, and knocked out altogether.
- Everyone piles out of the car to try and revive Boy 1 and are immediately murdered by another squad who watched everything (and likely died laughing too.)

:discourse:

i love it. they're so, so bad, but they kind of lean into it, and they're all funny people.

the Breakfast and Battlegrounds stream that Waypoint does is also pretty good/funny, and they try a little harder to not abjectly suck

e: lmao griffin is so salty in this one

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 14, 2017

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
https://plays.tv/s/LJ42a63ecHUM

This
Stupid loving Useless Idiot Goddamn Motorbike

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
You also stood deadass still while picking it up... Strafing would have helped there.

Number of times I have looted Military base and come out with Optics and level 3s only to die to a motorbike random endo....

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

TheFonz posted:

You also stood deadass still while picking it up... Strafing would have helped there.

God, this. That was painful to watch.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Being taken out in two shots wasn't the issue, it was the bike doing a tumble maneuver after running over thin air. If it hadn't been spooked by a stray leaf and panic flipped I wouldn't have been shot.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I mean, it happens. Mitigate risk in those instances. "Early Access".

You could just get on a custom server and microimprove your motorcycle skills.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Combat Pretzel posted:

You could at least skim the OP, you know

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Rex-Goliath posted:

You could at least skim the OP, you know

One thing that seems rather common sense, but I see a lot of goons who are "Bad at looting" or take forever to find even a pistol so maybe folks don't get it.

Loot is random, the spots are not. The same house layouts have the same loots spawns in the same places. A 2 story south side house in Pochinki takes ~25 seconds to fully check the loot spots.

Open the one door and peek, no need to walk in if there is no loot. Only place I can think that you really need to enter to back check as loot is behind the open door is Military base Barracks.

Edit: Also, get good at what things are by looking at them. Don't walk up to a quickdraw and mouse over to see what it is. They LOOK different than extended mags on the ground.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

TBH, that poo poo is hard to spot. Sometimes it highlights yellow, sometimes not at all.

Either way, I'm getting the hang of it. I'm just surprised how much poo poo other people accumulate very quickly. I see that by checking their inventory when I get someone.

What's kind of annoying is that I see a lot of camping, and these people eventually get killed by the shrinking play zone. They'll probably score more of these BPs even though the game rules got them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mr. Glass posted:

i love it. they're so, so bad, but they kind of lean into it, and they're all funny people.

the Breakfast and Battlegrounds stream that Waypoint does is also pretty good/funny, and they try a little harder to not abjectly suck

e: lmao griffin is so salty in this one

I want to kill/be killed by Awful Squad so bad, only so I can get on global mic and start yelling at Griffin.

Combat Pretzel posted:

TBH, that poo poo is hard to spot. Sometimes it highlights yellow, sometimes not at all.

If you hit "Tab" it will show you loot in your immediate area.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 14, 2017

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

The Mash posted:

This is definitely true. Checking 100 loot spots in Yasnaya apartments doesn't yield anywhere near the same quality loot as 100 loot spots in the military base, or even in Novo or the south Georgopol container areas. The hangers in Primorsk, Lipovka and the Quarry/Crater give higher quality loot per loot spot too.

The secret is you don't really need the most incredible weapons for the close range early fights. You're better off pushing early with a shotgun and level 1 gear than getting caught out of position while looting for the ~perfect setup~

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Either way, I'm getting the hang of it. I'm just surprised how much poo poo other people accumulate very quickly. I see that by checking their inventory when I get someone.

What's kind of annoying is that I see a lot of camping, and these people eventually get killed by the shrinking play zone. They'll probably score more of these BPs even though the game rules got them.

Pro tip: the best way to loot is to let others loot for you- so it sounds like you're already doing it correctly and you just don't realize it.

Once you've found enough gear to hold your own in a firefight you should be heading further into the zone and hunting other people.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Why is discord obsessed with dicks?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

Idk maybe they like dicks. Can we keep this PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds thread on topic please Bobbin?

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Dickgirls, not just dicks. Please observe our customs with reverence.

LE
Oct 19, 2002

How does this make you feel?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

🍆

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

If you were peoples first pick more often you'd know

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Whatever, reddit's server is better.

LE
Oct 19, 2002

You seem upset. Is it because you're bad at the game?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Are you getting the most efficient training done there?

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Then stay there? Post There? Annoy them?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

nerve posted:

Idk maybe they like dicks. Can we keep this PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds thread on topic please Bobbin?

Yes please keep the thread on topic of verbally fellating Grimmmz and endlessly discussing his sub count.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Chomp8645 posted:

Yes please keep the thread on topic of verbally fellating Grimmmz and endlessly discussing his sub count.

Ok lets switch to the morality of private servers, that should be more fun.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

I am so inconvenienced by what others post! Please only post what I like: 0 kill chicken dinners and bad streamers

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
0 kill chicken dinners are the best, we should all try to practice nonviolence in every aspect of our lives.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Inspector_666 posted:

Ok lets switch to the morality of private servers, that should be more fun.

The only morale private server is my private server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Can't wait for them to add better car physics so I can kill people Burnout: Takedown style.

• Locked thread