Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

It's OK everyone already knows Ottawa's organization is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Hockles posted:

Sup Off-Ice Official Bro :hfive:

Monsters

w00t :hfive: gotta love it

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Do the on ice officials give you guys a hard time like asking if you're working in your skating or to have another doughnut?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Scaramouche posted:

Do the on ice officials give you guys a hard time like asking if you're working in your skating or to have another doughnut?

Nah, they are too busy to worry about us plebes.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Scaramouche posted:

They only give us a hard time if you're a goal judge with an itchy trigger finger (I know some of those). It is fun chatting with them during tv timeouts when working in the penalty box

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/freckledbutt/status/874815429042208769
Never leave Hags

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KingShibby posted:

w00t :hfive: gotta love it

Question, is there anything you DON'T do?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

iospace posted:

Shibby don't do rebounds.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Is there going to be a stream of the parade tomorrow?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Golden Man posted:

looking around the league im not sure reinhart is the 10th best d available let alone 6th

I mean I think they could take him and immediately trade him to like Montreal for a 2nd or 3rd.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Like, he literally had to spend time practicing that.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Shibby don't do rebounds.

Nice

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I mean I think they could take him and immediately trade him to like Montreal for a 2nd or 3rd.

You misspelled Beaulieu

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

Like, he literally had to spend time practicing that.

That's why it owns so much

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Imagine I said it in an excited voice, not a confused one.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

In honor of Tayne's ridiculous ban and probe, Go Pittsburgh:

I loving hate baseball, but drat I love PNC Park.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 14, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

Get laid :suicide:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why in the holy hell does Todd Nelson not have an NHL job? Teams should be fighting over this guy.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

cenotaph posted:

Is there going to be a stream of the parade tomorrow?

Check Pens website for a link to a local news channel stream of the parade.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

bewbies posted:

Why in the holy hell does Todd Nelson not have an NHL job? Teams should be fighting over this guy.

fire holland
fire blashill
hire nelson

Juvi
Apr 8, 2003

I AM DOG.

Krime posted:

Check Pens website for a link to a local news channel stream of the parade.

WPXI is live streaming. I believe all 3 have coverage, though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Fun fact, since WW2 Pittsburgh teams are a collective 14-3 (Steelers 6-2, Penguins 5-1, Pirates 3-0) in their sport's championship round

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

14-4 if you count the war itself.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The Pirates horning in on the Penguins is pretty funny. Three Penguins were alive last time the Pirates won a world series. Kunitz wasn't even a month old

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

Three Penguins were alive last time the Pirates won a world series.

Wow.

gently caress global warming.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

it's time for the 2017 SAS Fantasy Draft!!!! it's a fun way to spend the summer, I'm hoping to get the draft going in the first week of July

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823680

come prove your superiority to all of goondom and show the real NHL GMs that they don't know jack

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Ah I see, OK.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Rangers signed Puempel to a new contract so they're compliant with the expansion draft now.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
There was an offer sheet mentioned about Holmgren, but what is an offer sheet in the context of the NHL and why did it make him a crazy man?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

There was an offer sheet mentioned about Holmgren, but what is an offer sheet in the context of the NHL and why did it make him a crazy man?

He signed Shea Weber to a 14 year $110M contract while he was an RFA with the Preds. The Preds matched, but the ensuing drama was fantastic.

https://www.nhl.com/news/weber-agrees-to-14-year-offer-with-flyers/c-638240

In the NHL players under 27 (roughly there are some caveats to that) become restricted free agents when their contracts expire. Players over 28 become UFAs can sign with anyone they like. However, restricted free agents can technically sign with whoever they like (called an offer sheet) as well but their original team has the right to match any contract and the team that signed the player to the offer sheet has to forfeit draft picks as compensation (based on the player's salary - the highest it can go is four 1st round picks) if it's successful (i.e. not matched).

They would be fun it they were ever used, but there's been I think 3 successful offer sheets in the last 20 years or so out of maybe 10-15 extended. There's an unwritten rule among NHL GMs that offer sheets are out of bounds, and they're big news when they actually happen. Offer sheets are generally a pretty serious overpayment for the player in question to make a team think twice about matching it, but Homer's offersheet for Weber was just so insanely expensive and totally against the no offer sheets thing that it had a pretty serious cooling effect on them after that. I think there's been one since (O'Reilly signing with Calgary) and that was immediately matched. Teams just don't use them because they love colluding to keep salaries down.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 14, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Offer sheets are contracts sent to another team's RFA. They're not allowed to negotiate or talk, they just send a contract offer over and the player decides if they want to sign it or not.

If the player signs, the team that owns their rights has a period of time (a week I think?) to match the offer. The player cannot reject this matching.

If the team does not match, the contract is valid but the new team must compensate the old team. The compensation is picks based on the value of the contract. At the high end it can be 4 first round picks but I think that's something crazy like $9 million cap hit these days to get that high.

NHL GMs are old cranky assholes and they hate offer sheets because it either forces their hand, or steals a player. So Homer didn't just do that, but he crafted a crazy one: https://capfriendly.com/players/shea-weber

Philly offer sheeted him and he signed. That contract structure is a poison pill for a smaller market like Nashville. They didn't have cash reserves. At the time it was reported Nashville could barely afford the signing bonus, which is due on day 1 of each season. They matched it anyway because it's Weber but they didn't like it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

As an idea of how rare and not used they are, the last successful offer sheet was ten years ago when the Oilers signed Dustin Penner away from the Ducks and it cost them 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks. It came about a month after the Oilers offer sheeted Thomas Vanek to a 7 year $50M deal but was quickly matched. There have been five offer sheets since, all of them immediately matched and none since 2013.

They were more of a thing in the 90s (mostly because the Blues loved them and sent out about 10 in a 5 year period including one for Scott Stevens that cost them 5 first round picks. They'd have Stevens for all of one year before having to sacrifice him as offer sheet compensation for Brendan Shananan who they also signed because an arbitrator determined they didn't have anything worthwhile to give up.

Since the lockout they've been very rare and really done more as a mean spirited retaliatory thing by GMs than a legitimate attempt at team building.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 14, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

In the bigger picture, Holmgren was convinced teams were built through free agency and trading prospects/picks, and was infamous for signing players to ludicrous deals.

The Weber deal forced Nashville's hand, he was either coming to Philadelphia or would be stuck in Nashville for a long drat time. Weber was thrilled with it because the contract was both gigantic, and completely guaranteed money.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Of course we don't actually know how often they're sent out. Just that they're rarely signed.

Subban received some when he was up, but didn't sign any.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Kalenn Istarion posted:

A team is allowed to offer a contract to another team's restricted free agents, which that player's current team must either match the offer and keep the player for at least one year, or let the player go in exchange for compensation in the form of draft picks commensurate with the player's salary (and the signing team's draft position, of course). It's a dick move because it forces the player's current team to either pay money they might not have, or trade a player they'd rather keep for picks they don't want that probably won't turn into useful players anyway.

Oh hey I have to type faster

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sometimes they result in Brian Burke trying to rent a barn to stage a fist fight so really someone needs to offer sheet Sam Bennett.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

These are the current NHL compensation values:

$1,295,571 and below - Nothing
$1,295,572 to $1,962,986 - 3rd
$1,962,987 to $3,925,975 - 2nd
$3,925,976 to $5,888,960 - 1st and 3rd
$5,888,961 to $7,851,948 - 1st, 2nd and 3rd
$7,851,949 to $9,814,935 - Two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd
$9,814,936 and above - 4 1sts

And also notably you can't offer sheet if you don't have the needed pick in the next draft (or next 2-4 in the top tiers.) And you can't have 2 signed outstanding offers that need the same pick. So teams need to be strategic about it and can't just carpet bomb offer sheets.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 14, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

Rangers signed Puempel to a new contract so they're compliant with the expansion draft now.

Probably an OK hedge on losing Fast to the expansion draft as well. I think Fast is better but Puempel is decent in a 4th line role

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sometimes they result in Brian Burke trying to rent a barn to stage a fist fight so really someone needs to offer sheet Sam Bennett.

If offer sheets make him unhappy then maybe he should've become a swimmer.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
wow, the Rangers also named Jed Ortmeyer as director of player development (taking over for what Drury did I think) as well as Steve Eminger as pro scout. Haven't heard of 'ol Jed in a long time.

Also named Ben Prentiss head of strength and conditioning. Feel like I've heard a lot of players working with him in the offseason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Every team should be preparing a max length/amount offer sheet for McDavid, right now, and if they're not the NHLPA should sue for collusion and or antitrust violations.

• Locked thread