Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They say “smoke extraction”, but I think “bellows”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

shame on an IGA posted:

OSHA topic: Slip Resistant footwear.

Everything SR-Max makes with this tread pattern is goddamn magic.

https://www.srmax.com/mens-shoes/products/SRM2660

Ripping off winter-tire design puts these so far beyond everything else I've ever worn it's shocking, I can tap dance in the lathe oil pan now. It's a genuine shame they aren't doing better marketing or licensing the technology to brands people have heard of because Timberland Pro is straight garbage.

Oh yeah, that's a good tread pattern for a slick shop. I used to work in a screw machine shop (oil coolant, and lots of it) in degrease/deburr/secondary-ops. Degrease & deburr was always slick with oil, or water, or water on top of oil, on painted concrete.

I wore Redwing 6662's with a similar pattern and never had a traction problem. Walking to the car during a Minnesota winter could be a bit hair raising though.

The "tread" on the older version was
well

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Guess the smoke evacuation system they just installed either didn't work or got overwhelmed.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...4b0bdd87e2f6964

quote:

Jody Martin said he got to the scene as the first fire engine was arriving at Grenfell Tower.

He told the BBC: “I grabbed an axe from the fire truck, it looked like there was a bit of confusion about what to do.

“I ran around the building looking for a fire escape and couldn’t see any noticeable fire escapes around the building. A lot of debris falling down.

“I eventually gained entry onto the second floor, and once I got to the corridor I realised there was so much smoke there.”

He added that given the thickness of the smoke, he would be surprised if anyone could have left the building without assistance.

“I watched one person falling out, I watched another woman holding her baby out the window ... hearing screams, I was yelling everyone to get down and they were saying, ‘We can’t leave our apartments, the smoke is too bad on the corridors’,” he said.

quote:

One resident, who did not want to give his name but said he lived “high up” in the tower, said no alarms went off as the fire started.

“I heard my neighbour’s smoke alarm go off, and thought nothing of it. Then I heard a neighbour shouting... I’m lucky to be alive – and lots of people have not got out of the building,” he said. “I’ve lost everything I own. I’m standing here in everything I’ve got.”

The building was an “accident waiting to happen”, he said, and there was not enough space at the base for fire engines to attend the scene.

He and others criticised the lack of information they were receiving. “There’s no coordination from anyone,” he said. “The police have not come to speak to us. We’ve been unable to give anyone our names.

“It’s been five hours. There’s people here who don’t have a clue if their relatives are alive or dead.”

Apparently the building has quite a history with safety hazards.
https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

Guess the smoke evacuation system they just installed either didn't work or got overwhelmed.

Apparently the building has quite a history with safety hazards.
https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/

drat Trump defunded their OSHA as well. Maybe he is evil.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
dude on skytv who lived on the fourth floor says the only reason he is alive is because the guy whose kitchen exploded went around knocking on doors. he also said he had a hard time escaping through the smoke from a low floor and that the only (!) stairway was lined with gas pipes (!!!) so this is probably going to be a bad one

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Canuck-Errant posted:

Well, you don't have to guess at it being aluminum cladding, they just installed ACM cladding a few months ago.

Also the fire happened around 2-3 AM local, so of course everyone in the 120 units was at home and probably asleep.

Plus there was the new smoke evacuation system:

If that's the cause, and Australians already know many many of their tall buildings are covered in the flammable bullshit cladding, I wonder how many will pack up and move

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bumming your scene posted:

If that's the cause, and Australians already know many many of their tall buildings are covered in the flammable bullshit cladding, I wonder how many will pack up and move

The relevant building authorities have been telling the developers "Uhhhm, how about you remove that cladding and replace it with something that's not going to kill everyone?" and they replied with "Would it be okay if we just put in a few extra sprinklers instead? And told people not to clutter up the balconies with random crap that might catch on fire?" and the regulation board went "Nahhhhh, we're pretty keen on the 'remove the flammable cladding' idea" so the developers went "Uh I guess we'll talk to our lawyers to see who's responsible for paying for all that, or maybe we'll just keep fighting in a higher court IDK LOL"
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/combustible-cladding-to-be-stripped-off-lacrosse-docklands-tower-20170116-gtslcj.html

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

boner confessor posted:

the only (!) stairway was lined with gas pipes (!!!)

every time im in the uk i wonder how their entire architectural/structural/civil engineering culture and bureaucracy works, because everything feels like it was designed on the spot by the bottom tier contractor within no plan, codes or auditing for safety or crowd flow modeling or hvac efficiency. never get that feeling anywhere else

like a nation of cramped damp groverhouses

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Residents have been angry for a long time. Tower was a death trap waiting to happen.

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/amp/

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Turns out not only is there a blog predicting this fire from last year, the cladding company has completely sanitised theri website of any mention of doing the work. I wonder if they maybe made some material substitutions. :allears:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TTerrible posted:

Turns out not only is there a blog predicting this fire from last year, the cladding company has completely sanitised theri website of any mention of doing the work. I wonder if they maybe made some material substitutions. :allears:

:thunk:

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Breakfast All Day posted:

every time im in the uk i wonder how their entire architectural/structural/civil engineering culture and bureaucracy works, because everything feels like it was designed on the spot by the bottom tier contractor within no plan, codes or auditing for safety or crowd flow modeling or hvac efficiency. never get that feeling anywhere else

like a nation of cramped damp groverhouses

From what I've seen that pretty much sums it up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch5VorymiL4

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

TTerrible posted:

Do you have a link to their website? Archive.org to the rescue.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wikipedia posted:

On December 10, 1943, Speer visited the underground Mittelwerk V-2 rocket factory that used concentration camp labor. Speer later said he had been shocked by the conditions there (5.7 percent of the work force died that month).

Speer creatively reinterpreted his role after the Allies came to town. I don’t believe for a moment that he felt remorse in 1943.

But that death rate doesn’t lie. :captainpop:

The V‐2 may be the only weapon to kill more people in production than in deployment, despite being deployed in a major conflict.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Jeoh posted:

Do you have a link to their website? Archive.org to the rescue.

It popped up on twitter with an archive.is link, I'll have a dig.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Platystemon posted:

They say “smoke extraction”, but I think “bellows”.

How does it extract smoke without bringing in fresh air containing a new supply of oxygen?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

boner confessor posted:

dude on skytv who lived on the fourth floor says the only reason he is alive is because the guy whose kitchen exploded went around knocking on doors. he also said he had a hard time escaping through the smoke from a low floor and that the only (!) stairway was lined with gas pipes (!!!) so this is probably going to be a bad one

Apparently (at least per the Independent), Muslim residents up early for Ramadan may have played a significant role in alerting residents: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...n-a7789111.html

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

neonbregna posted:

How does it extract smoke without bringing in fresh air containing a new supply of oxygen?

it extracts it to a different part of the same building?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

neonbregna posted:

I think the idea is to overpressure the fire escape routes to keep them clear of smoke so people can evacuate.
Or for other spaces clearing smoke and fumes in the short term saves lives but can condemn​ the structure.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Three-Phase posted:

Geez I haven't browsed through Liveleak in awhile.

Very :nms: :nws: - involves a scaffold. In India this time. You have been warned.
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=aa0_1490421732

Could they have...kicked the scaffolding away? Or kicked his body away? I mean he was probably already dead right but eesh.

edit : I mean his hands were probably death gripping the metal right? so kicking away isn't an option?

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 14, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

neonbregna posted:

Typical sequence of operation where I am is fans pressurize the stairwells with fresh air for evacuation, supply dampers shut to prevent feeding air to the fire, return fans ramp and suck air out of the building through an exhaust damper on the roof. The HAVC won't supply air to the fire but it does make the building negative and will suck air in where it can around the envelope and the stairwell doors harder to open (which is part of why there are supposed to be floor marshals who assist evacuation). I don't think the idea is to keep the fans on the whole time the fire is fought, but just long enough to safely evacuate. There are controls in the fire command room for fire fighters to turn all the fans on or off.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Could they have...kicked the scaffolding away? Or kicked his body away? I mean he was probably already dead right but eesh.

edit : I mean his hands were probably death gripping the metal right? so kicking away isn't an option?

SOP is hit them with something long and non conductive I think, but yeah that's a problem. My dad taught me that you should always touch with the back of your hand to prevent clamping on with a spasm, even if you're sure it's not live, but that's probably bollocks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I hope the patient wasn't still in the wheelchair :ohdear:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I hope the patient wasn't still in the wheelchair :ohdear:

God drat, that's one expensive mistake. Pretty sure they need to quench the system to get that out. If they do the graceful reboot (which doesn't require a recharge of helium) it can take up to two weeks to turn off the magnetic field in those things.

If they had to do a emergency quench (which is almost never), they vent all the He at once and that can cost millions of dollars to recover the system after one of those. Plus there's the whole suffocation risk as the air is displaced by all that He.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
That reminds me of these two particularly OSHA videos:

Snapback? https://youtu.be/6BBx8BwLhqg

Displacement? https://youtu.be/9SOUJP5dFEg

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

SOP is hit them with something long and non conductive I think, but yeah that's a problem. My dad taught me that you should always touch with the back of your hand to prevent clamping on with a spasm, even if you're sure it's not live, but that's probably bollocks.

The back of the hand thing has some truth to it, but its more of a "if you have to be the idiot that gets shocked" advice. There are much safer ways.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Greatest Living Man posted:

That reminds me of these two particularly OSHA videos:

Snapback? https://youtu.be/6BBx8BwLhqg

Displacement? https://youtu.be/9SOUJP5dFEg

As long as the straps and hooks were rated double what the gauge would read, I wouldn't be too concerned with snapback until they'd maxed out the gauge. Venting liquid helium to the atmosphere with a purpose-built ducting, I wouldn't think much of it could hug the ground long enough to asphyxiate anybody.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So they re-did the outer cladding in 2016. Wanna bet it was clad in the same Chinese cheapest-and-deadliest-most-inflammable stuff that has caused a lot of other high-rises to go up in flames previously?

e: Oh there was another page sorry.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 14, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, that's exactly what I said when I saw it on the news this morning.

I blame developers buying stuff they know is dangerous because they also know they'll have cashed their cheque and disappeared into the night long before anyone starts looking to have a word with them about all the burned up corpses.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Isn't the problem with that cladding not the aluminium, but the delicious hydrocarbon fuel sandwiched between the aluminium sheets? The non-fire-hazard stuff you're supposed to use on buildings has a mineral fibre core instead of plastic but that costs more so of course people don't use it.

Edit: http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4243787.htm
Some of it's builders being cheap, some of it is manufacturers/importers being cheap and lying about the product (no doubt some is all of the above)

GotLag fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 14, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GotLag posted:

Isn't the problem with that cladding not the aluminium, but the delicious hydrocarbon fuel sandwiched between the aluminium sheets? The non-fire-hazard stuff you're supposed to use on buildings has a mineral fibre core instead of plastic but that costs more so of course people don't use it.

Aluminum itself will burn given enough encouragement, and it's entirely possible that a fully-involved structure fire qualifies.

That's the aluminum superstructure of the USS Belknap before and after it bumped into a carrier, punctured a fuel bunker, and had burning aviation fuel pour all over her.

You can try this yourself: Throw an empty beer can in a campfire. The can will soften, and then sag, breaking the oxide layer on the aluminum, and then once that oxide layer is broken and raw aluminum is exposed to the air the can just goes *poof*.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 14, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Metal fires are awful. Fire fighters get specific training to deal with cars that have magnesium engine blocks.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Even though I work in an office, we get a good lesson about metal fires during our annual Right to Know training, which basically boils down to evacuate and make sure the first responders know what they're dealing with. The operators who actually work with the stuff, and anyone around them, get more intense training, but I still remember my high school science teacher lighting a small strip of magnesium on fire, and yeah holy poo poo, if that stuff looks like it might goes up, I'm moving as fast as possible in the other direction.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

At about 50 seconds in one guy tries kicking the scaffold, achieves little, and just gives up. I wonder if kicking the victim loose would have worked.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
It looked to me like he kicked the dude and got shocked himself -- he's immediately pushed back and doesn't try it again.

One of the classic industrial electrical safety demos is to drop a branch across a pair of high-voltage lines and watch the branch catch fire, as an example of why you don't use a branch try to knock people off the line they've touched.

I'm sure Three-Phase or one o the other electrician types in here can specify exactly, but I think that you're supposed to use a fiberglass pole or something, and if you don't have that welp.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah if somebody is getting electrocuted in that manner, touching them is only going to get you hosed as well as him, you do not do anything unless you have the tools needed, which I believe Sagebrush is correct wrt fiberglass pole.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

It looked to me like he kicked the dude and got shocked himself -- he's immediately pushed back and doesn't try it again.

One of the classic industrial electrical safety demos is to drop a branch across a pair of high-voltage lines and watch the branch catch fire, as an example of why you don't use a branch try to knock people off the line they've touched.

I'm sure Three-Phase or one o the other electrician types in here can specify exactly, but I think that you're supposed to use a fiberglass pole or something, and if you don't have that welp.

One thing we were taught was that you're supposed to really swing a 2x4 and hit the guy with enough force that momentum carries everything clear of the power source, instead of trying to prod or push them. Still seems a bit risky seeing as how electricity is right quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
it's okay as long as you swing the 2x4 at least 186,000 miles per second