Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The REAL Goobusters posted:

You have way too much faith in people.

Do you think that people besides like strawman grandmas get totally different games in the same franchise confused that often? :psyduck:

Wow, Call of Duty must lose so many sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Stormgale posted:

So why didn't they get the dragon's dogma team to make MHW?

Why would Capcom put a team that made a dogshit game on their flagship franchise

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

somehow capcom managed to release a new street fighter on pc/ps4 and a remake of sf2 on the switch without anyone getting confused

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Yea I do see why they won't be bringing XX over until potentially sometime after World as some no-marketing downloadable like the iOS app or those Sega-published Platinum games recently and that seems vanishingly unlikely. Though this marketing ambiguity isn't stopping them from doing Stories lol

It just sucks because XX looks like the best-yet iteration of the thing I know I love and am personally not tired of yet, while World could be rad but is risky and even in the best case scenario probably won't scale up to G-rank where the real challenge is. Getting two ground-floor games in a row when we're used to only getting the super spiffy final products around here is gonna leave people jonesing, are you tryin to reason them out of that? Let ppl be bummed they're not gonna get the game they've spent the last year getting excited for ya goon

Anyway I wonder if World will use a more modern DLC model for adding content, rather than the endless re-releases that the Western market is prone to missing? That might be nice

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 14, 2017

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

At this point I'm just laughing at how my bare minimum, "we're definitely gonna get this" expectation for E3 got flipped on its head and owned me so badly.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Squidtentacle posted:

This makes me very happy to read.

I loved Gen but at the same time, I really, really want the series to try and update its core gameplay better. The most it's really done has been using buttons to attack instead of the right analog stick after 1, and the addition of styles. That plus having the game on a loving TV for once will be a huge bonus.

I'm glad there's some returning monsters, because I will be so happy if the new engine and environments mean they finally, FINALLY update the movesets for Rathian/Rathalos and other gen 1 monsters. Fighting a Rath feels like a boring chore compared to fighting a Seregios IMO, and it holds up for a lot of other older monsters compared to newer ones. All the animations are so stiff and mechanical. I mean, please keep the iconic parts like doing a poison tail flip or flash bombing them out of the sky or the charging fireball spit if you can make em work and feel fun to fight but don't port a 1:1 copy of the Raths just because.

And please sir, no plesioths. And no *dromes. :colbert:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Minrad posted:

I am crossing my fingers for MH5, 5 platforms (pc, nintendo switch, the other consoles/handhelds)

I don't know if there's enough major platforms but my god if I could play Monster Hunter on PC, at 1080p 60 fps, with friends online using a controller. basically I want the next Monster Hunter on PC (yes I know MHO exists)

fuuuuuuuck

personally, E3 met and exceeded my expectations

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

somehow capcom managed to release a new street fighter on pc/ps4 and a remake of sf2 on the switch without anyone getting confused

not released at the same time :rolleyes:

Knowing Capcom and if they do decide on a DLC model for World could be a little worrisome. They're usually really bad about that kind of stuff (release schedules, pricing )

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWD-JNbyde0

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 14, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

According to dengeki

Base camps in the field let you change equipment and can be fast traveled between

There are no paintballs, you track monsters by the impact they leave in the environment (using the bugs)

You can set a waypoint and the bugs will lead you to it

Non quest target monsters will appear more often

You can choose to stay on the map after completing quests

There are natural hazards in the world like falling rocks and poisonous plants

e: maps are still divided into areas just without loading screens, and are more than twice as large

while there is still some animation for using items it seems that you can cancel it now

I can't remember if it's been said but yes there are still cat companions

Damage numbers can be turned off. As people guessed, they're meant to help new players see how effective their attacks are against specific hit areas

Monsters do still express their state through their animations (limping for example)

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 14, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

That all sounds pretty good

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

lets hang out posted:

According to dengeki

Base camps in the field let you change equipment and can be fast traveled between

There are no paintballs, you track monsters by the impact they leave in the environment (using the bugs)

You can set a waypoint and the bugs will lead you to it

Non quest target monsters will appear more often

There are natural hazards in the world like falling rocks and poisonous plants

I noticed that in the trailer. The bugs were like swarming around foot prints and forming a trail. I kind of like "weird domesticated bugs" as a stand-in for Detective Vision, and it matches the kind of "tech tree" that they moved into with the Insect Glaive and kinsects.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

dragon enthusiast posted:

Why would Capcom put a team that made a dogshit game on their flagship franchise

Not surprised someone who likes underwater combat hates Dragon's Dogma.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

:whitewater:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Stormgale posted:

So why didn't they get the dragon's dogma team to make MHW?

Because they put the team that made Monster Hunter 4 on it?

:thunk:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Pretty hot take here friend.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

lets hang out posted:

This is a really nice feature. Looking forward to not missing out on carves because I got knocked off a cliff just before the monster died, or having to split my time harvesting resources beforehand (or just on easier missions).

I really like the bit where other monsters appear frequently, and you can change your equipment mid-mission. The two features work well together, so you don't have to settle for one equipment set that handles both monsters moderately well, and can instead pick out the best and most specialized gear for a given foe at a given time. Multi-monster hunts always felt like they were being held back that way in the past.
The features going well together is, itself, a good sign in my mind, because it suggests they're changing features with the overall balance of the game in mind, rather than completely without consideration. Removing the immobilizing aspect of potion use without considering its effects on the rest of gameplay, but I'm increasingly convinced this team wouldn't change something so intrinsic and just not even consider the impact it might have.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

By change equipment do they also mean shift around my inventory?
Cause I really need that since I sometimes forget to bring something on a hunt.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MH World sounds pretty cool and if nothing else a good attempt to breath fresh life into the series. I just... Need it portable.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Perhaps you've heard of Remote Play On The World's Most Amazing Handheld The PlayStation Vita Means Life?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Golden Goat posted:

By change equipment do they also mean shift around my inventory?
Cause I really need that since I sometimes forget to bring something on a hunt.

Your equipment. You'll probably be able to change your inventory as well.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I was already pretty excited by the prospect of MHW, but the ability to change weapons mid-mission has captured my heart.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

MHW looks pretty neato, and I understand/share the trepidation about getting rid of some of the long-running traditions in the series like hiding damage numbers and zones and all that. Regardless of that, though, it passes the most important test of franchises that undergo changes: if this game didn't have [Franchise Name] in the title, would I be interested? Yes, absolutely, of course, it looks rad as hell. So, yeah, it looks great, and I'm super into it.

Grappling hooks!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've been feeling a bit left out for being apprehensive and wary of Monster Hunter World. Now that I know it's more of an evolution and true change to the series, I'm a little more willing to give it a chance. Although, I don't have any current gen consoles (looking to get a Switch next month), so my plan is to upgrade my PC over the next half-year and wait for that version of the game to come out. I'm sure I'll enjoy it - it's Monster Hunter, after all - but I'm worried about the series' charm and goofiness being reduced.

I would have liked XX to come out, but if it doesn't, it doesn't. It's not the first game we missed out on and it probably won't be the last. Though I'm not terribly looking forward to the prospect of having to play it without understanding most of it, if I really feel like I must then I will. I still haven't truly finished Generations though, so that comes first.

I'm fully ready to eat my words when it comes out, but I do think that the series might suffer a bit from more generic-looking monsters and less "hammy" gameplay. Whatever happens, I'm prepared for the future.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I heard for western audiences they removed all item combining and also the only monsters are piscines.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

*drinks*

*doesn't flex*

:smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

deadly_pudding posted:

I noticed that in the trailer. The bugs were like swarming around foot prints and forming a trail. I kind of like "weird domesticated bugs" as a stand-in for Detective Vision, and it matches the kind of "tech tree" that they moved into with the Insect Glaive and kinsects.

Yea I'm pretty into weird tamed bugs as MH 'detective mode', fits the setting, not intrusive in the aesthetics, and a useful addition especially since paintballs are being replaced with actual tracking.

My dream situation for it is that the bug lamp is upgradable. Maybe it starts simple with just 'they'll go to plants you can harvest and mark tracks' for bare minimum stuff, eventually growing to waypoints and more material scouting and all.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wonder how much after PS4/XB release the PC is going to get World. Like if it's going to be 1-2 months, or just "whenever we get around to it, I dunno".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

IF the dragons dogma guys are doing this...

please

please please please

Let me pick up and throw jaggis.

Let me use the most annoying status inflicting piece of poo poo mobs as items.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 14, 2017

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

They aren't

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Let me pick up and throw my cats at the monsters

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Let me pick up and throw my cats at the monsters

you are the monsters

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

you are the monsters

So he can mount and attack them. You think i'd just throw them in harms way? I'd do that too

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Argas posted:

Your equipment. You'll probably be able to change your inventory as well.

This forever. I hate selecting a default loadout, getting in the zone finding a monster and then oops, no paintballs. Or 1 tranq bomb left. There goes 10 minutes.

I could see how that would hurt balance if you can go back and get infinite healing items though.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

you are the monsters

No that's literally a gameplay mechanic in Dragon's Dogma, you can pick up your dudes and literally hurl them at monsters and they'll latch on and stab the poo poo out of them

Or you can pick up small monsters and pin them while the rest of your group cuts them to ribbons

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe in order to "tone down the anime" Capcom decided to go next gen and replace the cat companions with a dog sidekick for the western audience.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Wrist Watch posted:

No that's literally a gameplay mechanic in Dragon's Dogma, you can pick up your dudes and literally hurl them at monsters and they'll latch on and stab the poo poo out of them

Or you can pick up small monsters and pin them while the rest of your group cuts them to ribbons

If you aren't constantly upswinging your friends to use them as makeshift cannonballs, you've never truly used the great part of greatswords.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Thread has so many new posts I probably missed this, but there's official word now: no MHXX in the west

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-capcom-not-bringing-switch-version-of-mons/1100-6450954/

E3 2017: Capcom Not Bringing Switch Version Of Monster Hunter XX To The US
The company confirms it has no plans to localize the title.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Minrad posted:

Thread has so many new posts I probably missed this, but there's official word now: no MHXX in the west (on the Switch)

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-capcom-not-bringing-switch-version-of-mons/1100-6450954/

E3 2017: Capcom Not Bringing Switch Version Of Monster Hunter XX To The US
The company confirms it has no plans to localize the title.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck off.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Goddamn it, capcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Between this and MvCi I don't know anyone who doesn't hate the poo poo out of Capcom right now lol

e: Some more MHW info from a closed demo tester

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240740696&postcount=736

• Locked thread