Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I made Robert Shaw's face from your av when I read the original post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I struggle a bit with young Frankenstein but I can tell it's quality, but a different type of cinima than I am used to

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
If you dont like it you dont like it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Spaceballs has a handfull of funny ideas.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY has a new favorite as of 12:21 on Jun 14, 2017

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
How can anyone not like Young Einstein??

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Schneider Inside Her posted:

How can anyone not like Young Einstein??

By being sober?

That movie made me so angry merely by existing. Like, the only movie that makes me weep for humanity more than Young Einstein is Chairman of the Board.
And, yes, I realize Yahoo Serious and Carrot Top are different people.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Aleph Null posted:

By being sober?

That movie made me so angry merely by existing. Like, the only movie that makes me weep for humanity more than Young Einstein is Chairman of the Board.
And, yes, I realize Yahoo Serious and Carrot Top are different people.

Subtle Movie Moments: Yahoo Serious and Carrot Top are Different People

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I bet they're also the kind of person who prefers the Tim Burton Charlie and the chocolate factory to Gene wilders

It's more true to the book in spirit and specifics.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

BiggerBoat posted:

like Igor's shifting hump for instance.

What hump?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

Subtle Movie Moments: Yahoo Serious and Carrot Top are Different People

That is actually a subtle distinction.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Aleph Null posted:

The only movie that makes me weep for humanity more than Young Einstein is Chairman of the Board.

Spelt b o r e d.

Prime Norm moment.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Sorry to say, I watched Young Frankenstein about 6 months ago (for the first time in at least 20 years) and while not a bad film, it definately didn't hold up as well as I remember. I'm almost scared to try Blazing Saddles now for that reason even though in the 80's I thought it was the funniest thing I ever seen..

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aleph Null posted:

The only joke I remember from Men in Tights is when Elwes mentions he actually had an English accent.

There's also the lost key to the chastity belt.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

There's also the lost key to the chastity belt.

Did you say "Abe Lincoln"

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

kaesarsosei posted:

Sorry to say, I watched Young Frankenstein about 6 months ago (for the first time in at least 20 years) and while not a bad film, it definately didn't hold up as well as I remember. I'm almost scared to try Blazing Saddles now for that reason even though in the 80's I thought it was the funniest thing I ever seen..

I feel like Young Frankenstein sort of falls apart by the end. It's, like, 3/4s of a good movie but once the Puttin' On the Ritz scene stops you can safely tune out because I don't recall anything funny happening after that.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

BiggerBoat posted:

How the gently caress can anyone like Young Frankenstein?

I'm voting trump in 2020 because of this comment. YOU MADE ME DO THIS.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sometimes Spaceballs seems like it has something funny to say but there is also a lot of unfunny stuff. I know it's hard to do a scifi comedy, but jeez that theme song...

Blazing Saddles on the other hand still feels very sincere, the title song is so perfect.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
No sir I didn't see you playing with your dolls again!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Blazing Saddles on the other hand still feels very sincere, the title song is so perfect.

Apparently the title song was completely sincere. They hired famous crooner Frankie Laine to sing it and didn't tell him it was for a comedy.

If you don't recognise that name you might recognise his version of these songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sLwPziSznU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KPplYp7K7M

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently the title song was completely sincere. They hired famous crooner Frankie Laine to sing it and didn't tell him it was for a comedy.

If you don't recognise that name you might recognise his version of these songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sLwPziSznU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KPplYp7K7M

I think this story is on the dvd and it rules.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Feel like you gotta play it straight. That's why Leslie Nielsen is so funny.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Feel like you gotta play it straight. That's why Leslie Nielsen is so funny.

On a nicely related note:

Before this guy appeared in Blazing Saddles:

He was in Dr Strangelove as this guy:

No-one told him it was a comedy

quote:

Fellow actor James Earl Jones recalls, "He was Major Kong on and off the set—he didn't change a thing—his temperament, his language, his behavior." Pickens was not told that the movie was a comedy and was only given the script for scenes he was in, to get him to play it "straight".

Kubrick biographer John Baxter explains, in the documentary Inside the Making of Dr. Strangelove:

As it turns out, Slim Pickens had never left the United States. He had to hurry and get his first passport. He arrived on the set, and somebody said, "Gosh, he's arrived in costume!", not realizing that that's how he always dressed ... with the cowboy hat and the fringed jacket and the cowboy boots—and that he wasn't putting on the character—that's the way he talked.

Pickens, who had previously played only minor supporting and character roles, said his appearance as Maj. Kong greatly improved his career. He later commented, "After Dr. Strangelove the roles, the dressing rooms and the checks all started getting bigger."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Blazing Saddles still holds up. I watched it again when Gene Wilder died.
Spaceballs is bad but I think "We ain't found poo poo!" is one of the funniest lines ever.
I've only seen the remake of the Producers, which is probably shameful.
Young Frankenstein is good. Men in Tights is awful.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The Major rear end in a top hat sequence in Spaceballs will always be funny

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Men in Tights is awful.

I loved it as a kid, and I know it hasn't held up very well...but there's one joke in Men in Tights that still gets me every time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXRb6nPcx10

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
The best little joke in Space Balls is how much David Prowse sounds like Rick Moranis. Or maybe it's the other way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQFho0_G1VI

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I rewatched Dr. Strangelove recently and I remembered that they hadn't told one actor it was a comedy, but I couldn't remember who, and as the film went on I thought, well, could be any of them really. Probably not Peter Sellers though.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Slim Pickens

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

As stated above, yes, and I looked it up after. :)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I rewatched Dr. Strangelove recently and I remembered that they hadn't told one actor it was a comedy, but I couldn't remember who, and as the film went on I thought, well, could be any of them really. Probably not Peter Sellers though.

I thought it was George C. Scott.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

I thought it was George C. Scott.

Supposedly Kubrick encouraged him to wildly overact in "practice" takes that Kubrick then used in the film.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So many films don't hold up. Even Blazing Saddles suffers because the N word stopped being hilarious around 1987.

The Naked Gun films are just as funny as when they first came out. Airplane is still pretty funny, but only for older people because young people don't get any of the air travel jokes.

And Slim Pickens best role is still 1941.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spaceballs is bad but I think "We ain't found poo poo!" is one of the funniest lines ever.

It's super well delivered, and it's made even funnier to a subset of people who recognize Tim Russ from his role as Tuvok the angry stoic from Star Trek Voyager.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Novum posted:

No sir I didn't see you playing with your dolls again!

gently caress, even in the future nothing works!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

So many films don't hold up. Even Blazing Saddles suffers because the N word stopped being hilarious around 1987.

The Naked Gun films are just as funny as when they first came out. Airplane is still pretty funny, but only for older people because young people don't get any of the air travel jokes.

And Slim Pickens best role is still 1941.

I'm 25 and think Airplane is the funniest movie of all time. The joke density is so extreme that you could not get 40% of the movie and still laugh your rear end off.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
"Practice takes" or no, I will never believe that George C. Scott could do those scenes and not understand that the movie is a comedy. His character is absolutely ridiculous(as are several others that he shares scenes with).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Considering how many real takes Kubrick made his actors perform, I kind of doubt he put too many "practice takes" in the movie. Maybe he wasn't as anal back then.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

I'm 25 and think Airplane is the funniest movie of all time. The joke density is so extreme that you could not get 40% of the movie and still laugh your rear end off.

The first time I saw Naked Gun was on cable. I was a teenager and my mom told me to stop laughing so much because nothing could be that funny. She was wrong.

Fake edit: the line in Airplane 2 where they said they'd have to "blow the computer" and the computer was happy about it was when I first learned what a blow job was because my helpful older brother was happy to explain it.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Basebf555 posted:

"Practice takes" or no, I will never believe that George C. Scott could do those scenes and not understand that the movie is a comedy. His character is absolutely ridiculous(as are several others that he shares scenes with).

George C Scott was a weird dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

One thing I really liked on Dr. Strangelove is every character name is some sort of sexual reference / innuendo. Just to really drive home the masculine/sex = war message.

Mandrake - Aphrodisiac
Merkin - Pubic Wig
Buck Turgidson - Male Deer / Aroused
Jack D. Ripper - Sexual Predator
Bat Guano - Aphrodisiac
King Kong - All for the love of a gril
Ambassador De Sade-ski - Count de Sade of Sadism